Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
gently caress X a billion.

Finally cleared Cathedral/Isaac with the Lost. Used a map card in the chest to go straight to Blue Baby fight. Two rooms away I run into 2x adversary.
No Cat, no holy mantle, no trinity shield. Just 2 flies, fat fly, and dry baby.
I hate this game so much.....

Earlier on a non lost run I finally found out how to kill the Tank in One hit. Epic fetus + ipecac works wonders.

Has anyone made any sort of either calculator where you can just tick things off, or something that reads the game data, so I can see exact values for the various stats?

Gibbo fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Feb 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Soul Glo posted:

Cricket's Head, Cricket's Body, Lump of Coal, Pentagram, Fat Mushroom, Proptosis, Blood Clot and Chocolate Milk later, and I had charged tears taking up 25% of my screen.

25% of the screen?

That's in a 2x2 room. (Normal mode because I was finishing off a game the girlfriend was playing and abandoned to go to work)

A whole bunch of poo poo, and then chocolate milk and Eve's Mascara to push it in to "truly ridiculous" territory"

Internet Kraken posted:

Where are saved files for this game stored? I'm transferring to a new computer and would rather not lose all my progress.

They should all be on Steam Cloud, assuming you have it enabled.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

Every time I've had book of Rev and been close to finishing meat/bandage, I get conquest. :(

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

CJacobs posted:

This is a myth, just an fyi, there is no way to guarantee you will get a horseman.

Uhh, except that's one of the main functions of the Book of Rev, is switching the boss out for a Harbinger. It only seems to not work 100% in the womb.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

YF-23 posted:

It generally seems to not have a 100% chance of working in my experience, Womb or no Womb.

http://bindingofisaacrebirth.gamepedia.com/Book_Of_Revelations

I've never seen it fail to work outside of the exceptions listed in the wiki.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

With the amount of poo poo in Isaac, I'm sure there are countless edge cases that come within a bit of breaking the game. So if an item fails to spawn a boss 1 in 100 times, then that's still better than a CTD

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

Hyphen-ated posted:

Hello Isaac Players. Brett824 and I made an item tracker that tells you item stats when you pick them up, and you can also click on the items to open the platinumgod page about them. Check it out: https://github.com/Hyphen-ated/RebirthItemTracker

Just did a couple runs with this. Great tool.

Any way you could make it (or put in options to make it/not make it):

-Go to a second line after X itemsAlready does this if you make the window bigger :doh:
-Display mod totals for each stat(Maybe not with multipliers because I have no idea how they stack)
-Are pills trackable?

And I'm guessing food is supposed to not show up because it's just health and nobody cares?

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

Photux posted:

What's the best way to find secret room items?

I've gotten every achievement except Platinum God and the Lost-related achievements. I'd like to get Platinum God, but there are a few items I've never picked up, and most of them are only found in the secret room. I've been bombing the wall in the room where I spawn and immediately restarting if I don't find a secret room. Is there a better way to find secret room items? It seems like secret rooms hardly ever even have items, so it's taking forever to do it this way.

How many hours have you played? If it's under 200 go play more.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

Chin Strap posted:

Any Linux support?

As a linux user isn't it supposed to be your job to take stuff and make it work on linux?

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

IMJack posted:

I finally unlocked the D100 and Godhead!

Things I still need to unlock:
the Scissors - I'm at 86 deaths to 93 Mom-kills, not counting all the Alt-F4 abuse it took to finish the Lost
the D4 - time to start bombing arcade machines
the Necronomicon - I don't think I've actually used any Death cards so far
all of the babies from Hard Mode Mom-kills, save -0-

Other than those, I still need to find Steven (ugh), Isaac's Heart, and the newly unlocked D100 and Godhead.

It's poo poo like this that pushes me really close to sperg rage, and then I remember it's just a game.

It seriously cracks me up that people are spending the time/effort to cheat their way through the lost unlocks when they don't even play on hard regularly.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

If you guys can't survive a run with tech have you considered that you might be bad at the game?

Tech 1 and 2 are only Bad when you have an exceptionally low tear rate. (And until you get at least one damage up for tech 2)

The hitbox on Tech 1 is a bit wonky, but only for wall spiders, and it's easy to adjust to.

Tech 2 is pretty much always a net power gain with a "normal" build (low numbers or super late game god combos lose damage)

Tech .5 is just some extra damage.

The techs lose out a little because there are more ways to gain piercing in Rebirth than there were in classic.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

Prop Wash posted:

Personally the thought never occurred to me. I don't like tech because it doesn't play well with a lot of otherwise fun tear effects, guppy and spoon bender being notable exceptions.

Well that's fine and a choice to be made. Outright saying "Tech 1 is bad because hitbox and tech2 is bad because damage down" despite the math meaning it's a net damage up, leads me to believe some people need to stop playing on normal and put in more hours.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

Duckforce Alpha posted:

Anyone have a seed or some advice for unlocking Mom's Contacts? It's the last item/secret I need before Real Platinum God (PS4) and I've been trying all drat day.

I've got mom's eye in basement I treasure room and mom's heels from the first boss and nothing shows up. I've tried other combinations to no avail. I've even had mom's eye and purchased mom's pills, still nothing.

It's the last thing I need and I'm very eager to finish it up.

Use Isaac with the d6 and reroll anything that isn't a Mom item? There are enough mom items that it's just bad luck / your seed draws stopping you.

Also try to grab the knife from a devil deal.

Gibbo fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Feb 24, 2015

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

omeg posted:

I've got my RPG legitimately so no need to be condescending. If you have any sources for your "math meaning it's a net damage up" statement I'll gladly see them. As far as I know Tech 1 fires at your normal tear rate and doesn't improve damage, so its only positive is piercing/range. I don't know how to calculate Tech 2's DPS but it just wasn't impressive unless I already had good killing power.

Tech 2 is a 30% damage decrease, but you now fire from a second source.

Say you had 10 damage, your tears now do 7 and the beam from tech 2 does 7. 14>10.

Considering most characters start with 3.5 damage.:

3.5*.7 =2.45. that's 2.45 for the tear and 2.45 for the beam. Still technically more, but the low fire rate at the beginning of the game makes it seem exceptionally lovely. I'm also not exactly sure how the beam distributes its damage, as I think quickly moving the beam over an enemy doesn't do a full tick worth of damage.

Having 2.5 damage instead of 3.5 damage will lead to early enemies taking 1-2 more tears than normal to kill.

Later on, this becomes less of an issue.

Edit: Apparently it's a 35% damage decrease, not fixing the numbers. Still a net gain. http://bindingofisaacrebirth.gamepedia.com/Technology_2

Tech 2 also doesn't override Polyphemus/Mom's Knife. It does combo poorly with Brim, and I don't know what it does with Epic Fetus.

Gibbo fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Feb 24, 2015

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

Xenogenesis posted:

Unless I missed it, you didnt factor in that Tech 2 replaces half your tears with the laser. The damage is straight up worse.

I consider the fact that your fire rate on the tear is down balanced by the continuous fire of the laser.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

Xenogenesis posted:

The laser damages each enemy hit once per shot.

For Tech 1 yes. Not tech 2, which is constant. The Tic rate on that beam is determined by tear rate, and it hits more often than when your tear eye fires.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

messagemode1 posted:

"That feel when" you successfully complete a Lost run, unlocking an item, and flip back to the character screen and realize you had accidentally selected Normal.

First thing I do on any run is check for the pentagram for this reason. goondolences.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

Does anyone have any idea why the game would run fine on a pretty standard laptop, runs fine on my desktop fullscreen (4690k, 7970), but when I try to play windowed on my desktop I see massive slowdown periodically?

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

Dr. Fetus posted:

Because when you're playing fullscreen, the computer only has to render the game. If you're playing in windowed mode, it has to render the game and everything else.
I get that. But I can play games that require ~actual 3d rendering etc~ at good framerates, windowed, running 2 monitors. It comes in spikes with isaac, and pretty much only isaac.

gamingCaffeinator posted:

It's weird, but I see the exact opposite problem. The game runs beautifully on my desktop in either mode, but windowed mode on my laptop causes insane slowdown.

This is more what I'd expect ^. A slower (presumably) system seeing issues.

I want to be able to play on my desktop but it's hard to play well on a large monitor at fullscreen.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

Ferroque posted:

I just got 4 luck down pills out of mom's coin purse.

I guess it was a sign of things to come. Also the fact that there isn't something in the coding make it so you are guaranteed at least two different pills makes that item even lousier.

I suppose I could look it myself, but has Edmund said anything about expected release date for the expansion? Q2, Q3? or just "this year"

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

strangemusic posted:

Any tips for Solar System? It's kinda kicking my rear end.

Git gud.

Seriously, Solar system is one of the fun ones. Try to find BFF in the shops to make your flies do even more damage? Other than that, learn your spacings.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

Hyphen-ated posted:

ProblemsIRL thinks poly is a terrible speed item; not everyone agrees. antizoubilamaka, the current WR holder for 7 and 10 characters to the chest, thinks it's great. So do I

As a first floor item it gives you a significant damage boost and a limited form of piercing that combos well will pretty much anything that follows. Don't see how anyone would consider that an item not good for speed.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

I've been working on my speed play a little, but I'm not sure how to get in to racing (because I'm apparently retarded)

Where do I find the rules? Is it just the same as old BOILR?

Just go through SRL?

Gibbo fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Mar 2, 2015

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

Cobalt60 posted:

Is everyone Command-Q'ing upon death to beat the Lost runs? After doing this (many times in one run) last night to beat Boss Rush mode, I cannot understand the idea of doing it totally clean, e.g. no restarting and no fast-quitting.

This is because you are not worthy.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

Cobalt60 posted:

Ugh, unless the first three Azazel runs bottom out the donation machine after 1-2 coins. That's honestly a loving obnoxious feature.

Maybe I'll try again later...

This is why you were supposed to do it as you played. Every now and then you'll find a run where you can put in 70+ coins and you happen to have piggy bank + swallowed penny + humble bundle

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

Poonerman posted:

Accidentally went to Sheol over Cathedral on a Guppy run.

:shepicide:

Wait until you make that mistake during a race.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

Plinking Shears

Is this some kind of inside joke, or are people just retarded and illiterate? This is not the first time I've seen this and it's driving me crazy.

Pinking shears are the toothed shears used for fabric and possibly something else.

Plinking, with an L, is priority linking, a thing that abuses the lovely coding of SFIV to make links easier.

For the love of god people LEARN THE loving NAMES Of your items.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

Prop Wash posted:

Quoted for posterity, and also because plinking has its own English definition that isn't whatever weird sperg language you're using. Maybe it is you who is are illiterate

So it does, but that point being is that the other uses of the word plinking don't involve shears.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

CJacobs posted:

And as we all know that's a perfectly logical reason to be a dipshit and call people retarded

I'm gonna refer to the Pinking Shears as the Plinking Shears from now on just to make you mad

:goonsay:

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

flatluigi posted:

Keep digging that hole deeper, dude, maybe there's still a single person who doesn't find you ridiculous

As if I care what you think. Excuse me while I go condition my neckbeard. I retain the right to refer to someone that can't transcribe the name of something they regularly see spelled in front of them as an idiot.

Gibbo fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Mar 8, 2015

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

:iceburn:

Welp.

(Except that use of plinking was not a one off)

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

Damnit, I didn't wake up before 10am to play video games to not be able to play video games.

STEAM REFUND.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

It turns out that Afterbirth was a scam all along. He's already on his way to the Bahamas with your sweet sweet $6.

In an attempt to get back at people for Data mining the method to unlock the lost, Edmund has made it so you have to figure out how to even play Afterbirth

The Duggler posted:

Anyone know why Isaac runs at 2 fps when in windowed mode but perfectly when full screen?

Are you playing on a potato?