Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Finally decided to start chipping away at this after watching streams of it for so long.

Had a decent first run considering most of my items were familiars (solid enough devil deals + Cricket's Head helped a lot). My first item was the Bible and I got all the way to Mom, was well on my way to killing her normally, but then decided I might as well pop flight and oops.... I forgot it did that. :downs: But hey, now I have the Halo unlocked!

Edit: Second run was NIN into Quad Shot into 20/20. :lol:

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Oct 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
asdfklasdjlk one of those runs.

Working on completion marks with Eve, got a fantastic if non-traditional build thanks to Fire Mind, Dead Onion, and Dead Dove + Devil Baby feeding me soul hearts. I passed up PhD early on because there weren't a lot of pills to work with and I was fishing for something better (end result was basically Mom's Key and Deck of Cards over PhD, a sensible trade). Immediately next floor I get pill baby and regret my choices, but soldier on. In the womb I mindlessly pick up a blind item. Pill baggie. Goodbye Deck of Cards. :doh:

Made it to Sheol where I end up eating tons of poo poo thanks to The Fallen never not being a massive pain in the rear end, including the intro to Satan where I die and revive thanks to 9 lives with gently caress all to work with. Time to start popping pills. Balls of Steel is in the pool. :aaa: I proceed to farm out every last room of Sheol just to get every possible soul heart back I can and of course in the process eat some more poo poo. One of the last rooms spawns a red chest. Zipped to the devil deal and it's blind. I make my choice and it's Guppy's collar, giving me my third Guppy piece. :aaaaa: Between Guppy, the extra health, and nerves I manage to stop running directly into Satan's brimstone like an idiot and phase two aint no thing because I've got orbitals aplenty. Run done!

...Oh wait, I picked up the Negative. Welcome to the Dark Room, idiot! :unsmigghh: I proceed to repeat the same process as Sheol, clearing everything out to exhaust every possible pill drop. I also start picking up every last blind item (of course it was blind) because I'm assuming the run is dead and I might as well go for broke. End result is that I actually snowball into roughly doubling my damage, gain a little extra health, and end up with a thick swarm of flies to bring into the Lamb fight...all of which ended up being just enough, winning the run with a scant two hearts left.

Did I mention this was run five of Five Nights at Mom's? :shobon:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Made the mistake of picking up Ipecac while I already had Rubber Cement.

...Still cleared Lamb as Blue Baby on the first try. :feelsgood:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
For me at least, my gut feeling is that it's down to the difference in tone between the two games. Isaac is gross and weird and dark but I think I get what they were going for, even if it is overly edgy at times. Meanwhile Bumbo has a lot of the same gross and weird stuff, but it almost entirely lost the dark aspects in favor of cartoony cardboard antics (though maybe that changes somewhat once you unlock more stuff), so it just comes off as childish.

Also after loving it up once before I finally got the Forgotten unlocked. :toot:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Unlocked Cracked Crown. :toot:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I conquered Ultra Hard. :toot:

(Is there a way to say Ultra Hard wasn't actually as hard as I thought it'd be without sounding like an rear end in a top hat? It's more RNG than anything, like a number of other challenges, but also a few quirks, such as many enemies lacking champion variants, take some of the bite out of it.)

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

ArfJason posted:

Sup broski heres a room with 2 adversaries on opposite corners hope they dont brim at the same time!
I've only just barely started to be able to sorta dodge Adversary's goddamn brim. I'll never figure out how to consistently dodge Lil Gurdy's charge attack. :negative:

Vidmaster posted:

Feels good to be done with the last of the challenges. This and Onan’s Streak were the hardest for me, but I managed to pull that one off with tech .5 and infested baby letting me kill without firing another shot after the first 3 floors. Now I just have the harder unlocks like Zip, 5 nights, and Marathon to go before 1,000,000%!

So many of my challenge completions came down to either restart scumming or silly luck. My successful Speed run involved first item Lil Brim, which I scummed for sure, but then a naturally dropped Baby Bender is what made it actually pop off. In the case of Zip I finished it with a single hit and seconds to spare and I only managed it because of a Devil deal with Mom's Knife halfway through. Though in that case I was a dummy and forgot to switch it off of hard.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Dec 4, 2019

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Greed/ier mode sure does get you intimately familiar with every little physics quirk and broken hitbox the game has to offer.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Wow, the Keeper is the first character that I can just not derive any enjoyment from whatsoever.

After several excruciating starts finally had a run that was going perfectly well until oops no iframes so insta-dead to a bullshit room despite having Swallowed Penny.

Multiple runs involved entering a Mega Rag Man fight where he just instantly sicced all three orbs onto me, leading to functionally unavoidable damage.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Dec 9, 2019

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Blazed through half of the Lost's completion marks with aplomb (including Hush) but then died to Delirium....who doesn't count towards God Head so I aint even mad.

Starting to eyeball the mod (well, one of like three that does that, amongst another couple that do their own thing) that grants the Keeper Greed's Gullet by default. I'd say it was cheesy but it's not like it's a purely beneficial item and it's thematic to the character so whatever. Can also just start with Swallowed Penny which feels cheesier but tbh I could and would restart scum to get my mitts on it before investing in a run so it doesn't make a vast difference to me.

If the intent was to push Keeper towards relying on shops more (vs. Devil/Angel Deals) as his gimmick, then that gimmick sucks considering how RNG shops are (Greed or no Greed, which type of machine you get, the 1% roll for a lovely nothing shop) and how eclectic the item pool is. Also not just starting with Wooden Nickel or Store Key by default. :argh:

Edit: Turns out the wiki was lying and you do need to kill Delirium. So I did. :smug: Also got a huge break in Greedier. And thus, I have obtained God Head. :rock:

...And then I went into the daily, triggered Dedication! at last, then promptly crashed. Upon reopening the game I guess it reverified my cheevos so now it looks like I cheated. Oh well.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Dec 10, 2019

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Canuckistan posted:

I think I'm just going to download a save file and get all unlocks. I just don't have the time or the skill to unlock everything and I want Godhead. I've not seen a missing poster in like 100 hours. I think I used to see it all the time before I knew what it could do.

You do have it unlocked, right?

Aside from getting it purely from a dumb luck drop, it's down to getting a game break where you can Blank Card + Jera some infinite batteries and run Mom's Box through the trinket pool.

Also lbr having God Head unlocked doesn't mean all that much considering the rarity of Angel items on top of it being uncommon even within that pool AFAIK.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Dec 11, 2019

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

ArfJason posted:

The run i got it in i got moms box on basement 2 and only got the poster on the loving cathedral.

This was exactly how it happened for me.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Greed's Gullet, on top of seeming like it was supposed to part of the Keeper all along (especially since it otherwise only appears in the secret room pool and very rarely on top of that already fairly rare chance), is also incredibly unintuitive bordering on bugged. It completely disables normal HP gain from any other source. Or at the very least it does if you take a Devil deal for some mystifying reason. Even if the Devil deal took one of his original coin hearts and Gullet wasn't even "activated" yet. :what: I at least get why consuming a piece of Gullet HP destroys it forever (even if I don't necessarily agree that's how it should work), but that then being retroactively applied to his base health makes no sense.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Dec 12, 2019

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

GrandmaParty posted:

Finally beat Delirium as the Lost. I don't recommend it.

I didn't do the one where you leave it on forever and let daddy's love take care of it, either. Just abused Algiz.

All of my Lost unlocks went incredibly smooth that way. Stacking Stop Watch, Blanket, Blank Card + Algiz or Chariot, and/or Tarot Cloth (oh and Car Battery for Blank Card too) makes it incredibly difficult to die. When I did Boss Rush I had all of that stuff combined so at first I thought the game was bugging out when my Agilz shield was lasting drat near forever. And that's of course just counting shop items and not stuff like Empty Vessel, Virgo, Celtic Cross, etc.

Oh and incidentally I finished unlocking everything last night. :toot: Now I just need to find the six new items I unlocked to complete the collection and trigger absolute 100% completion.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Dec 19, 2019

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Stockwell posted:

Been playing the PS4 version on and off since about 2015, stopped about 6 months ago and just started again the other day. I had been stuck on beating greedier mode with the Lost, Keeper, and Forgotten, and I managed to knock all 3 out in two nights. Just cleared the Ultra Hard challenge as well, which was the final one that was eluding me. I've got every post-it filled now, so it looks like I'm basically just doing runs until I find the remaining few items I haven't come across yet.

Would normal runs using Isaac/D6 be the best way to go? Been using Eden but it sucks if you get stuck with low firerate/damage at the start. Don't really feel like farming greed mode as I'm pretty tired of it at this point.

Keep in mind there's some side achievements and such so I'd double check on those. Also make sure you have a kill for those dumb blue fatties logged - they only randomly spawn in the Chest on Normal - and as such it's very easy to end up with a full bestiary minus them.

If you want to fill out the item collection, the absolute fastest and easiest way is actually to get a shop break and buy until you get Chaos + Missingno. Doesn't work for active items, but that'll definitely roll you through everything else in a hurry. And even if the game doesn't cough those up you'll be digging through the item pools to get to them anyway.

PostNouveau posted:

Greed mode used to be pretty easy to break. But I haven't tried it in like 3 booster packs. I don't know if the diluted item pools made it harder.

As someone who also blazed through their final Greedier runs, yes, it still is. Though IME it's less "get 2 of Diamonds + Blank Card" and more "get D20, a battery in the shop, and 5c".

Though I also had silly amounts of luck in just naturally getting Tech X over and over, so that helped.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jan 22, 2020

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

The Moon Monster posted:

Is there some trick to making bedrooms appear or is it complete luck of the draw? The only things I have left for 100% are the Suicide King challenge, the Dedication achievement, and unlocking the drat blanket. It's probably been 10+ runs since I've seen a bedroom.

Dunno if it's better than the Greed mode method already mentioned, but bedrooms are more likely to appear if you're hurt and the Lost is considered to have a permanent half soul heart as their health value. So you'll get a bedroom on floor 2 incredibly often.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I'm really getting sick of runs where I just get gently caress all. No consumables, no marked rocks, worthless shops, and a random grab bag of mediocre utility items.

This has even been happening on vanilla Isaac runs where I can D6 bad items. :mad:

And then multiple times these runs survive to like, Caves 2/Depths 1 and I suddenly get Magic Mushroom, Brimstone, and Tammy's Head and the game's just boringly won at that point.

Edit:

Was down to one missing item, Eye of Greed, and here comes MissingNo. in a broken shop so...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k0SmqbBIpQ

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 10:08 on May 26, 2020

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Capital Letdown posted:

I didn't have this happen but I did just check and I don't even have a daily run option, it only gives me the option to check the daily run leaderboard. Everything else is whited out!

Do you have mods active?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Canuckistan posted:

I'm trying to complete Keeper and it's just not fun. Still have mega stanley, Hush, and Delerium left and I think it's going to stay that way.

I did Keeper unlocks with a mod to make him less poo poo (start with Swallowed Penny and Greed's Gullet, the latter of which is so loving obviously designed for him that it baffles me he doesn't have it by default) and it was still a miserable experience. You basically need to hope for one of a couple near-instant run winning items like Tech X and even then you can get hosed when the game decides to not give you i-frames for no reason so you get insta-2 hit dead.

Well, that and also use the Always Mega Satan/Boss Rush/Hush/Void mods because gently caress needing to play the RNG game on top of that.

The Moon Monster posted:

IIRC all of my superboss kills with the lost used an I'm Drowsy pill or the Broken Stopwatch.

For me the big secret of wrecking superbosses and boss rush with Lost was stacking invincibility effects + Pocket Watch. Blanket gives you an extra mantle charge, losing it still procs Pocket Watch. Or the ole Blank Card + Car Battery + Tarot Cloth + Algiz giving you 2 full minutes of complete invulnerability.

Though I guess it helps that I'm solidly not completely terrible at dealing with Hush or Delirium.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Not a mod, it's built into the game. Check the options menu, it's there somewhere. Might be called something innocuous. There's an additional option to show the last 10 (passive) items you've picked up at all times too.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

PostNouveau posted:

I think I wound up cheesing the Greed machine with a blue hourglass exploit that may have been since patched.

It did, yeah.

Count me as someone who actually enjoys Greed mode. Just for the sake of some variety + different strategies and ways to break compared to normal runs. It's sometimes volatile and lovely, but so's the main game.

Speaking of, getting a bit weary of hitting double digits on my Eden streaks only to be served up an unwinnable plate of poo poo. Bad stats plus a rock-filled Fistula boss room. Oh, it turns out Fistula does 1 full heart of contact damage because ???????? gently caress off, game.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

John Lee posted:

And also because fighting the boss on a floor first is a greater chance of a devil room - nothing says you have to leave the floor after fighting the boss, just go back and clear the floor afterwards with your new power.

Not really true. Taking red health damage from an enemy or hazard (including cursed room door and sac room spikes) will harm your deal chance, otherwise you can save the boss for last just fine. In fact, bombing keepers (shop or secret rooms) and beggars can raise your deal chance so it can be worth clearing to find those and bump up the odds a little.

Beyond that, going into the boss immediately is ultimately a gamble. There are some very nasty bosses but there are also some very nasty rooms. If you've got bare red health you'll have to do some calculus on which option is better in that case.

W/r/t Cathedral in specific, no, you can pretty safely skip through it. It has some mild advantages that can be relevant - easier to spot marked rocks, blue fires to bomb, your standard compliment of special room types (challenge, cursed, sacrifice) - but otherwise it can be full of truly tedious rooms, lots of mini/bosses, and usually has an obnoxious layout no matter what. No item room, no shop, no devil deal.

Womb 1&2 are the same, though you can force item rooms and/or shops to spawn with specific trinkets. (And you do get deals.) There are also some fantastic, though rare, womb rooms. Like one with 2 free rerollable items at the cost of spike damage.

Also another great way to fill out your item collection is to combine Chaos with MissingNo.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jun 28, 2020

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

John Lee posted:

Yeah, but even if you're a decent player, going through a entire floor and then the boss is more likely to make you get hit than just fighting the boss. [Citation needed], yeah, I don't have any data, but beyond like absolute top-tier players, I'm pretty confident in the assertion.

To me your original post didn't read as "do boss ASAP if you only have red health because you're less likely to lose your deal" but "do boss ASAP because mechanically you'll have a higher deal chance" hence my confusion.

But honestly I still disagree unless you're truly desperate or have some kind of ace up your sleeve (High Priestess, forex). If you take damage outside of the boss room, you'll hurt your deal chance but it'll bounce back up. (I think repeated damage can shave it down to lower and lower percentages?) Whereas if you take a single hit against the boss, boom, enjoy your unavoidable 1%.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
"Just perfect the boss" starts to break down when you consider the multitude of truly poo poo bosses/boss variants you can pull, even on floor 1 or 2. That's why I said it was a gamble. Maybe it's vanilla Monstro, maybe it's loving Rag Man and he brought 10 goddamn spiders along with him for good measure. :gonk:

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jun 29, 2020

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah, your chance of getting a devil deal after killing the boss goes down to zero if you take red heart damage at any time on the floor.

If you turn down a devil deal, the devil room in the future has a chance to be an angel room. If you use the hud that displays the game stats, these are the last two stats on the bottom.

Not to continue being a tedious :spergin: but it doesn't go down to zero. In fact I'm not sure you can actually get a 0% deal chance outside of having already been in the devil room and then exited and it closed.

Protip for learning about devil deals: They start appearing on Floor 2, where you'll begin with a 100% chance no matter what. So if you want to take a walk on the wild side, practice perfect-clearing Floor 2 (or protect those squishy red hearts with soul hearts; try looking in the shop for those).

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Eventually with the right unlock Maggy stops being slow.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Pretty sure it acts exactly how you'd expect. Super fast charge speed but crappy damage.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
If you're playing the full version of the game, Brimstone does *not* override Ipecac anymore. Mom's Knife does, though.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

The Moon Monster posted:

Ah, bummer. The new interaction looks like it makes the brimstone half borderline unusable, I guess its been years since I actually had that combo.

Like a lot of combos that spike brim's charge time up, it's certainly effective and bound to murder the hell out of anything you shoot it at...but you've got to tediously get there first. With the added "bonus" of making sure you don't ipecac yourself in the face in the meantime.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Yeah not to ruin the magic but that is just how April's Fool works. Every pickup is converted into a different pickup...on pickup. And IIRC it's just a logical matter of, out of all possible pickups, there are way more types of hearts than anything else.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Honestly my #1 irritation in general is boss variants that are "same old boss, but we've removed 50% of the playable space with rocks".

I find Matriarch in an empty room to be fine, if a little bit annoying. Matriarch with rocks is loving lethal without a top-notch build.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
My biggest complaints are the completely unnecessary blood ball shot copy and pasted from Mr. Fred, as the lingering creep is guaranteed to gently caress you over in the rock-filled version of the fight, and her final split including one of those standalone pig in a blanket mini-Matriarch maggot things which are obnoxious by themselves already.

I've always felt like the hate for her has been exaggerated a little bit, but there's no denying that there's so much random poo poo thrown into that fight that you could easily make 1-2 small changes and the fight would still be sufficiently challenging without being as aggravating.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

e: like are any of the other Womb exclusive bosses even at the difficulty level of Bloat and Sisters Vis

Wait, are Sisters Vis supposed to be hard? :psyduck:

Ariong posted:

For the purposes of unlocking the D4, do I need to blow up arcade machines by using them or can I use bombs? Do shell games count as machines?

Pretty sure you can bomb 'em, yeah. Shell games almost certainly don't count, dunno about fortune machines.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The ultimate Isaac's Heart synergy is Blood Rights. Spammable room-wide 40 damage with no cost.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Wildtortilla posted:

The whole point of my rambling tale about a random, not very exciting run is: I'm not dog poo poo anymore and while getting a sweet build and blasting through the game with ease feels good, it feels just as good, if not better, to pull off a successful run with a build that just a few weeks ago would have annoyed me into a reset.

I'm just going to keep saying it: this loving game.

My favorite runs are absolutely the ones where you scrounge around for every last puzzle piece and then you stick them all together and it turns out <item you almost never use> + <item nobody likes for dubious reasons> + <middle of the road item that isn't a huge power spike by itself> turns you into a god.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The main point of Bible in the shop (after you've grown beyond needing it, as discussed) is that it's 1/3 Bookworm and 1/3 Seraphim via a non-Library, non-Angel Room item pool. Plus every floor tends to have at least one "boy I sure wish I had flying right now" room. It's not a slam pick if you only have 15c and you're probably not leaving the floor with it, but if it shows up on sale or you've got Steam Sale or the Coupon or w/e then touching it can pay off down the road.

Renaissance Robot posted:

Does the skull hat (or whatever it's called) also make it you immune to various exploding tears like ipecac and fire mind, or just bombs and exploding enemies?

Not only all of those but also stomp attacks from Mom and Satan are considered explosions.

The only explosive effect it won't protect against is mushrooms.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Another great way to play out sacrifice rooms is via bone hearts but uh....actually getting those unlocked is a whole fuckin' process. :sweatdrop:

Also a general pro-tip that's may or may not be too obvious but I figure I'd mention it just in case: If you're struggling with the back half of the game, including Mega Satan, definitely start learning how to drain out your red health ahead of time so you can always proc the Polaroid on taking damage. The Negative too, I guess, but that's generally less useful.

Probably also goes without saying but if you're trying to knock out Mega Satan, do it via the Chest so you have the Polaroid. It's a long enough fight that it won't totally pull your rear end out of the fire, but it's an edge you can generally guarantee having on your side.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

SiKboy posted:

This thread being active again has actually got me back into playing Issac. 1000000% is the last achievement I have outstanding (on the PS4). I've two challenges left, Ultra Hard and Backasswards, and, while I've beaten Delirium with all characters, it looks like some of them havent done it on Hard difficulty. Kind of want to get that knocked off before the final expansion comes out and adds a bunch of stuff you also need to do/unlock/see to get the achievment. So a couple of questions for people who have actually completely done everything;

1) Do I need to beat delirium on Hard with those characters who have only beat him on normal? As far as I know beating him on Hard doesnt unlock anything else once you have done it with one character, so I'm assuming not but best to check.

2) Backasswards. loving Backasswards. This is what I was beating my head off when I quit playing before. Does anyone have any hints to make this less painful, or is it "Just keep trying until it hands you a combination of items which can beat Mega Stanley"? I'm kind of out of practice with fighting MS as I've been off the game for a while, and backasswards gives you 8-10 random items so you are significantly less powerful than I'd normally be fighting the bastard. If I keep it up long enough I'll eventually get a pyromaniac/exploding shots combination that would trivialise him, but its pure RNG.

3) Ultra Hard seems to be a bit of a bastard as well. I glanced at the wiki and saw "no hearts drop" and thought it'd be a challenge, I didnt realise that means anything that would normally drop hearts drops nothing instead, until I used my only bomb on a fake rock which dropped... gently caress all. I dont have a question here, more just a complaint.

1) You do. Every character has an associated co-op baby which unlocks from getting every completion mark, which naturally count towards 1000000%.

2) Sadly it pretty much is just down to resetting until you get something not poo poo. And it can take a hell of a while since you'll be rolling into utility items like Steam Sale or garbage items that hurt more than they help.

3) A key thing to remember, for what it's worth given the RNG-ness of it anyway, is that Ultra Hard removes health drops but does not remove health gains. The Nail, Satanic Bible, Book of Rev., and/or Balls of Steel pills all grant you soul hearts rather than drop them, so you can still use those to keep yourself afloat. Meanwhile Hierophant cards do nothing whatsoever.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Also, a topic for discussion: Is there a worse (passive) item in the game than Explosivo? I feel like it has zero redeeming qualities or interesting synergies. In fact, it has a number of pretty bad anti-synergies. And Fire Mind is basically a superior version of it, and most people don't even like Fire Mind much to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

PostNouveau posted:

I like Explosivo a lot more than Fire Mind because the explosions are predictable.

Honestly despite Fire Mind being "invisible" vs. the sticky bomb tears, I find it way more controllable due to its instantaneousness. If I'm in a position where it blowing up would be bad, then I can generally just stop firing and reposition. The DoT effect also helps compensate for that and in general is an immediate DPS improvement. The explosion effect also scales with luck so I can elect to reduce its proc rate by avoiding luck ups (granted, this doesn't feel good, but it is a choice I can make).

Meanwhile Explosivo's proc doesn't scale in any way outside of damage and the lack of impact damage on the sticky tears means it's often doubly dangerous because instead of killing the enemy I'm shooting at I'm turning it into a walking bomb. Sure, it will die however many seconds from now, but that's backloading my damage by a hell of a lot considering how many enemies A) doggedly chase after you and B) need to die ASAP because they'll gently caress you up left unchecked. Against enemies that can shake off sticky tears it's an outright DPS down. The tears also can get too big and start obscuring stuff, which sucks no matter how you slice it.

Wildtortilla posted:

I've had one successful run which I attribute my victory solely to Explosivo. I got next to no damage ups, suffered a few damage downs, but had a very high rate of fire. Only enemies that could disappear or duck underground gave me problems. Without the 60 damage explosion I wouldn't have done enough damage to get through any of the later parts of the run.

That's entirely fair, but I feel like there's other items that would do the same thing without being as unwieldy or unpredictable. Dr. or Epic Fetus can turn things around the same way, Blood Clot and Chemical Peel can add raw, non-adjusted tear damage, Knife is a bit of a drag with low damage but is still probably better overall than tears at that point, etc.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jul 21, 2020