Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Azazel + Tammy's Head + Guppy + Money=Power + Dollar is certainly a thing :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

The thing is that Isaac is designed in such a way that having a high damage output is much better for your survival than having an extra heart. If you're a bad at dodging being able to kill an enemy faster is more likely to make you survive than having that one heart, especially once you hit the Womb. 3 Soul Hearts is a bit more arguable but still runs into the same category. Are you going to, overall, take three soul hearts of damage from enemies who you wouldn't have if you had whatever you were buying?

Dead Cat hits the same category. Yes, you lose excess Red Hearts if you buy it but unless you had a huge overabundance of Red Hearts that is a fairly minimal loss compared to 9 extra lives and 1/3rd of a Guppy run. Guppy is so central to easy wins that it's hard to imagine any number of red hearts being worth it.

Yeah, once I stopped being afraid of using the devil/curse rooms, my completion rate shot up considerably. I went from barely getting through depths to pretty much always being able to at least kill Mom.

I'm not amazing at the game, but I'm at the point where unless I get royally lovely luck on drops I'm pretty much always going to at least get to Mom's Heart/It Lives! A Devil room item can make the difference between a bad run and an easy one (especially if you get Brimstone or Dark Bum. Holy poo poo is Dark Bum broken).

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Echoing the sentiment of 'when the game wants you to win, it -really- wants you to win.'

I just had a Cain run where I got triple shot, Polyphemus, rubber cement, and enough damage and tears bonuses that I was just a machine gun of rubber death bullets killing almost all bosses in less than a second or two.

Then boss rush gives me infestation shot 2, and to top it off I got guppy on the first womb floor.

Coincidentally, this was also the first run I managed to kill Mega Satan :v:

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I hit a nasty bug. Started up Afterbirth for the first time, say yes when it prompts me to import my data, game crashes.
Start it back up again, try to open file 1 (the only file that actually had a save) and the game crashes.
Disable Afterbirth, start the game, try to open file 1, game crashes.

I think Afterbirth corrupted my save :smith:

It's no huge loss, I guess. I only had like half the challenges finished and maybe 75% of the pickups, and I haven't played in awhile so it's probably better going in fresh.

That being said, Greed mode is fun as hell.

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
:stare: :stare: :stare: Holy gently caress that Ultra Greed fight

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Renaissance Robot posted:

Multiple good shops on early floors when you can't afford anything, then garbage shops after you get rich and also the final shop in depths ii is greed.

Everytime this happens I just think to myself 'well maybe I'll find Money=Power and it'll be worth it.'

I never find Money=Power.

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Delirium is the fuckin worst poo poo, especially on The Lost.

Even with a super busted build (Haemolacria, Trisagion, Sacred Heart, and Lead Pencil, along with a handful of tear up and damage items) Delirium took too goddamn long to die. Thank gently caress I had a dead cat, but even then I died 6 times to the boss transforming and suddenly appearing on top of me.

On the plus side, this was all one run :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Kchama posted:

Turns out Scatman is pretty easy if you get a Lil Brimstone in your first Devil Deal.

How do people have trouble with this challenge? If you run into a monster and turn it to poop, you can use your iframes from getting damaged to turn everything else into poop without losing more health and then heal up whatever life you lost. Let your poop minions blow the bosses up.