Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
No word on what the Steam achievements/PS trophies will be yet, right? Saw something that seemed to indicate there'd be like 166 achievements for Steam, which seems like a lot until you remember most of the original's were item unlocks. I wanna know what kind of pain Ed and the Nicalis team have in store for us this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
PS4 Trophy List - 59 in total. 2 silvers, 2 golds.

All the no-damage achievements are back... and now there's one for The Chest/Dark Room. So that'll be fun. :cry:

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ShadeofDante posted:

Just as a heads up the Steam version will apparently have a whopping 178 achievements! :stare:

After Tales of Maj'Eyal and it's 1,330+ achievements, those numbers do not scare me.

...Plus, you know most of 'em are just gonna be items unlocking an' stuff, like it was in the original.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Sir Tonk posted:

PSN please :negative:

Right? My PC's having issues right now, so I don't want to/can't fire up Rebirth on Steam. Hopefully it won't take Sony until midnight to put it up. :negative:

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Either I've gotten lucky runs or the game is easier. I've got Basement Boy and Spelunker Boy already.

It's so god drat bizarre playing BoI and having it run smooth as silk, even with over a dozen enemies on screen. It's the best, and I look forward to sinking another 200+ hours into this.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

IronicDongz posted:

I just got Mama's boy legit. Sure wish I was this capable back in the original so that hadn't taken me like 2 years

High five, Mama's Boy buddy. Just got it on the PS4 version during a surprisingly solid Maggy run. Had the Bible with poison + concussive + tooth shots.

Monstro's Lung might be my favorite new item. Had that + toxic splash damage on a previous run. Couldn't beat Satan with it since my health was too low, but it was incredibly fun.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Holy poo poo, the boss rush is no joke. I was already in trouble, having resurrected versus Mom, so I went in with only soul hearts. I made it six or seven waves, but giving me the Mask of Infamy with The Bloat was just too much. :(

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Huh. Seems the PS4 version isn't quite as stable as I was hoping. After a run that failed hard on Mom's Heart, my next run had the icon for every item as a red question mark. Tried another run and a few levels in, it crashed, switched to the Loading screen, and stayed there. It was still animated, which seemed weird.

Got a weird item on that run that dropped my attack to 1, but made my shots super fast and super tiny. Sadly, I found out that you can't build your damage back up. It's permanently stuck at 1. I'm not sure what it's called, but I dubbed it Seizure Tears after going up against Gurdy. Christ.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Well, I beat up Satan (and everything else) so hard I crashed the game!

I got that Mega Tears/Short Range item on the first floor, got Shielded Tears at some point, got a Pentagram and a few other damage boosters, Common Cold, and something that made my tears bounce.

I annihilated the Boss Rush. Scarily, it seems there are character-specific unlocks, because Cain's Other Eye triggered once I beat the last bosses. After striking the killing blow on Satan - and I have no loving idea how, because I laid one bomb in the SW corner then started running - the game went "Oh god, take Judas and the Bomb Bag I don't even" and crashed on me.

Shielded Tears is crazy strong on Mom's Heart. You can just stand there and never get hit by anything. Especially if your tears are bigger than you are!

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
:psyduck:

Holy poo poo. Tammy's Head doing a twisting, poisonous, multi-Brimstone attack every room was incredible. I'm sad I couldn't get into Sheol, because that thing would've ruined Satan.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Good god. :stare:

So Bisnap had a Magic Mushroom and both parts of Cricket, then hit a D6 room that rerolled him. It looks like he has 3-Dollar Bill, Chocolate Milk, and piercing tears... but then he picked up Ring Worm and everything just turned silly.

This game is amazing.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
God drat, just fought The Lamb for the first time. That fucker's mean! It was an Azazel run that completely fell apart in Utero 2 and never got better. I finished Satan with about 4 hearts, and the chests in the new zone gave me nothing but a Dead Cat... which I had to take after picking a few incorrect routes and getting down to half a heart.

Had Tammy's Head and was going to use it on the boss when he gets to half health and splits in two but he used one of his attacks right after that. Didn't think he could do that! With only one heart and about six lives left, there was no way. That area's nuts. I ran into a big room that had like three Super Wraths and about a half dozen regular ones! That's way worse than the Chest!

Dead Boy will be easier on The Chest, for sure, unless they've made drastic changes to it. Even with any changes he has, I doubt ??? is tougher than the new guy.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Can someone explain what just happened?

I had an Eden run that started with Isaac's Tears, which is a really neat item. I picked up Ipecac and that did this to it. Then I got Technology, which made my main shot a laser but kept Isaac's Tears as Ipecac. My damage and shot speed were maxed for that floor. Then I go to the next one and suddenly my damage is at 3 and my shot speed is at 2. I died to Lokii and when I respawned my stats were different again. Damage was 2, shot speed maxed.

What the hell was causing that?

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Well, thanks to a lot of incredibly good luck and last-second Wafer and Triple Shot pickups, I managed to score my first final boss kill. You have to be overpowered as gently caress to even think about that guy, holy poo poo.

I wasn't able to see my health, so I panic popped my Full Health pill at one point in the hopes that, if I was low, I could beat him within 4 hits. I think I got hit 4 times just on that last bit of the fight, so I was doing better than I thought.

And then you don't even get anything for it! :mad:

Still don't have a Lamb kill on that save, either. I could've done it. Eden was so powerful at that point that I could've killed anything the game threw at me. What a fight!

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The hell actually triggers Golden God? Because I just got it and I'm not entirely sure why. Is it just for beating all end bosses? I got it after a successful Chest run. But I haven't beaten Mega Satan on the Steam version yet, so I guess he doesn't count.

Man, if there's something for beating him with The Lost...

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
You know what's a fun combination? Sacred Heart + Fire Mind!

Definitely the strongest I've been in Rebirth so far. The fact that I had a small army with me as backup wasn't hurting, either.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Fuckin' here we go again with this poo poo.

Got Golden God on the PS4 version and the trophy didn't pop. :mad: I guess at the very least I'm not unlocking Cain items as Eve this time around, but come on!

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Oxxidation posted:

Beat Suicide King on my first try. No big deal, smirk smirk smug smug.

Ok but seriously, I got three Guppy items and Dark Bum and still barely scraped through. Isaac is really not a good boss to fight with that loadout.

Oh Christ, that one goes all the way to the Cathedral? I guess the best hope is getting Mom's Knife or Brimstone early. It'd certainly speed things along, anyway.

I'm glad Solar System only went to the Heart, but if I hadn't gotten a Bible before the Depths, I don't think I would've ever beaten it. I think I must've fought about 30 god drat mini Masks of Infamy. :mad:

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
God, gently caress this stupid character unlock. Trying to get The Lost is the most frustrating garbage, even when using the wiki to get seeds to expedite the process! Like walk north one room and get blown up, then here's a seed with Pyro, then here's a Judas seed with Tech 2, Ipecac, Monster's Lung, and Sacred Heart (which is the worst combo. Don't do Ipecac ever)... and then all you have to do is do a seedless Azazel run and survive until Satan.

After like two hours of attempts, I finally got a run that got me to Satan... and I died to The Fallen. Fuckin' the game kept spawning those black Tech-laser firing cloud things! I'm not even entirely sure how those things work. Trying to get in close with Azazel sucks. Next time, Lost. :(

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Good god, Bisnap. Skip to around 21:45. Polyphemus + Proptosis + Rubber Cement + Double Shot + Death's Touch.

His Lamb kill is the fastest I've seen so far. I thought I was doing pretty well on a Sacred Heart run earlier but noooope. Not in comparison to that nonsense!

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Chocolate Milk + Ipecac might be my favorite combination. Look at this poo poo.

Unfortunately, that was a ??? run and without a way to restore health from all the self-bombing I was doing, it didn't end in a win. Can never seem to get Dark Bum to appear for ???...

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Can someone with a loving knowledge of how this poo poo works under the hood explain why Binding of Isaac games are plagued by achievements/trophies that refuse to pop?

The Golden God trophy not coming up was irritating, but whatever, that wouldn't take too long to redo. But it keeps happening. Blood Rights and Bloody Lust didn't ever pop, and now I can add Lazarus' Rags to the list.

I'm absolutely not unlocking The Lost until after this is fixed. All of this is annoying, but if Isaac's Heart or The Mind didn't pop, that'd just be god drat infuriating. Have Nicalis/Ed mentioned anything about a fix coming down the pipe at any point?

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I've played Evil Within and Colonial Marines this year and both of those were more fun than trying to get anything done as The Lost. Something absolutely needs to be done with him. Props to everyone who's gotten his poo poo legit. Sat here resetting for an hour and the best I've gotten is Epic Fetus, which is actually super bad for The Lost if you don't have anything to eat a hit.

I did spend awhile maxing out the donation machine, so the Stopwatch is out there somewhere, it just doesn't want to appear. I'd like to get his stuff knocked out before any nerfs hit, but god drat. You don't have to do a Mega Satan kill with him, do you? They're not that evil, are they?

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
After about an hour of restarts to try and A) not start in the Cellar and B) get a good starting item, I finally got another run with The Lost going. I found the Stopwatch for the first time in a shop and immediately bought it.

Then I entered a room with Pride, he spawned a troll bomb in the tiny gap behind me, between me and the door, and I couldn't see it because of the four followers I had. :bang:

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Full Battle Rattle posted:

How's this for a lost rebalance -

A trinket that will give you a set of collectibles when you collect a health up (say, 3 bombs, 3 keys, and 3 pennies for a permanent health point, and 1 each for a soul/black heart)

Just start him with the loving Stopwatch so we don't have to restart 500 times to get it on the first floor. Everyone's just restarting for that, Gnawed Leaf, Daddy Longlegs, or any of his other almost-required-to-win items anyway. Why not cut down on frustration and restarts?

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Getting better with The Lost, inasmuch as you can get better with him. I've reached Mom a few times... unfortunately, once you have to start dodging poo poo from that many sides at once, it becomes nigh impossible. Also just had a Mom's Knife/Book of Shadows run end on Depths 1. Maybe the most frustrated I've ever been with a game. I can't get anywhere even with on-demand invincibility, for gently caress's sakes.

I want Bisnap to hit this point in his save(s). I want to see how someone who's actually burned knowledge of the game (like damage multipliers and poo poo) to memory handles this garbage.

I also want to know who the hell started the myth that the Goat Head prevents stomp damage, because that's straight up a lie. I've tested it with The Lost! Figured what the hell, I'm gonna reach Satan at some point down the line, I should find out for myself before I reach him. So I entered the Mom fight and let her get the initial stomp off. Needless to say, that run was not a success.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
:bang: Mom's Knife + Sacred Heart run with The Lost ended in the room just before the Mom fight because it gave me about six Teratoma clusters. Thanks, game. Thanks for that.

Even if I'd have gotten Holy Mantle, it wouldn't have helped. I would've needed the Book of Shadows for that room, which would've left me empty for the boss itself. There's no such thing as a good Lost run.

E: Ahahahaa gently caress every loving rear end in a top hat involved in The Lost's creation. Mom's Knife + Stopwatch run ends in the Womb because those loving Lumps can pop up directly under you. That's it, I'm done. This game is poo poo. The Lost on his own manages to completely ruin the entire package. If they hadn't put items behind boss kills, if that all wasn't required for Real Platinum God, then fine. Throw him in as a joke. But this? When you get every item needed to win and still loving die because enemies can spawn directly under you? That's bullshit.

ChibiSoma fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Nov 30, 2014

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

It was the silliest loving run I've ever had in either Isaac game.

So I got basically every Speed Down there was. I was literally as slow as you can go. I couldn't outrun Isaac's Crack the Sky beams. I had to sit top-center and guess which way they'd come from. Thanks to Guppy's Collar, I had one retry and made it count. I skipped Mom due to a lucky Passage rune appearing. Also lucked out in finally getting some Damage Ups in the Womb stages after getting gently caress-all the rest of the game. I've never been more tense playing this game, and I've never been so happy to beat Isaac. I nearly died to It Lives, as I'd lost my one-hit from Holy Mantle, and my slow speed meant I had to get in super close to outrun the lasers, but god drat it I won.

Since I skipped Mom, I didn't get the Polaroid and couldn't advance to the Chest, but you know what? It's a start.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
And that's ??? killed with The Lost. Hit some kind of Isaac nirvana or something, I'm doing pretty good today. Can 3 Dollar Bill give the magnetic tears effect? I had Cursed Eye and that and I swear it felt like ???'s non-homing attacks were veering towards me.

Another fight where having extra lives saved me. I had to've been to 1 or 2 left on my 9, though. I had a horrible Chest run. Multiple double Monstro 2 rooms, a room with two Lokis and a Lokii, which was fun. Thankfully no Cages or Gates. Also, I never have to loving fight Isaac or ??? with The Lost again now, and that's pretty great.

Unfortunately, that means Satan and The Lamb are next, and that's not great. Gonna need more than Cursed Eye and a 3 Dollar Bill to get by them. I'm terrible at dodging Satan. I think I'm gonna need to hope for Holy Mantle and the Stop Watch to get through there.

Here's to getting killed at the very end of a run by The Lamb's stupid head ram!

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Finally got The Lost through to The Lamb, on Hard no less. Figured since I had to do it anyway, might as well do every Lost run on Hard. I didn't have a single Damage Up, and I had to skip most item/shop rooms due to lack of keys. The only things I had in my favor were 9 Lives and Dark Matter. The Satan fight took about 3 Lives, I killed myself once in the Dark Room on purpose to escape a double Fallen room. The rest were eaten by The Lamb. I was down to my final life and I somehow pulled out a win.

The spinning laser is the loving worst! I wanted to get rid of the body ASAP so the flies and random bullets wouldn't kill me while I was working on the head. My hands were shaking for awhile after that run, but god drat it, it's done and I don't have to roll that route again. Getting to and killing Blue Baby is gonna be way easier. Still don't have the Boss Rush with The Lost, but I think I'll need Holy Mantle and Brimstone for that one, if for no other reason than to keep Gish's near-invisible shots from ending it.

10 achievements left. Just over 100 hours logged. Still haven't formed a full Meat Boy/Bandage Girl. :mad:

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Okay, after three full hours of resetting literally hundreds and hundreds of times to A) get an item room off of spawn, B) getting something useful for the little gently caress out of them, and C) starting in the Basement rather than the Cellar, I've come to a conclusion.

The Lost seems to be limited to start-of-game, before-you-unlock-better-poo poo items 99% of the time. Once in a blue moon, one of the 14 Special items will be in there (Mutant Spider, Soy Milk, etc) and once every few hundred resets you might get something marginally useful (Double Shot, Death's Touch) but those will be more rare than the Special items are. I don't know if something with The Lost is bugged or if this is working as intended, but you will never run across more useless god drat garbage as you will when trying to use The Lost.

All I wanted was to knock out Boss Rush so I could be done. I never made it to the Depths levels in that 3 hour period. Outside of playing on Hard, which is a frustrating slog on top of The Lost's already awful luck, I think I saw Monstro's Tooth, the Bean, and the stupid meme laser more times in the last few hours than I have in the... like 80 hours I sank into other characters.

It can't be coincidence. Those early-game items show up more frequently as this turd than anyone else. Also, Devil Room items seem to skew wildly in favor of 3-chest rooms and single-item rooms. On the rare occurrence you get more than one, they're going to be poo poo like the Hairball or Brother Bobby. I've probably been at The Lost for a good 20, 30 hours total now. I've seen Brimstone once. That's not normal. Brimstone isn't that rare.

I really wanna see what's going on under the hood with The Lost. I'm convinced he either starts with negative luck or is just drawing from a pool of items that's smaller and more limited.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Do Eden's starting items count? Because I had a run where I started with the D100. Do items you reroll into count for your collection? Got SMB Super Fan at one point.

D100 seems like a pretty fine way of getting Lord of the Flies, because I sure as hell haven't seen that many fly items. Certainly not multiples per run. Wonder if I could reroll into a full Meat Boy/Bandage Girl...

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Bug Bill Murray posted:

These new patches suck. Now that there's no way to cheese the Lost runs I don't think I'm ever going to beat it. I managed to kill Isaac on hard mode and that alone took me like 10 hours. Have no idea how boss rush is even possible unless I luck into some insane combo of items, which I don't feel like restarting hundreds of times to get.

If you don't get Brimstone by Caves 2, reset and try again. Take anything that would boost your chances at a Devil Room. I dunno if blowing up beggars still counts towards it, but do it anyway. I beat the boss rush with Brimstone and a Magician card. Park your rear end behind the right set of middle rocks and unload. Damage Ups obviously help speed things up. The only times you'll have to move are when Monstro 2/Gish show up and the Mask/Bloat round to keep from eating poo poo on the Bloat's side lasers.

I'm really glad I got The Lost completely done before the nerfs dropped. Hopefully the delay in console patches means I can do that before they hit on the PS4, too.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Well hey there, Dead Boy. It's about loving time you showed up! Had a Hard Mode Isaac run that I got Li'l Brimstone and Lost Contact on. Then I scored Triple Shot in the Chest and had an Emperor card. ??? couldn't touch me.

I'm hoping since this trophy's fixed, the others are as well so I can unlock The Lost and start working on his garbage on the PS4. Can finally finish the Challenges, too.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Nothin' like losing a Brimstone/Holy Mantle run because you drew Red Mom and her inconsistent loving stomps. PS4 version doesn't have a quick restart feature, either, so Lost runs are even more fun! They claimed it was because they ran out of buttons, but I don't see anything mapped to L3/R3 so :iiam:

Migishu posted:

So I'm trying to do the Meat Boy/Bandage girl achievements.

I have epic fetus, I have the D6, I have... placenta

This current run has been going for 3 1/2hrs so far.

This is going really, really, slowly :suicide:

Godspeed. I haven't hit the right combination of items to go for them myself. Getting those and finding Godhead are all that's keeping me from RPG.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Awesome. Just beat the last Challenge I needed to finish them all off and oh hey the trophy didn't pop. Can these dipshits loving get their game working correctly already? They fixed Dead Boy but apparently nothing else! Good job.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Used about 40 Eden tokens, but I rolled up Godhead. Got the Dollar with Cain. But gently caress if I can get a secret room to spawn an item so I can try rerolling it into a Skeleton Key or Transcendence. Only two items I need. As is, I've been restarting if the first floor's secret room doesn't have anything. Can those two items even spawn in an early secret room? I dunno what the rules of those are in Rebirth.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Where the hell does MissingNo actually spawn? The wiki says it's a secret room item, but I've been rerolling all day to get Transcendence and the Skeleton Key and haven't seen it. Also saw someone mention finding it in an I Am Error room and that seems to make more sense.

Should I keep doing secret room reroll runs, or should I reset for Undefined and hope for the best?

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

After a week of getting back to work on it, I got everything done with The Lost. Godhead's in the basement now. I got the scythes, freezing tears, and turned into Guppy. Good thing because I got the Champion version of the Boss Rush.

So what's the problem? The "Isaac's Heart" trophy didn't loving pop so I have to loving do it again. I thought this poo poo got fixed! Why the gently caress do BoI games have such a problem with achievements not unlocking correctly?! I want to be done with The Lost, I've done this poo poo twice now, PC and PS4! This character's a plague on an otherwise excellent game. At least I got the Boss Rush done, I guess. I 'only' have to worry about reaching Isaac. But that's still no guarantee the trophy will pop.

I assumed the issue was fixed as I've gotten trophies on save file 1 since the fixing-trophies patch dropped. I got the one for beating Satan with The Lost. It just decided not to pop when I steamrolled Isaac with flies. I don't particularly feel like trying to redo this on save file 2. I don't have The Lost unlocked there, and it's far behind save 1 in regards to what's unlocked.

tl;dr: gently caress The Lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Fedule posted:

Assuming your problem is actually the trophies just not popping:

This sounds risky (losing my save, ie), but I'm willing to try it because I just beat Isaac on save file 2, which was made post-patch, and the trophy still didn't unlock. If it doesn't fix it or I lose my save, then gently caress it, I'm done with the PS4 version. If they ever decide to unfuck it, I'll go back.

Hopefully this does the job though. Thanks.

E: ...Not only did this not pop the achievement, but for some reason, the save it pulled down was not the save I uploaded. There is no second save file and the first was from long before I unlocked The Lost. So yeah. I got hosed out of the trophy and I got hosed out of even having a chance at doing it again. Time to delete the game. gently caress it. Nothing about this lovely game wants to loving work.

ChibiSoma fucked around with this message at 10:39 on May 22, 2015