Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Tofu Injection posted:

Only non weird rear end achievent thing I have left is Speed!

How the gently caress did I beat this the first time? This challenge is insane.

That's one I just had to do until I got a blessed run, I don't think there's any real strategy to it :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Managed to beat hard boss rush on the lost with a toddler napping on my chest, yesss

I think that's everything for rebirth! Just gotta wait for repentance now and hope my progress carries over :ohdear:

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
grats, you gonna do ab or ab+? heavily recommend the former, definitely be wary of the latter lol

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Thanks! I'm planning on waiting for Repentance, assuming that AB/AB+ stuff will be included in it. If not then yeah I'll probably grab AB.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

it's funny how afterbirth+ added 6 bosses and none of them are fun

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

isn't syncing your save file to your steam trophies supposed to also make the corresponding completion marks for each achievement show up? because mine aren't

EDIT: I tried downloading a cloud save and it kinda helped but the save wasn't totally up-to-date so I'm still missing some completion marks, which is a pain because I haven't unlocked everything and the secrets menu isn't exactly helpful or easy to navigate for figuring out what I'm still missing.

Augus fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Oct 13, 2020

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Anyone else noticing a higher-than-average number of rooms they've never seen before? I've got about 700 hours in and I've seen a handful of new rooms in the past handful of runs.

Just now, I had a Basement Monstro fight with two Blood Donation machines in the boss room

Like, I know there are some rarer rooms that don't show up often, but I've seen a lot of them in the past few days. With so many hours in, I would normally hit a new room only once per dozens of runs, but now it's almost every run. Any possibility some new rooms are being unlocked as the new release gets closer?

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Thanks! I'm planning on waiting for Repentance, assuming that AB/AB+ stuff will be included in it. If not then yeah I'll probably grab AB.

From what I know, it's possible that Repentance will in fact require AB and AB+; it will definitely modify some content added by those.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Eclipse12 posted:

Anyone else noticing a higher-than-average number of rooms they've never seen before? I've got about 700 hours in and I've seen a handful of new rooms in the past handful of runs.

Just now, I had a Basement Monstro fight with two Blood Donation machines in the boss room

Like, I know there are some rarer rooms that don't show up often, but I've seen a lot of them in the past few days. With so many hours in, I would normally hit a new room only once per dozens of runs, but now it's almost every run. Any possibility some new rooms are being unlocked as the new release gets closer?

It's oft-theorized but I suspect it's just down to the quirks of random being random and certain room types naturally being rarer due to some reason or another.

For what it's worth, the blood machine boss room isn't new.

Kifisonfire
Jan 15, 2008

Augus posted:

it's funny how afterbirth+ added 6 bosses and none of them are fun
Big Horn isn't bad, it can just get messy sometimes when like 4 hands pop up at once.

The rest are pure trash though.

Oh god this made me realise there will probably be Delirium versions of the new bosses.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Eclipse12 posted:

I had a fake out boss fight in greed mode a few days ago. I entered the room before Ultra Greed and expected the typical greed fight but.... the room was empty. The doors were open and it didn’t play that clanking chain sound effect to signify the beginning of a boss fight. I stood there for a bit confused and told my friends I was streaming to how sometimes Isaac will do something like this just to throw a curve ball at you. Guess there’s just no fight this time!

I take a few steps forwards and the doors slam shut, the chain sound effect plays, and a monstro falls out of the ceiling on top of me. I melted him immediately but still- it was something completely unexpected.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

It was cool to learn that there's some ultra rare room spawn chances

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

So it's kind of up in the air whether the expansion to pee pee poo poo blood tears game is coming to Switch at this point right? I've been working on that file, so I'd be bummed out if it is only coming to PC.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The devs uploaded the new Downpour theme yesterday. It's pretty cool, though I still prefer the Antibirth version I think.

Meridian posted:

So it's kind of up in the air whether the expansion to pee pee poo poo blood tears game is coming to Switch at this point right? I've been working on that file, so I'd be bummed out if it is only coming to PC.

I think they said not too long ago that it's coming eventually, but it will take some time since there's a ton of new stuff that's gonna need to be optimized

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Starting an Eden run hits the same way as sitting down for a Magic: The Gathering draft and opening the first pack. Saves me a lot of money I'd spend on Arena, also. But I keep getting to 13 or 14 wins and then losing. I don't know how streamers get hundreds of wins in a row, my last run started at 14 tears and 2.52 damage and just never got better. I started with Lil' Monstro and even though I went to every special room on every floor, tried every trick I could, I still never picked up anything that helped me deal damage with the possible exception of Lil' Delirium. Most of the time the game is balanced enough that I can win if I play well enough, but there's still like an 8% chance that no tears or damage ups exist in a seed.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

LifeLynx posted:

. I don't know how streamers get hundreds of wins in a row, my last run started at 14 tears and 2.52 damage and just never got better.

There used to be an exploit with Eden's Blessing and the blue hourglass, where you could keep picking up the Blessing over and over, so every run started with ~100-200 items.

Thankfully they patched that, but they also patched getting infinite Eden tokens with the same method at mom's heart

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Even without ever stacking Eden's Blessings there are some insanely high streaks out there.

Andvil82 (who just hit the big :rip: a few days ago o7) managed to reach 720 in a "hoarder" streak, the key feature being he had to take every item offered in every item room, no re-rolling.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I think this might still be the record Eden streak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9ng20gRzWM

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I got a funny streak once with card mimic + Jira. My wife walked in and was like "What the hell did you do?" and posted it on the internet

https://twitter.com/Shubzilla/status/1254205358626598912

Nothing quite as OP as I've seen with other streaks though. Like I saw someone get some ridiculous poo poo going with the suicide card + dead cat

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Oct 16, 2020

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

PostNouveau posted:

I think this might still be the record Eden streak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9ng20gRzWM

This reminds me, I'm happy that most of my runs haven't ended by starting with one heart container and being too slow to avoid a troll bomb. Pretty lovely when that happens. Or having one heart and finding that room with all the explosive barrels and not knowing how to avoid getting blown up.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I got a funny streak once with card mimic + Jira. My wife walked in and was like "What the hell did you do?" and posted it on the internet

https://twitter.com/Shubzilla/status/1254205358626598912

Nothing quite as OP as I've seen with other streaks though. Like I saw someone get some ridiculous poo poo going with the suicide card + dead cat

yeah Jera+Blank Card is a classic game-breaking combo. If you use it to duplicate a gold chest that has an item inside, things spiral out of control very quickly
Apparently in Repentance blank card won't work on runes anymore and there will instead be a separate item that copies the effect of runes. Probably so they can put it behind a more difficult unlock requirement than the Blank Card or maybe put it into the special items pool or something.

Augus fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Oct 16, 2020

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I made it to ~50 Eden streak before I got bored and started a new file. There were some truly dismal runs in there but even when I had trash tears the whole way through I was always able to find some way to win. If a run was shaping up to be a stinker I would pick up the polaroid and go to Sheol, easiest path for a win imo. The big streamers are all better at the game than I am, so winstreaks in the 100s with no exploits (well, beyond the scope of normal Isaac 'sploits) seems believable to me. I think virtually unwinnable runs are real but they're very uncommon.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

The Moon Monster posted:

I made it to ~50 Eden streak before I got bored and started a new file. There were some truly dismal runs in there but even when I had trash tears the whole way through I was always able to find some way to win. If a run was shaping up to be a stinker I would pick up the polaroid and go to Sheol, easiest path for a win imo. The big streamers are all better at the game than I am, so winstreaks in the 100s with no exploits (well, beyond the scope of normal Isaac 'sploits) seems believable to me. I think virtually unwinnable runs are real but they're very uncommon.

Actually yeah, when I was watching people other than Northernlion I remember them doing the Polaroid/Sheol thing and it "counted". I purposely always go to the Cathedral and Chest, and one of those two will kill me if I'm still struggling by then. I might have been able to win a couple of those "unwinnable" runs, but I'm not getting paid like streamers are, so screw it.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Yeah worth noting there isn't really a concrete set of rules for Eden streaks. Night Affinity's mass Eden's Blessing stacking kinda sets his streak apart from the rest (not that the next highest "legit" streak is far behind, wanna say it was in the 900s), but you also get some amount of disagreement about how the endgame should work. Including splitting hairs about whether or not you should be allowed to skip Blue Baby (and most of the Chest preceding him) by going straight into the Mega Satan fight.

I've always had a nagging feeling that the way every streaker defaults to Polaroid -> Chest is kinda lame, considering how much easier it is compared to Negative -> Dark Room.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Youtube keeps sending me Sinvicta streams and it looks like his Eden run is up to the high 900s and he's been doing it "legit"

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

And as if it could read my mind Youtube just recommended this video which contains the Monstro fakeout I was talking about earlier at 1:04

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bWaKpPG5zw

Whole video is good too so I didn't timestamp it

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!
The Eden's Blessing exploit streaks are worthless if you ask me. Oh, wooow, you managed to win a run where you started out with more items than you usually pick up during an entire normal run? Incredible!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

John Murdoch posted:

Yeah worth noting there isn't really a concrete set of rules for Eden streaks. Night Affinity's mass Eden's Blessing stacking kinda sets his streak apart from the rest (not that the next highest "legit" streak is far behind, wanna say it was in the 900s), but you also get some amount of disagreement about how the endgame should work. Including splitting hairs about whether or not you should be allowed to skip Blue Baby (and most of the Chest preceding him) by going straight into the Mega Satan fight.

I've always had a nagging feeling that the way every streaker defaults to Polaroid -> Chest is kinda lame, considering how much easier it is compared to Negative -> Dark Room.

If it makes your win streak count go up and you're not hacking/modding in a way that affects the difficulty then it counts as far as I'm concerned. 1000+ runs where you start out with dozens of items sure sounds like a ridiculous exercise in tedium though. I generally get bored 1/3 of the way through the first victory lap.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Black August posted:

It was cool to learn that there's some ultra rare room spawn chances

Weirdest one I ever saw was a Devil Room with an Angel statue in it. Didn3t have any bombs so I don't know what would have happened if I bombed it

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Angel statues behave the same way no matter where they are, I think.

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.
Ok going though this again on Switch is kind of a bummer. I did this on PC before so I thought I knew what to expect, but that was before booster packs. I have all challenges and all post it stamps and looked up what items Im missing and some of these are just dumb. Use pandoras box on the dark room? To unlock an item i then have to find? gently caress off. Take 5 gulp pills?

I got one secret by mistake cause I wanted to see how large i could make myself and accidentally unlocked a card. I have never seen that card show up in a run since.

The upside is just playing isaac runs hoping to find stuff is way more fun than the speed challenge so at least there is that.

E: I just looked up the requirements for lacryphagy. loving a.

Tofu Injection fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Oct 19, 2020

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Tofu Injection posted:

Ok going though this again on Switch is kind of a bummer. I did this on PC before so I thought I knew what to expect, but that was before booster packs. I have all challenges and all post it stamps and looked up what items Im missing and some of these are just dumb. Use pandoras box on the dark room? To unlock an item i then have to find? gently caress off. Take 5 gulp pills?

I got one secret by mistake cause I wanted to see how large i could make myself and accidentally unlocked a card. I have never seen that card show up in a run since.

The upside is just playing isaac runs hoping to find stuff is way more fun than the speed challenge so at least there is that.

E: I just looked up the requirements for lacryphagy. loving a.

Yeah there's a fair amount of stuff like lacryphagy where getting a broken greed run is pretty much the only good option, and even that's not guaranteed to work.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

The Moon Monster posted:

Yeah there's a fair amount of stuff like lacryphagy where getting a broken greed run is pretty much the only good option, and even that's not guaranteed to work.

I got a run that gave me a room in I think the flooded caves that spawned seven identical pills. It was the tears up pill.

I didn't know about the lacryphagy unlock and stopped when I got my tears down to 5.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the advice I've seen for doing that is to go to Greed Mode and reset with Lazarus until you start with the kind of pill you want, and then try and get a Placebo

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.
My best advice is complain about it in this thread cause I just got lacrophagy a second ago in a normal run with moms bottle of pills. Tears up and vurp were in the rotation.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/edmundmcmillen/status/1318743302493986816

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Didn't he just say he put most of the ideas he had for Isaac 2 into the DLC? I assumed that meant he wasn't going to do a sequel...

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

TOOT BOOT posted:

Didn't he just say he put most of the ideas he had for Isaac 2 into the DLC? I assumed that meant he wasn't going to do a sequel...

Probably came up with some new ones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
or he's just on twitter saying things