Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

gently caress Adversary. Had a Cain soy milk run that was going surprisingly well. Piles of damage boosts, fear shot, broken watch, guppy's tail, &c. I get to the dark room and the tail gives me chests on almost every room. So now I have long-range, quad-shot, rapid-fire, fear-inducing, tiny scythes of death ripping through everything. The last room before the boss is a 2x2 room with four Adversaries. I died just as the last one did. I could see the chest spawning in on my death screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Woo! Top score in the daily challenge! Terrible speed rank, though.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Einwand posted:

Well just cleared the daily, currently sitting at 61th with 18431 points, and wondering how in the hell someone got almost 33k points for first place.

Well I was the one at the top of the leaderboard when you said that. I took my time and was super thorough with getting all the consumables and exploring all the rooms I could. I also ended up getting a blank card and the rune of passage (forget the exact name), so I was able to get to Satan.

No clue how the current leader got almost twice my score, though.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Rorus Raz posted:

Even with Blank Card and a Vision rune, the XXXXXXXXXXXL challenge took me like 45 minutes.

I had a blank card, dice shard, and Jera rune.

Step 1: fill room 1 with batteries.
Step 2: reroll a room with a single drop until it's a key, then dupe until you have 99, and leave one key.
Step 3: reroll the key into a gold chest and dupe once.
Step 4: if one of the chests has a pedestal item, you can dupe the gently caress out of the other one and clean out the item pool.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Trip Report: fixed Dr. Fetus is awesome; Greed Mode is still hilarious with Blank Card + 2 of Diamonds (+ all the battery items).

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Had a greed run with Ludo/Strange Attractor, and Ultra Greed wound up stuck in walking mode, never attacking and unable to get out of the tear while I just stood in the opposite corner (wanted the tear as far away as possible b/c Lump of Coal).

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Azazel + Brimstone + Mutant Spider + Technology + Spoon Bender was fun while it lasted (through Hush and The Chest, but not very long).

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Just got to Greed with 65 coins. machine spawned inside the statue. gently caress you too, game.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Or is it Sputnik posted:

Have you tested this? I received zero babies from CC over greed mode and a full chest clear despite judicious use of blood donation machines, curse doors. After clearing chest, I received a LOT more babies.

The item appears in her inventory when you start a game. It looks like a cross between a lung and a fetus. If you have the extra HUD elements on, it's bright red. Anyways, you can hardly say that she doesn't start with Incubus or Box of Friends, but those are also unlocks.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Those are all weird nicknames for The Stain. I can dodge the slow-fast tear attack most of the time (if there's just one boss), but whenever he goes underground for an extended period, I end up getting hit when he emerges.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Got a greed run with d20 and epic monstro glitter bombs. Never got pyromaniac, but I did have the wafer, so I could just facetank the millions of explosions going on around me and be pretty much guaranteed to heal up instantly. Good thing, too, because it's hard to dodge things with guillotine.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

LibbyM posted:

(and lost since the game refuses to give me a missing poster)

I unlocked Lost last week by having the Mysterious Paper and throwing 8/9 lives at a sacrifice room before I got the message saying that he was unlocked (didn't actually turn into The Lost, though).

This week I've had two great Lost runs end because I went for Hush without any orbitals. I still haven't gotten any marks apart from the heart with him. I should really just skip Blue Womb for now, even if I beat It Lives in time.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Really wish the game wouldn't give me curse of the blind on the chest. It seems to happen every time I get a really broken run going. Sure, ??? was easy enough (d7 plus 9v in a large room; use your imagination; soy milk wasn't enough to stop me), but I would have liked to have been able to get dad's key without having to worry about getting missingno or marked or something.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Zark the Damned posted:

I find the Blank Card to be the easiest way to break Greed Mode as it works with both the 2 of Diamonds and the Jera rune :)

Don't forget Cracked Dice. Blank Card is an always-pick for greed mode, as it pretty much always breaks my run.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

A small warning. It may be obvious, but the sacrifice room will still teleport you to the dark room even if you don't pick up the key pieces. In other news, thanks to Ipecac and Swallowed Penny, I beat The Lamb with Keeper before Satan. First floor Flight Eternal also helped.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Got Mega Satan and Hush down with Lost today. It would be embarrassing if I didn't, though, since I had Brimstone, 9 Lives, Stopwatch, Host Hat, and all kinds of stat ups. I would have beaten Boss Rush, too, but I got careless and ended up losing a life to it. At this point, all I have left is Boss Rush and possibly Satan (Not Mega Satan. I beat The Lamb on a Swallowed Penny Sacrifice Room run) with Keeper, and just about everything on Hard. I'm not sure I want to bother with Hard mode, though. That's about where it goes from challenging to frustrating for me, and I'd have to do EVERYTHING to unlock anything else at that point.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Gromit posted:

My last Eden run started with that thing that randomises all your items at the start of each floor. Had some narrow scrapes but killed Isaac with a lucky RNG. Then I start on ??? and get multiple Dr Fetus bombs that boomerang back to me and no explosion immunity. Well played, BoI.
Just managed to win by running towards my targets to throw the bombs as far as possible and then run away so they couldn't get back to me. Didn't work all the time, and tough to hit enemies that home in.

Seems like every time I get that item I end up with a floor where I have boomerang Ipecac. One time I even had...The Mark? The one that gives you a targeting crosshair. I could not stop firing explosives at myself. Made it to the next floor, though, and by that point I had all the transformations at once.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

In Antibirth, do you unlock The Lost the same way you do in Afterbirth and beyond? I think the answer is no, but I just got the missing poster and a sac room in the same level on a fantastic run, that could go as far as Mega Satan, and I want to know if I have that option or I should just keep going.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Meanwhile in Antibirth land, if you get the chance to take Eye of the Occult with Ludovico, take it! It's not obvious what it would do, but what happens is that your directed tear starts spitting out more also-directed tears in random directions whenever you move it. I had that with shielded tears and death's scythe and would have easily gotten my Eden Witness mark if I hadn't forgotten to grab the knife piece in the mines :doh:.

Just have Eden, Lazarus, and Eve to unlock Mega Mush. Protip: save a key and skip your second item room to increase your chance at a planetarium from 1% to 21% per floor. I find that planet or zodiac items can greatly improve your survivability on a run. Except Mars, but even that would be great if I could get it to work consistently (probably perfect with dpad or keyboard).

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

Weird, when I had ludo + occult, it just kept resetting the position of the ludo tear to Isaac's location.

I just finished a run with that combo, and it cut through Mega Satan like a hot knife through butter. I don't know why it didn't work for you. Some other item in the combo maybe? I remember there was a bug that got fixed in an afterbirth patch that caused the tear to reset like that.

Edit: Maybe order matters? I got ludo first, then occult.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Unlocked Mega Mush and Godhead yesterday and today! Now I just have a few unlocks for Jacob and Esau and a bunch of hard mode marks (I got most of my unlocks in Afterbirth and ported them over with alt+f2, which doesn't add post-it marks). My Lost boss rush run was insane with first floor goat head and tech .5 and second floor magic skin. Nothing outright broken (except guppy), but stats through the roof.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

AbstractNapper posted:

Today's daily is Cain to Mega Satan. It seems to be a special one, because he starts with insane luck stat. (I think 12 or something).
I skipped the first deal with the devil, and by Caves 2 I got Mega Blast in the deal with the devil. There is also a five room on the floor.

I don't have to do the dailies anymore, so I died soon after, but this looks like it could be a fun one.

By the time I got to Mega Satan, I had Brimstone, Epic Fetus, Marked, and Monstro's Lung. I just parked the spinning crosshairs on MS's face and let hundreds of brimstone lasers melt everything. I forgot to activate my two charges of box of friends with Incubus, ???'s head, and Mutant Baby, and it didn't even matter. Fun run.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Stelas posted:

Playing as Bethany seems kind of profoundly unfun, especially once you hit lategame. Isaac alone is enough to pretty much wipe out your flames just by existing.

I disagree. Often by then I have an immortal heart or two keeping my flames topped off, and I've switched to another space bar item that works well with her gimmick. Also, she gets angel rooms easily, and there are some powerful angel room items in Antibirth.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Kind of embarrassing how long it took, but I finally got Real Platinum God on Afterbirth. Putting together Bandage Girl turned out to be as simple as getting one ball of bandages as Lilith and finding two small batteries in one room, then a few Issac runs where I focused on maximizing d6 uses in specific rooms got me Mega Blast, Godhead, and Super Bandage to complete my list (I lucked into Super Bum on the Mega Blast run, too). Now to wait for that Antibirth patch that's coming out "at the end of this week (2/1/2017)".

Was there another save file 'tier' after RPG? What are the requirements for that one? My save file is glitched (since the Afterbirth release), so I don't actually know who I've gotten hard mode marks for what.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Dr. Mantis Toboggan posted:

Yep, for Afterbirth there is 1001% which is unlock every secret, unlock every ending, and collect every item from Rebirth and Afterbirth, then for Afterbirth+ there is 1000000% which is the same thing as 1001% plus all of the Afterbirth+ secrets, endings, and items.

I think all I have left for 1001% is Keeper Boss Rush. Keeper! :argh:

Wait, the all hard mode mark babies count as secrets, don't they. Freakin' glitched post-its. Forget it then.

Qylvaran fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Mar 28, 2017

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Orange Harrison posted:

Huh, that must have been patched in. Using Lilith's item on upgradeable buddies used to produce a useless lv1 duplicate instead.

If that's true, it was patched in a long time ago.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

grand theft grotto posted:

Somehow I got a setup by the end of the first two floors that was firing 6x Tech X rings but then I picked up something that turned out to be Experimental Treatment, lost one of my health and didn't have it in me to no damage the entire rest of the run.

I ended up exactly the same way, although I had 6x homing explosivo nails (and sometimes 12x from bookworm). Experimental Treatment with Curse of the Blind is the worst.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Well, I can hardly believe I did it, but I'll never have to play as Keeper again. I'm not ashamed to admit I exploited the victory lap glitch to do it (restart the game after starting VL to reactivate achievements), but now I have every single hard mode mark on him. Greedier, Delirium, the works.

For whatever reason, he's only the third character I've done this with, after Apollyon and Isaac. Now all that's left is filling out the rest, beating the Ultra Hard challenge, and playing 31 dailies in AB+. I need to stop.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

I just threw away a fantastic blue baby run with the void. I had just picked up mama mega in the shop before fighting mom. I saw that it had opened up the boss rush even though I was super late, which was great because hard mode boss rush and mega Satan are all I have left on his post it. I went to get the second key piece first, but the boss rush door was closed when I came back. I tried to see if activating mama mega again would open it back up.

It didn't, and I swallowed both photos. Run is now useless.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Picked up this game again after a long time away, and I've gotten it down to hardmode Boss Rush, Hush, and Delirium on Samson for full post-its on everyone. If the booster packs included some challenges, I might need to do those, too. I have to admit that I took advantage of when you could make victory laps count by quitting and resuming to get at least a few of the Keeper's marks, but most of the others (including the Lost) were legit.

From an Eden run: Fruitcake + Money is Power is crazy. Quite a few of the random tears result in extra gold or blowing up pots and stuff. I had both items from the first floor, and the run was a cakewalk (so to speak).

On the other hand: Don't take Libra if you have Brimstone. Just the worst.

ETA: Beat it! Got Boss Rush and Hush on the same run! The run before that was too slow, but I got a portal at the cathedral. Now all I have left is the Ultra Hard challenge, which is extremely not fun. I think I'm done with the game for another while.

Qylvaran fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Oct 1, 2019

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

When you reach the chest with the key it will automatically unlock the door. You don't have to walk through it until you've done whatever else you want to on the floor. If you want to beat the other boss first, just make sure you don't touch the big chest and end the run. Mega Stan, on the other hand, will end the run immediately when he goes down.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

I think I was lucky and took care of Bassackwards one-and-done. I just came back to the game to try and finish off Ultra-Hard, though (my last challenge), and that mode is torture. You can't set up a breaking run when every item pickup is rolling the dice, and even good (read: satanic bible) runs take forever to clear floors with lack of mapping and random teleports. I've gotten as far as satan once or twice, but there's always something to trip me up.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Finally beat Ultra Hard! Forget me not in the first floor, then dataminer, which nearly made me restart after trading speed, power, and firing rate for shot speed. Shortly after that I picked up d100, though, and that turned things around several times over. One use got me dead cat and fairly strong, fast, screen wrapping tears. The next was mostly a downgrade, but got me some health. By mega Stan, I had triple ipecac epic fetus and a full set of assorted hearts.

Now I can either play regular runs until I spot the last few items, or just consider myself done with the game.

I also would not have come back to the game without all the newbie chatter in the thread, so thanks!

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Wildtortilla posted:

Mega Satan's bullet hell is a joke having come into Isaac after spending 40 hours or so with Enter the Gungeon.

Agreed. The colorful flames look impressive, but the gaps in the pattern are a mile wide. Much more can go wrong in the first half.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

I've never played the Antibirth mod. I hope the characters in it that are getting added to the real game are more along the lines of Forgotten with interesting play styles rather than just cranked up difficulty like Keeper.

The ones I remember really change up the playstyle, and Forgotten actually copies parts of their concepts. I forget the name (Jacob and Esau, maybe?), but the twin characters introduced the idea of using R2 to swap control to a second character. They're both in play at once though, and considerably harder to control.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

SiKboy posted:

Someone in this thread said way back when, that Ed has said his biggest regret with Isaac is the linear nature of the choices; Is this item good for my current run y/n? So in any hypothetical BoI 2 I'd expect theres options/more options to be more or less the default. Being presented with two options every time means you actually make a meaningful choice (especially if one is okay and the other is strong but with a real drawback for example, or even "what do you need more, survivability or damage") instead of the current normal of "pick up the item unless its actively detrimental to your run". For the record, I'd be all for that, its would feel more like you actually built your broken run more often rather than "oh, the game just handed me this one". I'd like more choices in general, maybe "Do you want to go to the regular version of the next floor, or the champion variant?" could be fun.

Note that Antibirth had both of these kinds of choices (more choose your item rooms and alternate level paths), and was much more fun to play for it.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Favorite Bethany active so far was Coupon. The orbitals shot triple tears, like keeper. Plus Coupon is a powerful item in general, since it has a tendency to power itself up as you get more shop items, such as car battery and BFF. I heard it works on devil deals too, but I ended up with mostly angel rooms that run.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Super No Vacancy posted:

oh id have to drop the chaos card for fool oh well

Drop the chaos card in the room with the door. It'll still be there on the way back.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Antibirth was great. J&E were and are challenging in an interesting way. Bethany was always great. The powerful new items helped take the edge off of the more difficult parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Tainted Lilith has to have more going on than the wiki or platinumgod claim. First off, I'm pretty sure I had the Hive Mind effect (which was doing great work with Apple of Sodom). Also, I was getting a lot of familiar-related items, over multiple runs. Finally, and I'm not sure if this was Tainted Lilith or just an item update, but Monster Manual familiars were lasting the entire floor.