Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I found x-ray vision and walked into a secret room that bordered some room that had two locks on the door. The floor of the room was a giant D6 on the number 3 and it re-rolled every heart/pill/etc on the floor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

God drat those reroll everything rooms are amazing. I went from a mediocre "hide while lil haunter does all the work" to this just by walking in:

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

First Eden try, got transcendence and some use item that makes me flash colors but didn't seem to do anything else. Transcendence was enough to carry me through a lot because flying is OP.

Ended up wrecking the heart with high damage fear tears

Also I had an easy time with the solar system challenge, I found a book of shadows.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

For some reason I've fought Ultra Pride three times so far, but have yet to see normal or super pride.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Monstro's lung + Cricket's body + Proptosis + Death's touch + a few damage ups = a room-covering explosion with a short charge time.

I would walk into a room, fire, and it looked like my screen covered in static, and when it cleared everything was dead and items were on the ground. Killed Isaac and ??? in 3 shots each.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I stepped on a dice room and it rerolled me to, get this:

Doctor Fetus
My Reflection
Tiny Planet

Plus something that made the bombs spectral so they would pass through rocks, but not enemies.

I would fire and a bomb would whip around me about one and a half times, then settle down and explode. It was literally impossible to guide them in any way short of "hope part of the circle ends on an enemy" but 90% of the time the bomb would take too long to go off and the enemy would walk away.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

You also had an X-marked rock right next to where you're standing in that shot, mom's toenail could have busted that open and maybe given you a soul heart to get through.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Nastyman posted:

CaH is really good. You've got a fairly good chance of getting a petrified poop from it, use that to clear the remaining poop and you'll be rolling in hearts and money. Best used in a quadruple room with lots of open floor space. Might take a while to clear all the poo depending on your loadout but usually very much worth it. Also the poop will shield you from most enemy projectiles in a pinch, with the drawback of limiting your mobility for a while. I'm pretty sure the poops can also spit out eternal hearts, and possibly soul hearts as well.

Protip: don't use a Card Against Humanity when the enemies are flying. They very much don't care and you just box yourself in. Unless you're flying, in which case go hog wild I guess.

Also I used one in a 2x2 room once that had greed heads in it, and for some reason when all the poop spawned, it shoved the greed heads INTO MY SQUARE from across the room. Ended the run, since I was hoping to use the card to box them in because I was lower on health.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

150~ attempts at the Lost and I've yet to go into a curse room and come out with the dead cat. Most of the time it's spiders or a chest surrounded by fire, and occasionally I'll get both the paw and head, but no 9 lives. Holy mantle is nowhere to be found.

My best run so far was with Bob's Brain and the friendly bomb fly, but I still died in caves 2.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Milt Thompson posted:

What I enjoy most about BoI is seeing just how ridiculous your tears can get.

For example:

Protopsis, Death's Touch and Spoon Bender? Why, thank you!

That's a mixture of Death's Touch, Eve's Mascara, Protopsis and the delightful orange colouration of The Parasite, plus a host of other damage-ups. Lovely. Note also Undefined, allowing three romps through The Chest.

Death's Touch, Spirit of the Night and Tiny Planet. Then, in the Cathedral, I happened to find Money = Power.

But the game decided that this wasn't enough! It wanted my tears to have a kind of stubborn persistence, so in The Chest it gave me Rubber Cement.

I think some of those tears lasted longer than ???, anyway.

Nighthand posted:

Monstro's lung + Cricket's body + Proptosis + Death's touch + a few damage ups = a room-covering explosion with a short charge time.

I would walk into a room, fire, and it looked like my screen covered in static, and when it cleared everything was dead and items were on the ground. Killed Isaac and ??? in 3 shots each.

Scythes are fun.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

The scissors works kind of like the guillotine, only you're not moving both parts. Your head sits in place and you run around controlling the body.

I've managed to get Body, Mind and Soul, all in my item list without finding a single one. D100 and the Missingno or whichever rerolls your items.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Most everything comes from just playing more. You unlock more end bosses and later floors by beating the bosses more, and you unlock characters through various gameplay methods. Just beat Mom more, then start beating the boss after that, then start beating the bosses after that, etc etc.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

YF-23 posted:

The Lost is fine as he is.

No but for all intents and purposes yes; not being hit means you have something like a 90% chance to get a devil/angel room.

While true, doesn't it reset or diminish after you get the devil room? Whereas the goat head guarantees one on every floor one can spawn.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Got monster manual on floor 2 as isaac; proceeded to not get a reroll setup for the entire rest of the game.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Aaand I had everything I needed for an infinite reroll setup in the chest to get the monster manuel... except I had picked up mom's knife so I couldn't turn my tears into bombs to restore my health. I did get the 99 bombs and the +10 bombs while rerolling, plus the 35 I already had, and nothing.

One day, Isaac. One day, I'll... give up and steam cheevo manager the achievements so I don't have to do this any more.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Finally managed the infinite reroll with sharp plug, wager, epic fetus and pyromaniac. Got the monster manual in the chest, rerolled for half an hour, and got the little assholes. Now all I need is Godhead, which I must have missed on a floor I didn't get a god room or something, because I rerolled everything into breakfast and didn't see it.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Logan 5 posted:

Actually iirc this isn't exactly true, Godhead doesn't work like Fate. Its something to do with the fuckery with special items, but you can keep rerolling past Breakfasts in the God room and can still get God Room items if you haven't seen them before. Its just a huge pain in the rear end and takes forever as the chances that you'll keep getting breakfast instead of godhead are high.

Got a wafer and sharp plug on an Isaac run and rerolled into it after about eight attempts.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I actually had super bandage counted on my item page before I had gotten bandage girl. D4/D100 rerolls did it, one or the other, I have no idea which. Either way, getting a bunch of items and using one of those dice to roll them into other items repeatedly is a good way to cycle through a lot of the more "common" items to get them on your item page. Only one I didn't get was Godhead, and I got that with lucky D6 rerolls as mentioned previously.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

BJPaskoff posted:

CobaltStreak probably has 1800ish. I'm just estimating based on six hours a day. Northernlion has 620ish episodes at 30-60 minutes each, plus three hours a week in his online shows, plus he mentioned playing it on Vita a lot just for fun.

And I have 500ish hours and haven't made a dime off of playing it.

NorthernLion's steam page is set to private, so I couldn't tell you about him. CobaltStreak's says he has about 1,200 hours played. (https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197994998171) He does, however, have 3,212 hours played in the original on top of the 1,217 played in Rebirth.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

All I need to do is get a couple Lazarus wins on hard to have all the hard mode clears before Afterbirth, so I was playing him last night. I got tech in basement 1 and it kind of sucked but then in basement 2 I got ludovico, which made it good. A couple damage ups along the way -- jesus juice, odd mushroom -- and it pretty much carried me through the boss rush and the chest. It's not ludobrim, but it'll do.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Mom's Knife plus Death's Touch should turn the knife into a scythe that you swing in an arc in front of you rather than throw.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

That looks vaguely interesting but also kind of bland for how much it was hyped and hinted.

Can't wait to have to reach wave 100 with the Lost!

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

With all the new item synergies I'd be interested to see homing + tech/brim + dunce cap. You'd have two lasers that home in and could home in on different groups of enemies for maximum room clearage.

Or Ed will program in a bunch of new brim synergies for old items but forget to do it for new items.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

graynull posted:

Looks like I'll be playing it for exactly 12 days, then probably not for at least 6 months as Fallout 4 comes out November 10th.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I streamed some today and recorded a bonkers lilith run with missingno, what's a simple way to trim down a flv to upload?

Also, the burning basement + curse of darkness makes it almost impossible to see anything at all. The darkness filter and the smoke filter layer on top of each other and it's awful.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Power of Pecota posted:

Does anyone know what the Game Breaking Bug item does?

It's a familiar like peep's eye that bounces around the room and does damage to things it passes through. It also applied fear, though I don't know if that's native or if it was coming from something else I had at the time.

Ashsaber posted:

So, new Angel Room thing: two locked blue/white chests that act like gold chests, but respawn a few seconds after opening several times or until you get a gold chest item. I don't know the limit, or anything else, only seen it once so far.

I found one and was able to use it five times before it didn't close itself again.

I was also doing really well with the Guardian challenge earlier today, but then the punching bag guy walked onto a set of spike and I instantly took 4 hearts of damage and died. Full health to dead instantly.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Managed to beat the brains challenge on my first try, but then, I kinda like bob's brain in the first place. It doesn't have a random glitch delay like some people complain about, it just has a bit of delay on entering a room and upon spawn so you don't hit yourself if you pay attention.

Of course I didn't beat it alone. Early on getting bff helped. Then I almost died in the cathedral. Then Cambrian conception triggered and I got Lilith's familiar, allowing me to shoot. Turns out I had a lot of damage.

Then the chest gave me the soul, and the host hat, which I read makes you immune to explosions, but I don't think I got hit again to test it.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

A while before the expansion I got an infinite loop with Monster Manuel to get my meat boy and bandage girl achievements. I actually got the full bandage girl organically yesterday, but of course I did it on the Speed challenge, where I got book of rev floor 1. This still didn't save me though, because I only got one damage up all the way to the womb, and that was the lucky rock. The time limit damage ended up killing me because I couldn't clear rooms fast enough.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Speed is such an obnoxious challenge. I can't get to Womb 2 before the time limit no matter what I do, and the health drain kills me before I can find the boss room. I even loving skipped two full floors with Undefined on a run and couldn't get there fast enough.

I feel like you either need a super carry item or combo (really lucky guppy, brim, etc) or several damage ups + mapping. Mapping is super important for speed but every freaking run I've done, if I get mapping (the mind, crystal ball, etc) I don't get poo poo for damage.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Wugga posted:

Is anyone else having trouble deciding whether to go for overall score or the time rank in the daily challenges? My rank is absolutely abysmal whenever I try to accumulate my score and I seem to have way more success with just speed running. Do people with a high score spend hours farming for items or what's the deal?

I was pretty stoked about the dailies before, but now I'm not so sure. I have more fun trying to beat them quickly, but thanks to the RNG nature of the game your run is determined by the wrong/right paths you take.

The dailies are seeded and you can do practice runs. You could, if you want to be insane about it, take your time to explore every room thoroughly, write it all down, map out the most valuable path, and do your optimized run on the actual daily.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I finally managed to beat speed with cricket's head on floor 1 and scythes on a floor 3 devil deal. Some other damage ups and some lucky heart drops helped. I STILL almost died in the womb, but for once not to the timer damage. Just to my own impatience.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Alteisen posted:

Why is tiny room Krampus a thing, why is tiny room ANY boss a thing. I used to think people where just being silly with calling afterbirth the no fun allowed update but there's so much dumb stuff added that makes the game harder in the worst ways.
https://twitter.com/Madithen/status/800415183701213184

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Bethany synergizes surprisingly well with Isaac's Heart, which I picked up due to curse of the blind. The flames do a good job of helping shield you from random bullshit damage.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

AnonSpore posted:

If I wanted to uninstall Antibirth how would I go about doing that?

Edit: remove the files in the boi resources folder

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Game crashed on basement 1 on the challenge with Jacob and Esau, and when I hit continue to try to start over it spawns me with just Jacob, but crashes every time I leave the first room. Oh well.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Pretty much all of the Antibirth content is excellent barring crashing bugs, a couple of stupid items (looking at you Damocles) and their propensity to make pseudo-gently caress closet rooms with almost guaranteed damage.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Good thing I had flight from three different sources throughout the run, huh

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Blood clot at least is fairly common in the white item room in greed mode, you can reset and grab it a bunch fairly easily. Still dumb though.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I have absolutely no idea how I'm going to get Delirium kills with Keeper and Lost. I failed on the boss fight three times in a row with varying Maggy builds before I managed it. I've only done her, Cain, Isaac, and Apollyon so far.

The drat thing just has too many moves where it teleports on top of you or leaps from off screen or some other bullshit, just ugh. Not looking forward to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Got my Keeper Greedier win tonight. Tech X on the first floor, but I was 100% sure I was going to fail right up until the very last handful of coins in the very last shop, I used my last bomb to bomb and break the reroll machine and it popped up pyromaniac.

Unrelated, but I think the achievement/secret for getting a bunch of battery-themed items in one run is broken for me, I already have the unlock item available and I got three or four of the items in one run tonight and it didn't pop. Might have to hax that one in or something, we'll see.