Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I like the D6 because it let me finish off the item sheet easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

We Need to Go Deeper/XL floors and Emperor

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I'm sure I'll get used to the new artstyle just like I got used to the old one.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Wow, Azazel is bugged in TWO ways. His black hearts don't count as regular hearts OR soul hearts, meaning getting hit doesn't take away from the X Boy achievements. I just got Basement Boy as Azazel even though I got hit like 3 times.
I got Basement Boy in spite of taking a red-heart hit as Isaac, I think it's just bugged in general.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

What do R U A Wizard pills do? I was munching loads of pills in my last game and other than Amnesia they helped a lot.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's meant to track your progress with your character. I've no idea what that particular symbol means but I'm guessing you've beaten an endboss with them?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Teeth rooms are definitely worth it if you have no soul hearts and have hearts going spare at the end of a level. Otherwise you have to decide whether what's inside (could be more hearts, or sometimes even good items) is worth losing a soul heart for. Note that if you're flying you only have to sacrifice half a heart (on the way out but not the way in), for some reason.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Just had a run with the Cursed Eye. It really didn't seem that bad, you just have to make sure you release your shot if you're about to get hit. Then again I did get an insane polyphemus+chocolate milk+multiple damage boosts combo that resulted in room-sized tears that one-hit basically everything.

Also got Bob's Brain but by that point everything was dying too fast for me to care.

Color Printer posted:

"Man, I can't figure out what's up with Curse of the Blind." *enters treasure room* "........Oh."

All treasures appear as question marks.
Hah, I got it in The Womb and never even noticed.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The bullet hell bosses are actually good.

Turtlicious posted:

Idk maybe if someone would show or talk about a consistent win streak, but right now what I hear (and see on most streams!) Is some dude dying a bunch until he gets some cool poo poo.

e: You can tell me to git gud, but it's not like we know you're any good either.
I'm on a 5 kill streak (heart only for now) at the moment. I think it mostly comes down to knowledge of what each enemy does and how to avoid putting yourself in a situation where you can't avoid its attack. If you want any tips for specific enemies that are taking hearts from you I can probably help.

One general tip: if you don't think you're in danger of dying within the next room it's often better to not take blue/black hearts until the end of the level. That way you'll take (easily repaired) red damage, and can save the blue for the harder next floor.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Man bossrushing with Azazel is so fun, he just wipes them all out so quickly.

Escobar Sanchez posted:

Used the D10 on the haunt and it changed the small ghosts into different things but the boss stayed like this and was invulnerable.
Never trust DIO.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

IUG posted:

So in the first Binding Of Isaac I struggled for months to get Dark Boy. Tonight, in 10 hours of playing this game, I no-hit the Depths with loving Eve. I didn't even know I pulled that off. I don't think I even had anything great, certainly not the one-hit protection shield, not the awesome shield shots, or any orbitals. Just a lot of luck apparently. Took me by surprise, and it's good that it's out of the way already.
I think a lot of horrible bullshit layouts have been removed, or at least dramatically reduced in frequency. Previously most of my Dark Boy attempts would fail due to either a nasty mask/heart layout or a gaggle of excessively close Mr. Maw's/Globins. I haven't really seen anything like them in Rebirth yet.

I mean I still take hits constantly from those stupid Brimstone Spiders, but I'm pretty sure I'll get over that eventually.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's really annoying dealing with enemies that explode or spit bullets on death though.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Items that make you insanely powerful are fine, but as it is Dark Bum pretty much hard-sets your health to the maximum. You can trade away all your health in devil deals and still basically have 12 health with him, that's absurd. He could give you half the soul hearts he currently does and he'd still be great.

Incidentally whoever said that Coal makes Head Trauma bearable is right, suddenly you're at the centre of a swirling maelstrom of death that almost nothing can pass through.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's not really fun though, it's just "You have 12 health".

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Skaw posted:

It's also not very good if you like leveraging spare red hearts for money or demon beggar items. I fall under that. I picked dark bum up once, for the collection completion.
With the demon beggar you can now leverage your spare blue hearts instead :ssh:

Jusupov posted:

How many unlocks come from the boss rush room? I've gotten two so far.
One per character I think.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

How could you not enjoy playing Azazel? His whole playstyle is based around flying right up close to things, obliterating them and running away. It's great.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think sin/faith might affect the spawnrates of evil/soul hearts and devil/angel rooms? That's just a guess though, I haven't seen any concrete effects.

Manatee Cannon posted:

It is really hard to get close to the bullet hell bosses without taking damage. Since Azazel starts with no health and three black hearts, that matters a lot. I'd say Azazel starts off way stronger than most,if not all of the other characters but is also way more dependent on the RNG for long term viability.
I completely disagree, he's probably the least RNG dependent character. He does loads of damage and has flying, you can slaughter almost any boss from the get-go. Even bullet-hell bosses definitely give you enough of an opening to attack (for a huge amount of damage), I ran through the entire boss-rush easily without any particularly good items.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

drunken officeparty posted:

God I hate moms knife. I hate all charge tear items.
Is this because of keyboard problems? If not then you probably just haven't learnt how to use burst damage properly.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Guarantees a devil room every floor. Very useful if you haven't properly unlocked Sheol yet.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Color Printer posted:

I'm super glad the super-secret womb room quirk from the original came back and even more glad that it apparently effects completely non-random drops like Dark Bum. :allears:

Wonder how the Cathedral one (with the eternal heart) functions now......
Has anyone tried using a Lovers or Hierophant card inside one of those super secret rooms?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I don't think fortune telling machines drop soul hearts anymore, unless I'm getting very unlucky with them. Also the Crystal Ball gives you the effect of both the map and the compass whenever you use it. It's good.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

OK fair enough. Maybe it's actually affected by in-game luck?

Alteisen posted:

Just did a hard mode boss run and nothing dropped from them, no hearts, nothing. :psyduck:

I don't know if my game is glitched or if hard mode is just like this.
Bosses not dropping hearts is a major feature of Hard, yeah.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Wow Coal and Anti Grav go together really well. I didn't expect the tears to charge while stationary. When I also got Sacred Heart everything got slaughtered. The most memorable moment was probably when I did a boss challenge room, and had both bosses instantly gibbed by the huge tears floating around in the room. Mom's Heart suffered a similar fate.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Darkness Descends is like stepping into a parallel universe where Eve is a fun character. I wish she had the razorblade by default.

Also with Curse of the Blind I randomly traded two hearts for items on depths 2 and became Guppy

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The rainbow poop refills your healthbar.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Cheekio posted:

Wow, I wanted to say it's a great game and I'm liking it, it really lived up to expectations, except for the bugs. Sometimes my heath bar disappears and occasionally the game screws up and puts me 2 rooms over when walking between screens, anyone else having this problem? Ubuntu x64...
Those are both intended curse effects, yeah they do suck.

Although Maze just made me accidentally fight the final boss when I was trying to mess around with an arcade so I guess it saved me time!

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Mackers posted:

So the Goat's Head which is supposed to protect you from all overhead damage, like Mom's foot, does NOT work on Satan's stomp. Fuckgoddammit.

I had that, and the shield which stops all damage from the front but then Satan just stomped me to death because I did no damage :(
The Goat's Head only does bullets, not explosives or enemies. I think the mask is the same.

e: or is the entire overhead thing false? The main effect of the Goat Head is giving you a devil room every level.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Nov 8, 2014

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's one thing to have really powerful items that change the way you play, it's quite another to have an item that essentially sets your health to 12 instantly, thus completely negating the worth of a stat that is usually integral to gameplay while also not actually being interesting in any way shape or form because it's a complete no-brainer. The new Devil Bum is still powerful but there's an actual tradeoff involved so it's a lot more interesting, hope that helps.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

CJacobs posted:

What's the tradeoff? If you mean the fact that he turns hearts into soul hearts, a) you can still get them before he picks them up because he moves slowly, and b) soul hearts are better than normal hearts in every possible situation.
I specifically said that new version. 1 soul heart is not better than 1.5 red hearts in every possible situation.

LaughMyselfTo posted:

You do know that they can't go off the screen in Rebirth, right? :D
Yeah so if you needed a red heart instead (which is unlikely because under the old version you should have been trading away all your hearts in devil deals once you had your health hard-set to 12 by the dark bum) you could just beat him to it.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I'd say Bob's Brain is closer to a run-saver than a run-loser, it's big chunk of additive damage that will make any bossfight at least bearable. It's a little awkward when you're fighting nearby enemies but you can usually just chuck it off to the side to "distract" it.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

If you just focus on getting the item then descending on each floor you should easily finish in under 20 minutes. I only fail usually due to obsessive use of arcades.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

e: well nevermind.

Has anyone else messed around with the effects of high luck? I managed to get a full bar of it the other day but it didn't seem to do much other than guaranteeing a drop every room. Gambling didn't seem to be any different.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think McMillen probably wants The Lost to be a really difficult and mysterious unlock that forces the community to work together at first. Once people have worked it out he'll probably patch it to make it easier like he did with The Chest.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Anyone else find Dingle to be an early run-killer? His shots after he summons the little chocolate drop guys come out way too fast, and he seems to be able to go directly into a triple dash right after that.
Not really, his attacks are incredibly telegraphed and predictable. Whistle = spawn dudes then triple shot, smile = triple shot, puffed cheeks = triple dash at you three times. The only attack that you might still struggle with is the dash, but if you stop firing at him then just stepping out of his path should work fine (firing occasionally makes him spike off in an unpredictable direction).

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Rocketlex posted:

The problem is more that...like...what's the experience going to be for someone coming to this game in ten years? They'll either just never find it or have to dig through an old wiki that may not exist anymore. Designing games just for the immediate playing experience just...isn't great from a game design perspective, especially for a single-player game like this that isn't actually built around an online community.
It'll probably be patched to be way easier at some point like The Polaroid was.

Are there items locked behind The Lost?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I usually just throw the Death card at a big regular room that would be tedious to clear out otherwise.

NoUU posted:

The only real problem I have with this game is a lot of synergies not working. They could of spent more time hard coding them in.
It is a lot better than the first game, and there would be literally thousands of special cases to put in. I was annoyed that Pisces doesn't work with Dr Fetus though :argh:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah you just need to get lucky, if you got something like the Holy Mantle early on it wouldn't even be super hard.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Kaethela posted:

How does the breath of life, or whatever it's called, work? It claims invincibility, but I can hold down the space bar and still get hurt before the energy bar runs out. Is there more to it that I don't understand or what?
As far as I can tell once the bar is fully empty you have about a second of invincibility before the item starts hurting you (you can release spacebar before this happens to avoid the damage). Once you've used this invincibility you have to wait for it to recharge fully before you can start suffocating yourself again.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Dies in one hit to everything

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

War is a pretty bad timewaster, considering that his other attack has him completely leave the arena. The Mask has never seemed that bad to me though - the actual mask part doesn't have that much health and you can hit it from the side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Man Polyphemus Azazel really snapped the game right open. It had a fairly long charge-up time, but I also had Technology 0.5, that fired as I was charging and did more than enough damage to quickly dispatch anything that wasn't a boss.

Final level: Mega Satan was kindof hilarious. It was Curse of the Unknown so I'm not entirely sure what went down, but I managed to trigger the post-boss music during his first form by doing too much damage to him. The rest of the fight was just him spawning in enemies to calm music and occasionally coming back for a single hit until his final form (which was also set to calm music).

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Nov 9, 2014