Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

Even with Psy Fly I fail to kill Mother. I don't know what I'm messing up. Her pattern isn't that hard!!

A lot of it is just getting used to hard fights not having a safety buffer. Poloroid was real good and most of my Afterbirth-era runs ended with no red health because never not devil deals. The biggest issue with Mother when a run goes bad is not that I get hit once, it's I get hit like three times because once it turns out you're NOT safe where you thought you were safe, it's often too late to figure out where 'safe' is without eating a lot more poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

I think you're right. As soon as I mess up, I just get burned down. It's kind of an all-or-nothing fight.

I'm also having a helluva time getting extra HP for the fight. Most of the time I have 3-4 red hearts and maybe a couple blues.

Is there a character that's best set up for it? I've mostly used Cain for the key you start off with.

I've had a few good runs, but the one that got through with the least is probably Samson. Having built-in damage and building for durability when possible seems to go a long way for Mother. He didn't get anything fancy, just a few extra red hearts through Blood Machines and Boss Rooms (one of which got traded in for Ceremonial Robe on the next to last floor), a full set of orbitals through slot machines and a Cube of Meat, and hanging onto a Sun found on Ashpit 2 until the Mother fight, even though I only had like five red hearts to work with.

e: Also, I think people are underestimating a lot of the new Devil Deals? Like, they're not a windmill slam you should check every deal every run because it's the only consistent source of Damage Up anymore, but I see a lot of people making GBS threads on the Quarter in the Devil Room, and there's already been a number of times where I'd walk out of a store or arcade wishing I had enough money to do a thing to save or secure my run, seen the quarter at the end of the floor, and gone 'yep, that's worth a heart, easy' and gotten my run locked in.

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Apr 13, 2021

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Strange Attractor is only useful paired with a giant stockpile of bombs, where in a pinch they can help out a run where your damage is bad but you got like a bomb upgrade and matchstick, since pulling enemies and bombs both to where the tears land is good.

Also, Strange Attractor now only pulling stuff to where the tears hit and not the tears themselves is a godsend. In the past it was only good with alternate tears like the Knife or Tech X, albut in those cases it WAS usually pretty nice. I'm... not sure those interactions exist or if they basically just magnetize enemies now, since I haven't seen them much and not with a run where I've had changed tears.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Ok, 4.5 Volt on Lilith might just be the most 'one item makes the run' item for either the Mother or Beast path. I had an ok run going, nothing fancy- just an Succubus from farming out Cambion and a Gemini from an item room on top of a grab-bag of random upgrades... then saw the 4.5 volt in the Dank Depths II shop.

The Beast died horribly to a screen filled with following and bouncing demon babies with a small LEGION of flailing babies still tethered to mama. He barely made it long enough to start his second wave of stomping.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Hot Diggity! posted:

Yeah I spend far too much time reading what items do on the wiki. Even then it can be kinda hard to figure out what the names are to locate stuff to figure out items.

If you're using Platinum God, just tap in a one-word description of the item. Plugging in, say, 'glass' will land you the X-Ray Specs, Issac's Tears, Soy Milk, etc. Orb will get you Leprosy, Tiny Planet, Ball of Bandages, and so forth. Horn will pull up the Brimstone Bombs, Taurus and Aries, Loki's Horns, Goat Head, yadda yadda. Probably the only description that doesn't work terribly well is 'Heart', since that lands you on every HP up, Soul Heart, Black Heart, and heart-shaped item and that's probably well over 150.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Super No Vacancy posted:

realized i havent gotten a guppy since the dlc

Guppy items being removed from Secret Rooms probably has something to do with it, especially if you're not checking Curse Rooms (where they feel more common then before- I feel like every third run I have either Guppy's Collar or Head by the end of Basement) or Devil Deals.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

ArfJason posted:

Ive gupped repeatedly and plan to keep doing it and i dont think any of you can stop me

Yeah, I've gotten Guppy multiple times once I 1) Started prioritizing Curse Rooms more since they feel a lot better in Repentance between their much better item pool, good rate of soul/black hearts, and not costing you Deals, and 2) Stopped being a goddamn baby and started checking and taking Devil Deals again since they're still real good, just not free wins as often as AB/AB+.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Willo567 posted:

So do you have to beat Hush 3 times while you have the Repentance DLC to unlock the alternate route, or can you have beaten Hush two times, buy the DLC, and then only have to beat him one more time?

Just need to have three characters with the Hush mark, I believe. IIRC, I got the notice for the alternate routes on boot-up of the expansion.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Vasler posted:

Who's the best character to use to try and unlock The Forgotten? I'm having a hell of a time not being stomped to bits carrying the shovel piece.

Ironically, the Lost is maybe one of the better characters for this. It makes the run a lot scarier, but it can take the foot stomping once a room for free so you're not at risk for getting whittled down over half a run.

Tainted Judas might be the new best at it though assuming your reflexes are good.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Yeah, you gotta just walk past the room. Which, I mean, Planetariums are nice but it hasn't really convinced me to change my playstyle much outside occasionally prioritizing shops over item rooms when I'm low on keys a little more. Some of the items you can find in there are game changers, but I"d struggle to say any of them are worth walking past 2-4 item rooms to have a crack at them outside Venus and maybe Pluto if you're going for specifically Hush or Mother.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Saigyouji posted:

???'s in a really weird place now, since Keeper actually being good, and Bethany B having the exact same gimmick as it, just better, means it has no real niche to speak of other than "Isaac but worse".

I mean, that was his original gimmick. That's what blue baby was built to be. Rebirth was where it got really weird because never having red health turned into a massive advantage the moment you weren't eating 3+ hearts of damage every floor so the only reason ??? wasn't a raw upgrade to Issac was the D6. Now with Soul/Black Hearts and shop restocks rarer and some of the things that used to look at just Red Hearts now looking at all hearts, he's much more of a sidegrade, trading reliable Devil/Angel deals for a greater chance of run failure through attrition and having a far weaker active item.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

No Wave posted:

sidegrade??? That's a real optimistic way of looking at it.

With a lot of infinite recharge stuff way harder to pull off I think the D6 is much weaker then it used to be (the D6 is really tame without ways to roll until you get a winner) and all not having red hearts is still more an advantage then a disadvantage the moment you get any kind of soul heart sustain, even mediocre ones like Mitre.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Does the transition to the Mother fight reset Bloody Lust?

Nope, still counts as one floor. Samson was my first Mother clear and remains the easiest I've had.

Samson's been legit one of the better characters for all of Rebirth, it's just been that he's been pretty much the one character that wants you to keep red health and for the rest of the game the Path to Power was Always Check Devil Deals, get to zero red hearts in Depths 2 for Polaroid unless going to literally just the Lamb, and get enough damage and temp health to facetank whatever endboss you're facing which isn't hard between long invuln periods and as many Devil Deals as you can fit in your mouth. Somewhere along the way you fish for some kind of infinite recharge abuse on a power active between arcades and restock shops to turn a pretty won run into a completely broken won run. Rebirth/AB/AB+ era Isaac was basically a solved game and Samson's place in it was weird.

Repentance disrupted that by making non-red health rarer, adding more items to the Devil Pool that aren't just damage increases (but are still really strong and run-changing), nerfing infinite recharge strategies, and changing how the Polaroid works. On the flip side, it's made pretty much every other option better- Curse Rooms are better, Angel Rooms are WAY better and not just something you're angry to see if you didn't take something in your first Devil Deal, I've seen the Black Market three times since the expansion dropped instead of three times period, Planetariums exist and are real good. Secret Rooms feel like they give a worthwhile item more often instead of just a Portable Slot or Bob's Head 90% of the time. Pills are better even if sometimes you still get meme'd on by your pool occasionally. I'll even use sacrifice rooms to fish for key pieces if there's enough health on the floor and not a blood machine to dump it into because key pieces increase Angel Room chances. After the last six years of Isaac basically becoming the same straight line to the end, that's all wild and I'm for it.

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Apr 25, 2021

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

No Wave posted:

Familiars seem really good now. Conjoined being so common is a huge boost, especially if you find a magician card for your tough fights.

Yeah. The kinda bad ones like Bobby, Maggie, and Mongo got buffed and the really bad ones like Abel.... well... they tried? I think the only familiar who got worse overall is Bumbo and that's more due to the fact he's harder to feed with recharge abuse strats being more difficult then before.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Color Printer posted:

Finally beat Hush 3 times. Ah, the mines entrance needs 2 bombs, you say. Cool cool cool. *holds R key*

It's surprisingly easy to consistsntly take the back path if you want it. I've only run into keys being an issue in time to hit Downpour 2 a couple of times and I can't remember a run where I didn't have two bombs to do Mines 1 that wasn't my fault burning bombs hunting for a secret room to do a thing instead. It's a resource tax, but especially because you basically run Downpour 2 twice if you need to thanks to the mirror you'd have to get really, really unlucky not to get two bombs by the time you need to.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
I just want to pop in to say that Gnawed Leaf + Guppy's Hairball is the most hilarious way to murder the Beast. Everything whipping about like crazy during the inhale attack while he eats massive damage. I knew it was a free run since I also had Brown Nugget, but I didn't realize how everything was going to interact with the Beast fight. He just DIED.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Do tainted characters have unlocks? Just cleared Dark Room with Isaac and kinda 'oh' at getting nothing from my first tainted run.

Yes, but one of them is locked behind beating all four of the 'base' route bosses- Issac, ???, Satan, Lamb- with that character. Another is both Hush and the Boss Rush. And then the rest are the expected suspects- Greedier, Mother, Beast, Delirium, and Mega-Stan.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Yeah. There's still an argument that Maw is the best powerup in the Devil Pool after Mom's Knife (I'd personally nudge Spirit of the Night over it, but that's it) even in it's current state and is still almost as close to a won run as you get from a single item in Repentance. It just doesn't also chaffur you to the ending of your choice single-handedly with no effort. Which, I mean, something to be said for just leaving total game breakers in the game but Maw's only gone from 'absurd' to 'pretty great.'

You want to see a nerfed Devil Room item, pour one out for our homie Dark Bum. The's still a fine pickup in the right situation, especially if you have ways to take advantage of his bigger drop pool like one of the PhD's, but he no longer basically assures you 12 hearts for every boss fight in the game and there's plenty of times he's potentially problematic now that keeping red health is more common. I'll still take Maw every run without blinking. I abandon Dark Bum without some additional synergies or just zero use for red health.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
I really don't think forcing Planetarium is usually worth it. The items can be game changers, but there's some real turkeys in there too, especially if acquired late, and so I usually only use the existence of Planetariums to not feel bad if I need to skip the Basement 2/Downpour 1 or 2 item rooms due to key issues or I already have a solid build and a good active so may as well fish for it because a random item isn't likely to add much at that point.

Also, if you're doing the 'skipping devil deals to lock in Angel Rooms' thing, then you're almost certainly skipping too many power up opportunities also fishing for Planetariums unless you got a power item somewhere early, and I know a lot of folks are dodging Devil Deals right now so don't dodge item rooms too.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
I have just been dicked over twice in a row trying to unlock Tainted Apollyon by getting Telepills from an unidentified pill and getting dumped off into the I Am Error room post-Key Fragment while holding the Lucky Foot.

I was pretty sure the first time Telepills were already in my pool so I wasn't expecting it, but then I KNOW the second pool had already proc'd Telepills so apparently new Lucky Foot can do the same thing PhD does and have duplicate pills except now you'll never know it until you hit the button. What a way to learn.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

omeg posted:

Never take pills. :v:

Alternatively, just take Pills, because even without control items they're much better then they've been for the rest of Rebirth, and 90% of the time Lucky Foot makes pill taking a no-brainer (Hemo is still in the good pool so having lots of red health can still backfire.) I don't want to even calculate the odds I had to hit to get two separate runs with duplicate Telepills in the 'good pill only' pool which lead to the first instance of the second one taking you to the Error room on one of the final floors of the ascent in back-to-back runs.

But still got the Clear and the character unlock, if on different runs, so all good for now. 4.5 volt + a Void with Plum Flute, Guppy's Head, Mr. MEEEE, and Shoop Da Woop basically recharged itself.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
As much as folks complain about Delirium, I still hate Hush much, much more. If nothing else, you usually take Del after the Chest/Dark Room so you get one last chance to supercharge for it. Hush comes right after Mom's Heart and is a giant loving slog almost regardless of build- take you free fight for the first some 4000 HP with copious amounts of boss armor, then deal with the last 2000 while hoping that mechanics don't dance into an unavoidable mess. Glad to hear both are getting updates I might pause trying to force clears on the Tainteds until that update hits and just enjoy playing Isaac as it comes.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Too Many Birds posted:

can someone explain to me like you would to an idiot baby toddler how rock bottom works exactly

Your stat will always be the highest it's ever been since you've picked up Rock Bottom.

It still tracks your ACTUAL stats, but your highest value in memory will be applied. I believe flat changes will be ignored, like Small Rock's speed down, but MODIFIERS will remain tied to your ACTUAL (and only your ACTUAL, not active) stats.

So, like, if you grab a Soy Milk and tank your damage, Rock Bottom will remember your previous highest damage value and use it. But your ACTUAL damage value is run through Soy Milk's negative modifier, and to ever increase your damage you would still need to get your ACTUAL damage back above the value Rock Bottom remembers.

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 20:28 on May 8, 2021

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Kawalimus posted:

And with that Tainted Apollyon win I've now fully closed out the Alt Path! Never have to do Mines/Ashpit again! But Downpour II will still be seeing me for a long time :)

Regardless of his unfinished state, I do prefer Tainted Apollyon to normal Apollyon by quite a bit. Getting a nice swarm going can counter whatever other badness happens to you on a run and I do like that. Much more reliable than Void is at doing that.

Tainted Apollyon is probably what normal Apollyon was intended to be- a reliable, stable but not absurdly powerful character- but never got to because Void is just bad as a six-room recharge for a whole bunch of reasons. The only problem T.Apollyon has is that he's one of three characters in the game where legit every run will start to look the same, and unlike T.Cain you can't just blame yourself for that.

T.Apollyon and T.Forgotten seem cool but they're also just characters you pick when you know how you want your run to go regardless of item luck.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

pumpinglemma posted:

The big thing with Azazel in Repentance is that his damage got nerfed alongside brimstone, so he's not easy mode any more. On the untainted side, I'd say he's now somewhere between the obvious challenge characters like ??? and the weaker non-challenge characters like Maggie and Apollyon, purely because of how vicious the later floors and fights get when you have to get into melee range. I'm not touching Greedier any more than I have to, but I'd expect it to be a lot harder than it was in AB+.

Eh, Azazel still has flight, speed, and buckets of damage, all of which are really huge. Considering that Issac also ate some pretty serious nerfs (a lot of strategies abusing the d6 to get god runs got directly or indirectly poo poo on) he might just straight-up be the best of the normal characters now, although he's no longer a free roll into attempting superbosses like he was pre-Repentance. Bethany, Samson, and the fixed Cain give him some honest competition now.

That said, the Tainteds are all over the place and some of them (T.Cain, T.Bethany, T.Judas, and T.Maggie all come to mind) are probably the strongest characters BoI has ever seen, especially if you can get synergies with their innates.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
The normal version of Rag Man is fine. Most of his attacks are easy to dodge and his adds never get out of control. Orange Champion Rag Man is a loving sea of summoning garbage and he's spawned like the last five times I've pulled Rag Man as a boss and I wish he would stop.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Grapplejack posted:

me playing tainted cain, the first ten minutes: "yo what the gently caress this rules"
me playing tainted cain after that: "this is somehow incredibly dull"

T.Cain is interesting if you're just looking to gently caress around and mess with weird synergies you'd almost never see in normal play.

If you're just trying to win, T.Cain is all the worst parts of Issac in pre-Repentance when being played super tryhard taken to, like, fifteen.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
I'm fine with most of the Tainted characters being really extreme because we already have a lot of characters that do the 'play a basic game of Isaac except with X' in most of the normal characters. If I want to play a really standard game of Isaac I already have Isaac, Maggie, Cain, Judas, Eve, Samson, Azazel, ???, Lazarus, Apollyon, Bethany, as well as now T.Isaac, T.Apollyon, and kinda T.???. Most of the Tainteds being really different and striking gimmicks without all being straight-out challenge characters like Lost or Keeper is cool and even if they're not all hits I'm definitely welcome to the idea of characters who play a radically different game of Isaac at this point then 3/4ths of the normal characters even if it's not something I'd want to dump more then the occasional attempt into.

That said, it'll be even cooler once some of them get a second pass, like T.Laz and T.???, since it's pretty clear Repentance got shoved out the door like 75% done at best and the Tainteds were where a lot of the unfinished work shows.

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 17:09 on May 19, 2021

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Yeah, I dunno where the hate comes for Glass Cannon. Even without help it can hard carry you through poo poo and the second you get a mobility boost- especially flight- then it's just a free pass to the superboss of your choice.

I mean, it sucks in the superboss fights right now besides the Beast, but hopefully maybe someday we'll get the patches unbreaking Hush and Delerium.

Any day now.

Aaaaaaany day now.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Irony Be My Shield posted:

If an item lets you do easy stuff faster but is a huge liability for anything hard then I regard it as a bad item. I know it's been reworked but to me it's basically the same item as before - something I only use as The Lost. But as I said it's less bad than Shard of Glass or Damocles because you can at least hope you get a chance to swap away from it before the superbosses.

It's not a 'huge liability.' You take two extra damage once during the fight and it's only really bad in Hush/Delirium because they're bugged as gently caress and it's impossible to hang onto the glass cannon intact reliably because sometimes they just go 'lol' and slap you without chance to avoid it.

Meanwhile, it trivializes the rest of the run- turning challenging combat rooms into jokes and blowing up a vast majority of boss fights- and if your run is ending at any other terminus it's still likely to be your strongest item as long as have any ability to avoid hits. 'If you can dodge why do you need damage' is the a limp noodle defense because greatly cutting down the amount of time you have to dodge because you've got a massive fuckoff cannon means less time you might gently caress it up. Even with it's drawback I take way less damage over the course of a Glass Cannon run then I do if I had the same run without it because poo poo's dead before 'just dodge lol' starts to become an issue. I have lost runs to it- Glass Cannon still likes a health buffer to work with and any run that never gets past three hearts becomes massively sweaty as it keeps going- but I've won plenty of runs primarily off of it, which isn't something bad items can say. It's risky, and if you hate risk then sure, skip it, but it's also very, very strong at what it does.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
IIRC, didn't the devs just straight-out say at some point that future updates would involve finishing Tainted Lazarus, Apollyon, and Keeper since they're just kinda placeholders they didn't have time to finish working on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Relyssa posted:

Hush takes too long to die for plan c to work on it

Nah, it works, although with the caveat that IIRC some of it's animations block the death animation from starting until they finish, which CAN set up a scenario where you die before the death registers due to the delay.

Plan C is still an item I'm very hesitant to take without some form of extra lives though, for exactly this reason. Dumb finicky game.