Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I was just on a run where I was at 1 damage until the last floor when I walked into a room with a red dice icon on the map and randomly got like 10 items. Anyone know what the deal with that is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I just got brimstone, ludovico technique and contact lense at the same time. It gives you a giant permanent steerable brimstone donut that blocks shots and tears through anything in a matter of seconds. I completely destroyed the boss rush, I'm just sad I hadn't unlocked Sheol yet and didn't get a devil room after mom's heart.

Is there some trick to getting Judas? Guide says to beat The Womb, but I've gotten Utero like 7 times in a row now instead.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Ipecac + fly spawning familiar + bigger blue flies and spiders + a bunch of damage upgrades = Blue flies that can 3-shot Isaac.

that was pretty fun.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Picking up a Chaos Card on the first floor, carrying it through ten floors and then one-shotting the final boss with it is probably the most satisfying feeling in the game.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Oxyclean posted:

I'm pretty sure 'Hematemesis ' is also neutral or considered good because I've got them with the PHD. They have situations where they are useful though. Apparently using one in one of the top secret rooms with the sin or faith hearts will cause it to spawn those instead of red hearts.

R U A Wizard really shouldn't be a make the positive pill sound.

Similarly, if you find the top secret room with a bunch of normal hearts any effect that spawns soul hearts or black hearts will spawn normal hearts instead :toot: So if you want to use it as a Dark Bum feeding frenzy be sure to leave the room before he starts popping out hearts.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Kurtofan posted:

Tammy's Head is completely overpowered with Azazel.

If you find The Ludovico Technique as Azazel that's pretty much a win right there.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I've had a few challenge runs that I've beat entirely because I lucked into a dice room and rolled into something that wasn't terrible.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Isaac is waaay easier than satan. I find him easier than any single stage of satan, even.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

tinaun posted:

Here are the achievement stats for rebirth.

So far,

70% beat mom
57% beat mom's heart
19% unlocked it lives
5.7% got the polaroid
3% have golden god
0.1% have plat god (for comparason, the original binding of isaac has about 2.5% plat god)

The 'average' player on steam has beat mom's heart twice, unlocked everybody but sampson and the lost, and donated 30-40 cents to the shop.

That's pretty impressive considering if you look at a typical game's achievements it seems like only 60% of players even press "New Game".

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Just had a super easy run the gave me my first Chest attempt and clear. I was playing as Azazel and found Thunder Thighs in the first item room, one of the rocks in the adjacent room had a hidden passage which gave me :siren:FIRST FLOOR PRAYER CARD:siren: I managed to finish the game with max hp, despite making four devil deals. Almost accidentally picked up a dead cat on womb 2, though.

Later, I picked up technology 1 without thinking. It solved Azazel's range problem but the rate of fire was super slow. Still 2 shotted just about any normal enemies, and I had picked up a little brimstone earlier so no biggie. A few floors later I found Chocolate Milk, and apparently chocolate milk + technology = crazy rate of fire. Turned me into a laser machine gun.

I bought a starter deck, and since I cracked so many skulls I managed to find 2 jokers and a chaos card. I was able to find a total of 3 devil rooms, 1 angel room and The Krampus. The angel room just had 3 soul hearts, which was disappointing.

On Womb 2 I found a second chaos card and swapped my prayer card out for a crystal ball I got from the top secret room fortune machine. I beat It Lives easily, and 1-shot Isaac with one of my chaos cards.

I also had over 50 each of bombs/keys/pennies at this point.

Once I got to The Chest I used the crystal ball to map the place and it also popped out a Sun card. I was so sure of victory at this point I started playing pretty sloppily and was at low health by the time I got to the boss. So I walked in, and immediately tossed my chaos card diagonally past him! For some reason I had just assumed they only flew in cardinal directions, rather than using the same trajectory as tears. I was able to heal up with my sun card and beat him (didn't seem much tougher than Isaac) but if I hadn't found that sun card, or maybe if I picked up the fetus in a jar I had found a room earlier, it probably would have been the ultimate YASD.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Nov 13, 2014

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Cryohazard posted:

No. :( Tried it and it doesn't work.

Really? I tried it a few days ago and it totally worked. (pyromaniac + kamikaze)

I guess it wouldn't for ??? since it only heals red hearts.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Power of Pecota posted:

Also I don't know what it is about shielded tears but as great as the item is I only get it in runs with absolute garbage everywhere else. Bleh.

You know what they don't go well with? Ipecac. It pretty much reverses the effect letting enemies block your shots.

I just had a run where I dice roomed into Ipecac, Loki Horns, Shielded Tears and some massive amount of tears up. Thankfully I also got the wafer and whatever makes the first hit in a room do no damage. I'd just dash into a room, alpha strike with Tammy's Head and let my rotten baby and 4 fly familiars mop up.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I thought I was being so smart using the holding onto a passage rune until Womb 2 as ???. "I'll finally unlock the D6!" I thought. I pop the rune, jump down the hatch, and ~SHEOL~ displays at the top of the screen :suicide: I guess it makes sense since you're going down. Does that rune/the shovel always lead to Sheol if used on womb 2?

Oh well, got the forget me now which seems pretty cool.

Do the My Little Unicorn effect items still let you take Devil Deals for free? I remember doing that right after the original launched but IIRC they patched it out.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Nov 14, 2014

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Logan 5 posted:

So I'm assuming that if you're The Lost and you get an item that when you die turning you into another character any wins after that count as that character right, not the Lost? I've been trying to legit get the Lost off the ground and Judas' Shadow didnt spawn me with any hearts like the Lost, but Lazarus' Rags spawned me with one and I can pick up soul hearts now. If I can use this to cheese the achievements I definitely will because I'm not having much luck so far, but it'd be nice to know if I'm just wasting my time. Anybody know?

The revive as so-and-so items turn you into the character you revived as for unlock purposes, unfortunately. 1-UP and dead cat still work, though.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

RatHat posted:

So the Chaos card is pretty nuts. It one-shots bosses(though it might not insta-kill bosses with multiple forms) and can destroy rocks if you really need it to. And the Black card works with it.

I really like the starter deck since it lets me hold a chaos card in reserve until the final boss. I just beat family man by clearing the cathedral in 5 seconds with emperor and chaos card. I had Krampus head for everything else.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Drone_Fragger posted:

Like, if you have the dice and get soymilk and then roll everything else for damage I guess it'd be okay, but getting soymilk without any damage upgrades afterwards basically ends up with you failing to kill the duke of flies because you can't kill his flies before they kill you.

On the head trauma challenge I had soy milk, tiny planet, death's touch, blood clot, iron bar, lump of coal, dark matter and my reflection. I was surrounded by a massive swarm of scythes that could 1 or 2 shot bosses. So if you have those other items soy milk is good, maybe pick it up then.

AHungryRobot posted:

even with pyromania kamikaze is really underwhelming. subpar damage and practically no range.

The point of that combo isn't offense, it's becoming virtually unkillable.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

goferchan posted:

how about PS4?

R2 to swap cards/pills. Not sure how to drop trinkets on PS4, though.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

You know what doesn't synergize well with Soy Milk? Monstro's Lung. You charge up really fast, but you fire the same number of bullets and they all do soy milk level damage.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Yodzilla posted:

And Crack The Sky takes what, four charges? It's ludicrous.

Seriously, compare it to a Krampus Head. Way more damage, you can actually aim it and it takes one less charge.

It would actually be sort of worth holding on to if it only took 1 charge.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The double adversary rooms in the chest and the dark room are total run killing bullshit. I'd rather have a random mega satan room.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

AnonSpore posted:

I like how this game has been fukken datamined and still nobody has the foggiest clue what the mystery sack does.

I think it influences the drops you get upon clearing a room somehow. I was getting multiple item drops from room clears on my last run and the only items I had that would influence that are the mystery sack and a full bar of luck.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

AnonSpore posted:

So this is a cool interaction that only works because the rocks here continually wedge you against the beggar without you having to move. Guaranteed devil item for just one/half a heart if you've got the leaf, and it's a fairly common room in the womb too.

This also works almost as well with other items that make you invulnerable.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

90sLurker posted:

When Life Gives You Lemons, You Make...MEAT BOY!

I finished Challenge 12 last night. I was on Basement II and it looked like there were two shops. Nope, one of those locked doors was a Library with the Book of Revelations and the Book of Shadows. Goodbye Lemon Mishap, hello Book of...Revelations. Lemme guess, I'm a dumbass for not taking along the Book of Shadows, especially since the challenge starts you off with the 9 volt and the Habit.

Still, I was able to use the Book of Rev. to get the game to take the lemons back and give me 3 Cubes of Meat. Plus Brimstone. Plus Guppy's Head on the Depths II, in a challenge that starts you off with the 9 volt and the Habit. Yeah, even I pulled off the Mom kill.

Now I get to joke about being in the top 7.3% of Rebirth players that has the Card Against Humanity achievement, despite being a spike-dancing klutz with questionable taste in literature.

I was actually surprised how good lemon mishap was when doing that challenge. Totally carried me.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Just got my hard mode Delirium clear as The Lost so now I can never fight him again on anything but the most broken of runs.

Speaking of broken runs I recently did Greedier with The Forgotten an ended up rerolling myself into a god using the D infinity. The final effect had my character replaced with what I can only describe as a swastika made of scythes. They weren't the Death's Touch scythe, but some other graphic with a straight blade and staff at right angles to eachother, four of them joined at the center. Anyone know what effect caused that? I had something like dodeca-shot so whenever I swung my club there was a uneven ring of slashes all around me.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Is there some trick to making bedrooms appear or is it complete luck of the draw? The only things I have left for 100% are the Suicide King challenge, the Dedication achievement, and unlocking the drat blanket. It's probably been 10+ runs since I've seen a bedroom.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Irony Be My Shield posted:

You can restart Greed Mode and check if the cursed room has a bed in it.

Brilliant, still took me like 25 minutes to get the 4 I needed but hey it's done.

John Murdoch posted:

Dunno if it's better than the Greed mode method already mentioned, but bedrooms are more likely to appear if you're hurt and the Lost is considered to have a permanent half soul heart as their health value. So you'll get a bedroom on floor 2 incredibly often.

Also good info, thanks.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

John Murdoch posted:

I'm really getting sick of runs where I just get gently caress all. No consumables, no marked rocks, worthless shops, and a random grab bag of mediocre utility items.

This has even been happening on vanilla Isaac runs where I can D6 bad items. :mad:

And then multiple times these runs survive to like, Caves 2/Depths 1 and I suddenly get Magic Mushroom, Brimstone, and Tammy's Head and the game's just boringly won at that point.

Edit:

Was down to one missing item, Eye of Greed, and here comes MissingNo. in a broken shop so...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k0SmqbBIpQ

Eye of Greed was my last item too. I just couldn't get it to appear but then I got it without even noticing while playing with the D Infinity.

The only thing I need now is the 31 daily runs achievement. Speaking of which I started playing this morning and less then 2 minutes after the run went up it showed that I had already attempted and failed it with 603 points. Has that ever happened to anyone? I checked my Nintendo account and there's no unusual activity, and I'm not sure why anyone would steal my account just to suck at Isaac daily runs anyway, so I don't think that's what happened. I'm a bit annoyed my daily run win streak got broken on the day with history's easiest run (Eve to Mom, Satanic Bible and Nine Lives in the first two rooms, I did a practice run and cleared it in around 10 minutes).

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I finally got the Stop Playing achievement, the final unlock was the 31 daily runs achievement as I imagine it is for a lot of people. I had a ridiculously blessed ultra hard run with Mom's Knife in the floor 1 item room, and a Magic Mushroom and two sun cards for heals.

I dunno if I want to get it on PC and download a complete save when Repentance comes out, or just wait for it on switch. The switch controller is basically perfect for the game and the portability is super nice.

ArfJason posted:

Btw no matter where you go after beating an endgame boss it still counts as a kill so if you see a portal or lightbeam or whatever go for it

It doesn't count as a win if you go to the next level and die though, just a warning in case you're going for the 5 win streak with 5 different characters achievement or something.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Anyone notice that sometimes when Delirium turns into The Hollow he'll get instantly chunked for like 70% of his hp? It's like losing segments takes off big percentages of his hp like with the regular hollow, but it only happens sometimes.

IIRC all of my superboss kills with the lost used an I'm Drowsy pill or the Broken Stopwatch.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Happy Hedonist posted:

Is there anything specifically to work towards or am I good just blindly playing? It’s such a good game to play while smoking weed and listening to podcasts.

I would just focus on filling out the notecards for each character to begin with. You do this by beating various bosses, mainly mom's heart and stuff past that.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I personally didn't find Keeper all that bad once you get wooden nickel, but you need to beat The Lamb with him to get there. I doubt I'd ever do a Greedier run with him where I didn't startscum for the swallowed penny first though (or on any character after getting the completion mark).

That said I did have to use a fairly wacky strategy for my delirium completion with him. I had terrible damage and no swallowed penny, but I did have something like the car battery, D1, and deep pockets (or some equivalent setup). So I found a room with little batteries and duped a bunch for unlimited full charges, then I duped a huge pile of fool cards and algiz runes. Then I ran into Delirium's room, dropped an algiz on the floor, fired off my D1, and used the fool to teleport out. I ended up with like 10 algiz runes in each corner of the room when I finally settled in to fight him. Definitely overkill but I did end up using something like 14 of them.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The Moon Monster posted:

The only thing I need now is the 31 daily runs achievement. Speaking of which I started playing this morning and less then 2 minutes after the run went up it showed that I had already attempted and failed it with 603 points. Has that ever happened to anyone? I checked my Nintendo account and there's no unusual activity, and I'm not sure why anyone would steal my account just to suck at Isaac daily runs anyway, so I don't think that's what happened. I'm a bit annoyed my daily run win streak got broken on the day with history's easiest run (Eve to Mom, Satanic Bible and Nine Lives in the first two rooms, I did a practice run and cleared it in around 10 minutes).

This happened to me again, two days in a row now. I checked this morning like 10 minutes after the daily went up, and I was #1 on the list with 20k points, with a few other people on the list around 4k. What the heck.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Wildtortilla posted:

Painfully I just learned what a dice room is in Sheol. Had a loving awesome run and was a killing machine. Then I found a dice room that turned me into a floating legless hobo clown that shot coins but I couldn't just shoot, instead I dropped the coins and could put a bunch down... then when I released the right stick they scattered uselessly at anything except enemies. I have no idea how I was supposed to control that bullshit.

Satan was insurmountable.

I'm furious.

Sounds like anti-gravity plus head of the keeper.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

On a related note, if a bedroom has a clean bed it will have a crawlspace under the carpet, but if it has a wet bed it will have a trapdoor to the next level.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I got Dark Bum on one of the first floor item rooms on one of my ultra-hard attempts. That was just cruel.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

Breaking greed mode is always the best way to do your item hunting. Get the D20 and a shop with a battery, kill everything in the room so it's full of coins, use the D20, open the gold chests that come forth, pick up just enough coins to buy a battery to recharge the D20 and keys to open all the gold chests, reroll for infinity. Eventually you'll get through every item in the gold chest pool and it'll start filling those chests with items from ANY item pool.

I think there's some variance. I'm not positive, but I remember reading that there are a limited number of items available for each run, so it won't generate absolutely everything before it starts generating Breakfasts. May take a couple of tries. It's still way faster than playing regular and wishing.

That's also a good way to do greedier mode completions for troublesome characters. Just keeping D20ing with a strong character until you have an unstoppable build and are holding 2 algiz runes, then transform into a different character on the second to last floor. I only actually did this for The Lost using the missing poster, but you could do it for any character by using the clicker (or Judas, Lazarus, and ??? using their revive items).

Also, for the record, rerolling into an item with the D4/D100 counts as collecting it so rerolling your item pool out that way is another good way to finish your collection.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jun 28, 2020

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Wildtortilla posted:

If I'm following things correctly, not taking damage on the floor and/or boss increases the chance of a special room after the boss fight? I've been wondering if there were bonus goodies for playing well.

Yeah, devil deals are a huge deal and turning on the stats display really helps you understand how to get them. Upside down cross is your chance of getting a devil deal. The rightside up cross is the chance that IF you get a devil deal it will be an angel room instead.

The main thing is to not take red heart damage, but there are lots of things that can affect your chances. Also if you get a devil deal don't leave boss room without entering it because the door will probably despawn when you come back to the boss room.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I think picking up the Eden's Blessing item is the only thing that will effect subsequent runs (not counting unlocking new stuff, of course).

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I always eat unidentified pills but if you really want to play to win above all else it's probably better not to without PHD/Virgo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Vashro posted:

Im on switch. My dailies have been saying I already attempted them when I haven't played. Have I been hacked or what??

I've been getting that on switch too. I recently had one where I logged on like 5 minutes after the reset and it showed me having completed it with like 20k points while there were only 4 other people on the board with around 4k each. I have no idea what the deal is. I doubt it's someone hacking my Nintendo account to do Isaac daily runs, that just seems so pointless. Couldn't find any other unusual activity on my account either. I think it's just some weird bug.