Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
I saw that trade earlier and I don't get it at all. Ramos is obviously nothing to write home about but unless someone wants to correct me Sappington seems like nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/11/05/angels-acquire-cesar-ramos-from-rays-for-mark-sappington/

This article says he went to AAA and did decently as a reliever but that's not what milb.com or bb-r say so who knows. I expected Ramos to be a potential loogy when I saw the trade but that doesn't appear to be the case. Maybe the Angels think that Corey Rasmus can stick as a starter in MLB or AAA but he was typically used as a mid inning guy last season already.

Maybe the Rays see something in him that they can fix/develop because they're normally good at that

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Athletes (MLB players in particular) make loads and loads of money due to evaluation of their talent. While they shouldn't be telling everyone that the system is fine because it worked for them, I can kind of understand if one of them believes in a just world where work and success are perfectly aligned. Many of them have never known anything else.

The good news is about as many players giving some of their money back through charity as there are millionaires dreaming of libertopia.

Qwertyiop25
Jan 19, 2011

D is for Dank
It's Hammerin' Hank
Green in his name
And Green in his bank.

FairGame posted:

Apparently two-time World Series winner and GRITMASTER Ryan Theriot popped off on Twitter about the Dodgers' new GM. Or more specifically, any GMs that aren't former players, since they're apparently not qualified to make decisions.

Nevermind the fact that I'm pretty sure Theriot played more seasons for teams without a former-player-GM than the opposite, and he can probably thank the stupidity of "playing experience beats management experience" for his employment.

If you'll recall, the Cardinals were in first place when he was leading the team from the shortstop position so there's certainly no reason that he can't lead a team to first place as a GM.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Deathlove posted:

He was a good fuckin' dude, amortization of contract via HRs or not.

Soriano was always one of the most well-liked players in both the clubhouse and in the Cubs front office. I hope he sticks around the MLB.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

He should join the coaching staff to teach Baez plate discipine.

Storm
Jun 7, 2001

Professional #8 Hitter/Beard Grower
Car-Go and Tulo aren't being shopped, but the Rockies are "listening to offers" for them.

Quick, someone sacrifice a thousand pizzas so that Dombrowski can work his magic

Pulp Can Move
Oct 4, 2012
Neither of those guys is a Cy Young winner.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

I bet Lincecum is available. And Eric Gagne is a free agent! I would be happy with acquiring either or both of them.

Pumpkin McPastry
Mar 8, 2004

What else do I have to do to impress you people?

Pulp Can Move posted:

Neither of those guys is a Cy Young winner.

Neither is Miguel Cabrera.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

R.D. Mangles posted:

"If it's a slider you swing and you swing as hard as you possibly can. No, I don't care if it hits the dirt 3 feet outside the plate."

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

Storm posted:

Car-Go and Tulo aren't being shopped, but the Rockies are "listening to offers" for them.

Quick, someone sacrifice a thousand pizzas so that Dombrowski can work his magic

pffft, the Mets are going to wayyyyyyyy overpay for one them.

and the one that is traded to the Mets will play approximately 200 more regular season games due to injuries.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I've seen a few Yankees sites mention Tulo in serious passing, but I don't think they could really put together a package to get him that wouldn't ridiculously hamstring the team going forward, and he's emphatically not worth that.

Not that I think the Yankees FO would even really think about it unless the Rockies came to them with some ridiculously unbalanced deal already on the table.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Storm posted:

Tigers need a CF so bad, if Dombrowski is going to sacrifice 500 virgins to the pizza gods then he's going to get McCutchen from the Pirates for like Rick Porcello and Nick Castellanos.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

"I can't wait until cancer inevitably chokes the life out of Curt Schilling."

He might have been the Iron Man, but his head was full of horseshit.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Storm posted:

Someone needs to trade for both of them because only combined can they play a full season (and they didn't even manage that this season).

Pumpkin McPastry
Mar 8, 2004

What else do I have to do to impress you people?

Inspector_666 posted:

I've seen a few Yankees sites mention Tulo in serious passing, but I don't think they could really put together a package to get him that wouldn't ridiculously hamstring the team going forward, and he's emphatically not worth that.

Not that I think the Yankees FO would even really think about it unless the Rockies came to them with some ridiculously unbalanced deal already on the table.

I don't know what the Yankees have to give up that would "ridiculously hamstring the team going forward." Severino's cool and all, but Tulo is about as dramatic a solution to one of their more glaring problems with a huge exclamation point. Open to being corrected, but that's my reaction.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
No trading Luis Torrens because he has nice hair.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Pumpkin McPastry posted:

I don't know what the Yankees have to give up that would "ridiculously hamstring the team going forward." Severino's cool and all, but Tulo is about as dramatic a solution to one of their more glaring problems with a huge exclamation point. Open to being corrected, but that's my reaction.

We already have one broken player with a hip surgery and multiple injuries and maybe we should keep aome young guys I guess

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
That leaves A-rod for Tulo trade? Seems pretty fair to me, I mean just look at A-rods stats.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

R.D. Mangles posted:

You gotta hit lead off if you want respect!

That's my only real knock on Soriano during his time with the Cubs. Who knows what all went on the behind the scenes during all of that, but the lineup certainly had Soriano atop it for far too long. Allegedly he also finally switched to a slightly lighter bat the last few years which coincided with a nice offense bump, a year or so late.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Pumpkin McPastry posted:

I'm assuming Tulo would require more than one prospect, and I don't want the Yankees trading away multiple guys to pick up one when the team isn't in a WIN NOW situation. It's not as if Tulo is the missing piece here, he would be one of the building blocks.

If we could get him for just one prospect, I would downgrade it to just simply hamstringing the team rather than ridiculously so. Dude has averaged less than 120 games per season and just had hip surgery, and still has 6 years left on his contract. This is one of those times where I want the Yankees to throw money at a problem through FA.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Nov 6, 2014

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
The Yankees were in spitting distance of the playoffs while playing Derek Jeter instead of by far the best shortstop in the world.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

A-Rod turns out to be a nihilist

All credit to that joke goes to Calcaterra and Twitter.

I am so ready for Heel A-Rod.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth posted:

A-Rod turns out to be a nihilist

All credit to that joke goes to Calcaterra and Twitter.

I am so ready for Heel A-Rod.

gently caress me. I mean, say what you want about the tenets of Playing The Game The Right Way, Dude, at least it's an ethos.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Groucho Marxist posted:

The Yankees were in spitting distance of the playoffs while playing Derek Jeter instead of by far the best shortstop in the world.

I can't believe Kelly Johnson outhit him when he was playing for the Yankees.

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

"Just a few more ligaments and this baby can shoot 90!"

Haddahappen..

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Lame, according to the picture in the article he didn't even pee inside the house. It was outside on a pool deck/patio area.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

From the Rays official tweetor:

A "preliminary" list

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

"Just a few more ligaments and this baby can shoot 90!"

Harlock posted:

A "preliminary" list

Strange, I only see one option..

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

bawfuls posted:

Lame, according to the picture in the article he didn't even pee inside the house. It was outside on a pool deck/patio area.

That's not even out of the ordinary!

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly
That picture is a dead giveaway. It's the guy without the hat.

Although if it's Craig Counsell, he will deliver the lineup card with scrap, diving headfirst into home

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Harlock posted:

A "preliminary" list

Isn't Dave Martinez supposed to be this genius manager in waiting?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

howe_sam posted:

Isn't Dave Martinez supposed to be this genius manager in waiting?

They may just be doing due diligence like the Twins were on the "external" candidates.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA

Dingleberry Jones posted:

That picture is a dead giveaway. It's the guy without the hat.

Although if it's Craig Counsell, he will deliver the lineup card with scrap, diving headfirst into home

Raul Ibanez would send his with lawn darts (god drat do I want to see him manage somewhere)

++ plus-plus new thread title :tipshat:

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

No, he'll walk to home plate, hold it up over his head and make the ump jump for it.

Oh, and ESPN has some cool gifs in an article about some free agents.

Scherzer getting paid. (Or calculating his xFIP?)

Lester going somewhere.

Martinez just hits things.

James Shields is at a carnival throwing 200 innings or something.

Hanley ruining perfectos again.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

This seriously rocks.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

I like Rigged Game James better.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

He'll coach everyone to use his batting stance. Even the pitchers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Tony Phillips posted:

Hanley ruining perfectos again.

I wish this could be an avatar.

• Locked thread