Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Is really badass IMO. Post your favorite graphical quirks here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
I dont really know what you're talking about OP. Can you post an example?

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Well watch a video of someone playing MGS or Overblood or something and watch what happens to what would presumably be straight lines in the textures.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Like what's popping up in my mind is for example rail track textures in OverBlood 2 get all jagged as you walk along them, or the rectangular panels on the walls in MGS or whatever.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
It's called "affine" texture mapping: It's a cheapo texture mapping technique where the polygons don't care about depth and it goes to poo poo whenever you hit sharp angles. And man does it look crazy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyYEGdGwnFs

It brings me back to Tenchu real bad

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Gimbal lock posted:

It's called "affine" texture mapping: It's a cheapo texture mapping technique where the polygons don't care about depth and it goes to poo poo whenever you hit sharp angles. And man does it look crazy.

I love it.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Wormskull posted:

Well watch a video of someone playing MGS or Overblood or something and watch what happens to what would presumably be straight lines in the textures.

Oh yeah. Now I get it.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
I really like the lo-fi look of early 3D games, of course when they have good art direction.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Early 3d games had a thing going where they'd make every room into little dioramas instead of trying to glue every seam together and hope nobody would notice. I really miss those. Captain Toad looks like it gets it and it's going to kick rear end

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

I really like the lo-fi look of early 3D games, of course when they have good art direction.

Same. I think bad art direction early 3D games are absolute anus but there is a really cool charm to the ones that have good art direction.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
my favorite bad 3d game is might and magic 6.

sprites + 3d environments ftw

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
am i allowed to say using sprites for background characters in all of the bioware games

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

my favorite bad 3d game is might and magic 6.

sprites + 3d environments ftw

This. Also, there's something about low res, pixely textures from the ps1 era that look really great to me, I'm thinking specifically mgs and megaman legends

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

psx games look way better than n64 games cause the crappy texture mapping and resolution makes those games endearingly bad imo. n64 games just look bad

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

homeless snail posted:

psx games look way better than n64 games cause the crappy texture mapping and resolution makes those games endearingly bad imo. n64 games just look bad

i think that's a matter of taste honestly.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

AHungryRobot posted:

i think that's a matter of taste honestly.

lol, no

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
isn't that first pic from the legacy collection?

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

you posted a pic of twin snakes from the gamecube... for shame

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
that's mgs on pc

man, winback. I remember that game being hard

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
uh, i'm confused now. nevermind.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

wow sorry, heres a better comparison...

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

homeless snail posted:

wow sorry, heres a better comparison...

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
*phew* thanks for the update, youve redeemed yourself

Eindyin
Mar 23, 2004

#1 Son

Gimbal lock posted:

It brings me back to Tenchu real bad

First game I thought of too. Look at those wiggly wiggly floor boards.

Onikage was a badass

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I miss when people in games were essentially those artist's reference dolls waving their huge oven mitt hands around and bobbing their ghoulish unmoving face masks around to talk

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
only 90s kids will remember this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woRqgOZSy28

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

this thread reminds me that fx fighter (bless) on the pc actually had a toggle for enabling/disabling perspective-correct texturing, so you could have the psx/saturn experience on your pc if you wanted to

(also if you just had a slow system and wanted to squeeze out a few more frames a second i guess)

EDIT: oh regarding graphical quirks i'm kinda sorta fond of old-fashioned vertex lighting, which tended to look kind of weird since i think it just detected which polygons were supposed to be lit and then lit them up completely, so if there was a moving light source everything would be unevenly lit and you'd basically see bright triangles appear and disappear

Sombrerotron fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Nov 1, 2014

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Here's what Super Mario 64 would look like without texture filtering or perspective correction:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuH7RDIDZN4&t=59s

:barf:

It's not quite as bad on actual PS1 games since every surface would be divided into tiles, so only the ones at the border of the screen would be noticeably bad. The DS and Sega Saturn didn't have texture filtering, but they did have perspective correction.

There's also a bit on why PS1 games look so bad here, any why emulators can only kinda get around them.

Iron Casanova
Dec 7, 2012

Visual SHOCK! Speed SHOCK! Sound SHOCK!
Wait, people liked texture distortion? I couldn't stand it back in the day, even Saturn with its haphazard 3D handled it better than the PSX.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Iron Casanova posted:

Wait, people liked texture distortion? I couldn't stand it back in the day, even Saturn with its haphazard 3D handled it better than the PSX.

Its funny last year there was some posts in an emu thread about wondering how long it was gonna be till people wax nostalgic for ps1 weirdo texture stuff.

It does look pretty neato tbh but I'm glad its gone

Stink fag
Aug 21, 2014
I like it.

Stink fag
Aug 21, 2014

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Very epic.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The coolest thing about Quake was the non-interpolated janky-as-poo poo animations.

Stink fag
Aug 21, 2014

Alain Post posted:

The coolest thing about Quake was the non-interpolated janky-as-poo poo animations.

Fiends soaring through the air towards you while remaining completely still kicks rear end.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Stink fag posted:

Fiends soaring through the air towards you while remaining completely still kicks rear end.

Agreed. The gremlins are epic as well.

Zodar
May 21, 2007

Affine texture mapping is nauseating, but aliased textures are extremely good, as this gif demonstrates

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.

Stink fag posted:

weird gross early 3d is infinitely more interesting than the 3d that most faggots consider "nice" nowadays. a dreamlike quivering mess of scraped polys just suits a lot of gameworlds better than whatever nextgen hollywood cgi bullshit is in vogue. it's also incredibly easy to make lovely 3d graphics that still work and create a unique atmosphere, allowing for more content, whereas developers can spend lots of money and time on an obscenely over-detailed art style just because it's considered the standard now. the children growing up on seventh generation graphics are growing up retarded, with no role models of gaming aesthetics to guide them in their maturation. they don't understand the old ways and they will never appreciate simple pleasures that elder gamers take for granted.

Haha, sorry to rant, y'all! It's just that this subject is totally my Berserk Button.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Cobweb Heart posted:

weird gross early 3d is infinitely more interesting than the 3d that most faggots consider "nice" nowadays. a dreamlike quivering mess of scraped polys just suits a lot of gameworlds better than whatever nextgen hollywood cgi bullshit is in vogue. it's also incredibly easy to make lovely 3d graphics that still work and create a unique atmosphere, allowing for more content, whereas developers can spend lots of money and time on an obscenely over-detailed art style just because it's considered the standard now. the children growing up on seventh generation graphics are growing up retarded, with no role models of gaming aesthetics to guide them in their maturation. they don't understand the old ways and they will never appreciate simple pleasures that elder gamers take for granted.

Haha, sorry to rant, y'all! It's just that this subject is totally my Berserk Button.

:yikes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Cobweb Heart posted:

Clears throat quietly.

• Locked thread