Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

IMJack posted:

Maybe we'll get lucky and "no damage" means "no red heart damage" for the achievements. That's what I hope anyway.

As someone who got Platinum God? No, gently caress that. gently caress that. I want the game to give me its loving worst. :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Kawalimus posted:

Yep, it's 100%. Just went to the 2nd floor boss and intentionally took red heart damage, room still showed up. Also stays there no matter how many times I enter and exit the boss room. Whether this is by accident or on purpose that's how the book works now. Whoever wrote that in the wiki was just going by the old version.

So Book of Belial is super powerful in this game.

I did a couple Judas runs earlier today and Belial did not result in guaranteed devil rooms for me.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

So Math posted:

I got to The Chest with one out of eight red hearts. On the second room, I killed Gluttony and went up to nine full hearts! Then I died to the double Adversary room. :suicide:

Seriously gently caress double Adversary rooms. I had an ace run get stopped in the Dark Room because I must have run into two or three double adversary rooms in it. I got my revenge today by rolling an absolutely amazing Eden run that involved high damage high range number one bouncing piss along with Infestation 2 and Mulligan.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Sometimes the game just wants you to win. Eden run that started me off with Rubber Cement and the D4, around Caves 2 the D4 landed me with Ipecac, Mom's Eye, Cricket's Body and Pyromaniac. Then for good measure I picked up the hook worm and now there is no binding of Isaac, there is only chaos.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

death .cab for qt posted:

I did The Planet a little while ago, which was fun, because I broke the gently caress out of it. I bought Brimstone, not realizing it wouldn't give me tears, but then later got Tammy's Head from a chest... :unsmigghh:

Kinda ruins the challenge when every room is "press space bar" "win" "next room"

On one hand it's pretty cool when you completely break challenges, but even then it's all good, the Solar System challenge was great fun trying to win it regardless of whether I succeeded or not. All about the journey, not the destination and so on.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Soy Milk is great, not because it makes you better at killing things, but because it's fun.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Ferroque posted:

The old music is more poorly mixed, mastered, and has zero real instruments. The new music is well mixed, is super catchy, and was made by a previous member of Truly Great Band Sleepytime Gorilla Museum. People who love the old music are just attached to it because they listened to it for hundreds of hours and hate change.

Oh and the new track layering effects are really cool.

I find the new music to be boring honestly. Track layering would be cooler if it stayed around longer but as it is you hear it for maybe 10 seconds before you clear the room most of the time.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

I don't even need to go back and play it to tell you it's Isaac's head in profile.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

It generally seems to not have a 100% chance of working in my experience, Womb or no Womb.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

I just had a ridiculous run (seed F1D7 ABDN), triple shot in the first floor then epic fetus in the second floor's challenge room. It kicked rear end then in the chest I find Ipecac and Epic Fetus' damage goes through the roof. :stare: A single fetus missile triplet was enough to take out ??? and Megasatan's last form.

Caveat: I haven't touched the Lost and I'm not planning to so I guess there's a tiny chance that any of these items replace a lost unlock or something like that.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Jesus Christ, Missing No. can give you some loving insane combos. I thought that getting Ipecac + Death's Touch + Chocolate Milk (letting me rapid-fire ipecac scythes) and then finding Monstro's Lung giving me supercharged Ipecac tears was insane.

But now on the floor change I got Death's Touch + Chocolate Milk + Tiny Planet + Sad Bombs and who knows what else and holy poo poo. :stare:

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Cobalt60 posted:

Yeah, I did this throughout, and only "withdrew" a couple times to help during a couple boss rush runs. Maybe it's because I set it to "hard" since the beginning? Whatever the reason, the prospect of farming 300 more coins is really unappealing just to get Platinum and Real Platinum...

Just play the game to have fun and fill the donation machine in the process...?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Dr. Fetus posted:

Someone convince me to play some character other than D6 Isaac. He's just way too fun. :allears:

Eden is great fun. Give in, surrender yourself to the whims of luck. :getin:

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

After two or three times of picking up Missing Page 2 thinking it's Contract From Below I have learned to recognise it when it pops up.

Also I hate myself and started playing with The Lost. After about 100 runs (which included a pretty decent dead cat+infestation 2+cat mode run where I managed to get through It Lives and died in Sheol to a Cage encounter) I found the stopwatch in basement 2, firerate odd mushroom and then brimstone in a devil deal I managed to get through the boss rush, found the dead cat in the womb I devil deal and killed Isaac and ???. I have to say, it's not as bad as I expected it to be, quickly going through various basements and cellars is pretty cool and I like having near-guaranteed devil deals after the first floor.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Haha, I just had the perfect run with the Lost. Stopwatch AND Holy Mantle.

Then I walked into a blood donation machine. :downsgun:

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Tollymain posted:

why is this even possible

I wasn't even mad about it. It was beautiful. In any case, I just actually pulled it off, stopwatch+catmode (no dead cat)+a whole bunch of damage upgrades. I am finally free.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

The good thing about the Lost is that thanks to all the abortive runs I played through Basement I enough times to find the Steven item.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

First run after finishing with the Lost, Godhead pops up on its own on the Womb I angel room. God bless the seed RNG.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Frustrating, I managed to find the habbit, pyromaniac and epic fetus, but the chest didn't any red poop or fires so that I could infinitely charge the D6 (or the monster manuel if I'd ever rolled it). Didn't get to fight Mega Satan as a consolation prize either.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

kemikalkadet posted:

I haven't seen it more than three times in 297 hours played in rebirth. It was a bit more common in the flash version, or I was just luckier there.

I'm pretty sure I've only ever seen it once in as many hours, and I don't see many people mention it in their OP runs. Definitely one of the rarest items in the game, maybe it got the short end of the stick on seeds that contain it.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

I generally try to go for angel rooms because I feel a run's incomplete if I don't get to fight the Real Final Boss(TM). Which leads to other sad things like entering an angel room only to realise you don't have any bombs on you. :negative:

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Red hearts are pretty drat cool at keeping you alive.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

And that's just the basement!

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Finally got a Super Bandage Girl. Sharp Plug to the chest, rerolled the starting 4 until I got a wafer, got a yum heart in a different room so I could heal the sharp plug damage indefinitely, then it was a matter of rolling the three remaining items until I got a Manuel and then taking it to the room with the Yum Heart. Now all that's left to do to hit 100% is to find the bandage. :unsmith:

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

If you can't capture a boss after weakening them there's no point.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

You won't be done with the Lost when Afterbirth adds more stuff that you need to kill with every character.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Just put money as you play, if you do something like 5 coins per run or if you dedicate yourself to donating your wallet down to 10 coins per floor you'll get there in no time.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

The Lost is fine as he is.

Manatee Cannon posted:

Does he have the Goat's Head effect by default? I honestly don't remember. If he doesn't, he should.

No but for all intents and purposes yes; not being hit means you have something like a 90% chance to get a devil/angel room.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Codiekitty posted:

Then in the Cathedral, it gave me a 2x2 room with two Envies, one Super Envy, and a bunch of those flying invincible skulls.

I hate that room, it always takes way too long to clear.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

I tend to not enjoy Death's Touch much. Even with the bigger-than-usual damage increase it's not *that* different, tear rate gets slightly reduced, and piercing shot is a mixed blessing since it means you give up knockback. It just ends up not feeling as strong as it should.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

Maybe picking up all of the Lost items sans Godhead gives you something.

Put an achievement behind it. :unsmigghh:

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

bucksmash posted:

Oh thank god. I just unlocked The Lost yesterday and immediately went into "NOPE" mode.

Still gotta get that Lvl 4 Meat Boy and all...

Do it before he gets buffed for bragging rights.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Giving the Lost the D6 will go a real long way towards mitigating his item pool issues though.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

D4 will give plenty of runs that make it to the caves a good number of chances to roll some near-certain win items like the Gnawed Leaf. Most of the time you'd be restarting to see if you get something good in the first couple floors then die because you got poo poo, but now all these lovely non-viable runs will have a much better chance of turning viable.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

The thing is it's pretty easy to set up an infinite re-roll run with D6 Isaac. You need either the Sharp Plug (which is pretty easy to come by by rerolling the shop given the size of the shop item pool) or the habit with a source of damage, and some way to heal yourself: Pyromaniac with a big bomb supply or an explosive something, Gimpy/Old Bandagy/Fanny Pack, Piggy Bank/Swallowed Penny w/ Bloody Penny, Wafer and a Yum Heart somewhere on the floor, and I'm sure I missed some. Not all of those guarantee infinite sharp plug uses but with the D6 and the sharp plug it's relatively easy to come across the rest of the items needed to get such a set up in the Chest. Then you can keep rerolling the first four chests until you get either the monster manuel or items that you need to allow you to pull off infinite rerolls. Trying to do it legit is almost a waste of time.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Book of Revelations demands that you either get it on the first two floors or that you get horsemen anyway before finding it. I guess you could be rerolling until you get a floor 1 Book of Revs but that sounds like a tremendous bore than playing the game normally, having fun, and trying to piece together an infinite reroll set-up.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

VideoGames posted:

why do people hate conquest so much? i dont think ive unlocked him yet. (im really bad at the game)

His item drop is unique, and isn't the cube of meat or ball of bandages, so if you're trying to get Super Meat Boy or Super Bandage Girl it fucks you over after you've already gone through all the seven floors to the womb I boss room, full of hope and dreams.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Nighthand posted:

Got monster manual on floor 2 as isaac; proceeded to not get a reroll setup for the entire rest of the game.

You want to keep the D6 at the very least until the shop gives you the sharp plug, and then afterwards for the first chest room.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Hjalmar posted:

Well, I finally completed all 20 challenges. I seriously have no idea how anyone is actually supposed to beat Suicide King without lucking out and getting Mom's Knife or something that nullifies the gimmick, but I did that, so now I don't have to figure it out.

If you can get your timing and accuracy right, you can shoot the Ipecac at enemies and have it explode before the rebound starts to happen and at a distance sufficient enough for you to not get hurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Need No Instruction posted:

I just started playing this game yesterday...my streak is sitting at -16. Is that a disproportionate amount of suck? This game is very hard and I'm not sure if it's my timing or my lack of understanding game features that keeps getting me killed (mostly by Dangle, he is the worst).

You will learn. You have to first learn how to survive going deeper, then to learn to win runs, then to learn to win runs with lovely builds. The first phase will always produce bad streaks.