Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

I've been trying to get some victory lap loops going to unlock Rerun. Last night I was on my second lap when I took a random pill on Depths 2. Turns out it was a Telepill, and for maybe the second time ever it popped me over to the error room. Oopsies, no Mom fight means no negative, run over, great.

Then I started a new run, and by Caves I had Tarot Cloth, Polydactyly, and two Yera runes. Then I got Flat Penny, ensuring I'd have enough keys. How could I pass up chest with that setup? I couldn't.

...so I still don't have Rerun unlocked. But I killed Mega Satan by holding the fire button down for half a second, then putting the controller down and letting whatever crazy Lacryphagy/Jacob's Ladder/Cricket's Body/Fruitcake/etc. abomination of a build I'd put together fill the entire screen with a rainbow of pain for the rest of the fight. Worth it, I think. But gently caress Telepills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Wildtortilla posted:

I think part of unlocking Rerun is loving yourself over a few times while in the midst of sure fire runs through it. Over the past week I posted two of my gently caress ups on my way to Rerun. Hang in there. You'll get it!

I got it tonight, but not without trying to gently caress it up for myself again. I had a good tear build going, Holy Shot plus Parasite and a pretty high tear rate, and then the game offered me Fire Mind. I thought hey, this is really dumb but I'm gonna do it anyhow. So I did. And the next floor I got Pyromaniac. That was great (aside from occasionally skipping rooms because I kept exploding myself through them) until lap 3, when I lost Pyro. Thankfully I had Guppy at that point, and Lazarus' Rags, so I had a few lives to play with.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Bethany + The Candle is pretty fun. The orbitals only last for the duration of the room and candle shots do a lot of damage, so it's not a big deal to lose them, and soul hearts let you spam fires when needed.

Also Almond Milk + Brimstone gives you a nearly-instant-shooting, 360-degree aimable firehose that is pretty great despite the low damage.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Some of the interactions seem kind of arbitrary. Like, floor 1 I got Ipecac, then Dr. Fetus on floor 2. That's great because it makes me immune to my own explosions and the Fetus bombs just blow up whenever they hit something instead of waiting. Good stuff. But later on I got Tech X and uh...anything touching the laser ring caused a bomb explosion - one I wasn't immune to. And I mean anything: a rock, a non-destroyable thing, or even the edge of the drat room. Shooting a tear/bomb while I was within a block's width of a wall behind me caused an explosion because the tech ring was wider than Isaac. I did so much self damage because of those secondary explosions and it felt like a real oversight.

Despite that, I got through Mausoleum for the first time because the damage was just plain crazy and I was getting way more health drops than I should've. Fun run, just...weird.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

goferchan posted:

Speaking of great runs, holy poo poo Psy Fly is stupid. I picked up Bot Fly a few times and thought the projectile blocking was neat, but Psy Fly is that x100. I just beat Hush taking only one hit, and that was because I forgot about his sky beam phase. (Please don't tell me there's an achievement for no-hitting him)

Both of my corpse Mom kills have been due to that little purple fucker acing his way through 90% of the garbage trying to kill me, though I guess Dry Baby helped on my Az run. It's really strong. Probably my favorite of the new drops I've had so far.

My Azaezel run was amazing, I took a ? item in an item room and it was Ludovico, then I got Proptosis the next floor and had a room-spanning death ring.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

I found an annoying bug with the second to last secret boss.

Got to Dogma for the first time thanks to a fun Mom's Knife run. I had 9 Lives and pretty low health. I got the killing blow on Dogma just as an angel feather took my last half-heart of health. The screen misted over with static like it does when Dogma dies and I thought it was going to credit me with the win. But nope, it respawned me outside the room...and the static effect stayed. I tried the fight three times with basically 95% opacity TV static on my screen but eventually gave up. It seems winnable without taking a hit, but not if I can't see poo poo - and especially when the boss and its attacks are the same color/pattern as the static screen.

Oh well, at least I unlocked alt-Eden and I can come back another time. Just...annoying.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Bomb beggar gave me Mama Mega on a Bethany run and well, using Mama gives you 10 (I think; it was a LOT) gold bomb-looking orbitals. When they extinguish they drop a golden troll bomb, so you've suddenly got a constantly-detonating thing flying around the room, bouncing off of tears and its own physics.

That was really, uh, "fun" on the Mega Satan fight. Still got the win though.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Ran into a somewhat busted interaction on Bethany. Yeah, shocker, but: picked up Brittle Bones, which converted all of my health to bone hearts. Then I got Guppy's Paw. I had no red health to convert, but the use button spawned an orbital anyhow. I got up to 8, and any time one died I could just mash use to spawn a new one for free, as many times as needed. The tears fired were unremarkable, but hey, free orbitals are pretty great.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Decided to try a Maggy run and see which way my items told me to go (hadn't done Mother or Beast yet on her). First item was Soy Milk, which I took against my better judgment. First floor curse room gave me Guppy's Eye and Tail. First devil deal gave me Guppy's Head and the Guppy transform. I got another lucky break with Tears Up and Vurp pills - I'm not sure if the pills let you break cap or what, but I kept gaining tear rate with them even when Coat Hanger did nothing. Ended up with a tear rate around 30. Later on in a shop I picked up Hive Mind, but I didn't really need it - turns out if you spawn eleventy billion flies it doesn't matter if they do 3.6 damage each.

I managed to get my damage up to around three toward the end. It wasn't the fastest Beast fight I've ever seen but it wasn't even remotely scary. I still don't care much for Soy Milk but it was definitely great that run.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Augus posted:

getting sword on a tainted azazel run was funny because it just completely overwrites all the character’s gimmicks lol

biggest problem is that the sword makes my already-stupid gameplay turn into completely mindless unga bunga button mashing. I just want to hit things with my sword :saddumb:

I've lost two Bethany Mom runs to that drat thing. The most recent one, I opened an Alabaster Box on a floor with Curse of the Blind, picked up both items, and went from 12 damage, high tear rate hemolacria to melee range. I made it to Mom but couldn't whittle her down at melee range before taking way too much damage from tears, some bullshit spawning-stuff-inside-me moves, and one or two misjudged DDR moves. I've come to actively hate the sword and will probably never take it again. It's as much a synergy killer as Mom's Knife without being able to throw it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

I think I'm done with Greedier Mode. Every time I try to start a run with Bethany or any other character with orbitals, without loving fail, enemies spawn inside me and I lose 30 waves' worth of wisp creation to a stupid mechanic they could have coded out in five minutes if they wanted. It's unavoidable because enemies can spawn nearly anywhere, and it makes me rage quit every time. So gently caress it. Whenever I get around to finding a save editor I'll unlock all of the Greedier items plus Keeper and go on with my life.