Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

There's something I wanted to ask to all who bought Repentance: have they changed the early game to be less of a slog? I loved this game but I reached a point where the early floors were a boring slog with enemies that took too long to die and basically just reseted for some power up item to increase my damage, and was hoping they did something to fix that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

drat, that sucks. I'm not expecting to get a broken combo on floor 1, but it feels like enemies on the early floors had more HP than they should. Guess I'll wait for bugfixes and such before getting it.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Chin Strap posted:

You must kill mom once achievement free and then you can run mods and still get achievements

Wait really!?

That's great, then I'll get the expansion after mod support comes back and I put a mod that helps mitigate the early floor slog.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

You know, reading how Hard Mode is apparently real Hard now, I think I might try and get at the very least all Hard marks on the Lost before I buy. I only have Hush, Mega Satan, Greedier and Delirium left. I guess if you unlock Godhead before buying the DLC you get to keep it right?

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Um, so I just opened the game, and I'm having a real weird bug?

It shows up this for me, the old man is just The Keeper and the blank spaces are Apollyon and The Forgotten, I can play with them and their sprites show fine, but the Keeper looks like an old man and their starting items are missing sprites and names.

Did the game accidentally revert to Afterbirth? Iirc the old man was a beta Keeper or something. I didn't buy Repentance yet so it can't be that.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

John Lee posted:

Probably just a weird interaction with the April Fools stuff, don't worry until tomorrow.

...man, I'm a real April Fool, third joke today that actually got me.

I guess it's mostly we celebrate our equivalent to April Fools on December so I don't second guess everything I read.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Aaargh, was having a good run as the Lost for once (got Tech X, Magic Mushroom and double Blue Mushroom so I could spam mini circles for max damage) and I even got both keys for Mega Stan but then I reached Isaac and he loving spammed his beams on the side I was and died. I would be less salty if I didn't have terrible luck with Angel Rooms, if Angel Rooms had better items for the Lost and I didn't enter 2 Angel Rooms without bombs.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I'm wondering, what's a generally good build to go for Hush/Delirium as the Lost? I managed to beat Mega Satan through a ridiculously broken build (Ipecac+Epic Fetus+Libra+Mr Me!+Rotten Baby + Host Hat + Restock+...) where I litreally teared through a health bar every shot, but I wisely didn't go to Hush because the armor would have hosed me over. This is in AB+ btw.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Nvm on the whole Lost thing, it turns out the game decided to give me Tech X + Sacred Heart from an Angel Room AND the Blank Card/Jera/Credit Card/whatever lets you have 2 card/runes. If I had managed to get Restock I'd have pretty much won the game, I think I wasted all my luck in existance.

Killed Husk with minimal problems and then died to Delirium because gently caress his patterns, revived thanks to Guppy's collar and then died again because gently caress Delirium. At least I don't ever have to deal with Husk as the Lost again, thank god.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Finally, I did it, Delirium beaten with the Lost. Turns out all I needed was to get Dead Cat and Guppy's Collar on the first Devil Room, giving me 9+ lives minimum :v: (That and Stopwatch to activate easy mode if I get hit).

Surprisingly the MVP of the run was Angry Fly, since it dealt constant damage against Hush and most forms of Delirium. Also got Blank Card early on but literally no Jera runes until the Void, which would have made things much faster.

Now that I've gotten Godhead I can finally ignore Hard Mode until I do literally everything else and buy Repentance since it won't force me to reunlock Godhead by doing the new completition marks in Hard Mode.

....right? :ohdear:

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Augus posted:

Unfortunately that's just what happens when you sync your save file with your steam achievements, you get all the unlocks but your completion marks don't update.
You can use this if you want to track what objectives you still need to do for unlocks http://theriebel.de/tboirah/ (you can deselect Repentance achievements if you want to avoid spoilers)

Wait, so if you don't get your AB+ save correctly updated and do that you lose all completition marks?

I hope that the other method I've seen of renaming your save files to rep_ so the game reads them doesn't do that if I have problems when I buy Repentance.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

So on my "Try and do some things that might be harder on Repentance before buying it" I decided to try the April Fools challenge and it was awful. Then I decided to complete XXXXXXXL (not sure why I never did it earlier) to unlock Gold Hearts and it turns out that makes the challenge a joke because coins can now be Gold Hearts and as a result when you break a Gold Heart it turns into 5-6 coins which can be hearts as well, making it a joke since you get healed every time you lose a heart even if only a little bit.

That and getting homing tears because even with that gently caress the Bloat.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Wait, so even if you already beat Hush multiple times you still have to kill him 3 extra times to get to the new stuff?

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

PIZZA.BAT posted:

it was immediately available for me

Oh cool, I actually also tried doing the "Beat It Lives with Lazarus without dying in hard mode" and was hoping that would keep the related unlock when I buy it.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Infinity Gaia posted:

The only thing (most) characters get for Hard Mode completions is stupid co-op babies anyways, gently caress that. Especially now that we have real full co-op. You really only need the Heart/It Lives with Apollyon, The Forgotten and Lazarus, and everything for The Lost. I guess supposedly there's a new unlock for every Hard Mode note for every character but hahaha there's no way I'm ever doing that with Tainted Lost anyways so gently caress that.

There's two actually, one for every normal character and one for all characters including the alts

The first one is an active item that gives you lots of damage, invincibility and contact damage

The second one teleports you to a room with EVERY item in the game and lets you pick one. So cool in theory, not worth it in practice since you've pretty much unlocked everything by then.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

A question for people who have been playing Repentance for a while: is there anything beyond Hard Mode in general you'd say got harder after getting Repentance? Wondering if to finish a few things before buying the DLC. Already unlocked Godhead, did Lazarus on Hard without dying and some challenges just in case.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I don't really mind the hard mode marks, there's only 2 unlocks related to that beyond Godhead and the rest are babies, so it's stuff for when I've done everything else (even if it would be more time effective to do them as you do other things). But I guess I should finish things like beating Mega Satan with all characters, Greedier and the challenges that rely on curses.

...I'm gonna be trapped forever at Ultra Hard, I'm seeing it :negative:

Edit: Oh yeah, there's the fact the new items seem pretty cool, like Psy FLy which makes Hush and Delirium a joke in terms of dodging. And some of the new synergies.

v No problem on that, already unlocked.

GiantRockFromSpace fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Apr 6, 2021

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

PostNouveau posted:

If you hold R long enough, you can do anything

R can't help when you have 4 undispellable curses on you.

Anyways, thanks for the opinions. I wouldn't say I'm totally bad (I'm comfortable in doing Hush the honest way, although I'd prefer not to take forever) but I'd like to get off things that might be harder before I plunge in (even if I'll wait until mods cause the extended description one is hella good).

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Einwand posted:

You might also want to get that one "break the game" achievement before upgrading to Repentance, I have no idea how you would ever get it now.

Checking out I already got it.

On other news, apparently the old art of "complaining in dead forums" works like a charm! Managed to beat Ultra Hard, reseted until I got Holy Mantle on Basement, decided to keep the run since I got devil room on Basement. Caves had Polyphemos, Sinus Infection AND Godhead in the Angel Room. Run went without a hitch, except when I was scared on Dark Room with 2 and a half heart and tried beating rooms to get more items. Turned out I only needed Marked. Now my Samson starts with a meh trinket! :confuoot:

(Also discovered some funny bugs with Marked: Trinity Shield flips the gently caress out and starts spinning like a record and The Chariot will let you keep shooting tears but only to where the mark was when activated):

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

flatluigi posted:

beginning to think that people complaining about no longer being able to break the game were just overreacting a bit

And you can perfectly play the game without a game breaking combination (save for certain characters and challenges). I just did a Mega Satan run with Magdalene where I relied exclusively on Epic Fetus. Which yeah it's an amazing item but the constant dodging my own attacks, lack of stat ups and some terrible choices (Technology 0.5+My Mirror) made the run a drag, and I probably only survived thanks to pretty flies to defend myself with. And then died to my own bomb in the Void.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Psychedelicatessen posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/themoddingofisaac/comments/3t3lp5/how_to_use_cheat_engine_to_max_out_the_greed/

You should be able to do this, but set the final number to Holy Mantle Lost minus 1.

Isn't the latest version of Cheat Engine filled with malware/adware on the installer? I have been trying to find a clean/portable version but can't find it anywhere.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

..btt posted:

I'm no expert on Cheat Engine, but bear in mind its use is to inject values into other processes memory, i.e. it could legitimately be called malware or detected as such when used for its intended purpose.

No, I already know that, but I've read it forces you to install adware too with the program, not that the program itself is malware.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Man, I'm mad. I was actually having fun on the BRAINS challenge thanks to Chaos giving me Book of the Dead, which was a lot of fun having so many orbitals I could just tank the shots and loads of minions, and a Devil Tail so I had a supply of Black Hearts... but a trinket spawned just infront of Mom's door so I accidentaly picked it and lost devil tail, and I never got the Book charged in time for rooms with lots of enemies so I eventually started losing hearts thanks to the drat brains and lost at Isaac :argh:

On that note, what items tha aren't the usual Brimstone-Mom's Knife-Tech X-Sacred Heart you personally think are run winners? I find Sinus Infection kinda busted if you have a decent tear rate, the damage just piles up and it has no downsides.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Finally got BRAINS! down. Basically lucked into A Quarter to buy Chaos, which eventually lead to Sad Bombs (so the brains did extra damage), Book of Revelations for free hearts and, for the surprising MVP of the run, Bumbo! It turns out when the bosses you have to fight don't move much having a familiar that can follow them and deal constant damage is a blessing.

Also he gave me tons of batteries, so Bumbo is indeed a good boy.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Well, just discovered exiting just as you die apparently keeps your win-streak? Otherwise I'd be real pissed since I'm trying to go for the "Get a 5 win streak with different characters each time" and dying as Azazel against Isaac feels real bad.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

...oh, great. Forgot using R resets the win streak. Welp, time to do it all over again! :dumbgun:

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

goferchan posted:

They reduced that achievement to 3 which is pretty reasonable!

Somehow I had read that when checking the achievements and then completely forgot about. Guess I'll go try for some other unlocks (like the Victory Lap ones since I never did more than one) and then I'll get Repentance once I'm happy with what I've got.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Ended up going for the 5 win streak since I already had three and managed to finish it with Cain and Lilith (and also got Bandage Girl since somehow I never got her with Lilith). But now It's the Key it's kicking my rear end, having so fewer items thanks to not being able to pick up bombs or coins makes poo poo much harder, and since the Lost is the only character who can take Devil Deals without risk I'm at risk of getting an stupid room and dying (like, 3 times...)

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

The Moon Monster posted:

So do we have to re-unlock godhead (and I guess mega blast) now that there are more completion marks?

People have been saying they didn't have to, but you need hard mode completition on all characters for 2 new unlocks so you still have to do the new content (I'll be able to check once I buy repentance).

On that note, finally got the "Only pick up Keys" after lots of resets with the Lost, Quad Shot+Death Touch+Propagnosia+Succubus gave me all damage I wanted and Book of the Dead gave all protection I needed. The Victory Laps after that felt cathartic until I hit a Mimic and died for some reason :v: . Ah, well, I used the seed that made consumables dissapear in 7s just in case and it was annoying me.

I'd say all I have left is get to 4 Victory Laps and beat Mega Satan with all characters and then I'll buy Repentance and enjoy all the new stuff. Since every other unlock I have left is either completition or do X thing a number of times.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

No Wave posted:

Beating Mega Satan with all characters *might* be easier in Repentance because Angel rooms spawn consistently now. I'm not sure if he was buffed between versions though.

I'm guessing you have to do it with at least some of the new Characters and Mega Satan only gives coop babies for individual unlocks so I'd prefer to preunlock Mega Blast.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

The Moon Monster posted:

It feels like he might have gotten the boss armor mechanic. I've had some pretty busted runs where it still took quite awhile to kill him. But maybe the runs just weren't as busted as I thought, hard to say.

Oh yeah, checking the wiki he has now armor around the level of Ultra Greed. Definitively taking him down with every character now (not sure if I want to suffer with Hard Mode though, it would mean less clears later but I obviously want Repentance sooner than later...)

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Fun fact: if you find a room with 2 Angel Statues and bomb them at the same time... they only drop one key piece. Thank god I found Dad's Key at the Chest or else bye bye Mega Satan as ???.

And oh god I realized just now I either have to beat Mega Satan with Afterbirth+ Keeper, or beat Mega Satan with armor and Jacob&Esau, which everyone says are completely unfun for Mega Blast :negative:

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Finally, Mega Satan down with Afterbirth+ Keeper. Got Piggy bank and Head of the Keeper for defense so I had enough coin spawns in case I got hit and Ludovico surprisingly helped (specially since I got Ipecac and Chocolate Milk at the Chest, which made it even more powerful). Fun fact: the Bookworm transformation made Ludovico glitch and be constantly spawning an extra tear which made it look like one of the small tears was teleporting.

I also got the chance to do Delirium thanks to I'm Drowsy. Now I feel dumb for not trying to go for ??? since I had the chance. Well, only 5 Mega Satan clears left, and it's all on less annoying characters (Eve, Samson, Lazarus, Apollyon, Forgotten) so it shouldn't be that much of a pain.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Man, I saw Pandora's Box and decided "Hey, I could go and get the unlock for using it in Dark Room on the way to MSatan."

Then the game gave me Blank Card+Chaos Card and how can I say no to the biggest "I win" button in the game even after Repentance.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I have no problems aiming it? You just inmediately move a little in the direction of the boss and throw it, unless it's a boss that moves a lot in which case you wait a bit.

And I'm honestly fine with not being able to kill Delirium and the Beast with it in exchange for being usable against everything else. hell, even after the Blank Card nerf it's only a 6 room charge so you can have it up for every boss.

I mean, I get it's rare as gently caress, I've only seen it twice or thrice in 168 hours but I still think it's the Top 5 best items in the game for sheer "free completition mark" power.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Finally unlocked Mega Blast, last run was Apollyon with Dr Fetus+Ipecac+Mega Blast, so I was spamming bombs that OHKO'd everything they touched without damaging me, Mega Satan would eat a bomb and go to the next phase of adds.

Not sure if there's anything I should go for before buying Repentance (besides Greedier but I hate that mode), since I already got an early Godhead and Mega Blast and most misc achievements, besides 2 victory lap ones.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Eh, it's not that hard. Just did it, you conserve most items between runs so if you get 2 Steam Sales and Restock (in Afterbirth+) it's GG, even with the extra conditions. I was basically killing everything in one hit after I got rolling. Also the fisrt lap unlock is required for another unlock so technically there's more to that.

Now, besides character unlocks all I'm missing are get 3 battery items at the same time, sleep on 10 beds, get 10 tears up things in one run, Rubber Cement 5 times and every daily challenge unlock. On that note, according to the wiki the 5-win streak in dailies unlock got changed into "have a streak score over 0" or it's just an extra condition they added?

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Ended up buying Repentance already, no problems on the import. The three things to note:

-Wow, the lightning and reflections upgrade is significant. Burning Basement and Flooded Caves look much better now.

-Nope, the "Beat It Lives on Hard with Lazarus without dying" doesn't carry over. At least the new bullet speeds don't seem that bad...

-I've only met Baby Plum for 10 minutes but if anything happened to them, I would kill everyone in this forum and then myself. Noooo I don't want to kill them 10 times game :(

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

watho posted:

not killing them still counts towards the achievement

*lowers gun* Okay, I guess everyone lives for another day.

I'm willing to sacrifice a boss drop in exchange of never hurting Baby Plum, besides Plum Flute seems cool as an active slot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

2 more things I have to say:

1) I checked the Bestiary, letting Baby Plum go doesn't count as a kill.

2) I know this because my Hard Lazarus run to unlock Bethany had a Leech hone on Baby Plum, forcing me to kill them :negative: