Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Any Metal Slug boss is amazing. Got any more?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Rolo posted:

Agreed. Never played one but always end up staring at them trying to figure out how they are made.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Vigoro from Skies of Arcadia. He has all the makings of a dumb joke boss but you fight him three times and he's drat challenging each time.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Seriously Safe posted:

Yami (his final form) from Okami. The battle isn't that difficult overall, but it's very cinematic and the soundtrack is great.

This isn't how the spoiler tag works.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

It's not like there's a soul alive who hasn't played Okami at this point, so it's ok.
It's me, I'm the guy in the middle of playing it for the first time just this week. I haven't even heard the name Yami ingame yet, though, so it's not really a spoiler beyond "there is a bad guy with this name"

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

2house2fly posted:

GRIGORI

Aye, raise your weapon..your teeth of steel, your blood-red voice! Show me your power Arisen! Prove yourself worthy of what lies beyond my corpse! Show that you possess the strength to still my heart. The will to do it. The soul!

Best boss of last gen, best boss fight. Difficulty obviously varies by level, but the set pieces are huge and it's epic like you expect fighting a giant dragon should be.

E - since it wasn't mentioned this is Dragons Dogma.

Supreme Allah has a new favorite as of 03:45 on Dec 28, 2014

Seriously Safe
Sep 7, 2009

kazil posted:

This isn't how the spoiler tag works.

I'm sorry, I don't really post much. :shobon:

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Rolo posted:

Everything's so goddamn wiggly!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80orkKynJOU&t=4m06s

Umbilical Lotus
Nov 13, 2005

OH NO!!!! AXE CUT YOU!!!!
Persona 4's bosses were generally pretty great - every major one was tied to a character and revealed something about them, their background and their state of mind by the design. Given that it's a game about literally traveling to the collective unconscious and beating up a person's unaccepted fears, it's going to be kind of mind-bending. There's a lot to choose from - I love Shadow Chie's design, but by occurring so early in the game it can't be a threat; I love Shadow Naoto's mechanics, but the design is fairly straightforward; I love how Shadow Teddie just pops out of nowhere and scares the pits off you with its creepy visuals and crushing nihilism, but overall, I have a soft spot for this guy.

You pop into Shadow Mitsuo's level knowing basically nothing about the guy other than "the police think he's the fellow who did all the crime stuff", and come out with an accurate representation of his entire personality, and this by his boss design basically alone. The text you get in his level is contradictory with reality, which actually fits the profile. See, the dude up there isn't the boss. That's a projection, a shell used by the actual boss to defend itself. This is what's inside.

And that's Mitsuo, a hyperintelligent child, cruel and petty, incapable of interacting with the world without a carapace of heroic fantasy. A thing that builds up its shell as soon as it's broken down, living inside a representation of its own emptiness. When wearing its guise as the Hero, Mitsuo is forceful and powerful, dangerously so, but when divested of his delusions he can do nothing but scream robotically, lash out and reconstruct his flawed perceptions. He knows his shell is unreal - he can hardly not - but he willingly chooses to accept it, as a preference. This is why his shadow fades when he fails to accept it. Not because he became it - but because he has practice.

He also killed me repeatedly when I first fought him, and his level has some awesome music.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Yeah Persona bosses are great. My favorite was the final boss of Persona 3.

You finally get to see the top of the tower and you run into Nyx's Avatar there, who has a great design and is absolutely massive. It's the first enemy you fight on that scale so it's really jarring.

I just love the visuals though. I hated the actual fight. It's not that hard, it just takes loving forever. When you finally get it's health very low it will start charming your characters and if it charms one with a full heal spell you're gonna be doing this poo poo all over again. I mean yeah once you learn that and adapt the fight is easy but it happened to me the first time after I spent like 45 minutes whittling it down.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
When I was 13 I bought this game and my friend and I marathoned it in two nights. We hugged when we beat this guy. I think it is the only time I have ever hugged another male non family member in my life.

ServoMST3K
Nov 30, 2009

You look like a Cracker Jack box with a bad prize inside

I only post this guy cause I loved everything about Power Stone 2 on Dreamcast. The level designs, the weapons/collectibles and the characters were all amazing. I'm pretty sure this guy was trying to eat you, and you could throw salt and pepper shakers at him. I think the only time my heart broke due to video game causes was when my DC croaked and I decided to sell my games and move on.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

The Dregs posted:

When I was 13 I bought this game and my friend and I marathoned it in two nights. We hugged when we beat this guy. I think it is the only time I have ever hugged another male non family member in my life.

Good memory of that: When I got it for Christmas, my parents hid it somewhere in the house and to find it they put me on a scavenger hunt. Found it after several clues in various places throughout the house. I think my first party was two fighters and two red mages.

Padawan
Nov 27, 2014

This guy! Gamed this for ages when I was a kid with one other friend but I don't remember us ever beating the game.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Umbilical Lotus posted:

You pop into Shadow Mitsuo's level knowing basically nothing about the guy other than "the police think he's the fellow who did all the crime stuff", and come out with an accurate representation of his entire personality, and this by his boss design basically alone. The text you get in his level is contradictory with reality, which actually fits the profile. See, the dude up there isn't the boss. That's a projection, a shell used by the actual boss to defend itself. This is what's inside.

Is that a giant 3D Dot Game Heroes character? Nice...

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Just beat Orochi from Okami for the first time, was a pretty great boss with a neat mechanic. Not really a spoiler since they tell you who you're up against in the opening cutscene, but I'll spoil it anyway.
All the heads having different attacks that were all counterable by different brush skills was neat, as was the teamup with Susano at the end. I like how you have to use everything you've learned up to that point to win, he was the first boss that didn't feel like a total pushover. The dungeon leading up to him was also a refreshing change of pace, as I was expecting a Ganon's Castle-style showdown, but instead I was helping a bunch of Imps make dinner. A bit of levity where you don't expect it is nice.
Without giving too much away, how far am I into the game, and does it keep up the pace with quality dungeons and bosses? I'm kicking myself for not playing this game sooner.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Cicadas! posted:

Just beat Orochi from Okami for the first time, was a pretty great boss with a neat mechanic. Not really a spoiler since they tell you who you're up against in the opening cutscene, but I'll spoil it anyway.
All the heads having different attacks that were all counterable by different brush skills was neat, as was the teamup with Susano at the end. I like how you have to use everything you've learned up to that point to win, he was the first boss that didn't feel like a total pushover. The dungeon leading up to him was also a refreshing change of pace, as I was expecting a Ganon's Castle-style showdown, but instead I was helping a bunch of Imps make dinner. A bit of levity where you don't expect it is nice.
Without giving too much away, how far am I into the game, and does it keep up the pace with quality dungeons and bosses? I'm kicking myself for not playing this game sooner.

You are roughly a third of the way through the game, and while Orochi is a high point, it is not nearly the only one. The first time, at least.

One thing I have to say is the game really does a wonderful job of retelling old Japanese folktales and mixing them together. I didn't really appreciate it the first time I played it, but after a bit of research all the off the wall characters and side stories make a good deal more sense.

Just Offscreen has a new favorite as of 19:03 on Dec 29, 2014

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Just Offscreen posted:

You are roughly a third of the way through the game, and while Orochi is a high point, it is not nearly the only one. The first time, at least.

One thing I have to say is the game really does a wonderful job of retelling old Japanese folktales and mixing them together. I didn't really appreciate it the first time I played it, but after a bit of research all the off the wall characters and side stories make a good deal more sense.

That's the best news I've heard all week! I was expecting I was halfway through at the very least. Glad to hear it keeps the ball rolling.

I don't know much about Japanese folklore so most of the nuance is probably lost on me, but I've been enjoying the story all the same. I'll keep my eyes open, though.

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!

Cicadas! posted:

That's the best news I've heard all week! I was expecting I was halfway through at the very least. Glad to hear it keeps the ball rolling.

I don't know much about Japanese folklore so most of the nuance is probably lost on me, but I've been enjoying the story all the same. I'll keep my eyes open, though.

If you haven't, go into the journal and read up on the enemies. Each one has their own folklore, it was really interesting!

Later boss details:

Nine Tails from that game was one of my favorite bosses. When I went into my celestial view and Nine Tails started drawing in there with me, controlling my spells,, I freaked out.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Wiggy Marie posted:

If you haven't, go into the journal and read up on the enemies. Each one has their own folklore, it was really interesting!

Later boss details:

Nine Tails from that game was one of my favorite bosses. When I went into my celestial view and Nine Tails started drawing in there with me, controlling my spells,, I freaked out.

He's weirdly difficult in a game that's fairly easy, especially for Platinum. He's the hardest boss in the game, but his whole chapter feels like a weird bridge between the linking chapters 1 and 3.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Pretty lovely picture, but Robo-Z (Bust-A-Groove, and Bust-A-Groove 2) deserves video anyway, being from a rhythm game.

BaG 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEuxI_Y1Z6s

BaG2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9aaeSUIeM0

There's pretty much nothing that's not awesome about a giant robot that uses African inspired dance moves (more so in the second game, than the first).

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Minotaur, the first boss in SMT4. Sure you fight, encounters that seem like bosses before this, like the Disaster Horde and Alraune. They're not bosses. Minotaur is the first boss, because Minotaur is the first enemy who will wipe his rear end with you if you aren't prepared.

He's the first use of the boss theme. The real boss theme. He'll reduce you to a stain if you are not on top of buffs and debuffs and the press turn system, and he might level you anyway as Labrys Strike hits really loving hard.

I could post half of the bosses in this game. They're so wonderful. :allears:

It's also the first time the game uses a full illustration in combat in place of a sprite. All around, the game is telling you "Okay, the training wheels are off. Here ya go."

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Cicadas! posted:

Glad to hear it keeps the ball rolling.

You have no idea how right you are :getin:

Captain Quack
Feb 18, 2013
Real men don't fight...
...they sing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRyIvHKGOWU

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Intoluene posted:

It's also the first time the game uses a full illustration in combat in place of a sprite. All around, the game is telling you "Okay, the training wheels are off. Here ya go."

Speaking of training wheels coming off. I remember the first time I played Nocturne. During the tutorial battle with the two skulls I lost through no fault of my own. One of the enemies critted and got a bonus turn. It was pretty much the perfect intro to the SMT series.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

General Tor from Iji is pretty great.One of the few "the fate of the world hangs in the balance!" fights in videogaming that actually pulls off the proper atmosphere. It also feels super video-gamey but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Tracula posted:

I know it's a bump but I want to nominate literally every Platinum Games boss ever for this list. I recently beat Bayonetta 2 and Revengeance and have been playing Wonderful 101. Every boss in these games is so loving good that you could see them being the final boss in a normal game. If I had to give one game a highlight it'd be Revengeance for the dynamic music being insanely awesome in every instance.

A best boss fights of the year list is pretty much just gonna be a list of the bosses in the latest Platinum game. I think my favorite might be the first boss from TW101. The way you finish it off is just amazing.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I'll bite, what game is this from?

As for favorite game boss... I was always partial to Chernabog in Kingdom Hearts. Especially with Night on Bald Mountain as the background music.

The Blue Pyramid
Mar 1, 2009

:poland: :poland: :poland:
Kiepski to nie
kaktus;
Pić musi!

:poland: :poland: :poland:

Gridlocked posted:

Better yet once you finish Doom you get Brutal Doom and realise Doom was a cakewalk. What's harder than a Cyber Demon? Two loving Cyber Demons and two Spider Masterminds

While its fun to flip off a Cyber to piss them off, even in brutal they get boring.

Complex Doom makes them way better by introducing three different types. The Annihilator, with two rocket launchers, homing missiles and grenades; the Dark Cyber with speed boost and two types of BFG. And the big boss, the Dark Cardinal. A flying cyberdemon with attacks that can travel over walls, an overpowered BFG 10k, and an arsenal of heavy weapons. When it spawns a roar echoes through the entire map, as it hunts down every player one by one. If you can defeat it though, then you feel like a god (and get the best BFG in the game).

Spiderdemons have a similar progression, with a dual chaingun standard variant, a speedier, BFG toting dark variant, and a flying, ends-the-game overpowered monstrosity (the Cerebral Sentient).

Then you end up with the rare instance where multiple Cardinals and Sentient spawn on one map. Game over.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Chinaman7000 posted:

Agreed. Never played one but always end up staring at them trying to figure out how they are made.

There is still no 2d game I have seen that has sprites or animation that is 1/10th as cool as the metal slug series.

As far as favorite bosses go I'll go with Garl Vinland and Maiden Astraea from Demon's Souls because they were easy and succeeded in making me feel bad for killing them. Also every SOTC boss.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Randalor posted:

I'll bite, what game is this from?

It's an old game that used to be on the lego website, although it doesn't really have anything to do with lego. It got taken off the site a while ago but you can still find it hosted in some places like here http://games.mohron.net/game/1049

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

NESguerilla posted:

There is still no 2d game I have seen that has sprites or animation that is 1/10th as cool as the metal slug series.
Many of them never get rid of the paper doll feel, and Aquaria is not an exception. But I do like how the fight against the Creator gets weirder and weirder as it goes on. And then you rip his eyeball out. :black101:

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.
The final fight with Saren in the the original Mass Effect is one of my favorite boss fights simply by virtue of the fact that you can completely skip the first half of it if your speech skills are high enough.

And then he comes back as a rocket-spewing, wall-hopping robo-skeleton. :black101:

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Doctor Bishop posted:

The final fight with Saren in the the original Mass Effect is one of my favorite boss fights simply by virtue of the fact that you can completely skip the first half of it if your speech skills are high enough.

And then he comes back as a rocket-spewing, wall-hopping robo-skeleton. :black101:

Yeah, convincing the final boss to eat a bullet was loving great.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Eh, it was just a half-assed copy of one of the most famous cRPG "choices." In Fallout 1 you could convince The Master that his plan was going to fail and that he had essentially Hitlered up a sterile race of supermen.
Except he detonates a nuke and coming back there's nothing but a massive smoking crater where a cathedral used to be.
Also did the creepy man/machine thing way better. Looked gross as gently caress and had creepy as hell voice acting with a bunch of different voice acting and personalities spliced together.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I got a little emotional the first time I fought Ocelot in MGS4. The way the themes from the previous games are arraigned, and how the fighting style changes to reflect each title really felt like a great way to wrap up the long, long rivalry.

Favorite boss? Maybe this guy:

"Ahh, fresh meat!" The Butcher from Diablo 1. He's the first boss anyone playing the game faces, and you find him in a room covered in viscera and corpses which is pretty metal for a game in 1997. It's reminds me a little of the beginning parts of The Evil Within, but I just started that game so it's on my mind.

What's going through your mind, butcher, as you sit in your filthy room all day? Are you the cook for Diablo's army, or just an enthusiastic hobbyist who found something you liked and was good at? Poor butcher, poor goony butcher.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

The Moon Monster posted:

A best boss fights of the year list is pretty much just gonna be a list of the bosses in the latest Platinum game. I think my favorite might be the first boss from TW101. The way you finish it off is just amazing.

Yeah, if you liked the first boss of Metal Gear Rising (and who doesn't? It's goddamn amazing!) you'll like The Wonderful 101.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBVJe1wwTVI

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

With me, it's a tie between Ocelot in MGS4, the final sequence in FFVI, and Red from Pokemon Gold and Silver. The last one is pure nostalgia though, since I just remember the shock I felt when I went up this random mountain and found some dude chilling out at the summit. Talked to him and he said nothing then threw a level 81 Pikachu at me. I kinda lost it at that point and scared the crap out of my grandparents.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

mind the walrus posted:

Granfalloon or Legion, depending which Castlevania you're playing:

I love that there's a video game character named after a made-up word from a Vonnegut novel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Asheron's Call: The White Bunny.

• Locked thread