Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

I beat the boss Rush once, but it was on the Tech Savvy Challenge after getting the Broken Watch, which happened to slow down all the bosses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

The Bee posted:

Imagine a combo of Maze and the old Curse of Darkness. Wouldn't that be wonderful?

I don't remember what it's called but I'm pretty sure I have gotten the curse that turns your map into a question mark.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

I managed to beat the tank challenge by having Headless Horseman as my first boss, so I had a flying speedy pony. I also got Speed up pills. By the end of the run I was pretty drat fast.

I don't see how I'm going to beat Mom's heart with Solar System. I brought the Bible along to cheese it but before I got there the game bugged out and I died.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

I just got my first Sacred heart, from an Angel room!

....during the Cat Got your Tongue challenge.

At least it powered up my attack flies.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

I finally managed to beat The Family Man, mostly because I got really lucky and on the second floor I made a deal with the devil for The Nail, and while running around a room breaking rocks I came opened one of those ladders that leads to a Zelda 1-style item room containing Daddy Longlegs. The only challenges left are The Purist and Suicide King. I have no idea how you're supposed to beat Suicide King.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Waffleopolis posted:

What's the best way to complete the Family Man challenge? I feel soooooooooo crippled. :(

For me, it was get lucky and find Daddy's Love in a Zelda 1 treasure room in Basement 2. Otherwise I don't see how it can be done, you get totally overwhelmed by the Womb levels.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

My USB port for my keyboard is in lovely shape so sometimes while I am playing Isaac will just not respond or get stuck with one button pressed down, and I have to hope that I am in a safe spot until I can get it reconnected and working properly. I have died like this in pretty obnoxious ways, like getting stuck in a corner against a blue fire during an otherwise amazing run.

I made it to the boss rush with Cain with Ludovico Technique, Lump of Coal, and a couple of damage-ups. I made it through the bosses fairly easily. At the very very end, when the head part of the Headless Horseman is the last enemy and has just a sliver of HP left, the keyboard stops working. The Head dashes across the room and stops right in front of me, and shoots me until I am at a half heart. I am just stuck there and can't even pause the game. My fire button is still stuck down, so my robobaby kills him, and I get the achievement.

Then when I get my keyboard working again I walk onto spikes and die.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

SuicideSnowman posted:

Gonna have to disagree. Money gets you a lot in this game. Arcades and beggars = more health = more chance to safely take devil deals. Not to mention, shop items which can often times be quite good.

The slot machines also get you a chance for a Pretty Fly if you can't get orbitals any other way. Those are pretty important for every boss from It Lives onward.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

I finally beat Suicide King. The deciding factor was Ringworm (and Ouija Board), of all things. It makes the trajectory of your Ipecac shots such that they pretty much always hit an enemy if you are aiming somewhat towards it.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Don't forget that if you manage to get 2 Steam Sales all shop items are free for the rest of the run.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Mars is super awkward, but it was good the one time I got it with Serpent's Kiss since it let me create black hearts every time I dashed into an enemy. I think it's good if you can get flying but I would never pick it with like the Lost because it will absolutely get you killed.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Sharkitten posted:

What character would I have the easiest time beating Mega Satan with for the first time? he's the only final boss I haven't killed in the pre repentance stuff and he intimidates me

It's honestly much more important what items you have while fighting Mega Satan than which character you are. If you can find a Psy Fly or a Lost Contact the bullet hell parts of the fight are pretty trivial. If you've beaten Hush and Delirium Mega Satan shouldn't intimidate you at all. He is much easier than either of them. If you've never fought him before bring some healing item like the Sun card or a full health pill, it's easy to take a lot of damage when you're not used to his patterns.

I spent all drat day today beating Mother with Tainted Lost and finally, finally got the kill. It only took two attempts that actually made it to the Corpse. Most of my runs that looked very promising ended early to some stupid bullshit, including:

-Spiked chest spawned on top of me after clearing a Boss challenge room
-Spikes came out of a chest that then hit me even though I swear I stopped far enough away
-Red poop created and destroyed by champion Mega Fatty (so I didn't even know it was there) regrew on top of me when I went to pick up the boss item
-Toxic Shock killed an entire 2x2 room, including some offscreen flies that shoot blood lasers when they die
-Walked into a room in the Ashpit from the right and a floating skeleton ghost also spawned in from the right
-A spider loving clipped through two diagonal rocks to come get me
-I killed one of those ghosts that throws buckets at you, causing him to drop his bucket, which had some enemy tears that killed me

I really enjoy playing as the Tainted Lost but gently caress it can be frustrating when you're actually trying to unlock something.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

bartolimu posted:

I think I'm done with Greedier Mode. Every time I try to start a run with Bethany or any other character with orbitals, without loving fail, enemies spawn inside me and I lose 30 waves' worth of wisp creation to a stupid mechanic they could have coded out in five minutes if they wanted. It's unavoidable because enemies can spawn nearly anywhere, and it makes me rage quit every time. So gently caress it. Whenever I get around to finding a save editor I'll unlock all of the Greedier items plus Keeper and go on with my life.

The first floor of Greedier Mode is really brutal, I usually just restart until I get a damage up in the first item room and even then it's still hard.

I've been thinking about using mods, mostly because I'd like lucky pennies and mimic chests to be a little bit easier to spot. It's super annoying playing a Tainted Cain and having to stop and really look at every penny, or playing as Tainted Lost and looking real hard at each gray chest.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Yeah Censor is a run-ruining item if you are trying to beat Mother, Mega Satan, Hush, or The Beast. It's good against Ultra Greedier though!

I have most of my unlocks done, except for Tainted Lazarus and Jacob. I'm hoping for some kind of patch that makes them less miserable first. However: how the gently caress do you beat the Lamb in under 20 minutes?

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Mr. Maggy posted:

i extremely do not like tainted cain

The easiest way I've found to win as Tainted Cain is to reset until you are able to get a secret room pedestal. This will give you a bone heart you can use to craft Rock Bottom. Then craft kidney stone, which uses pretty common ingredients. The game is now broken and You Win. Anything you craft after that is a matter of personal preference, but make sure you understand how Rock Bottom works. Don't craft Soy Milk/Red Stew, if you want to craft it, until you're done increasing your damage. Don't craft Polyphemus, if you want to craft it, until you're done increasing your tear rate. There is definitely some tension between maximizing damage/tears but you can still easily get both of those stats far, far beyond what any other character would reasonably have. If you plan out what you have on you a little you can fill out the entire post-it (except Greedier) in one run by using R Keys.

I also hated Tainted Cain because I was trying to play fair as him, making like Icicle Babies with BFF or some other silly poo poo. Don't, he is inherently broken as gently caress and doesn't play the same game as the other characters.

I also finally beat Greedier Mode with Tainted Lost, and I had to resort to breaking the game really hard. If you want to skip much of the challenge of Greedier Mode this works with any character. I mostly just found it necessary with T Lost because Ultra Greedier is so loving hard to beat without taking a few hits.

-Reset until the first shop has D-Infinity.
-Wait until a floor has a battery for sale. Hopefully the items you acquire will get you this far, but this is definitely the hardest part of the break. DO NOT pick up the golden treasure room item on this floor.
-Beat the floor and the bosses without picking up the coins that drop. If you accidentally pickup a few its fine but you need some critical mass of coins to get started.
-Use the d20 to reroll the coins. Open any chests you see. Check cards and use any that drop pickups. Pick up any nickels or dimes. If you see a golden key take it. Try to watch out for mimic chests and troll bombs. If you're unlucky enough to get a golden troll bomb sucks for you.
-Go to the shop and buy a battery (unless you rolled into one) and recharge your d20. Repeat the above step until you get a 2 of diamonds.
-Take the 2 of diamonds into an item room, where it is the only pickup, and use the D1 to copy it. Recharge your battery at the shop until you have a lot of 2 of Diamonds. You now have infinite money as you can repeat this process whenever you want.
-Start buying stuff in this shop. DO NOT buy the car battery but most other items are fine. Active items are great to buy because you want to get a bunch of pedestals you can reroll. You're really looking for the Spindown Die. Also Deep Pockets, because it makes things go faster.
-Use the D6 to reroll the treasure room item until it is an active item. This lets you leave a D-Infinity or Spindown in there while you take the other to the shop. Now you have infinite money, rerolls and spindowns and you can get any and all items in the game. This includes items that are not normally obtainable such as C-Section and Redemption, or just rare secret room items like Greed's Gullet or Eye of Greed.
If you're doing this as TLost I would recommend acquiring several copies of Birthright/Inner Child to act as makeshift hitpoints, as well as Pyromaniac so you don't randomly run into a fire or blow yourself up when your tears are so big you can't see what's going on.

Lets Pickle fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jun 17, 2021

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

God Tainted Lazarus is such garbage. I beat Mega Satan with him a while ago and finally did everything else so now its just him and T Jacob that are left to fill out. I brought a run to Delirium that had infinite tries, since one Laz had Habit + Glowing Hourglass. But I got frustrated because a) my damage was too low on either Laz to actually go the distance and b) one of the Lazs had Purgatory, which is bugged with Tainted Lazarus, so I had to redo the whole loving Void floor like 3+ times. Eventually I just recklessly ran one Laz that had an orbital into Delirium until I forgot to look at my health and died.
(For anyone curious, the bug is that if you flip between the time the ghost spawns and the time it explodes, the game crashes. You can minimize the damage by exiting the game and continuing manually, so the next time the game crashes it will restart from the last time you continued instead of the start of the floor.)

Luckily the next attempt gave one Laz Brimstone and the other one got a Spindown Die that gave me Sacred Heart and R Key, so I was able to beat Delirium and Mother on one run!

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Having just played with Maw of the Void, as someone who never played AB+ or Afterbirth, I thought it was really strong. You have to charge for a while but it also lasts for a while and deals completely insane damage.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Color Printer posted:

Word of advice: don't take Card Reading and Stairway unless you are prepared to be sad and also have to make the occasional tough choice

While typing this I also realized I forgot to enter the alt path on what was supposed to be a Corpse run oops

If you have 15 or more coins that doesn't sound like a tough choice at all.

For the person who was having trouble with Tainted Jacob in Greedier mode, this is the method I used. It's still not easy, but it's not "die in one hit" bullshit:

- Restart until you get an eraser in the shop
- ​Beat the first floor as normal. Tainted Esau is actually really useful for early floors so use him. Try to keep a rough estimate of how many times you hit him during this first floor.
- Buy the eraser. If you land the finishing blow on Tainted Esau with the eraser, he is gone for good, and you don't become the Lost. The eraser deals 15 damage and he has 270 health on the first floor. So, it's time to do some math and figure out how many times you have to hit him to get him in range to be erased.
- Now, the hard part. You actually have to beat Greedier mode after having spent 15 cents on the first floor on an eraser. I would recommend getting really lucky and finding a Sacred Heart ASAP.

The nice thing is that the reward, The Moon?, is actually really cool and good.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

If Sacred Heart wasn't the most Catholic thing ever I would get a tattoo of it, I think it looks cool.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Tainted Jacob took a bunch of runs to get used to but now that I'm used to him he's super fun. Sometimes you have to take normal damage to avoid Dark Esau but them's the breaks. Esau just rips through early game enemies and bosses. Definitely a step up from the unfun garbage-tier character he was before.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Acerbatus posted:

I do kinda wish there was an easier way to unlock tainted characters because god playing maggie is so miserable. I've got more J&E completion marks than maggie ones.

Play enough runs with Eden that starting with 2.73 tears and 3.50 damage feels OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Edmund Sparkler posted:

I'm kind of surprised that R Key still works with ? Card. It totally breaks the game. I'm on my 3rd reset and still have the R Key and a ? Card. I have Restock and Keeper's Head so it seems like with decent luck I could keep farming ? Cards from shops for quite awhile before breaking the streak.

Just wait until you get Wild Card with Diplopia!