Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

vandiar posted:

Anyone find out what the key donation machines pay out? I imagine the reward has to be amazing for that high of a cost

Yeah, I gave all four of my keys to one of those guys, and he spit out a locked chest. What a oval office.

Anyways, to be clear: I know basically none of the kewl secrets about BoI that many people find basic knowledge to play, and find it really hard where others think it's super easy. Just got my second Mom win ever by walking into a... dice room? Random room? I have no idea what happened, but I ended up like this.

I moved my laser star all over the damned place, killing poo poo left and right, it wasn't even fair. I think I know what people are talking about when they say you can get OP combos in BoI; I've never seen one before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Kgummy posted:

Still not sure if 1337 haxr is a code or not.

It might just be something that fits the seed requirements by accident.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Motherfucker posted:

BE WARNED MORTALS: The dice room, if displaying six will reroll the items you have picked up thus far... only do this if you know your current run is doomed!

AND your stats. Don't forget your stats.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Read posted:

Spoon Bender is rad.

But that's a knife?

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

TheModernAmerican posted:

Oh my bad, it was the other battery item. It might have filled up twice but the "orange" second bar is almost identical to the normal color.

Not trying to be a dick here, but you might have some form of mild colorblindness; the orange is quite different from the green, and very obvious.

That, or you're playing with the screen slanted or something.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

shut up I am a smart person who does not make mistakes

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Huzzah! posted:

What annoys me about Cursed Eye is the Black Candle doesn't remove the teleporting from it. It says immunity from curses right there.

Brilliant. I'd be much happier with Cursed Eye if this was a possibility.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

The Bee posted:

Dilpopia

Diplopia

4 times in two posts, I can't handle that much misspelling.

But yeah, It does sound REALLY nice. Although I have had those two runs where I found a Credit Card and didn't get the chance to use it for the whole game, so I imagine that Diplopia will be the same way.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

PantsBandit posted:

Someone should do the math on experimental treatment. I got it twice tonight and both times it was a straight upgrade, and other people have been saying the same thing. It may just be confirmation bias but it seems like it got a big buff to me.

Didn't someone datamining find out it doesn't increase your stats at all? Just shuffle them? If it was true, I'd be interested to know if it changed.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

PantsBandit posted:

According to the wiki, it doesn't do either really. It basically just randomly changes your stats, either increasing or decreasing them. No max on increases, but a max of 3 decreases. Your stats can change in the following ways:

±1 Health.
±1 Damage.
±0.2 Speed.
±0.5 Range.
±0.5 Tears.
±0.2 Shot Speed.
±1 Luck.

So in theory you could have one stat increase, two stat decreases and two increases, etc etc

Wow, that's... For some reason, that annoys me even more than if it just shuffled your stats. Like, it makes the description seem like even more of a lie?

Honestly, I'd be really happy with if it it did what it said on the tin. Just adds a basic (normal pill) increase to all your stats, then takes those stats and shuffles them around to different places, presumably according to a percentile since I assume every stat isn't on a 1-12 scale like health.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Just tried to warp out of the Boss Rush with a Fool card, but the card did nothing. Just a warning, I don't know if other teleport items still work.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

HenryEx posted:

I warped out of Boss Rush with a The Stars card, no problems.

Weird. Maybe just some kind of glitch? I raised the card over my head and everything, no effect.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Toxxupation posted:

Anyways, here's my Pro rear end Pro Tips For Newbies to Binding:

1)Take your time. go through each floor slowly, don't take any risks at all. You'll get enemy patterns down and also, in the process, increase your chances for devil room deals which, where you're at in the game, is the easiest way to ensure a win

2) Play Cain. Play Cain and gamble. Don't spend money on anything else, don't spend keys on stores (until you get the dollar, that is), save all your pennies and wait for an arcade or gambling machine to be available, then sink every available penny you have and hope for the dollar to drop. This is the by-far easiest way to get a winning run, especially when you don't have anything past Mom unlocked. a dollar gives you more than enough pennies to clean out several floors of stores which should itemize you enough for a win

3) take all available devil room deals. Devil Rooms have a high chance of spawning if you haven't taken any red heart damage on the floor and on the boss, which is why you want to take your time going through the floors. Unless a devil room deal would literally kill you to make, take them. Devil Room items require heart trades because they're easily some of the most powerful items in the game, and there's only a couple of them that outright suck (and even then, they're more situational over outright lovely). The basis of winning isaac regularly is being able to trigger devil rooms early and outscaling the difficulty ramp the game has via their trades, so get used to triggering devil rooms and trading. The way to win Isaac is to kill everything before it has a chance to injure you, and devil room items are the easiest way to accomplish that aim. Also, knowing what devil room items do means that you can prioritize your favorites and know what builds work best for you. I severely dislike pretty much any tear upgrade that changes how tears fundamentally "work", so even though i can recognize the strength of brimstone, mom's knife, etc i rarely if ever trade for them because I've found that they gently caress up my run too much to be worth it. Some people swear by brimstone though, and they're not wrong - it's very much a to your tastes thing

4) don't use bombs, except to find the secret rooms/free up blocked in chests/uncover mystery rocks. know how and where secret rooms tend to spawn and bomb for them intelligently. You want secret rooms because they have a decent chance of spawning gambling machines, which is what you want

5) 9 Lives doesn't suck and is, in fact, one of the strongest devil room items in the game. Always get it and learn how to play while running it, because it's incredibly common and thus the easiest Guppy item to get. Guppy breaks runs single-handedly

6) For trinkets, run petrified poop. Play the shell game a lot (as Cain, because you're prioritizing gambling) and, when you unlock counterfeit penny, that'll be your go-to trinket even over petrified poop. For a total newbie petrified poop/counterfeit penny are the two strongest trinkets to get

Now, maybe I'm just a scrub, but a lot of these tips seem... not that good. Devil room items are usually GOOD, but on a vanilla save they certainly aren't "take all of them every time"; A lot of the really good stuff has to be unlocked through challenges. I was amazed at the difference in my Devil Rooms after unlocking some stuff, but it was often a huge bummer to go "what was this item again?" *grab* "Oh yeah, it's the thing that's useless to me." A lot of your comments about Devil Rooms are accurate, I just don't think this advice will make the game easier or more fun. You're telling a new player to get their max health as low as possible, which is good advice for a person who has practiced and knows about the game, but doesn't seem that great early on.

"get nine lives every time it's really good"
Again, this just seems like 'GIT GUD' to me. "You'll die in literally one hit, but do it anyway, lrn2play and you'll have a good time." I rarely take it, because there's a lot of bosses I can't beat without getting hit, and it's super frustrating to have seven or eight runs at a boss and just die like a bitch, starting over each time. You also neglected to point out the main reason WHY it's a good item, namely that it lets you take more devil room items. (Again, this is still quite good, but becomes more of a boon later on when there's more great items in the pool)

You seem to be running on the assumption that having the lowest health is the best way to play, but when you're still learning enemy patterns, I don't think it is. For the same reason, a lot of veteran advice is that the blue soul hearts are flat-out better than red hearts in every way, which is true... but only if you're not getting hit much. Red hearts, which are easily refilled, are good if you're going to hit more than, say, once per floor. To go full soul hearts, you also need to know how to get them. Example: new guy, did you know you can bomb blue flames for a good chance at soul hearts? Seems to be about 50%, so it's usually a good trade, especially when there's a couple of the fires together.

There's a lot of basic poo poo to learn, as well as tricks/obscure knowledge (learn to predict where secret rooms will spawn; you can get several items, like maps, X-Ray Glasses, the miner's hat, and I Can See Forever pills, that will show you where they are so you can start learning the rules) before you should stat getting into intense pro strats - or, at least, that's true for me.

Sorry if I sounded like a dick at all; it honestly wasn't my intention. Some of the info wasn't as complete as it could be, though, and I wanted to be helpful.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

They also regenerate if you finish a room with one half-empty! They're aces.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

CJacobs posted:

It's a singleplayer game.

Ah, another person who forgot that Isaac has a really fun multiplayer mode.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Your Computer posted:

The new character is literally just a vessel for one of the new items, otherwise he's just default.

I don't get this complaint; isn't this true of nearly every character already? Maggie, Samson, Judas, even Isaac with the d6 are all 'the regular gameplay, but with a special item and some stat tweaks.' That's how almost every single character works. Not Azazel or the Lost or Keeper granted, but it's not really something to complain about.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

I feel like so many of these opinions are made by people who would be considered top-tier at that level of mastery at any other game. "Dead Cat is a great item, get it every time"

Sure, it's great if you literally never get hit, but having one hit for all the hardest bosses in the game is generally a death sentence for me, and I've gotten a majority of post-it marks on Hard Mode with all the characters. And if you're never dying with Dead Cat, then why is it so great in the first place?

Ideas that come to mind are:

-So you can take like every devil deal
But you're likely still left with a character with a single heart container, and probably a spare sin heart or two. Even with mighty strength, devil items usually don't keep you from getting hit.

-If you have an easy method of generating soul hearts
You're probably going to win anyways, and the chance of having the rare easy-soul-hearts setup AND finding Dead Cat is pretty niche... and it probably would still leave you in a bad position for fighting a boss after dying, unless your item combo is so sweet it doesn't even need you to go through several rooms.

What's the deal, guys? Let me know what I am apparently missing.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Huh. I have 150 hours of Rebirth logged, and I've only gotten Guppy twice. I'm sure "Well, that's 'cause you never take Dead Cat :smug:" is part of it, but I rarely see cat pieces other than the Paw, and taking Dead Cat and not getting lucky afterwards is basically a failure; I'm not cool enough to beat Satan without getting hit, and ??? is risky.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Jamesman posted:

-That's not a long time.
-You're only playing Rebirth.

Sorry my gaming experience isn't impressive enough for you, Your Majesty. I'll come back when I have 1000+ hours; will I be allowed to be confused about something then?

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

SiKboy posted:

To be fair, you're the one that brought up your 150 hours, so I guess he should be sorry for not respecting your massive achievements, your majesty.

If that's how my statement was interpreted, it wasn't intended to be. I was saying "I've played for 150 hours, which is objectively a decent amount of time to play a game, so it seems weird to hope for Guppy when my experience says it's quite rare."

Jamesman posted:

Afterbirth and Afterbirth+ put a lot more emphasis on soul/black hearts, so getting an item that leaves you with one red heart isn't as big of a concern since you're usually never relying on red hearts in most runs.

Ah, I see. I DO have Afterbirth and Afterbirth+, I just wasn't counting in my hours of original Flash BoI. Rebirth as opposed to standard. But what about what this dude said?

Spergatory posted:

If you just have base Rebirth, Guppy should be easier to come by, as the Red Chest pool contains very little besides Guppy items. Afterbirth polluted that pool with a good bit of trash.

If you're playing Rebirth with no DLC, is gambling on Guppy a better or worse proposition? INQUIRING MINDS WANT TO KNOW

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It doesn't change the fact that the item ranges from insanely horrible. . . to ridiculously good. . . based entirely on chance with zero player input at all. For all its faults the main game doesn't have anything that stupid in it.

Are we talking about the same Binding of Isaac? There's absolutely things that are shite or amazing depending on random chance. There's a ton of items that are only good with other items that you have a random chance of getting. There's the reroll rooms where you could get a game-breaking or game-ruining build depending on chance with no player input. There's the literal dice items, which could give you epic badass items or wet farts.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

"Risk" in the context of BoI always has and should continue to mean "harder challenges for the player to overcome".

You could easily make the argument that it SHOULD. I find a ton of value in those games, and while I disagree, it's a reasonable feeling to want all game to mean a certain kind of extremely fair challenge. But The Binding of Isaac is not and never has been one of those games. I know BoI exists in a strange liminal state that has equal parts clever fair challenge and random mysteries, but it's pretty wrong to say that BoI has nothing that's situational based on chance. Like you're classifying all the unfair, chance-based things in the game that I KNOW you are aware of as aberrations that don't count.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Psychedelicatessen posted:

http://bindingofisaac.com/post/156945248421/109

I wonder what they want people to datamine, or if they're trying to create a wild goose chase

What was this supposed to be?

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Well, the old ARG was on https://www.tumblr.com/register/follow/isisaacdead, right? That's still available if you click on a black bar on the right of the blog. I don't have a tumblr so I can't check, though.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

END CHEMTRAILS NOW posted:

Strong daily today with Brimstone in the first devil deal (don't take Halo before going in), then Tiny Planet available soon after. Dark Bum and Relic gave me so many soul hearts that I threw almost all my health away to get Wishbone to pop on the womb (it never did), and was back up to full health pretty quickly anyway. Clearing the Dark Room gives some good items, like Cricket's Head, Holy Mantle, and Guillotine.

Smelter for permanent Black Lipstick was worth it, since you don't have to replace it with Curved Horn later, and you get plenty of money. Pills are fine, but nothing valuable either.

I didn't take Chaos. I don't know if that was the right decision, but the run was really powerful. 3x Incubus with homing brimstone (from Magician cards) was hilariously good against both Satan and Megasatan.

Why? Does that gently caress with your devil deals in a way I am unaware of?

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Presented without comment:

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Those are just random; those squares could be any number of a selection of things. And yes, there's ways to fly and to fill in pits, you're unlikely not to notice them when they come up.

Edit: To clarify about the first part of my post: The preset room layouts often have special squares, which could be many things; like a line of rocks barring you from treasure, but one specific rock has a chance to be a poop, allowing you entry, or a keyblock so you have to pay a key to get in. Often the golden poops in annoying places are one of those. A place that has a 60% chance to be an empty block, a 35% chance to be a rock or what have you, and a 5% chance to be a golden poop, for taunting purposes. One of the main reasons flight is useful is the ability to actually grab your extra loot.

Further edit: This entire system was broken for the majority of the game's existence, up until I believe the Afterbirth+ expansion. Edmund McMillen, the developer, just never noticed it wasn't working, and other people looking at the room data just assumed it was a cut feature.

John Lee fucked around with this message at 03:25 on May 5, 2018

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Nah, waiting around for a few minutes in a room will open the doors.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A lot of the lovely stuff got changed pretty quickly, I think it feels really fun to play now.

Antibirth is also good as heck; the only complaint I can really lay against it is that a few bosses don't feel very Isaac-like, requiring different mechanics outside of the dodging-and-shooting skillset, but it's still absolutely worth playing.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

you know dude

nerf the swag

the swag need to be nerfed

nerfswagger

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Cobalt60 posted:

the common occurrence of reaching floor 4/5 with literally zero tear power/speed improvements. Ain't my kind of fun I guess.

For me, that is quite uncommon - and even when it does happen, I've almost certainly picked up alternate methods of attack.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Yup. Unless you're going for something specific on the floor killing the boss is all you need to do. This is why the Emperor card is so useful sometimes.

And also because fighting the boss on a floor first is a greater chance of a devil room - nothing says you have to leave the floor after fighting the boss, just go back and clear the floor afterwards with your new power.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

John Murdoch posted:

Not really true. Taking red health damage from an enemy or hazard (including cursed room door and sac room spikes) will harm your deal chance, otherwise you can save the boss for last just fine. In fact, bombing keepers (shop or secret rooms) and beggars can raise your deal chance so it can be worth clearing to find those and bump up the odds a little.

Yeah, but even if you're a decent player, going through a entire floor and then the boss is more likely to make you get hit than just fighting the boss. [Citation needed], yeah, I don't have any data, but beyond like absolute top-tier players, I'm pretty confident in the assertion.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Started an Eden run, ended up with the Bible, the Goat Head, and Equality.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Ariong posted:

A Simple Guide to Secret Characters

There are unlockable characters in this game that do not appear in the character select screen until they are unlocked. That would be all well and good if you unlocked them over the course of normal gameplay, and the first one you do. However, two of the others have very obscure unlock methods and while technically there are hints in the game as to the process of unlocking them, it's honestly pretty unlikely that you would discover and solve these mysteries. This is a shame, since all of the secret characters are very unique and cool. I've detailed the processes for unlocking these characters below. They are behind spoiler bars but even if you like discovering things organically I highly recommend having a look. These characters get discussed freely in this thread anyway. Other spoilers are minimized.

???
Unlock method: Defeat Mom's Heart ten times.

Sorry for the double post, I thought those little guides were worth typing out since all that info is so useful and very easy to overlook.

You, uh, really think this is too obscure and not unlocked during normal gameplay?

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Ariong posted:

No, I think you unlock it during normal gameplay, which is why I said that.

Hmmm... Well, I hate to admit it, but the story checks out.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Keeper: Triple shot, two hits
Lost: Single shot, one hit, incentivizes you to sit in a rock plinking at enemies

Keeper wins big time for me, no question.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

watho posted:

the lost starts with holy mantle and gets free deals with the devil. genuinely one of the best and most fun to play characters in the game

Most of my playtime with the Lost has been without the Holy Mantle unlocked, actually!

Ariong posted:

Once the Mantle is unlocked, I’ll take Lost over Keeper any day. The Lost may only be able to take one hit per room, but between the flight and the workable speed it’s a hell of a lot easier to avoid that one hit as Lost than it is to avoid two hits as keeper. Plus you say “one shot” as if it’s a bad thing, but actually nailing all three projectiles on each hit just isn’t feasible. Your damage output will be much higher as the Lost.

Nailing all three hits isn't feasible every time, no, but it means you're almost certainly going to hit the enemy with every shot, usually with two and sometimes one or three. And you know you're never going to have a slog of a boss because you didn't pick up any damage upgrades, because big boss hitboxes are where multishots shine. You say I'll have much higher DPS as the Lost, but I definitely don't. I'm not, like, theorycrafting or whatever, I genuinely have higher DPS with the Keeper, easier room clears, and find him noticeably easier to play. After all the moaning in this thread about how it's the shittiest character and everybody saying he sucks to play, consider just cheating, put him away forever after you unlock him, etc., I was expecting it to be a horrendous slog, but I genuinely think he's fun and reasonably strong. Yeah, I wish he was a touch faster, but any long run is likely to get a lot of speed, not uncommonly too much speed, and having fast enemies rushing you means you'll definitely chunk them with all three of your shots.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Should we be trying to figure out what's up with the hidden links in every Repentance blog post? If anybody missed them, every one (AFAIK) has contained one character with a hidden link to some kind of image or something, I'm presuming this is a guide for unlocking a new character or somethin', but it's all too much effort for me to put in all on my own. I'll find all the links and compile them in a post if people are interested, though!

edit: Then again, I couldn't find one in the latest one, so who knows for sure!

John Lee fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Mar 6, 2021

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Holy poo poo, I am loving this new Curse of the Maze.

For anyone who hasn't seen it: Instead of moving you around the level, it moves the rooms, kind of transplanting them in the place of other rooms.

edit: wtf it's not doing that anymore

was it some other effect? But I had the curse... I'm so confused and disappointed

John Lee fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Mar 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Probably just a weird interaction with the April Fools stuff, don't worry until tomorrow.