Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Blood Oath + max Red Hearts = :getin:
I ended up with max fire rate and like, 30+ damage tears on top of all the status effects and whatnot I had going, Mother didn't stand a chance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Araxxor posted:

If anything the really terrible payout is beating Mega Satan with Tainted Lost. I have no idea what the hell the benefits from that one could possibly be. Save that one for last if you can. Last thing you need is a detriment ruining a potential Tainted Lost or other challenge character run.

Psychedelicatessen posted:

You can get grey chests behind rocks/spikes/pits without touching them. The little ghost will also continue acting as normal, so if you have no bombs in a room of pots, buckets or mushrooms, you can break them that way.

They're not too bad, once you figure out the difference between them and a normal grey chest.

Turns out there is one more benefit to the Haunted Chest unlock. (Depending on how you look at it, it could be a downgrade though.)

Haunted Chests have a 75% chance to replace Spiked Chests (Sadly not Mimic Chests), so you don't have to pay HP to open those. Granted they're a lot less obvious than spiked chests, but it is a benefit in the other ways.

Incidentally Spiked Chests have a 2% chance to replace normal chests and Mimics have a 2.5% chance to replace them. After the Haunted Chest unlocks, Spiked Chests have a 0.5% chance to spawn instead while Haunted Chests have a 1.5% chance to replace them.

Rothon
Jan 4, 2012
Welp, got to Home for the first time and discovered that the Disable Giantbook Animations mod breaks the trigger on Mom's Bed... At least I got the character unlock out of it.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Mudeth actually made me look forward to the Afterbirth alt-floors, the madman. He really has outdone himself with this soundtrack update. Can't wait to see what he does for Dogma, because Living in the Light is going to be hard to top.

e: lol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXdDM_Wm4Qs

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Jun 10, 2021

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

the dogma music, especially during phase 2 is probably the best in the game and how insanely well done the aesthetics of that fight are and how it fits thematically makes the beast fight a bit underwhelming imo

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Oh thank gently caress, the 'official' Antibirth soundtrack mod edits out the godawful beeping noise from the Mines track. Probably the only low point of the OST for me, it's so jarring in an otherwise great track.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Bloody Pom posted:

Oh thank gently caress, the 'official' Antibirth soundtrack mod edits out the godawful beeping noise from the Mines track. Probably the only low point of the OST for me, it's so jarring in an otherwise great track.

I think Mudeth did that edit himself, I’m not sure why it’s still in the bandcamp album.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

watho posted:

the dogma music, especially during phase 2 is probably the best in the game and how insanely well done the aesthetics of that fight are and how it fits thematically makes the beast fight a bit underwhelming imo

The build up to the finale of Repentance and the endgame in general was just so good. Dogma especially is a fantastic climax and capstone to the various themes in Isaac over a 10 year saga. Nthing that Living in the Light is Ridiculon's best work in the game.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I am very much looking forward to Mudeth's version of Gehenna in hopefully less than 3 years

yorkinshire
Apr 28, 2009

In space no one can hear your dope beats.
Something I figured out last night playing as lost, in dark room if you open the chests one at a time and take the item before opening the next it won't disappear the other three like a devil room.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Update on card game

Edmun newest warpzone is not videogames. It is a movie and a comic

https://twitter.com/edmundmcmillen/status/1403058576088653824?s=20
https://twitter.com/edmundmcmillen/status/1403059720571609096?s=20

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Wow, Johnny. That's a surprise but not. Of course Vasquez would be an Isaac fan.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

The more I find it, the more I'm convinced the Urn of Souls is really loving good, especially if you're doing a Beast run. Practically the only fight it struggles is vs the Beast itself since you don't have any adds to kill.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I unlocked Backasswards again and bucled in for a tough time. Then on my fourth or fifth run, I started with Epic Fetus, Monstro's lung, and something that spawned a card to teleport me out of the Mega Satan fight. That's one way to do it.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I've literally never seen The Beast's phase 2 attacks, I always either plow right through it to phase 3 or die to phase 1 or the horsemen, but I had a rude awakening when apparently Forgotten + Ipecac + Polyphemus was somehow not enough to say "gently caress you" to boss armor

Also Dogma apparently only refills bone hearts for the Forgotten and gives soul hearts to the Soul and as someone who already had 6 soul hearts and only had 3 full bone hearts I'm not exactly happy, especially considering using the Soul to fire Ipecac tears during that fight sucks rear end (though it's really easy to hit Pestilence with them lmao)

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
I screwed up a Tainted Bethany + Soul Converter run by forgetting to take the alternate exit from Mines 2.

T. Beth + Soul Converter + Backpack + Red Key = let's go on an adventure! into RED SPACE

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I've thrown two runs down the tubes by picking up varicose veins when I had dr fetus. Pro-tip: don't do that unless you have bomb immunity, because once you get hit you'll just fill the room around you with bombs, likely hitting you again and triggering it again.

Also, ipecac + tech X + continuum makes rings that explode constantly as they pass through things, including walls. That was good fun, except for the part where I was The Lost on Greedier and couldn't pull off the boss clear before I blew myself up.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
there's an old mod that added in a bunch of transformations including bomb immunity after a certain number of bomb related items - - does anyone remember the name of it and whether it was updated yet or not?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I really wish Pyromanic didn't have its rarity skyrocketed. Like I think the item weight system is ultimately better than the special item system, as a rare item in one pool is far more common in another pool, which incentivizes you to hunt down several different item pools, which is cool and good. (Or the rare item in question is a central mechanic for another character, so you can still use it there.) But there's just some rare cases where you're basically almost never going to stumble upon certain items because the item weight is so low and there's no common equivalent in any other pool. (Magic Mushroom is another example. Haven't seen that thing in ages!)

And bomb immunity is really hard to come by, and with changing certain attack types to not be explosive anymore, that seems like an overkill nerf.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Pyromaniac is how I beat ultra hard, so I can confirm that it is still that that good despite any changes.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

fyi: dr. fetus is not good for the beast fight, unless maybe you have homing bombs or rocket in a jar, I guess

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I never take Dr. Fetus, unless I already have a strong arsenal of bomb mods and weak tears. It should come with default bomb immunity.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
e: maybe not

Greed mode suuuucks gonna take forever unlocking the keeper

Hot Diggity! fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jun 11, 2021

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Here's a Devil Deal buff mod that doesn't tweak the item pools, but instead actually changes a bunch of room layouts to actually have at least 2 items for sale, so no more worthless rooms where you get jack poo poo. Also changes that one devil deal room where you're forced to take one item if you actually wanted the other one into something more friendly. I don't think Devil Deals are that bad, but they definitely felt overnerfed and the rooms where you got nothing (compared to that being a rarity in Angel Rooms) really rubbed salt in the wound, so this mod seems like a nice way to buff them without going overboard.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Hot Diggity! posted:

e: maybe not

Greed mode suuuucks gonna take forever unlocking the keeper

My usual advice:

This is not as bad as it first looks. You need experience under your belt doing greed mode first. After 5 or so wins, you should get a feel for how powerful you need to be to get through Sheol/The Shop and beat Greed. Once you know that level, and you've learned Greed's patterns, you can get to a point where you can stop buying items at about The Womb and start banking money to donate. Once you start going into the Greed fight with 60-99 coins, unlocking the Keeper becomes pretty simple.

Always do the Devil Deal/Angel Room fight.

Try to step up to Greedier too. The second phase leaves coins all over the floor, you can donate more than 99 in a run that way.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

PostNouveau posted:

My usual advice:

This is not as bad as it first looks. You need experience under your belt doing greed mode first. After 5 or so wins, you should get a feel for how powerful you need to be to get through Sheol/The Shop and beat Greed. Once you know that level, and you've learned Greed's patterns, you can get to a point where you can stop buying items at about The Womb and start banking money to donate. Once you start going into the Greed fight with 60-99 coins, unlocking the Keeper becomes pretty simple.

Always do the Devil Deal/Angel Room fight.

Try to step up to Greedier too. The second phase leaves coins all over the floor, you can donate more than 99 in a run that way.

Oh yeah I've been playing this on and off since the flash version so I've got a good grasp on the game. Have nearly 200 hours in it. Mostly it's because the donation machine always seems to jam whenever I actually have a good run where I can amass coins, such a stupid mechanic. I get trying to have people play different characters but man my luck is garbage and I just want to get this over with.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Having now lost several Lost runs due to brim double-taps, is there a fix for that yet?

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
There's a mod that reverts the holy mantle nerf, I got it before I even unlocked lost. Also suggest getting the mod that makes machines unjammable, it's such a dumb mechanic. If you just want to grind out getting the Keeper I suggest using Bethany, she's really strong in greed mode.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

loving lmao at having a gold bomb spawn on the Home floor (yes, it carries into all the boss fights)

Especially after I got the 99 bomb item on the first floor and still had like 80 bombs when I got there so what does it even matter!!!!

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Color Printer posted:

fyi: dr. fetus is not good for the beast fight, unless maybe you have homing bombs or rocket in a jar, I guess

I found it to be pretty good w/out those but I had enough range that the bombs went a decent distance.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Hot Diggity! posted:

Oh yeah I've been playing this on and off since the flash version so I've got a good grasp on the game. Have nearly 200 hours in it. Mostly it's because the donation machine always seems to jam whenever I actually have a good run where I can amass coins, such a stupid mechanic. I get trying to have people play different characters but man my luck is garbage and I just want to get this over with.

Greedier mode has a fixed 1% jam chance only, so you can just play your preferred characters and grind out wins that way.

e: on the topic of Dr. Fetus: Tractor Beam does NOT synergize well with it, changing directions makes the bombs try to arc back around you

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jun 12, 2021

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
I lost a run at the Beast's inhale attack because the slowing aura of the Censer caused the incoming fireballs to jam together into a solid mess.

Still T. Beth is a lot of fun and she might be my favorite of the tainted characters.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Dirty Mind and Tainted Blue Baby is an utterly insane run. I strongly recommend it if you all ever get the opportunity to do so. Each poop you throw explodes into four smaller poops that have the same properties as the original one. Including holy poops. Furthermore, each time one of your horde dies, they drop a new poop pickup.

You can see how this snowballs out of control pretty quickly. By the end of that run, I was basically just blind firing into enemies and my army of poops mulched everything in my path. It was like playing a Binding of Isaac-themed RTS.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Yeah Censor is a run-ruining item if you are trying to beat Mother, Mega Satan, Hush, or The Beast. It's good against Ultra Greedier though!

I have most of my unlocks done, except for Tainted Lazarus and Jacob. I'm hoping for some kind of patch that makes them less miserable first. However: how the gently caress do you beat the Lamb in under 20 minutes?

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

Lets Pickle posted:

Yeah Censor is a run-ruining item if you are trying to beat Mother, Mega Satan, Hush, or The Beast. It's good against Ultra Greedier though!

I have most of my unlocks done, except for Tainted Lazarus and Jacob. I'm hoping for some kind of patch that makes them less miserable first. However: how the gently caress do you beat the Lamb in under 20 minutes?

sacrifice room is your friend. Otherwise grab a shovel and go!

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Tainted Jacob is miserable. There are so many ways they could tweak it to make it less awful.

Like not letting him kill himself on spiked rocks. Or making him go away when he turns you into the lost. Or letting you keep the health upgrades you pick up as the lost. Or not having him decide to dash you from offscreen.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Lets Pickle posted:

I just unlocked the speedy Lamb clear achievement yesterday! I managed to do it warpless but then again I had a miraculously good run. Started with Tainted Lilith, first floor gave me Book of Belial and Car Battery, then a heaven room gave me Trinity Shield. When I got to the Depths a Planetarium gave me Sol, so I was able to make a beeline to the boss, activate Belial and just stand still while furiously tapping the babby button.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I just melted a Boss Rush room with the Soul of Eve. It was like every boss was covered in birdseed

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Didn't see this documented on the wiki so heads up, Tiny Planet (or perhaps a combination including it) seems to break Tainted Samson's bone toss attack. It just glitches out dealing no damage in an ever expanding spiral, leaving you without a weapon until the berserk effect ends. Wasn't particularly a problem though- 20/20, cricket's body and angelic prism turned my tears into a clown weapon, a very easy Delirium win.

Edit- figured it out, Angelic Prism was the culprit here. Tiny Planet just made it extra weird.

Amorphous Abode fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jun 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

GrandmaParty posted:

Tainted Jacob is miserable. There are so many ways they could tweak it to make it less awful.

Like not letting him kill himself on spiked rocks. Or making him go away when he turns you into the lost. Or letting you keep the health upgrades you pick up as the lost. Or not having him decide to dash you from offscreen.

Wait Esau doesn’t go away even when you turn into the Lost? That’s nuts. I was thinking you could just turn into the Lost at the start of a floor and play Tainted Jacob like Tainted Lost.

I guess that’s why Tainted Jacob is a challenge character. Still not as annoying as Tainted Lazarus.