Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Senior Woodchuck posted:

I love that there's a video game character named after a made-up word from a Vonnegut novel.

That was a wonderful time, when games were big enough to have actual native English speakers translating games but before gamers got so obnoxious about translations that any and all fun was stamped out in the name of being true to canon.

Sleeveless has a new favorite as of 03:47 on Jan 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
The double bogies from Vanquish. One of the most insane and intense boss fights in any shooter (and probably the best in any of Platinum Games' games, which I think is a pretty high bar). It's especially great on God Hard where the fight can end very quickly at any time.

Jamadhar from Ketsui. Mesmerizing, whether you're fighting it or watching it. I would have posted one of the later bosses but I haven't ever made it very far past this one.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

TARDISman posted:

I just remember the shock I felt when I went up this random mountain and found some dude chilling out at the summit. Talked to him and he said nothing then threw a level 81 Pikachu at me.

You forgot the mention the part when you talk to him, the music drops for a moment, then kicks into an awesome battle jam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwJb1qupu9U&t=47s

Then for Heart Gold / Soul Silver, they pushed it to 11: pretty much replicating what you experienced in your child-like mind's eye:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjW-ZCGHQHI

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

The Moon Monster posted:

General Tor from Iji is pretty great.One of the few "the fate of the world hangs in the balance!" fights in videogaming that actually pulls off the proper atmosphere. It also feels super video-gamey but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

The music for that fight deserves a mention too. Combined with the setting it made for one of the greatest endings to a game I've ever experienced.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NU9IsUWxc0I
This guy.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

As great as Shadow Mitsuo is (fun fact: Mitsuo the Hero's battle animations use the menus from the original Megami Tensei), it's the source of a pretty obvious missed opportunity. I heard a very specific suggestion that a lot of people made,and they didn't do.

Until Persona 4 Golden on the Vita.

For proper content, I have to give props to a big chunk of Bravely Default's bosses. The game takes FFV's job system and amps it up as far as it'll go, and you get each one by fighting the guy that already has it. It's a really awesome bit of game design, since every boss fight essentially serves as a tutorial for how the job works; they use exactly the same moves you'll be getting from them, usually within a context that lets you see their strengths (the support characters fight with help, to show you they aren't frontline) and sometimes their weaknesses (the Swordmaster is based around countering, which means he's not that dangerous if you just hold back on turns he can act). It's just a really nice way to implement the core systems of the game.

EDIT: They're usually pretty hard fights, too, since they're actually working to a strategy.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 02:47 on Jan 6, 2015

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Not sure if he counts, but having Manannan stalk you was pretty boss. After you learned how to deal with him you could do it quickly but for a long time, dude is there loving your poo poo up. One time, I had escaped by boat (to the end game) and dude showed up and ruined all my poo poo. Good stuff.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Cleretic posted:

For proper content, I have to give props to a big chunk of Bravely Default's bosses. The game takes FFV's job system and amps it up as far as it'll go, and you get each one by fighting the guy that already has it. It's a really awesome bit of game design, since every boss fight essentially serves as a tutorial for how the job works; they use exactly the same moves you'll be getting from them, usually within a context that lets you see their strengths (the support characters fight with help, to show you they aren't frontline) and sometimes their weaknesses (the Swordmaster is based around countering, which means he's not that dangerous if you just hold back on turns he can act). It's just a really nice way to implement the core systems of the game.

EDIT: They're usually pretty hard fights, too, since they're actually working to a strategy.

Also in Bravely Default Airy is one of the most cathartic and engaging fights I've ever had in a jrpg.
She is such a complete bitch.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

This game was cool, and I'm glad someone remembers it.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

You know, I can perfect run that guy, but if you asked me to beat the first boss without getting hit, I'd say that's just not within the realm of possibility. That game's gold gems were brutal poo poo.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

The White Dragon posted:

You know, I can perfect run that guy, but if you asked me to beat the first boss without getting hit, I'd say that's just not within the realm of possibility. That game's gold gems were brutal poo poo.

100%ing that game is horrible and almost not worth the effort. gently caress Cerberus Alpha and Phoenix Gamma.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

The three major bosses (Lunar, Merco, and Tarus) and their individual robots also loving owned.

zimbomonkey has a new favorite as of 08:12 on Jan 6, 2015

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77UV53PELNo

Sovereign, from the first Mass Effect.

"Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh, you touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding."

"We are eternal. The pinnacle of evolution and existence. Before us, you are nothing. Your extinction is inevitable. We are the end of everything."

:black101:

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

Bertrand Hustle posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77UV53PELNo

Sovereign, from the first Mass Effect.

"Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh, you touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding."

"We are eternal. The pinnacle of evolution and existence. Before us, you are nothing. Your extinction is inevitable. We are the end of everything."

:black101:

The side mission designs are all samey and dull, but the main missions are great. The final "level" is amazing. Trying to get into the council chamber from outside to stop Saren, fighting Geth and Krogan, space ships blowing up, and all the while, Sovereign looms in the background, smashing it's giant tentacle things into the tower. It's just bad rear end.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

The double bogies from Vanquish. One of the most insane and intense boss fights in any shooter (and probably the best in any of Platinum Games' games, which I think is a pretty high bar). It's especially great on God Hard where the fight can end very quickly at any time.

Jamadhar from Ketsui. Mesmerizing, whether you're fighting it or watching it. I would have posted one of the later bosses but I haven't ever made it very far past this one.

drat, son. It's been a while since I beat Vanquish, but I'm almost positive I played it wrong after watching those videos. I don't remember jumping and slowing time to shoot around cover.

For content, I like the very last boss of Final Fantasy VII. (spoilers I guess) The very, very last battle in FFVII is a one-on-one between Cloud and Sephiroth. This is after you've killed Sephiroth's various forms, and at that point the story has provided a bunch of information on Cloud's past and what Sephiroth really is. So you have this one on one fight, and the limit meter for Cloud is set to auto-rise until the only option is to use Omnislash, Cloud's ultimate Limit Break, whether or not it was obtained during the game. What's really happening, and I missed this as a kid, is that Cloud is severing himself from the pull of Jenova, an influence that has been driving Cloud for most of the game without his acknowledgment. Sephiroth, having died years ago, is Jenova (an alien/parasite), and Cloud was exposed to genetic material from Jenova to turn him into a SOLDIER. So the last fight, the one without any party members, without any challenge, without any dialogue (that I remember), is a psychological battle to free himself from the memory of his former idol and web of lies that he constructed to deal with his Jenova corruption. It's just neat for a game to have a climax that is introspective without a message being hammered into the player.

Anyone want to share their thoughts on Chrono Cross' final boss? I read the Let's Play but hate actually playing the game, but I like goon opinions (sometimes).

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

Pretty much every boss fight in that game is great. gently caress beating those guys on god hard though. I couldn't even get to them.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I'm playing through Metal Gear Solid: Revengeance and last night fought Monsoon. ...that's one hell of a character design. As soon as he did his thing I was all :aaaaa:

http://i.imgur.com/PCFZROol.jpg

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Tengames posted:

Khan is indeed the best boss in BoF4 as well as having the best entrance.

Also, bosses youre supposed to lose to, but are actually beatable, just make it all the more awesome when you replay the game and actually manage to pull it off. Like this guy:

in addition to being one of the most challenging boses in the games with an awesome boss theme that always gets referenced in favorite game music lists, beating him early gives you one of the most awesome weapons in the game.

The best part about Gades is that everything you fight up until him in Lufia 2 looks kinda cutesy and super-deformed, then you get to Gades and he looks like the meanest motherfucker ever with a sweet-rear end sword. The Sinistral Battle music was icing on the cake, too.

Your Sledgehammer posted:

Gwyn, Lord of Cinder, Dark Souls

Make no mistake, this guy is pretty tough. What makes this battle so poignant, though, is the story and atmosphere. You can piece together the background of this once noble old man if you are paying close attention throughout the game. You go into the final area expecting an all-out brawl and plenty of bombast, but what you get is an utterly depleted ceremonial guard leading up to the final encounter with a withered, deranged husk. The music that accompanies the battle is beautiful and really drives home what is happening. It's a really sad and desperate moment, and it was not what I was expecting. An unusual and fitting end to a great game.

Haha, I was typing almost the exact same deal before I came to this post.

Vanderdeath posted:

Also, I know it's probably posted before but there hasn't been a boss battle as memorable as Gwyn, Lord of Cinder from Dark Souls. When you enter the arena, you really feel like you're going toe-to-toe with the hollowed out remains of a god who literally gave his soul to do what he thought was right. The boss music is amazing because all of the songs before it are bombastic and loud but then you get to the final boss and it's a somber piano piece that sets the mood for what you're about to do.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Motherfucking Chakravartin from Asura's Wrath

An insane boss to cap off an insane game. He hurls entire star systems at the player as a warm up act.

It's a shame they locked him behind DLC, considering your battle with him is the true ending of the game.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

LawfulWaffle posted:

drat, son. It's been a while since I beat Vanquish, but I'm almost positive I played it wrong after watching those videos. I don't remember jumping and slowing time to shoot around cover.

For content, I like the very last boss of Final Fantasy VII. (spoilers I guess) The very, very last battle in FFVII is a one-on-one between Cloud and Sephiroth. This is after you've killed Sephiroth's various forms, and at that point the story has provided a bunch of information on Cloud's past and what Sephiroth really is. So you have this one on one fight, and the limit meter for Cloud is set to auto-rise until the only option is to use Omnislash, Cloud's ultimate Limit Break, whether or not it was obtained during the game. What's really happening, and I missed this as a kid, is that Cloud is severing himself from the pull of Jenova, an influence that has been driving Cloud for most of the game without his acknowledgment. Sephiroth, having died years ago, is Jenova (an alien/parasite), and Cloud was exposed to genetic material from Jenova to turn him into a SOLDIER. So the last fight, the one without any party members, without any challenge, without any dialogue (that I remember), is a psychological battle to free himself from the memory of his former idol and web of lies that he constructed to deal with his Jenova corruption. It's just neat for a game to have a climax that is introspective without a message being hammered into the player.

Anyone want to share their thoughts on Chrono Cross' final boss? I read the Let's Play but hate actually playing the game, but I like goon opinions (sometimes).

Best part about the Cloud vs. Sephiroth fight is if you do absolutely nothing, Sephiroth attacks you for 3/4ths of your HP and you auto counter, deal 7000 damage and kill him.

As for the Time Devourer, it's definitely an interesting concept for a final boss, but it's also pretty frustrating, they even kept info about the trick to the true ending out of the BradyGames guide. Well, they kept it in but they said "It's hidden somewhere in this very book." Either way, it's an interesting idea and doing it properly ends up results in two of my favorite game songs playing.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
BURN WOO BURN BURN BURN TO THE GROUND BURN BURN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfTsvWTtoiQ

BURN TRANSFORMATION WOO WOO BURN TO THE BURN TO THE BURN

CherryCat
Feb 21, 2011

That's a strawberry.

College Slice
I always loved Volvagia in Ocarina of time, purely for the fact you're playing whack-a-mole with a giant dragon.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Sleeveless posted:

How is that not inducing seizures in people?

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

TontoCorazon posted:

How is that not inducing seizures in people?

Maybe it was bugged? That was horrible, jesus

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

NotAnArtist posted:

I don't have a hard time believing they didn't test that game to thoroughly.

TARDISman posted:

Best part about the Cloud vs. Sephiroth fight is if you do absolutely nothing, Sephiroth attacks you for 3/4ths of your HP and you auto counter, deal 7000 damage and kill him.

The even better part is that if you use a gameshark to allow other moves in that fight, doing anything to him, including Scanning to see his HP, will kill him instantly.

Pneub has a new favorite as of 04:21 on Jan 9, 2015

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Sleeveless posted:

Oh my god, what have they done to Megaman!?
This is blasphemy...

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006
Gotta go back to 1997 for my favorite boss

Great Metal Jesus
Jun 11, 2007

Got no use for psychiatry
I can talk to the voices
in my head for free
Mood swings like an axe
Into those around me
My tongue is a double agent

NotAnArtist posted:

Nope, that's just how the boss fight is! Unless my rental copy was bugged too.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Great Metal Jesus posted:

Nope, that's just how the boss fight is! Unless my rental copy was bugged too.

That battle cry went memetic a while ago. The game was programmed rather poorly.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I was talking to a friend of mine about the SMT series and of course this motherfucker came up:

'

To be honest I think the Matador might very well be one of the best designed bosses ever. He's hard as all gently caress if you just try to play through Nocturne like it's your typical JRPG. He teaches you that you NEED to learn the Press Turn System and that weaknesses, buffs and debuffs are all absolutely vital for getting anywhere.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

TARDISman posted:

As for the Time Devourer, it's definitely an interesting concept for a final boss, but it's also pretty frustrating, they even kept info about the trick to the true ending out of the BradyGames guide. Well, they kept it in but they said "It's hidden somewhere in this very book." Either way, it's an interesting idea and doing it properly ends up results in two of my favorite game songs playing.
I still think it's stupid how it was executed, though, considering that while Time Devourer does technically cast the spells in order, the aural hint is from a song that only plays if you get the good ending by casting the spells in order :downs:

Thematically, Time Devourer is one of the worst bosses ever made. It doesn't make any sense at all unless you played Chrono Trigger and know what a Lavos is.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

I still think it's stupid how it was executed, though, considering that while Time Devourer does technically cast the spells in order, the aural hint is from a song that only plays if you get the good ending by casting the spells in order :downs:

Thematically, Time Devourer is one of the worst bosses ever made. It doesn't make any sense at all unless you played Chrono Trigger and know what a Lavos is.

I think there's one part of Terra Tower with a bunch of crystals that play the sequence, and the Dragon God fight goes through phases in the order and one optional boss is only beatable with the sequence. Three tiny little hints that I don't think any reasonable person could pick up on short of brute forcing it.

Karatela
Sep 11, 2001

Clickzorz!!!

Grimey Drawer

Oh, Buebeam Trap. :allears:

Karatela has a new favorite as of 06:02 on Jan 30, 2015

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

gfarrell80 posted:

Gotta go back to 1997 for my favorite boss

Oh yeah good choice. The finale of this game is probably more metal than Brutal Legend.

I was gonna put down Marquis de la Montalbon from Sid Meier's Pirates! but then I realized most people didn't give a gently caress about finding their lost family.

FutonForensic has a new favorite as of 07:05 on Jan 30, 2015

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

FutonForensic posted:

Oh yeah good choice. The finale of this game is probably more metal than Brutal Legend.

I was gonna put down Marquis de la Montalbon from Sid Meier's Pirates! but then I realized most people didn't give a gently caress about finding their lost family.

Wait, you could actually find your family in that game? I was too busy on my holy crusade to purge the Spanish from the Caribbean. Only English towns, all the way down the coast. :britain:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
If Firaxis made a Pirates! 2015 with the same mechanics but where you could sail the entire planet fighting rival pirates, looting merchants' ships, and plundering Governors' cities (and their homely daughters), I'd pay any price for it.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

If Firaxis made a Pirates! 2015 with the same mechanics but where you could sail the entire planet fighting rival pirates, looting merchants' ships, and plundering Governors' cities (and their homely daughters), I'd pay any price for it.

Even better if they pulled an Alpha Centauri and made a sci-fi version with deeper mechanics and better writing :swoon:

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Is it different in different versions of the fame? I never got good enough on the apple IIgs to rescue more than two members of my family but (with some generous save scumming) I've rescued as many as 8 family members on the Genesis port. Is there a "you've got your whole family back, nieces and nephews all!" Or are you just talking about the montalban fight you have every time to get the map?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Shbobdb posted:

Is it different in different versions of the fame? I never got good enough on the apple IIgs to rescue more than two members of my family but (with some generous save scumming) I've rescued as many as 8 family members on the Genesis port. Is there a "you've got your whole family back, nieces and nephews all!" Or are you just talking about the montalban fight you have every time to get the map?
It's pretty easy in the 2004 remake but honestly why bother

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!

The giant robot is cool too but I always liked this guy from Mischief Makers, especially in the second phase where he speeds up and starts mixing up the patterns to keep you on your toes.

• Locked thread