Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
just :getout:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

I also have a friend who just picked up PO1 and started wavering on his goal of getting out of the Navy and being happy for once.

I asked him, what does the Navy have that the civilian world doesn't also have? Give me one good reason for you to stay in, I guarantee the same benefits are also available in the civilian sector if you're not a mouth breathing idiot.

He couldn't come up with anything.

:getout:

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

germskr posted:

Anybody proficient with the programs on USMAP that would be willing to answer a couple of questions offline? I have PM but if you don't just leave your email and I'll get in contact with you, thanks.

I've been using it for awhile and am almost done with one, go ahead and pm me.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

shipwrecks posted:

Guess I'm in about the same spot then.

3 years in with less than a year left on my first term, and just picked up second. Picked 3 years of shore duty out of A-school and am in my window to pick orders to go sea duty for the first time. I didn't pick orders this month because I wasn't sure if I'd make second or not. Six months ago I was dead set on getting out and going back to school, so far as to try an get an early out for it. Now I've been wringing my hands about staying in for another two years, mostly because of the ~steady paycheck~ and "well, the Navy's not too bad, I guess." But I know I'm only saying this because I've been cushy shore desk job for the past 2 years and that it will change once I go to a squadron.

Still on the fence about it though. I've been trying to reason to myself that if I don't get "good" orders that I'm happy with I'm getting out. I just get this nagging feeling I don't want to be the rear end in a top hat who is like "hell yeah, I was in the Navy for a term but sat in the middle of California's rear end in a top hat the whole time."

Goons, talk some sense into me. Please.

One of us! One of us!

If you do more than one enlistment, the next time you are getting read to EAS it's going to be "I am almost halfway to retirement". Before you know it you are going to be on your third wife and on meds for your cholesterol and high blood pressure with a CPAP machine to help with the sleep apnia wondering why the hell you ever thought this was a good idea.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

shipwrecks posted:

But I know I'm only saying this because I've been cushy shore desk job for the past 2 years and that it will change once I go to a squadron.

Squadron is like half shore duty...unless it's a P3 squadron.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

CMD598 posted:

Squadron is like half shore duty...unless it's a P3 squadron.

And then it's like full shore duty.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

The dudes at my squadron work 12 on 12 off. Doesn't seem like 1/2 shore duty to me.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

DustyNuts posted:

The dudes at my squadron work 12 on 12 off. Doesn't seem like 1/2 shore duty to me.

The dudes at my shore duty work 12 on 12 off. loving Joint assholes don't understand shore duty.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Happy Thanksgiving squids. I hope you all managed to skate out of any duty requirements and work related bs. If you can't be with the people you want to be with the holiday I hope you make the most of it wherever you are. Be safe, and be gluttonous.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

vulturesrow posted:

Happy Thanksgiving squids. I hope you all managed to skate out of any duty requirements and work related bs. If you can't be with the people you want to be with the holiday I hope you make the most of it wherever you are. Be safe, and be gluttonous.

I'm thankful my tarded duty day is tomorrow, maintaining my sections record of landing on every loving long weekend since I've been here.

Today though. Today I feast.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving GiP Sailors, hope those on duty had people bring reheated turkey. For the rest of us, booze and gluttony.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
happy turkey shitlords

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Nick Soapdish posted:

Happy Thanksgiving GiP Sailors, hope those on duty had people bring reheated turkey. For the rest of us, booze and gluttony.

I went over to the galley, saw the line out the door and down the sidewalk, and I walked right back to the building I work at and reheated some cold pizza. Happy thanksgiving, fuckers.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

orange juche posted:

I went over to the galley, saw the line out the door and down the sidewalk, and I walked right back to the building I work at and reheated some cold pizza. Happy thanksgiving, fuckers.

That sounds...

:(

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007

KetTarma posted:

happy turkey shitlords

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

DustyNuts posted:

My squadron is like 8hrs on shift, less if count actual work.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Went to the NEX after duty section muster. It was almost empty because the nex sucks. I got a memory foam bath mat for 5 bux. 0630 mission success.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

CMD598 posted:

My squadron is like 8hrs on shift, less if count actual work.

I was in a VAQRON in Whidbey for 3 years. It was 8 hours of shift-work, but it tended to be 12+ and sometimes I'd come in on Saturday if we had a det going out for support.
Work-ups and surge schedules meant we deployed every single year in addition to TSTA, COMPTUEX, and two month-long Fallon Dets.

Every single work-up required packing everything you own away, and for anything short of the small 1-2 week Boat dets, you had to move out of the barracks if you lived there and put your poo poo in storage.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
That's lovely, and everyone always talks up how much better it is stateside. We've really just got a single month long Fallon det (Double for 2015, thanks hull swap), CQs, and our ~6 months of deployment every year.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
So, I may be looking at being Submarine DQ'd due to medical issues, and need to start investigating possible rates. Any suggestions?

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Null Integer posted:

So, I may be looking at being Submarine DQ'd due to medical issues, and need to start investigating possible rates. Any suggestions?

CTN. Top secret clearance, CYBER WARRIOR poo poo, and... uh... sexiness? I was sub disqual'd, crossed CTN, had a nice shore duty, got out, and am currently making fat contractor stacks. I'm actually an instructor at the a-school if you have any questions. There are several other ctn goons who are either instructors or actual rate dudes who can help as well.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

Fart Sandwiches posted:

CTN. Top secret clearance, CYBER WARRIOR poo poo, and... uh... sexiness? I was sub disqual'd, crossed CTN, had a nice shore duty, got out, and am currently making fat contractor stacks. I'm actually an instructor at the a-school if you have any questions. There are several other ctn goons who are either instructors or actual rate dudes who can help as well.

But I would be one and the same as those oxygen converters and san tank filling machines! In all reality, that seems not to far of a stretch from what I was doing as an FT. Hopefully I'll be able to get it.

justice4trayvawn
Oct 26, 2014

Null Integer posted:

This is old rear end info but I know it will depend on how much time you have left.....I was directly converted since I didn't have much time left and didn't extend for training or w/e. I bet your rate would probably convert to FC but who knowz just speculating~

Anyways welcome to the easy life B)

e:

GAR-
BAGE
DICK

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Null Integer posted:

Odds are good they'll just rerate you fc. We have a bunch of former sub guys going through fc a right now. They're terrible people.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

PneumonicBook posted:

Odds are good they'll just rerate you fc. We have a bunch of former sub guys going through fc a right now. They're terrible people.

Yep, checks out.

justice4trayvawn
Oct 26, 2014

Nick Soapdish posted:

Yep, checks out.

:twisted:

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Null Integer posted:

Just in case, write up a resume and make plans just in case your rate conversion ends in an early out. It's happened to more than one friend of mine recently.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

PneumonicBook posted:

Quoted for truth. Honestly though, I can't see them pushing FC over any Information Dominance Rate. The rates really only share a letter with 2/3 FC types and our tomahawk dealings are minimal compared to their entire rate for it.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

KetTarma posted:

Just in case, write up a resume and make plans just in case your rate conversion ends in an early out. It's happened to more than one friend of mine recently.

I feel I'm a weird spot with that. Still waiting for a full diagnosis of the condition while on LIMDU, the medicine which helps control it is SUB DQ which I am currently taking.
I just finished my first enlistment(5 years), and was on the boat for 4 years and change before being taken off only a few months before I would of rotated to shore duty. (All symptoms of this condition where ignored by doc(gently caress IDC's) on the boat for a year, and it took me failing the submarine physical exam for ANYONE to take ANY action on it). During that boat time, I excelled as a sailor with strong evals and extra collaterals. I don't want to :getout: and feel that this condition isn't extreme enough to even warrant a med board.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
We've got a bunch of coner converts in school right now and a surprising number of chiefs crossing as well. Mostly FT and ST are making the switch. All the MMs that try get dropped pretty early. Also if you aren't a first yet advancement is stupid high because most CTNs do one enlistment and get out. This last cycle the chief advancement was 63%, with similar numbers for first and 100% for second. poo poo is cray.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

If it goes that way, you don't get much of a choice. I don't think it's likely to happen but you always want a backup plan.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
I need your guys' advice on career transition.

My service obligation will end after my next tour which will be a carrier reactor DIVO tour 28 months (FML). Conventional wisdom is that you never get out from sea duty and that you should always take the no-obliserv 2 year shore duty with the rent a nuke 12k/year bonus. Main reason is that duty gives you time to properly plan for transition.

Because of my prior enlisted time I'll be sitting at 10.5 years if I do the shore duty. I would be past the halfway point to retirement and 2 DH tours (42 months) away from shore duty and retirement. So some of my peers and mentors would say that I would be a fool not to do the 20 if I reach 10.5 years. I'll be 31 at that point, which is at the cusp of no return for starting another career. This is the main reason for considering getting out from sea duty.

If I get out from sea duty I'm considering following plans/options:
1. Attend grad school overseas and apply for Foreign Service at State Department. Will be an English language program but I can also increase my foreign language to much better proficiency.
2. Attend grad school stateside and look for DC/Beltway job in policy or also go for State department.
3. Attend business school (hopefully good one) and transition to private sector career (most likely general management).

While I'm a fairly proficient technical/industrial manager (what Nuke/DIVO training and experience for Officers boils down to) I have no desire to work in engineering/maintenance/technical field. I enjoy policy/strategy and dealing with people. Operations is okay too but not too much ground level stuff, prefer policy/operation integration vice operational execution duties.

What do you guys think of my loose plan/options? Is foregoing military retirement and pension a bad decision?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
All three are great plans and if you've been smart you should have already saved a considerable amount towards your retirement. Take the free money for school, build your awesome resume, and get the gently caress out. I'm interviewing for B-Schools now so if you have any questions let me know.

Chuckle
Feb 9, 2013

CMD598 posted:

That's lovely, and everyone always talks up how much better it is stateside. We've really just got a single month long Fallon det (Double for 2015, thanks hull swap), CQs, and our ~6 months of deployment every year.

Greetings fellow Atsugi citizen.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

Chuckle posted:

Greetings fellow Atsugi citizen.

Greetings!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

New thread open: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3685111

• Locked thread