Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mugticket
Sep 13, 2011

Buck Turgidson posted:

That's nothing. The NPCs in Kingpin look like human-shaped bags filled with rats.

I think it looks more like your average bodybuilder. Always Pulsating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
I always appreciated that the cutscenes in MGS1 were all in-engine, so you had these dramatic events happening with PS1 models wiggling their blurry heads at each other when they spoke. It was charming.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

gay skull posted:

Hey I'm just trying to be a buddy to my gamers in need. I'd never hate on someone for what they like to do under the covers as long as it's legal but I can tell when someone's going through a rough patch. From one skull to another, you can always count on me if you're in need of a gamerbuddy to discuss some real poo poo.

Stfu

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
MGS is really good looking. I love it.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Complexcalibur posted:

I think the early 3D games that still look good today are the ones with relatively simple textures. If you try to get too much detail in there you get poo poo like Aydin Chronicles.

I am eagerly awaiting the day 'retro' indie games eventually move past pixel sidescrolling platformers into the era of lowpoly collectathon platformers.

this is my favorite game. the only game i've ever thought actually needed an hd remake.

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay

Cobweb Heart posted:

yeah everything by cicada and thecatamites is great for this poo poo. that includes goblet grotto. there is a rapidly growing scene of people who are into how hosed up and special 90s-00s gaming could get. some posters may laugh, even post pictures of a neckbeard to try and mock me. that just means they're too disconnected from the true gaming spirit to understand what i'm talking about. they're just too... fake loving gamer

it's just a shame that cicada's games are usually so short. i know the point is to explore these sort of malformed 3d zones, but I just wish they weren't quite so bite-sized. not that I hold it against them, dark field does what it does really efficiently

also goblet grotto loving owns. I'm still not sure whether the Plane of Salt is a game over or not

Iron Casanova
Dec 7, 2012

Visual SHOCK! Speed SHOCK! Sound SHOCK!

Mugticket posted:

I think it looks more like your average bodybuilder. Always Pulsating.

Was this game any good, I remember it having some controversy when it came out.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Complexcalibur posted:

I am eagerly awaiting the day 'retro' indie games eventually move past pixel sidescrolling platformers into the era of lowpoly collectathon platformers.

In addition to the things that have already been mentioned, there's A Hat In Time.

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay

Bongo Bill posted:

In addition to the things that have already been mentioned, there's A Hat In Time.

This looks like a Super Mario 64 reboot that grew up in my heart and left for Fungame University to study Awesome

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

It looks like a game for developmentally challenged pedophiles to me, but hell what can you do.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Mipmapping

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Iron Casanova posted:

Was this game any good, I remember it having some controversy when it came out.

No, but the dialogue is pretty cool

"I'll sell you a crowbar for a dollar!" "Don't talk to my bitch!" "Peekaboo you gently caress, you!"

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
gouraud shading

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

:snoop: :420: :snoop: :420: :snoop: :420: :snoop: :420: :snoop: :420: :snoop: :420: :snoop: :420: :snoop:

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

elf help book posted:

MGS is really good looking. I love it.

Same here. It must be the lighting that makes it work, because if you tried to imagine Shadow Moses brightly lit, then it would just look like a bunch of cubes.

Silent Hill and Vagrant Story manage to look good too, with Vagrant Story having actual faces and lip-sync (although unfortunately without voice acting), and Silent Hill having dynamic lighting with the flashlight.

Probably the only 3D PS1 games that actually look decent now are the Crash Bandicoot games. There's a site talking about the development of the series, like how a single level in the first game was so detailed that they could only fit 1/10th of it in their PC's memory, and it would be larger than an entire N64 cartridge. That's because it would load in the level while you were running through it.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

That loving Sned posted:

Same here. It must be the lighting that makes it work, because if you tried to imagine Shadow Moses brightly lit, then it would just look like a bunch of cubes.

the texture work was really clever

its ugly if you just look at one thing, but it all blends together in a scene, in the lighting, to convey what they wanted in the capabilities of the ps1

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

that's "mise en scene" and Hideo Kojima knew exactly what he was doing

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Bongo Bill posted:

that's "mise en scene" and Hideo Kojima knew exactly what he was doing

its "badass"

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0z1HWiTv5Yk

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

I like really pixelly textures

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Seshoho Cian posted:

Same here pal.

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay

Seshoho Cian posted:

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

i love it

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006

Oh man they even got the weird texture clipping

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay
i loving love this look, especially the Legends-esque stuff. Incoming lowpoly dump

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay
somebody please find that model and give them some low-polygon blunts

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

drift stage is gonna be p. cool

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
i am a big fan of the king's field games and they look like poo poo nowadays but in an endearing way and imo accomplished a decent amount with the low poly count

especially neat because in some cases we have modern designs to compare the archaic designs to because from software enjoys reusing and recycling characters and concepts and designs

Seath

Kalameet/Guyra

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

i am a big fan of the king's field games and they look like poo poo nowadays but in an endearing way and imo accomplished a decent amount with the low poly count

especially neat because in some cases we have modern designs to compare the archaic designs to because from software enjoys reusing and recycling characters and concepts and designs

Seath

Kalameet/Guyra

loving's Field IV.

Budohead
Feb 13, 2011

Head Case

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Wormskull posted:

loving's Field IV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU