Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I know Steam releases new games at 10 AM, but what time does PSN update their releases? It'd be amazing if I could play it on the train to work at 7:40 AM EST.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

limited posted:

In relevance to the original, if anyone wants to see just how badly you could break the original BoI Xaiter and some other folks in his LP pulled the game to pieces.

Thats pretty low end on the craziness scale, look at this one! Skip to the end to see full screen lasers and teeth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuEmLW1SU50

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
My guess on the effects of the Negative: allows you into the Dark Room after defeating Sheol, but automatically kills you when you reach your last half heart. (The Polaroid has been changed to match; you only receive an invincibility window upon getting to your last half heart of any kind, preventing permanent Polaroid invincibility from being a thing.) Upon defeating Mom, if both are unlocked, you will be given a choice to take one or the other but not both.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
It's been stated that the access for the Chest/Dark Room is different. Also that the Polaroid is a collectable instead of a trinket.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

IMJack posted:

It's been stated that the access for the Chest/Dark Room is different. Also that the Polaroid is a collectable instead of a trinket.

My understanding is that the Polaroid being a passive upgrade instead of a trinket is the only change to Chest access, though I'm fully prepared to be wrong.

vuohi
Nov 22, 2004

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

Thats pretty low end on the craziness scale, look at this one! Skip to the end to see full screen lasers and teeth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuEmLW1SU50

tl;dw version: Dude exploits a Greed room by grinding it for about an hour for Steam sale drops. His method is killing Greed but leaving his underlings alive which keeps the room in the uncleared state, then going out and back in for a new Greed. Then he rerolls (D6+Habit) about 6 Steam sales at the same time which eventually leads to the item pool running out of use items and dropping only power-up items. He ends up having about every single damage+ item in the game and yelling "are you not entertained" to the viewers of his stream.

...but I recommend that you leave it running on the side while you read something. You'll appreciate the glorious stupidity more that way.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Why do runners go out of their way to not pick up soul hearts til the end of the floor?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

dis astranagant posted:

Why do runners go out of their way to not pick up soul hearts til the end of the floor?

Curse rooms. You don't wanna waste a soul heart for nothing basically.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
A soul heart also can't be replenished like regular health can, so if you know you're not really in danger of actually dying (ie: if you have thousands of hours in the game and can beat most floors while only taking a hit or two) then it's better to beat the floor with your normal health, refill it if you need to with any hearts that are lying around, then grab the soul hearts before moving on.

That way any incidental damage you took doesn't really matter, rather than potentially wasting a soul heart if you walked into a room with a bad layout or something.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Bombs are pretty much the easiest way to win the game every playthrough (as long as you get 99 bombs :D)

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Sometimes I think the RNG hates me. I've been playing the game since WotL dropped, and tonight was the first time I'd ever seen Teratoma in action. Really.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Choco1980 posted:

Sometimes I think the RNG hates me. I've been playing the game since WotL dropped, and tonight was the first time I'd ever seen Teratoma in action. Really.

I have still never seen Triachnid :(

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Made my last run of BoI tonight and uninstalled in preparation for Rebirth. Didn't get any God achievements, but I did beat the Chest properly once. Hopefully, I'll do better in Rebirth since I'm getting in at launch instead of a year later.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

dis astranagant posted:

It also lets you have a buffer if you go into heart debt on a devil deal. If you go for a two heart deal when you only have one heart you can pick those up afterwards so you won't die instantly if you get hit.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Tried the Purist challenge one last time. Managed to save an Emperor card from Utero to use in the Cathedral. Skipped all the way to the final boss.

It didn't go over too well.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Good-Natured Filth posted:

Made my last run of BoI tonight and uninstalled in preparation for Rebirth. Didn't get any God achievements, but I did beat the Chest properly once. Hopefully, I'll do better in Rebirth since I'm getting in at launch instead of a year later.

It's only going to be harder.

:getin:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Soul Glo posted:

It's only going to be harder.

:getin:

at least the difficulty won't be from wrestling with flash

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Just had a great habit + d6 + polyphemus/small rcok/max fire rate run end because I forgot that spikes do a full heart of damage while trying to abuse rerolls with a sun cards :negative:

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

at least the difficulty won't be from wrestling with flash

When I first bought BoI, I was on a poo poo computer that went into a very smooth and playable slomo whenever things got hectic. Flash made the game significantly easier.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I have a feeling it might actually be easier since you can combine items instead of being picky. Trying to remember the quirks of the flash code was the hardest part for me.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Just had my first broken run, using probably the easiest method of breaking the game.

Got the D20 early and the Habit in a store in the Caves. Used a blood donation machine to get some coins in a room, rolled them into a new batch of items that included some chests. As long as you don't pick up the items and have a way to damage yourself and recharge the D20, eventually the chests that spawn will increase the number of items in the room, and then you can start opening gold chests for items. Got the D6 in the gold chests, and the rest is pretty obvious.

Unfortunately, Mom didn't drop the Polaroid, so I couldn't go to the Chest with the Knife, Poly and all the damage upgrades :(

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Uhhh, Mom always drops the Polaroid.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
not if you've already seen it, i think?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Soul Glo posted:

Apparently if you reroll a Polaroid with the D20, which I definitely did at some point, there's a chance Mom won't drop it. She dropped a tarot card on me.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Tollymain posted:

not if you've already seen it, i think?

I've definitely gotten it that way still. I've had the Polaroid drop on the first couple floors and went on without it since Mom always drops it.

PostNouveau posted:

Apparently if you reroll a Polaroid with the D20, which I definitely did at some point, there's a chance Mom won't drop it. She dropped a tarot card on me.

Weird. So, so weird.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Soul Glo posted:

Only if the trinket pool isn't empty. If you've already seen every trinket you won't get a Polaroid from Mom.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

dis astranagant posted:

Only if the trinket pool isn't empty. If you've already seen every trinket you won't get a Polaroid from Mom.

Huh! Learn something new about Isaac every day, I guess.

Part of me thinks Rebirth is going to take forever for everyone to figure out, and part of me thinks it'll take two weeks because there's no way it'll be as weird/buggy/glitchy as original Isaac.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Vargs posted:

When I first bought BoI, I was on a poo poo computer that went into a very smooth and playable slomo whenever things got hectic. Flash made the game significantly easier.

unfortunately, my flash lag wasn't exactly kind to me and at times it made trying to play the game akin to repeatedly ramming my foot into the wall

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Well, I tried using a VPN in Japan, and the 'unlocks in' counter displayed the exact same amount of time as in my normal time zone, so I think we aren't going to have any luck playing the game early. Oh well, 37 hours til unlock.

SecretSquirrel
Jun 3, 2003

Masticator

About to give up and wait for Rebirth, I give finding Ultra Pride one more try. My second run, I find him and blow him to kingdom come! I'm a Platinum God and I can uninstall BoI and wait until Tuesday when I can work at it again!

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
Wait why are people uninstalling Wrath of the Lamb? Like, for ceremony, or for some specific Steam-based reason that I don't know about?

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe

BJPaskoff posted:

I know Steam releases new games at 10 AM, but what time does PSN update their releases? It'd be amazing if I could play it on the train to work at 7:40 AM EST.

North American region: between 1pm to 5pm Eastern / 10am to 2pm Pacific Tuesday
European region: on or after 12pm GMT Wednesday

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
where we're going, we won't need wrath of the lamb :unsmigghh:

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.
Just as a heads up the Steam version will apparently have a whopping 178 achievements! :stare:

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Cobalt60 posted:

Wait why are people uninstalling Wrath of the Lamb? Like, for ceremony, or for some specific Steam-based reason that I don't know about?

Because there won't be any point in playing it again.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Cobalt60 posted:

rebirth is legit just the first game but better in every single way so if you're not aiming for all the achievements still or something like that then there's no reason to have it installed

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ShadeofDante posted:

Just as a heads up the Steam version will apparently have a whopping 178 achievements! :stare:

After Tales of Maj'Eyal and it's 1,330+ achievements, those numbers do not scare me.

...Plus, you know most of 'em are just gonna be items unlocking an' stuff, like it was in the original.

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

CERTIFIED FRESH AS HELL DOC MAKER

ChibiSoma posted:

After Tales of Maj'Eyal and it's 1,330+ achievements, those numbers do not scare me.

...Plus, you know most of 'em are just gonna be items unlocking an' stuff, like it was in the original.

To be fair, ToME has maybe 150-200 unique achievements that have copies for each difficulty setting.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

ShadeofDante posted:

:vince:

Well, there goes my productivity. Like, forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

ShadeofDante posted:

Christ. They all most likely connect to the 178 secrets. That's a lot of poo poo to unlock. For the record, the original only had about 97 secrets. Rebirth has almost twice that. Yiiiiiiiiiiiiiikes.