Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Met posted:

I don't think that was the problem for me. I think the expansion was good for experienced players but really hurt the people who bought both the base and expansion together and started with Lamb content.

As someone who has been playing since before WotL came out, I agree. The expansion definitely brings with it a spike in difficulty and given how hard I found the vanilla game when I first started, it must be pretty crazy trying to start with WotL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Choco1980 posted:

Pre-ordered this AM, and I'm totally psyched.

That said, am I the only one who thinks the new pixel-art style actually seems like a significant downgrade to the original's look? I mean, I love pixel-art as much as the next dude, and I get that BoI was always meant to be a retro game experience, but the crisp clean artwork is kinda part of what makes BoI BoI.

Plenty of people like the old artwork better, but you're the first person I've ever heard describing the artwork from the first as "crisp and clean". It's a bit on the sloppy side, honestly. In any case, there will be a filter you can apply in Rebirth to make it look more like the last game.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Do you have a link? Because that dev blog is like dozens of pages of unrelated poo poo that I'm not really too willing to filter through. I'd like to see how it actually looks since I'm not big on the pixel-art style either but filters in my experience usually just make it look like you're playing the normal game only it looks like someone rubbed vaseline on the camera lens.

I don't know how to link directly to it, but it's on the second page, four posts down. Also, you should really skim through the blog at least because there are some amazing gifs in there.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

How do you get out of the center of four gravity wells?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Could someone please tell me the name of the item that is teleporting me into a random room every time I get hit as Eve so that I can write its name down on a piece of paper and then throw that piece of paper into a volcano?? That poo poo is beyond irritating.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Logan 5 posted:

Probably the cursed eye, the charge up and then rapid fire like 4 shots at once. If you're hit when charging you're likely to get teleported.

That's it. Man what a pain in the rear end.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Does the Breath of Life just not work? I tried it and it looked like I was taking damage still, but I was under the curse of the unknown.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Any tips for suicide king? How do you use the projectile effectively?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Well, you could always get Tammy's head.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

zolthorg posted:

Yeah. Whatever happened to the tutorial room showing you which button does which item?

There are more buttons now, that would pretty much fill up the whole room.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Is it normal for Eden to only have 7 stat points between their six stats? Because I can't recall having ever gotten more than that, and I was hoping that Eden would be better than this.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

Yeah, it's pretty normal if neither of your items provide any stats. Sometimes you roll a lot better, though.

Glad to hear it. Playing as Eden is still super fun, I just wasn't expecting it to be quite so hard.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Dead Boy is definitely bugged. I just beat the chest for a second time and took about 8 full hearts of damage during it. Still got it. I guess I'm just that good.

I'm glad that Isaac is easier than Satan now. In the last game he was terrible. For those who didn't play it, all of his tears were retaliatory, meaning he fired a small barrage of 1-3 tears for every individual attack you hit him with. This meant that you could pretty much never kill him with a low damage, high fire rate build unless you had so many hearts that you could tank like 15 full hearts of damage. This was back when every floor beyond the depths made you take a full heart of damage form every damage source unless you had the wafer, mind.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Jibo posted:

The eyes are from whatever the hell that item is called that gives you big tears that shrink over distance.

Proptosis.

Can someone explain to me how people were supposed to discover the lost legitimately? because from the bits and pieces I've heard it sounds far too obtuse. Is there some sort of jingle when you die in a correct way?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Cuntpunch posted:

So https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byRoiE8CD-4 just happened.

I hate Maggie, she's slow as a turtle and just always seems to find +HP rather than +Dmg items. But I got Daddy Long Legs in the first treasure room and figured that would be sufficient backup damage. Tiny Planet was, as I recall, the second Treasure Room and I said 'gently caress it ok zany run'. I found Cursed Eye along the way and it made sense, then when Wiggle Worm showed up in that Cathedral secret room I just had to do it. What a loving bonkers playthrough. I can't imagine what else I could have stacked to make those tears any less controllable.

Now try getting the round worm during the Head Trauma challenge.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Cuntpunch posted:

Well that's an interesting bug:
Playing Judas, first floor, treasure room connected to spawn, has Technology 2. First boss room I pop my Belial and now I'm shooting both Technology *and* big tears.

Technology 2 is a weak, constant laser that fires in addition to your normal tears, Tech 1 replaces them. In the original game, Tech 2 was a bad item as Cain because it covers the eye the Cain fires all of his tears out of, so instead of a weak laser and slightly weaker than normal tears, you just got a weak laser. Is that still a thing?

Pwnstar posted:

This is not me being a smug goonlord but is the Purist challenge supposed to be hard? Its just a normal run without treasure rooms right? I thought it was pretty easy compared to some of the poo poo I went through in the blindfold challenges. Maybe its all RNG tho~

Well, the Purist challenge calls upon the same skills that the normal game does, whereas the gimmicky ones like Cat Got Your Tongue require you to learn a skill that you may not be familiar with like getting close to enemies without touching them. Two different beasts.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

It would be nice if there were something you could do to force one or the otehr to drop. Like, Book of Revelations for Meat Cube and Satanic Bible for Bandage Ball. Say, does the Book of Revelations still force the floor you're on to have a horseman?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Alkydere posted:

For reference: if you find a free ladder to the next floor when in Utero II, you'll go straight to Sheol. Since I was going that way anyways I didn't mind skipping It Lives which always eats a bunch of my heaalth, just thought people might be interested to know.

Just be careful not to do that on a challenge run that ends in womb 2.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Mr. Wednesday posted:

Holy poo poo

:siren: the credit card works in the devil room :siren:

What about store credit?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Had a decent ??? run going where I had book of revelations. I ruined it by walking into a dice room and thinking it wouldn't shuffle my inventory. I think I'm done touching those loving things.

How on earth did any of you get max store upgrade? Every time I try to donate now it breaks after like 10 coins every time.

Just avoid 1 and 6 if you don't want your stuff rerolled.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I'm a little annoyed by the fact that the only button you can press to skip the boss splash screen on a controller also causes you to shoot down. Meaning that you have to watch it every time during the suicide king challenge.

PantsBandit posted:

Can someone explain to me why it is that my build will sometimes just randomly change? Like one second I'm walking through a room and then suddenly I have like 5 new familiars and I'm shooting lasers and have monstros lung that shoots exploding shots. I mean, I"m not complaining. I killed mom's heart in like half a second (BUT NO loving SATAN ROOOOOM) but it's very weird.

Does that room happen to have a giant picture of a 6 sided die on the floor?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Does the blank card have to be unlocked in some way?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

The Humbling Bundle makes getting hit by greed heads profitable.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Fun fact: the I AM ERROR room on the chest brings you back to the same level, but with respawned items. Fun fact: secret rooms can sometimes have batteries. Fun Fact: Undefined can teleport you to either.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Does beating Mega-Satan actually get you anything?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

something posted:

So uh.... i did the cathedral for the first time just now and... i killed isaac at the exact same time he killed me. I got the death screen and all but it said i unlocked a bag of pennies.

I guess my question is...did I win or not?

Yup. You can see the ending you missed in the stats screen.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Is it even possible to get max luck? I can only think of a few items that bring it up, and they don't do much. The Lucky Foot doesn't even bring you up to two bars. The only way I can think of is with fire + habit + pill bottle + pyromaniac + 99 bombs shenanigans.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Sir Tonk posted:

Watching http://www.twitch.tv/cobaltstreak do this was pretty great, so many deaths. Those burrowing dudes in Utero/Womb are fuckers.

Bosh rush happens if you beat the Mom in half an hour, I think.

20 minutes.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Sokani posted:

I used to think that dead cat was a pretty stupid item because if I'm down to one heart I'm not gonna accomplish anything anyway. Then I beat the Cathedral on my ~6th life. Something was causing me to drop black hearts on some of my deaths and they built up enough that I could beat Isaac. Hooray for dead cats!

Monkey's Paw, at a guess. Drops a black heart when you dip below one red heart disappears after 3 triggers.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

ChibiSoma posted:

then here's a Judas seed with Tech 2, Ipecac, Monster's Lung, and Sacred Heart (which is the worst combo. Don't do Ipecac ever)

Tou're not supposed to use the Ipecac. Monstro's lung will allow you to use your tech 2 laser without firing shots, and Ipecac and Sacred Heart cause that laser to do ridiculous damage,

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

E1BP
8EKA

There's a seed that starts you right next to a treasure room with the Holy Mantle if you want to get some practice with the Lost.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

It's a little odd how the flashing red spiders can burrow through rocks. Why are they the only ones that can do that?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

AnonSpore posted:

Both, and 200+ deaths and at least five times as many resets.

What's your reset strategy? I've been resetting if the first floor had a curse of darkness and if the first item room had a useless item. It doesn't have to be a great item, but if it's an HP up, on-hit effect, or item that hurts you when you use it, I just cut that run off immediately.

Krinkle posted:

I uhhhh. Wow. In the original game I never beat satan, ever. And I hadn't even tried here. But I get to mom's womb and there's a heaven gate. I ascended a beam of light, something I did not know could happen (was that possible pre wrath of the lamb?) There were angels and ghosts and after about fifteen bosses I beat heaven? Is that harder or easier than satan? I didn't get hit by the final boss once but I'm pretty sure I'd have gotten stomped to poo poo by giant goat hooves if I had gone the other way.

That's confusing. The Cathedral certainly doesn't involve any giant goat hooves. Was the place you were in blue and white, or black? If it was black, that was Sheol and you did beat Satan. Congrats! Satan was easier in the first game, but is harder in this one. Anyway, once you've beaten Mom's Heart enough times you will always get an entrance to Sheol and an entrance to the Cathedral. It's possible you walked into the beam of light so fast that your momentum caused you to slide right into the trapdoor.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Is she not good enough as is? I think so.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Ashsaber posted:

So what are people's thoughts on Azazel? I personally think he's my new favorite character, replacing Cain since Luck Foot was nerfed. My first Azazel Run to actually go anywhere was pretty hilarious though, ended up fighting Issac, and because I had been killing things so fast and using Guppy's Head constantly I went into the fight with like ~25 flies and 5 spiders, who killed Issac before I could even charge my shot.

Massive Damage + Flight is just so good.

Brimstone is great as always and flight is handy, but I dislike Azazel for how many items don't really affect him. Proptosis doesn't do anything, triple shot has little effect because of the low range, spoon bender is the same. Ouija Board, Cupid's Arrow, Spirit of the Night, Lord of the Pit. The end result is that every Azazel run shakes out about the same way, either you win with the super good laser or you get the tiny planet/tammy's head and you really win with the super good laser.

Genocyber posted:

Oh drat, I thought if I gave up Guppy's Paw I would lose Guppy form since I would no longer have three Guppy items. Nice to know I don't have to hang on to it.

You will also attain Guppy form if you have one passive Guppy item and switch between the Paw and the Head.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

How do you deal with the Haunt as the Lost? I haven't beaten them yet except for when I got technology to take potshots at the big guy form the bottom of the screen. If you stand right in front of him he hits you with the spread shot and if you stand to the side of him he charges into you.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

How do you deal with the Adversary's laser attack? Just ruined a really good lost run. I tried circling around and that didn't work.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Just used a Moon card and ended up in a secret room where the only exit was into a curse room. No bombs, no health. drat.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

AnonSpore posted:

I'm definitely getting addicted to angel rooms now that the Lost's unlocks are in them, especially with Isaac where you can reroll the key to another item for a guaranteed one and chance at two great items. I got the goat head on floor one and actually completed the body/mind/soul+godhead combo together with the 20/20s and a bunch of other sick upgrades, then rolled dad's key with my last d6 roll on the chest. So I got to take on Mega Satan, and the aura from the godhead tears alone killed everything before it managed to attack even once.

In a run like that, I recommend going and defeating the boss of that floor before megasatan, just because you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

zolthorg posted:

Isn't the only use item the really good 1heart = 2 soul hearts paw

e: Or are you referring to becoming guppy and then using a reroll room

There's also Guppy's head.