Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Wow, what an awesome fight vs Isaac. I stood behind Trinity shield and Dry Baby and blasted him into oblivion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
OH MY GOD I FORGOT I WAS HOLDING A TAROT CLOTH AND POPPED JERA AT THE START OF THE CHEST.

16 GOLD CHESTS! I HAVE 23 KEYS!

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Lilith also starts with Cambion Conception, which will spawn a Devil-room familiar when you take enough damage, so that's most likely what happened.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
So this run continues to be the coolest so far. Early on I got an item that made me immune to explosions. After that I got bomb upgrade after bomb upgrade. I have Mr. Mega and Butt Bombs. Two Incubuses + 20/20 vision makes both of them fire two shots at a time. I just found Mr. Fetus and now I'm firing four bombs (that I'm immune to) per shot. I also have Glitter Bombs so all these bombs are dropping endless consumables for me.

What even is this game.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Wildtortilla posted:

OH MY GOD I FORGOT I WAS HOLDING A TAROT CLOTH AND POPPED JERA AT THE START OF THE CHEST.

16 GOLD CHESTS! I HAVE 23 KEYS!

Yeah I'd say fighting ??? before heading back to Stanley is a safe bet

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Wildtortilla posted:

So this run continues to be the coolest so far. Early on I got an item that made me immune to explosions. After that I got bomb upgrade after bomb upgrade. I have Mr. Mega and Butt Bombs. Two Incubuses + 20/20 vision makes both of them fire two shots at a time. I just found Mr. Fetus and now I'm firing four bombs (that I'm immune to) per shot. I also have Glitter Bombs so all these bombs are dropping endless consumables for me.

What even is this game.

Fill the room with Glitter Bomb trash, then D20.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SiKboy posted:

2) Backasswards. loving Backasswards. This is what I was beating my head off when I quit playing before. Does anyone have any hints to make this less painful, or is it "Just keep trying until it hands you a combination of items which can beat Mega Stanley"? I'm kind of out of practice with fighting MS as I've been off the game for a while, and backasswards gives you 8-10 random items so you are significantly less powerful than I'd normally be fighting the bastard. If I keep it up long enough I'll eventually get a pyromaniac/exploding shots combination that would trivialise him, but its pure RNG.

I did this one yesterday for the first time in forever. Died a bunch, eventually spawned with a Mom's Knife. Random items is a real dicey way to start a run, and even getting OP starting weapons isn't a guarantee because once you beat Mega Stanley, you still have to go backward through Sheol and the Wombs.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Well that was a fun run. I filled so many rooms with consumables while farming upgrade pills. I don't really know what happened during the Mega Stanley fight because I just fired off bombs and let all the AOE damage clear the room and stun everything. I think I saw some bosses or mini bosses maybe? I even went into it with an I'm Drowsy pill so everything attacked me in slow motion, which didn't really matter cause all of my bombs stunned everything in the room.

In one run I went from zero Lilith completion marks to four completion marks.

This game

god drat.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

SiKboy posted:

This thread being active again has actually got me back into playing Issac. 1000000% is the last achievement I have outstanding (on the PS4). I've two challenges left, Ultra Hard and Backasswards, and, while I've beaten Delirium with all characters, it looks like some of them havent done it on Hard difficulty. Kind of want to get that knocked off before the final expansion comes out and adds a bunch of stuff you also need to do/unlock/see to get the achievment. So a couple of questions for people who have actually completely done everything;

1) Do I need to beat delirium on Hard with those characters who have only beat him on normal? As far as I know beating him on Hard doesnt unlock anything else once you have done it with one character, so I'm assuming not but best to check.

2) Backasswards. loving Backasswards. This is what I was beating my head off when I quit playing before. Does anyone have any hints to make this less painful, or is it "Just keep trying until it hands you a combination of items which can beat Mega Stanley"? I'm kind of out of practice with fighting MS as I've been off the game for a while, and backasswards gives you 8-10 random items so you are significantly less powerful than I'd normally be fighting the bastard. If I keep it up long enough I'll eventually get a pyromaniac/exploding shots combination that would trivialise him, but its pure RNG.

3) Ultra Hard seems to be a bit of a bastard as well. I glanced at the wiki and saw "no hearts drop" and thought it'd be a challenge, I didnt realise that means anything that would normally drop hearts drops nothing instead, until I used my only bomb on a fake rock which dropped... gently caress all. I dont have a question here, more just a complaint.

1) You do. Every character has an associated co-op baby which unlocks from getting every completion mark, which naturally count towards 1000000%.

2) Sadly it pretty much is just down to resetting until you get something not poo poo. And it can take a hell of a while since you'll be rolling into utility items like Steam Sale or garbage items that hurt more than they help.

3) A key thing to remember, for what it's worth given the RNG-ness of it anyway, is that Ultra Hard removes health drops but does not remove health gains. The Nail, Satanic Bible, Book of Rev., and/or Balls of Steel pills all grant you soul hearts rather than drop them, so you can still use those to keep yourself afloat. Meanwhile Hierophant cards do nothing whatsoever.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Also, a topic for discussion: Is there a worse (passive) item in the game than Explosivo? I feel like it has zero redeeming qualities or interesting synergies. In fact, it has a number of pretty bad anti-synergies. And Fire Mind is basically a superior version of it, and most people don't even like Fire Mind much to begin with.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

John Murdoch posted:

Also, a topic for discussion: Is there a worse (passive) item in the game than Explosivo? I feel like it has zero redeeming qualities or interesting synergies. In fact, it has a number of pretty bad anti-synergies. And Fire Mind is basically a superior version of it, and most people don't even like Fire Mind much to begin with.

I've had one successful run which I attribute my victory solely to Explosivo. I got next to no damage ups, suffered a few damage downs, but had a very high rate of fire. Only enemies that could disappear or duck underground gave me problems. Without the 60 damage explosion I wouldn't have done enough damage to get through any of the later parts of the run.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Explosivo can be awkward in regular rooms but it's very good against most bosses. I assume it falls off Delirium though which is bad

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

John Murdoch posted:

I like Explosivo a lot more than Fire Mind because the explosions are predictable.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

PostNouveau posted:

I like Explosivo a lot more than Fire Mind because the explosions are predictable.

Honestly despite Fire Mind being "invisible" vs. the sticky bomb tears, I find it way more controllable due to its instantaneousness. If I'm in a position where it blowing up would be bad, then I can generally just stop firing and reposition. The DoT effect also helps compensate for that and in general is an immediate DPS improvement. The explosion effect also scales with luck so I can elect to reduce its proc rate by avoiding luck ups (granted, this doesn't feel good, but it is a choice I can make).

Meanwhile Explosivo's proc doesn't scale in any way outside of damage and the lack of impact damage on the sticky tears means it's often doubly dangerous because instead of killing the enemy I'm shooting at I'm turning it into a walking bomb. Sure, it will die however many seconds from now, but that's backloading my damage by a hell of a lot considering how many enemies A) doggedly chase after you and B) need to die ASAP because they'll gently caress you up left unchecked. Against enemies that can shake off sticky tears it's an outright DPS down. The tears also can get too big and start obscuring stuff, which sucks no matter how you slice it.

Wildtortilla posted:

I've had one successful run which I attribute my victory solely to Explosivo. I got next to no damage ups, suffered a few damage downs, but had a very high rate of fire. Only enemies that could disappear or duck underground gave me problems. Without the 60 damage explosion I wouldn't have done enough damage to get through any of the later parts of the run.

That's entirely fair, but I feel like there's other items that would do the same thing without being as unwieldy or unpredictable. Dr. or Epic Fetus can turn things around the same way, Blood Clot and Chemical Peel can add raw, non-adjusted tear damage, Knife is a bit of a drag with low damage but is still probably better overall than tears at that point, etc.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jul 21, 2020

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

John Murdoch posted:

Honestly despite Fire Mind being "invisible" vs. the sticky bomb tears, I find it way more controllable due to its instantaneousness. If I'm in a position where it blowing up would be bad, then I can generally just stop firing and reposition. The DoT effect also helps compensate for that and in general is an immediate DPS improvement. The explosion effect also scales with luck so I can elect to reduce its proc rate by avoiding luck ups (granted, this doesn't feel good, but it is a choice I can make).

Meanwhile Explosivo's proc doesn't scale in any way outside of damage and the lack of impact damage on the sticky tears means it's often doubly dangerous because instead of killing the enemy I'm shooting at I'm turning it into a walking bomb. Sure, it will die however many seconds from now, but that's backloading my damage by a hell of a lot considering how many enemies A) doggedly chase after you and B) need to die ASAP because they'll gently caress you up left unchecked. Against enemies that can shake off sticky tears it's an outright DPS down. The tears also can get too big and start obscuring stuff, which sucks no matter how you slice it.

Gotta stick and move man. ABS Always Be Sticking and Moving

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I love explosivo. What you’re not taking into account there is that sure you’re backloading your damage, but once you stick an explosive shot on an enemy you don’t have to stay in their line of fire. You run to safety, and let them explode from a safe distance. So while it does increase the amount of time it takes to kill the enemy, it reduces the amount of time you’re actually engaged with them, which saves on damage. It doesn’t really cost much time either since as soon as you stick an enemy you can move right on to the next one.

Sure there are some enemies and bosses that it doesn’t work against, but only the bosses it doesn’t work against are truly a problem. That in turn is made up for by the fact that it decimates the bosses it does work against. The only time having explosivo ever really stings for me is against Scolex.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I mean, you can say the same of Fire Mind's DoT effect (and DoT effects in general; Sinus Infection owns bones). The problem is that tons of enemies chase after you, move randomly, or both (spiders). There's no getting out of any sort of line of fire there, in fact you're increasing their threat range by putting a bomb on them.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Sure there is. I rarely if ever find myself in a position where I cannot protect myself from an enemy which is about to explode. To take the red spiders example: they only move in a straight line, so if you put yourself on the other side of an obstacle you can keep them from getting near you. Ultimately it’s a question how how good you are at positioning. For the record, I also love fire mind.

You know what I don’t love? The explosive flies spawned by mini-War. gently caress those, I can’t control them for poo poo.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I finally joined twitter to memorialize the first time I broke the game:

https://twitter.com/wildtortilla/status/1285671803625644032

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Wildtortilla posted:

lol that's a pretty good one

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Ariong posted:

Sure there is. I rarely if ever find myself in a position where I cannot protect myself from an enemy which is about to explode. To take the red spiders example: they only move in a straight line, so if you put yourself on the other side of an obstacle you can keep them from getting near you. Ultimately it’s a question how how good you are at positioning. For the record, I also love fire mind.

You know what I don’t love? The explosive flies spawned by mini-War. gently caress those, I can’t control them for poo poo.

I was talking regular old black spiders. Granted, my take is highly slanted towards Eden play where your starting stats could be anywhere from godly to trash (including the all important speed you often need to stay the hell away from exploding enemies), but even with fantastic stats it's still entirely possible due to dumb RNG to shoot multiple sticky bombs in a row such that instead of dying the spider runs right into you and then insult to injury the first bomb goes off for even more damage. And it's rarely a simple matter of positioning because there's tons of Basement/Burning/Cellar rooms that pull nasty poo poo and don't let you easily avoid every enemy like it was nothing, often hinging on tear knockback to help make space (I don't remember if Explosivo shots even induce knockback). Honestly if it completely replaced your tears with sticky bombs I would probably like it more.

And see, I actually really, really love 7 Seals and think it's super underrated. But I will agree that the vagaries of fly behavior in general can be obnoxious and that the explosive flies keenly highlight all of those issues.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jul 21, 2020

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

John Murdoch posted:

And see, I actually really, really love 7 Seals and think it's super underrated. But I will agree that the vagaries of fly behavior in general can be obnoxious and that the explosive flies keenly highlight all of those issues.

7 SEALS RULES. It's an auto pick up in every one of my games. Especially if I'm playing with fly/familiar boosting items.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Wildtortilla posted:

Don’t get me wrong this is really cool- but it’s nowhere even *close* to breaking the game. Trust me. You’ll know when you have

hint: in this case you still could manage to describe the fight to us

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

I was talking regular old black spiders. Granted, my take is highly slanted towards Eden play where your starting stats could be anywhere from godly to trash (including the all important speed you often need to stay the hell away from exploding enemies), but even with fantastic stats it's still entirely possible due to dumb RNG to shoot multiple sticky bombs in a row such that instead of dying the spider runs right into you and then insult to injury the first bomb goes off for even more damage. And it's rarely a simple matter of positioning because there's tons of Basement/Burning/Cellar rooms that pull nasty poo poo and don't let you easily avoid every enemy like it was nothing, often hinging on tear knockback to help make space (I don't remember if Explosivo shots even induce knockback). Honestly if it completely replaced your tears with sticky bombs I would probably like it more.

I was talking about black spiders too, I just used the wrong name. Anyway, I don’t really know what else to say other than that I just don’t have this problem, so there must be some way to mitigate it.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Backasswards is pretty much the only time I've actually fought Mega Satan rather than just obliterating him with whatever broken poo poo I got out of The Chest

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Just checking in to confirm the "Bitch about it in the thread" rule still applies; Backassward has been completed. Thought I had it with a run that gave me a tarot card drop in the mega satan fight, letting me teleport out, but it didnt have enough other stuff to deal with regular satan. The next run after that had epic fetus and strange attractor so all the stuff he summoned was attracted to the crosshairs and I could just focus on dodging, and even with stuff being removed every floor the run absolutely snowballed.

So just Ultra Hard and some hard mode deleriums to go! In that order I think.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Don’t get me wrong this is really cool- but it’s nowhere even *close* to breaking the game. Trust me. You’ll know when you have

hint: in this case you still could manage to describe the fight to us

That's fair. How's this: it was my first time having a self-sustaining cycle that only increased in power.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I think I rerolled like 30 times before I was able to beat backasswards, probably got like 4 Mega Satan kills total. My winning run actually had missigno which was nice because it bumped me up to full health every floor. Protip: try to clear out the dark room after beating Mega Satan. You'll build up a bunch of items which makes you less likely to lose whatever OP ones allowed you to get passed him.

John Murdoch posted:

I'd take explosivo over fire mind 99 times out of 100, the 1 being a run where I have explosion immunity. It does kind of suck that so many of your tears initially do nothing on impact, but I at least am way less prone to blowing myself up with it and it is a huge damage increase. For me at least shooting something is one of the main way of dealing with an enemy that's right up in my face, and it's really hard for me to break that habit for fire mind.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

That's fair. How's this: it was my first time having a self-sustaining cycle that only increased in power.

now the game is just chasing that feeling for the next 100 hours or whatever

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

I think I was lucky and took care of Bassackwards one-and-done. I just came back to the game to try and finish off Ultra-Hard, though (my last challenge), and that mode is torture. You can't set up a breaking run when every item pickup is rolling the dice, and even good (read: satanic bible) runs take forever to clear floors with lack of mapping and random teleports. I've gotten as far as satan once or twice, but there's always something to trip me up.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Started an Eden run, ended up with the Bible, the Goat Head, and Equality.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Did a Daily Run and got Diplopia, then managed to roll Eden's Blessing. I was super excited because I've been finishing out the last four or five hardmode checkmarks for some of the tougher characters like The Keeper and ??? (I've managed to drop Delerium on hard with everyone, it's Boss Rush and Hush that are the tougher ones). I pop Diplopia, grab two Eden's Blessings, finish the run and start up a Keeper hard run... Only to find out that it didn't grant an item in a normal run since I got it on a daily. Womp womp. Maybe my next daily run will get the items? Who knows.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

John Lee posted:

Started an Eden run, ended up with the Bible, the Goat Head, and Equality.

Shame about those stats though.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

Those tears stayed on screen for a good 5-10 seconds.

I'm sure Isaac is somewhere in there.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
x11? x2? What is even happening on these screens :psyduck:

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Renaissance Robot posted:

x11? x2? What is even happening on these screens :psyduck:

According to the timer, the second screenshot was taken before the first, so they must have grabbed a Dead Cat in between.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
Probably worth mentioning here that Repentance is apparently actually almost finished, for real this time, and will probably get released at some point before November:
https://twitter.com/edmundmcmillen/status/1285649644115177474?s=19/

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Here's a little tip I just learned the hard way: Mama Mega only blasts open the Boss Rush/Hush door when you first enter the room. If you leave and come back (say, to check out the angel/devil room) you lose your chance.

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao
I'm using the d4 for the first time and this thing is ridiculous! I have the dead cat for 9 lives, but every time I get low health I just re roll and get a fun new build which usually just bumps up a bunch of health. If it ends up being a terrible roll, its only 6 more rooms and I have a bunch of lives anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Y'all've got me finishing up the challenges I never completed. I thought I was done with this game...

Still not finishing my greedier marks though. No way.