Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
I'm so close to maxxing everything out on PS4. Already have 1001%, the only thing I'm missing are the hard mode completion modes for Boss Rush and Hush for The Keeper (though in a streak of luck, not Delirium). Somehow I was still missing the Mega Stanley blast item, despite having killed him with every character. Then I managed to break a store in Greed mode goofing off, got Chaos, then picked one up, finally giving me the unlock. I need to check my items out to make sure no others are missing, I'm pretty sure I never triggered the Tonsil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Rubber Cement + Soy Milk is a fun combo. I took it just because I thought it would be fun to have a hundred tears ricocheting all over the room, and it is. However, Rubber Cement also makes it so your tears have zero knockback, meaning that it's way easier to keep your tear stream focused on an enemy.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Ariong posted:

Rubber Cement + Soy Milk is a fun combo. I took it just because I thought it would be fun to have a hundred tears ricocheting all over the room, and it is. However, Rubber Cement also makes it so your tears have zero knockback, meaning that it's way easier to keep your tear stream focused on an enemy.

Rubber Cement is good and strong with pretty much anything. Definitely one of my favorite items.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I'm losing my temper over the WakaWaka challenge. I've gotten to the 4th floor give loving times and then died. None of these runs has dropped a single damage up item. I've deemed this run impossible without being able to kill enemies as quickly as possible. Plinking away at four mobs that are each summoning black charging maggots is a suicide mission. gently caress this dumb challenge.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Wildtortilla posted:

four mobs that are each summoning black charging maggots

I hate those loving things. They added them in a DLC or something.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Good news, bitching in the thread still works!

The first room on floor 1 gave me a skeleton key, I unlocked a door to a library, and left there with bookworm and Book of Revelations. The boss dropped me a cube of meat.

Floor 2 gave me a purple syringe and a second cube of meat.

Floor 3 yielded a joker card in the first room that took me to a Devil room containing Mom's Knife. A mini boss then dropped a third cube of meat.

The rest was easy peasy. Suck it, Waka Waka.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

It feeds on hate

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

AKZ posted:

It feeds on hate

:hmmyes:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Wakka Wakka isn't bad, you just have to embrace being a reverse pac man. Maybe they should have named it akkaW akkaW.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
For some reason, out of the challenges I consider the oddballs (requiring you to play a different way) Solar System was the one that gave me the most trouble. Which is weird since the red attack fly absolutely melts most things, I would just get greedy and take too much damage.

Blue Bomber is my jam though, suicide bombing everything is fun as poo poo.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
To transform into something like Guppy, do I need to hold three items at the same time or do I only need to have had three items throughout the run, like with bookworm?

Edit: don't need to have them at once!

Wildtortilla fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Aug 2, 2020

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Just pick them up and put them down, it's fine. If you have Dead Cat, then pick up Guppy's Paw, and put that down, and get another cat item, the transformation still happens.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

IUG posted:

Just pick them up and put them down, it's fine. If you have Dead Cat, then pick up Guppy's Paw, and put that down, and get another cat item, the transformation still happens.

Ya I did head > paw > drop paw > pickup head again > found dead cat the next floor.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I decided to unlock The Forgotten on my second file and settled in for a long series of rerolls until I got a strong enough start, then got host hat 5 seconds in to my first try. That was easy!

The Forgotten is also a million times easier to get completion marks for than the other two secret characters, knocked all of them but greed/ier out in 3 tries.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Edit: ignore. gently caress phone posting.

Wildtortilla fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Aug 2, 2020

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Edit: ignore.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I'm on Necropolis 2 and found this room. Can anyone explain what's going on here? I guess this is an error room, but it's connected to the floor and I didn't arrive at it via teleportation, which is at odds with this description of error rooms.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Wildtortilla posted:

I'm on Necropolis 2 and found this room. Can anyone explain what's going on here? I guess this is an error room, but it's connected to the floor and I didn't arrive at it via teleportation, which is at odds with this description of error rooms.

It's a rare room configuration that can happen in the Depths and Necropolis. If you scroll towards the bottom of that wiki article it's mentioned and there's a picture much like the one you took.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Augus posted:

It's a rare room configuration that can happen in the Depths and Necropolis. If you scroll towards the bottom of that wiki article it's mentioned and there's a picture much like the one you took.

No kidding, that room is pictured. I glossed over it - thanks for pointing that out!

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I'm focusing on clearing marks for all my available characters. I'm consistently clearing up through and including Mega Satan. I'm starting to get confident enough to try Boss Rush and Hush. But both of those involve hustling through the levels and I'm still very much in the habit of thoroughly clearing every floor - I do a quick inspection for X blocks as I clear all the rooms on each floor. I'm assuming I need to ditch this style of play to open the way to Boss Rush and Hush.

Should I be focused on finding the item room on each floor and then hustling to the boss fight? Are there any other strategies I should keep in mind for success Boss Rush and Hush runs?

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

If I'm strong enough, I look for the boss room as quick as I can, mainly so I can see if the Devil / Angel deals are worth it (assuming they appear and I dont get hit obv). If they're good pickups I'll grab the item(s) and forego the item room. If it sucks, I'll either double back to the item room to see what is being offered, or say screw it and just jump down to the next floor if im on a good pace.

One thing that helps too is if you have enough bombs, just bomb doors in lovely rooms and skip them. Of course getting Pyro (bombs x99) makes a lot of exploration easier.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Wildtortilla posted:

I'm focusing on clearing marks for all my available characters. I'm consistently clearing up through and including Mega Satan. I'm starting to get confident enough to try Boss Rush and Hush. But both of those involve hustling through the levels and I'm still very much in the habit of thoroughly clearing every floor - I do a quick inspection for X blocks as I clear all the rooms on each floor. I'm assuming I need to ditch this style of play to open the way to Boss Rush and Hush.

Should I be focused on finding the item room on each floor and then hustling to the boss fight? Are there any other strategies I should keep in mind for success Boss Rush and Hush runs?

Be thorough and risky early in the game. If you get something OP, you can fly through the later levels to get to boss rush no problem. If you never pick up anything OP, you don't want to do Hush anyway. Hush especially is a real pain-in-the-rear end slog if you don't have a good build. Underpowered boss rush can be a lot of fun though; it's very long but the variability makes it more fun.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Boss rush takes some hustle, you can hit Hush playing reasonably thoroughly but it can be close if your damage isn't there.

Hush itself doesn't need the best setup to beat, it's mostly about learning the patterns.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Some Goon posted:

Hush itself doesn't need the best setup to beat, it's mostly about learning the patterns.

It's not too tough to beat. You may want to do it underpowered a few times just to learn the patterns. I mean it's a slog more in that an OP build will take like 90 seconds and it could be like 10 goddamn minutes with a regular build.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

PostNouveau posted:

It's not too tough to beat. You may want to do it underpowered a few times just to learn the patterns. I mean it's a slog more in that an OP build will take like 90 seconds and it could be like 10 goddamn minutes with a regular build.

This, is a perfectly fair point.

Though I think I've only had one or two runs broken enough to completely overwhelm Hush's damage reduction.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Some Goon posted:

This, is a perfectly fair point.

Though I think I've only had one or two runs broken enough to completely overwhelm Hush's damage reduction.

Yeah the damage cap on Hush sucks poo poo and is unlike anything else in the game. You should be able to melt anything if you get powerful enough.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The damage scaling means you don't get to beat Hush for free if you have a busted build - it doesn't really matter most of the time. The only things I think it's important to bring to the fight are 1) enough damage/aoe to clear out the flies/wave of enemies and 2) enough speed to avoid getting hit repeatedly by the beam attack. Otherwise it's just a matter of learning the patterns.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

When I’m going for a boss rush/hush, I’ll generally try to hit the item room and the boss room while checking out the smallest possible number of other rooms. If I have 15 coins I’ll check out a shop if I pass it, but I won’t do any exploring to seek it out.

One good skill to learn is map navigation. All three of the basic map items (Map, Compass, Blue Map) can help you clear floors quickly, but it is important to be able to figure out exactly what they are telling you. Obviously having both the Map and the Compass is ideal; but even just one will save you a lot of time if you know what to look for.

Map: Boss Rooms and Item Rooms are always dead ends, so right off the bat the Map will narrow those locations down to just a few rooms. The Boss room tends to be far from the starting room, so make your way toward whichever dead end is furthest from the start. This is especially important in the Womb where there are no shops or item rooms, so the most important thing is hitting the boss as quickly as possible. While you’re on your way to the boss you can head down branching paths toward other dead ends in search of the item room. Since the relevant doors are unique you can tell as soon as you see the door whether a particular dead end is what you’re looking for, so you don’t have to waste time checking. Overall I would say the map is the most useful of the three.

Compass: If you know the boss room is to the upper right and the treasure room is to the upper left, you know your best bet is to go up from the starting room. Get an idea of how floors tend to be laid out so you can make an educated guess as to how the path from one room to another might look without having yet explored it. It is also important to be able to realize that a path you thought would take you toward a goal is actually taking you further away, and go for the next most likely option.

Blue Map: in my experience, the Super Secret Room more often than not spawns near the boss room; so make your way in that direction. Neither secret room will ever connect directly to a boss room, so if you have Map+Blue Map you can narrow down possible boss room locations even further.

Lastly: if a room seems like it will take a while to clear out, don’t be afraid to blast open a door with a bomb and skip it. Especially in the Womb where you really don’t need the room drops anymore.

EDIT: You can be especially negligent about finding shops on a Hush run since you’re guaranteed to get one on the Hush floor.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Ariong posted:

Lastly: if a room seems like it will take a while to clear out, don’t be afraid to blast open a door with a bomb and skip it. Especially in the Womb where you really don’t need the room drops anymore.

All good tips, thanks. I'm curious why I'd need to hustle through the Womb though? Are there tint sensitive goals after the Womb?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Wildtortilla posted:

All good tips, thanks. I'm curious why I'd need to hustle through the Womb though? Are there tint sensitive goals after the Womb?

Beat it Lives in 30 minutes or less to find out!

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
There's ???, but also there's not much to be gained by clearing rooms in the Womb and beyond if you don't need to. You're not likely to find anything that can help you, and a whole lot of things that can hurt you. Bomb the doors and just leave if it's quicker than clearing the room safely.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I don't know if there's numbers to back this up, but I feel like the Womb has a higher chance for arcades, vaults, dice rooms and sacrifice rooms. Probably it's just that I notice them more because they're the only things left.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

Beat it Lives in 30 minutes or less to find out!

Oh duh, I'm dense. I still don't have the order of these chapters in my mind right. I don't know why not, I should, but I don't.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

As above, Hush requires you to clear the womb in 30 minutes or less. If you stumble into a bigass room with multiple high-HP bosses that might take you 30-60 seconds to clear, bombing your way out of it could mean the difference. Of course, the same applied to the Depths if you're going for a Boss Rush.

Oh, and I've mentioned this before but to reiterate: the Mama Mega item, available in shops, will cause the Boss Rush/Hush door to open up the first time you go into the boss room if you use it on the approrpiate floor regardless of the time. If you buy it on an early floor, you can instead spend the run meticulously exploring floors and maximizing your resources to give yourself the best possible chance of beating the (r/h)ush.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
played a daily after months not touching this game and got hit with constant stupid damage and got so mad i beat mom at 20:05 that i ragequit

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
gently caress Curse of the Lost.

I just killed mom with 20:04 on the clock.

edit: so I opened the door to Hush. A Devil room opened too. Will the door to Hush be open if I go into the Devil room?

edit2: Seems like the timer determines if the door stays open or not. I beat Hush! What a slog of a fight, holy moly! Is there anything that can be done to pop Hush out of the floor? It spends so much time in a state that cannot be damaged!

Wildtortilla fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Aug 4, 2020

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Wildtortilla posted:

gently caress Curse of the Lost.

I just killed mom with 20:04 on the clock.

edit: so I opened the door to Hush. A Devil room opened too. Will the door to Hush be open if I go into the Devil room?

edit2: Seems like the timer determines if the door stays open or not. I beat Hush! What a slog of a fight, holy moly! Is there anything that can be done to pop Hush out of the floor? It spends so much time in a state that cannot be damaged!

Nope. If he's under you just have to wait it out. Use that time to kill the ADS or just chill out. Not sure if the sharp straw is subject to Hush's damage cap but that's something you could use while he's underground

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
TIL, the Strength card can be proc'd multiple times in a room up to the point that it can't give you any more red hearts. If it can add a red heart, it will boost your damage and make you grow.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
it always gives you dmg up. hope you didnt push soul hearts off your health bar cause when you leave the room the extra strength hearts are taken away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

ArfJason posted:

it always gives you dmg up. hope you didnt push soul hearts off your health bar cause when you leave the room the extra strength hearts are taken away

Only popped it as I lost soul hearts. Dropped blank card for Satanic Bible and then cleared the Dark Room, Mega Satan, and Delirium.