Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Holy poo poo, I'm finally done with Beans!, Solar System, and Cat Got Your Tongue. Please tell me there aren't any more blindfold challenges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

If that means there's a follower-only run coming along, I reckon I'd probably be okay with that. As long as I've got something that can shoot loving tears rather than have to bump into things or fart on them.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Dizz posted:

doesn't have good synergies.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I'm really sad Rubber Cement doesn't work with Technology. I wanted rebounding lasers flying all over the place.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Did Greed mode get quietly bumped in difficulty with a recent patch or is it just me? I had no problems starting out with anyone when Afterbirth came out and now I'm swarming in poo poo.

e: I'm totally prepared to accept I'm a scrub I'm just really curious at this point.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Nov 28, 2015

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Dr. Fetus, Host Hat, and Soy Milk make for A Good Time. I'm hoping I can find Scatter Bombs.

e: hahah I just got glitter bombs. functionally infinite resources!

Stelas fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Dec 3, 2015

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I decided to try Antibirth while waiting for AB+ to get patched, and I kind of feel like some of the criticisms of AB+ could be levelled at Antibirth pretty easily. This feels like a mod written by and intended for people who are really good at the game - everything seems to have a chunk more HP, the levels are much larger, and I'm finding myself going 'oh gently caress off' a whole lot more than I did AB base. A couple of the rooms are almost certainly going to damage you - a couple of blood-trail enemies in that one room with boulders in all but a small portion of it, for instance. I guess on the whole I'm not really feeling the fun of this mod at the moment.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I'm not sure how you're supposed to get to the boss rush an Antibirth. It takes so much longer to get through the bigger floors that even rushing treasure room -> boss took me over 20 minutes.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I'm not going through the new floors at all - I'm just going down the normal ones as fast as I can. Antibirth just seems to like spawning bigger levels, I've seen a 12-room basement 1 before.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

gently caress that black worm in Antibirth Downpour. It's the source of a ton of unavoidable damage, especially if you fight it in the room with 10 little 1-square holes.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Playing as Bethany seems kind of profoundly unfun, especially once you hit lategame. Isaac alone is enough to pretty much wipe out your flames just by existing.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Finally got a good Bathany run going, mostly due to the fact that the Black Battery does very strange things when it interacts with the soul heart pool - the Book of Virtues was constantly at 1 charge and so using it was suddenly half price.

Then I lost Perfection to completely unavoidable damage (a room full of spikes and eight butt enemies, two of which were right on either side of the door I came through and farted instantly) and the Witness didn't drop the final chest when I Chaos Carded him. Good job game.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

In Antibirth, has anyone found a decent J+E strategy? I'm mostly just stacking tear upgrades on Esau and hoping I get enough health/damage to facetank any of the bosses - precision dodging around any of the major boss projectile spam seems outright impossible.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Hush is a piece of poo poo. I overestimated the damage cap and apparently all his adds (now?) have some random invincibility for a second or so when they first appear. Lost a 9-heart, sacred heart/proptosis/thin mushroom run to him. Even with a full health pill on hand, the sheer amount of bullshit he puts out (now? I sure as hell don't remember it being this stupid) is not okay in a game with hitboxes like isaac's.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

goferchan posted:

Edmund has talked about some Hush tweaks and a Delirium/Void rework that didn't make it in time for launch

I mean, that's cool to hear, but I'd rather there not be an armor value at all, or at least not quite so much poo poo on the screen. Isaac's not Gungeon, and bullet hell doesn't work when your hitbox takes up about 5% of the screen and has inertia. (This post brought to you by Bumbino and his ceiling rock spam.)

Plus, the fun of Isaac to me is getting a nutso synergistic build of stuff together. Slap an artificial limit on it and it just feels bad.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Apr 10, 2021

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I still don't know what to do against Hush in this update. Apparently I've killed it plenty of times before (I started out with Secret Exit unlocked) but I never played Afterbirth+, so I'm trying to unlock the Void. Hush's last phase just kills me dead nowadays in a way it didn't used to. The last phase has 'the tail end of his continuum bullets', 'the pile of adds with way too much health', 'the triple big red bullets' and 'the lasers I have to keep moving to stay away from' all combining into an unbeatable mess.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

No Wave posted:

(you have to know the "trick" for the purple bullets where each wave's bullets follow the same path so you can dodge the attack by finding a safespot and just standing there)

It did take me a while to remember that, and it makes the midportion of the fight a bit easier - except he now spawns a lot more waves of adds, which force you to move, and if your build is good enough to get to Hush it's pretty likely that you're going to get the final lasers at the same time as the previous continuum wave is still on the screen, which is just a nightmare.

I've definitely had runs where if I'd just been able to get some kind of healing pill I'd probably have gotten through fine, but man boss armor sucks and I'm really, really glad I took the time to get Godhead on a previous version of the game because laffo taking the Lost anywhere near him right now.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I don't think Mother's grid bullets actually scale to your character size, so that's... cool

Psi Fly is completely busted and meant I didn't have to interact with mother's bullet patterns, though, so that worked out. I genuinely don't know how you legitimately navigate her spinning barrage. Cool shoutout to completely untelegraphed attacks throughout corpse, which were the only thing the fly couldn't eat

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

lmao if you go into the Mines back area with flying it just gets arbitrarily stripped from you for the duration, nice

if Isaac wants to force the player into so many shmup style dodging sections, either by scaling or just by removing your build entirely, they really need to make hitboxes more obvious and remove tear height

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Black August posted:

I'll wait for a mod that just cuts it out entirely, but it is an easy event, you just have to be patient which is frustrating when you've already done it multiple times; I thought it'd be a once-per-Mother-checkmark deal.

Yeah, I don't have a problem getting through it, but taking away a part of your build is just... dumb, and feels really emblematic of the problems I'm feeling with repentance. Isaac wasn't originally built to be a game that really tested your dodging skill the way it wants to now, so they keep having to bolt on patches - item nerfs, damage scaling, no-fly-zones - to force you to engage with that side of things. Except it doesn't have basic shmup QOL features like visible hitboxes or consistent tear height, Isaac takes up a ton of screen space by default, and the game's really happy to just spawn stuff on top of you and give you a big 'gently caress you'. It's trying to do two things at once and I think it's coming off worse for it.

tl;dr 'waaah let me melt stuff in my single-player game' I guess

Stelas fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Apr 18, 2021

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Ipecac is a no-go for me nowadays unless I've already got bomb immunity. The number of mobs that will launch themselves towards you ASAP is just way too high

I ran into the same tractor beam issues - the bombs will try to home to the beam so if you look to the side while they're out they'll swerve across and clip you

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

the Isaac's Awakening challenge really indicates how nonsense tear height can be. I think I've gotten hit every room of Downpour by a bullet being just high enough to avoid the shield but not high enough for it to look obvious about it

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Bethany and a Basement 2 Red Key made for a ridiculous run, and as a bonus I got No! on Caves 2. I took it to Chest, partially just to get Every Item Ever and partially because I was several games into a streak and I'm trying to get the unlock.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Prop Wash posted:

yeah just be careful, I accidentally just Red Keyed myself into an error room (which are one way) and didn't get to fight mom for the polaroid :(

That'll happen if you go outside of the 13x13 box the game earmarks for the level size. If in doubt, try to fill in the rectangle around visible rooms first.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Barely squeaked through a J+E run after getting Dr. Fetus and Rocket In A Jar. It's a great combination, but the problem where faster enemies means they're too often within explosion range the moment you go through a door kinda puts it in the same boat as ipecac for me now, I think

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I really want to like Bethany but every time a spider barrels over to me the moment I open a Cellar door and pops all my sprites, I think about how I could be using a character who won't have their support evaporate the moment mom shows up

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I've never gotten Birthright on Bethany before so I don't know if this is a bug, but using it on the Glowing Hourglass is proccing Birthright's effect 100% of the time, which is kind of solving all my woes with Bethany's playstyle.

e: Aw, I switched to something else and it broke it. I assume birthright has some internal counter and is guaranteed to work the first time you use it, and since time was rewinding, every use was the 'first use'.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Apr 24, 2021

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

GrandmaParty posted:

Samson doesn't get good until he gets hit :/ and if he gets hit, no devil or angel rooms.

Samson can use sacrifice rooms and donation machines to boost his damage and still get rooms

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

flatluigi posted:

i feel like trisagion is a bit of a trap -- the damage decrease sucks and doesn't feel like it deserves that much of a drop for what you get from the ability, and i managed to run into an issue last run i picked it up where if you also had ipecac (yeah, i know) it just explodes immediately in your face every time you shoot

Trisagion is also extremely visually confusing. If a tear hits a rock it continues off the screen as it shrinks, but as far as I can tell doesn't actually have any effect past the point it hit the rock.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

After mashing my head against J+E and Bethany for a while it's such a relief to know that Tainted Bethany exists. Got a Car Battery on Basement 2, got an Angel Room on Caves 1, slammed all 42 stored hearts into multiple godheads and sacred tears. What an absolute, hilarious mess.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Apr 26, 2021

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

What does breath of life actually *do*

It's been a long time since I used it, but if you did the same thing I did you were probably thinking that you were invincible as you held down the bar. That's not the case - instead, you get the invincibility after draining the bar and quickly letting go of space. If you take too long to let go of space, you take damage - if you time it right, you get a brief burst of invincibility. It's really hard to use against bosses because of that, it's mostly for rooms. (If you're patient enough, you can max out any donation machine or devil beggar with it.)

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Note only the first angel deal is guaranteed, too. After that, you get what you get.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Despite all the new enemies, the most intimidating ones now are the skeletons and the meat piles. They're both fast enough now that it's super easy to get tagged, and there's the added 'aaaag' that they're on floors where you're waiting for your guaranteed angel room. Nothing like seeing 9.00% (-24.00%) float up the screen.

Special mention goes to the shitfuck rear end in a top hat electric flies. Nothing is more infuriating than the 'pwip!' noise a half-second after you enter the first item room.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

flatluigi posted:

i might be completely wrong, but i think those electric flies don't actually hurt you, they just sap your charge. still annoying, but it made me a little less frustrated to see them

Yeah, they don't actually hurt. It's just really annoying.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Irony Be My Shield posted:

You fight Mother and Beast at basically the same point or earlier than you'd fight Hush with fewer items.

That's a bit reductive imo, if you break them down:

Beast:
- Can go slow + be more thorough
- Can get items you missed due to resources
- Gets 2 items at Home and a big passive buff item after Dogma
- Big telegraphed attacks, not that much life on dogma, heavily scripted fights that are fairly learnable

Mother:
- Can go slow + be more thorough
- Lots of 2-item rooms gives you an edge on item quality
- Mirror boss if you feel up to it
- Mother's patterns are brutal but at least she's usually only doing one attack at a time

Hush:
- Gotta go fast, probably have to avoid boss rush, generally not make the most of donation rooms or arcades
+ You get the mess of items on Hush's floor, sure, assuming they're any good, but:
- 1.5x the health and boss armor of Mother
- broken rear end attack patterns

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I'll definitely admit that I find Mother much harder than Hush in general. But I think Mother has less attacks that are hard counters to certain setups - Hush can swamp you so easily if you can't deal with his adds, and the last phase is awful. Most of Mother's attacks can be dealt with via either positioning or streaming movement, with some tells on top.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It's interesting that you listed this as a positive - to me the fact that Delirium is different every time is a significant plus. Similarly the fact that Hush can use attacks in different combinations means that it has more variety than something like Mother, where you're basically just hoping you win the coinflip and get to see which side of the screen its charging down before it does it.

I think this is just a difference of opinion in what we're looking for in games in general - I'm the sort of person who likes being able to learn a fight and respond to its attacks, and I absolutely don't want 'more variety' in a boss fight if the combinations can result in situations where there are little-to-no safe spots or the boss can just teleport on top of me. That just feels like I've wasted my time.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Modoh posted:

What's the deal with "The Marathon" achievement/unlock (5 daily win streak)? I've definitely won the last 5 dailies I played, with non-0 scores showing up in black, but no unlock. It doesn't have to be consecutive days does it?

I'm also confused by this one. As far as I know they're supposed to be consecutive days, but according to the wiki you just need to post scores in the positive rather than actually winning.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I'm surprised people hate the Bloat - I mostly just find it quite slow, because it basically consists of staying diagonally down from him until he jumps, then staying directly above him to shoot at him. When he jumps to the top again, repeat.

I mean, yeah, insta-brimstone is a dick and the champion version is complete nonsense, but the normal one I tend to find fairly chill.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Technology + Ipecac is absolutely hilarious now, wow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

What a miserable daily. Love to have to take a vanilla Bethany through multiple large cellar rooms full of spiders thanks to not having a map, and then a Pride on top.