Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

IMJack posted:

Maybe we'll get lucky and "no damage" means "no red heart damage" for the achievements. That's what I hope anyway.

As much as I'd loooooove for that to be the case, it would make farming achievements with ??? a bit too easy.

Edit: Beaten by a mile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Well, I tried using a VPN in Japan, and the 'unlocks in' counter displayed the exact same amount of time as in my normal time zone, so I think we aren't going to have any luck playing the game early. Oh well, 37 hours til unlock.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Just FYI, Rebirth is now available to pre-load on Steam.

It's finally happening guys. It's almost here.

Edit: Or possibly not? The preload button is there, but I can't get it to download.

Random Asshole fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Nov 3, 2014

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

So, just for anyone hoping to play the game early: It ain't gonna happen. The whole 'pre-load suspended' thing is apparently going to stay in place until 10am PST, and VPNing from Japan or Australia doesn't change the time until release, so I highly doubt at this point that any kind of trickery is possible.

That being said, I'm super loving stoked. 21 hours and counting!

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

So, is this terrible on purpose, or....

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Met posted:

What deadlines?

The time of day Steam always updates with new games?

I think what he is saying is that they could have just unlocked it at midnight, which Steam has occasionally done in the past.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

About an hour ago, I started one last run of Isaac Classic, just to say goodbye to the old girl before jumping on the Rebirth train. One random run, and I went all the way and beat the Chest. That made me feel pretty good.

What doesn't feel good, of course, is finishing at 10:10 and seeing that the game still isn't ready to play. Oh well! You win some, you lose some.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Okay, seriously Valve? How hard is it to implement a loving countdown timer? You already had one on the store page, even!

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Welp, having lots of fun. Unlocked Cain by getting the dollar and Lazarus entirely by accident, and I just got three Guppy items, so thats gonna be fun.

On the other hand, Zero-G + Little Planet makes the game HARD AS gently caress, never picking those two up together again.

Edit: Man, that Guppy item run was loving bizarre. Got the Bible, killed mom with it to get the halo (my first mom kill), and somehow completed challange #20 (the purist) of all loving things. Anyone know why that happened?

Random Asshole fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Nov 4, 2014

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Does anyone know what is going on with the soundtrack? I bought it from steam along with the game, but it's not available.... despite having already been released in full elsewhere? I don't get it.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Okay, so basically the lesson I've learned is to never take Soy Milk, ever, no matter what. It and cursed shot pretty much single-handedly ruin any run if you pick them up.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

^^^To be clear I don't think he needed to be nerfed, but I'm personally pretty ok with the change, I played a round with him and he's still pretty great.

In case it wasn't already common knowledge, the devil bum just got a nerf in the update. He now only spawns 1 soul heart for every 1 and a half red hearts, instead of 1-1.

Random Asshole fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Nov 8, 2014

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

^^^^ The tradeoff is that he now consumes more red hearts then he produces in soul hearts, so he's not just straight-up upgrading them.

Yodzilla posted:

You guys weren't kidding about Soy Milk, that poo poo is a run ender right there. Everything is so loving tedious and terrible.

Speaking of which, gently caress Magnetic Tears too.

Magnetic Tears could be charitably described as 'situational', but there is literally no upside to Soy Milk, other then proc'ing more status effects, and why would you want that instead of, y'know, actually being able to damage enemies?

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Cobalt60 posted:

Just beat boss rush for the first time. I agree with an earlier post: Seems like once you 'tip' towards overpowered, you go ALL THE WAY.

Is there any bonus for beating boss rush multiple times, or just The Nail for the first time?

Every character unlocks something different from it.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Haha, wow, I spent SO loving LONG trying to get Dark Boy in the original BoI (it was the last thing I needed for plat god), and in this one, I'm just doing a routine Azazel run and it pops up. "Wait, I didn't get hit at all? ... Oh yeah, I guess I didn't!" I don't know if the lesson here is that Azazel is broken as gently caress or what, but I'm just glad that's one achievement that I'll never have to try for. Mama's Boy and whatever the Afterlife no-hitter achievements are will be a bitch, though.

On an unrelated note, I love when you encounter a devil room full of red chests, open one of them, and get teleported... to the devil room that you are already in.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Just rerolled my first Ludovico (wasn't as good as I was imagining), and I ended up with Technology+Parasite+Homing+Poison+Fire (possibly plus triple shot), which isn't so great against bosses but is an utter poo poo-wrecker against regular enemies. Fun to watch, too. Multiple green beams just ripping through all the enemies on screen at once, and giving them a shitload of status effects.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

^^^ Also, Nthing that keyboard controls are perfectly fine.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

It's possible they may be. I picked up 5-6 damage ups and it only registered 4 of them. That, or it's another thing that needs fixing.

The stats are deliberately abstracted, Edmund doesn't want people to be able to (easily) do the math on how upgrades work.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Logan 5 posted:

So I figured out a bit more about how the D4 works. It only rerolls some of your items, I suspect a random amount, randomly. It does this with the ENTIRE item pool, including things you haven't even unlocked yet. For a some items you keep the benefit, for example I rerolled into the 99 bombs item and kept all the bombs thereafter. I also got the items to become lord of the flies, and even after rerolling them I'm still flying.

My quad shot homing max damage Fetus is now quad shot homing Mom's Knife. Seriously you guys why do only 0.3% of people have this unlocked, its super easy to unlock and such fun.

Does it count gambling machines you blow up with bombs, or just the ones you blow up by gambling at them too long? Or am I completely misunderstanding how to unlock it?

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

So yeah, Parasite + Cricket's Body + High Fire Rate turns the room into a hellstorm of tiny pellets, to the point of causing slowdown. I'm almost afraid to take any other shot modifiers.

Edit: Add in Cancer and it's like a loving tear firehose. I'm clearing EVERY normal-size room in under a second of firing, without even aiming.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Woop woop, Golden God. I picked up Mom's Knife early on, and didn't like it any more then I did in Classic. Then, I found Mutant Spider. "Okay, a fan of knives that can hit multiple enemies, that's pretty good, I just wish it had longer range." The next treasure, the very next, was Ludovico. Hello controllable shuriken of Mom's Knives, goodbye Isaac and ???! I killed ??? so fast I didn't even get to see what his new gimmick is, the entire fight took like 5 seconds.

Welp, now to do some Chest and Dark Room runs without abusing the d6.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

LaughMyselfTo posted:

I don't really have any emotional stake in whether Holy Mantle is nerfed, but if it is nerfed, a reasonable nerf would be for it to take the first half heart of damage in every room, rather than the first hit.

Are there really people who think Holy Mantle needs a nerf? I was pretty much ok with the Dark Bum nerf, but at this point I think these people just don't really 'get' the spirit of BoI. If you're going to nerf the Mantle, why not the Wafer? Why not EVERY really good item?

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Yeah, getting no-hit achievements with it should be fixed (along with the second-floor only bug for those), and it probably should have been an unlockable, but the cat is kinda out of the bag at this point. I'm honestly not even that attached to it, I just think we're nerfing items that are merely really good rather then single-handedly gamebreaking, then you have to nerf Brimstone and other cool poo poo. I think it's perfectly ok to have some items that are better, even much better, then others.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Had my first Mega Satan fight, it turned out kinda hilarious because a) The stopwatch decided to activate, so Satan and his pals were super slow, and b) I had shielded tears, so I could just stand still and fire right at him during his already-slowed bullet hell attacks. Now, to get ??? and Lamb kills with every character. Gee, won't that be a barrel of laughs.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Runcible Spoon posted:

Can you unlock the Polaroid while you have a Negative piece showing on your save file pic, or do you have to do one or the other fully before the other?

No, you get the 5 kills each in any order, that visual is just to remind you how many you have.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

I'm at 61%, mainly because I'm just not very good at the game :). I've done everything with Isaac (with the D6, natch), but I haven't beaten Dark Room or Chest with anyone else - I can only win for sure when I have an absurdly broken set of items.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

So yeah, Rubber Cement + Spoonbender is pretty loving good - your tears basically swarm enemies and damage them multiple times each. Add in the Lost Contact and they basically cant fire projectiles either :)

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

I was perusing the wiki, and saw that Abaddon looked like a rad-rear end item. I decided to unlock it, just found it... the wiki neglected to mention that it turns all of your heart containers into black hearts. Ugh, run pretty much ruined. Oh well, live and learn.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

gently caress yeah, Dead Boy. I don't even care that I had near-literally the most broken items possible, that is probably the best achievement I'm ever going to get legitimately.

Edit: Which says a lot about my meager skill level, but whatever, I'm too stoked to care.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

I am sad to report that Dr. Fetus + Tear Bombs do NOT create an infinite-recursion bombpocalypse, as I had hoped. Oh well! With the items in the chest and some rerolling abuse I was able to make a droppable bomb that was so powerful it one-shot ???, so at least there is that.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Augus posted:

I'd say that Greed Mode has thoroughly failed at being about risk/reward gameplay. It's a pretty good "see how many ridiculous item combinations you can get" mode though.
Being able to spend money to reroll the RNG in certain rooms is a pretty great addition IMO

Honestly I wish they would include an 'Easy Mode' or something where this is always an option. As much as I love this game it still irks me when you get The Poop in the treasure room and Kamikaze as the boss reward, or something equally useless.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Alkydere posted:

loving hell, the Hush...(also, do we have to keep spoilering that?) How the gently caress do you dodge his Transcendence attack stage? Swirly blinking shots wobbling back and forth, and then wrapping around the level to fly and wobble even faster at you. I have no idea where to stand in relation to the tears, especially since 90% of the time the attacks will hit Isaac and go right through him...until they don't. I try moving around to another side and half the time there's already Transcendence tears over there. I had a run where I still had 7 hearts when he started that stage, only to get shredded.

Strangely, I've found the safest place to be during the Transcendance attack is right up next to him in the direction he's firing from, the tears he emits seem to pass right over you.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Is the actual Blue Womb (the one that is a full level) just a Womb variant? Does it do anything special?

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Jamesman posted:

loving this. I think the only other rougelike I played where I felt I didn't scale up properly with the difficulty was SotS: The Pit. To be fair though, I haven't spent a lot of time with that game, so maybe I haven't yet unlocked the secrets to getting enough ammo and food.

No, you're completely right, the apparently intended gameplay experience of The Pit is a slow-motion snuff film where even the most successful characters slowly, inevitably run out of one of the resources (or just hit the brick wall that is the final boss) and die. The only way to play that's actually fun is on the easiest settings and either flagrantly abusing the game mechanics (the xp/item storage lockers) or outright cheating. It's actually a lot like Enter the Gungeon in that it's actually a blast to play if you're willing to cheat around the bad bits.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Has anyone figured out how to open the door to The Corpse yet? I can confirm that Mom's Knife DOESN'T work like it did in Antibirth.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Psychedelicatessen posted:

Big ol' spoilers for the new path:

This is the hard one, you might want to click this -> In Downpour/Dross 2 there's a room with a white fire and a room with a mirror. Touch the fire and you die and turn in to the Lost, then go to the mirror room and pass through the mirror. On the other side, make your way to the item room to find the first key item. Return to your body if you don't want to continue as the Lost.

This one should be kind of obvious, if you explore floors fully -> In Mines/Ashpit 2, there's three yellow buttons around the floor and a tall room with a minecart in it. Push all three buttons to activate the minecart track and hop in the minecart. Just follow the track to the next key item.

Once you have these items, just continue as you would in Antibirth.

Thank you so much! Just because I'm staggeringly dumb and therefore bad at puzzles, is there anything else you have to do in the mausoleum?

Edit: Nope, looks like there are only two knife pieces now? Cool!

Random Asshole fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Mar 31, 2021

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Okay, NEW stupid question: does anyone know how to open the door in the depths that appears once you beat Corpse?

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Kawalimus posted:

Made the new last boss with a fairly strong run(very high rate of fire and explosivo)--got by the first section of it then got WRECKED. My god what do you DO. gently caress.

Yeah, the second form seems basically like Hush with a much smaller arena, I had a totally busted load out and just barely scraped through. Gonna make some fun runs once I’m playing the shittier characters.

Augus posted:

Grab the polaroid or the negative and then warp out of Mom's boss room using an item.
If you look around carefully there's a skull with a small x mark on it somewhere on Depths II that will give you a guaranteed The Fool card if you bomb it.

Thank you so much, my brain just shuts down any time I run into one of these puzzles

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Almond Milk + Technology + Ipecac was a wild run. Rapidfire green explosion laser! If I had managed to get Pyromaniac I would have been basically invincible.

PostNouveau posted:

I've gotten several broken runs in about a dozen Repentance runs. Maybe I'm just getting lucky though.

Does it seem like Brimstone's drop rate has increased but the item itself took a bit of a damage nerf? I'm seeing it a lot.

They removed the limit on special items and replaced it with a weighting system, so you can't get locked out of it anymore. That in and of itself means it's going to show up much more often.

Random Asshole fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Apr 2, 2021

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

Just tried my first Jacob and Esau run and broke my brain similarly to my first ludovico technique run

Just wait till you get a J&E PLUS Ludovico run. I lost shortly after, just because it was so hard to actually shoot things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Is there something specific you can do to make the Red Key show up after the first time, or is it just 'hope it shows up randomly while you're doing their Door run'?