Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

HLJ currently has a limited-stock Lucky-Dip plamo blind boxes as a sale. For $60AUD and about $40AUD in shipping you get a guarantee of one Gundam kit, a set of markers, and up to 5 other random Bandai plamo kits for a total of 6 maximum with a guaranteed total value of around double the purchase price.

They had a Large one too for $100AUD that's already just plain gone.

There's also cheaper Lucky Dip boxes for Pokemon plamo kits, Tomica cars, and... *checks notes* ...adult toys.

Why would you tell me this is a thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
One of the kits I'm waiting to get is the Super Sasadango Machine kit.

Why do I want this? Follow this real, actual story behind the character (and the man who created/performs it): A guy moves to Tokyo to study at an university, ends up working as a video producer for an independent promotion and becomes a cult hero of sorts. He then retires, moves back home to Niigata to run the family business of a machine shop and also moonlights as a local wrestler. Cue the fact that he never really retired and his old home promotion starts booking him. While back home, he also started studying for an MBA. There, he discovered the magic of PowerPoint.

His gimmick is that he gives a PowerPoint presentation before each of his matches, showcasing (in real MBA business fashion) the different business strategies on how to win. Guy becomes viral. Merch is being made. Now his family business is testing out if they could start doing plastic model kits. He's also a local celebrity back home in Niigata, being a host for a morning tv show and has his own radio program.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Asteroid Alert posted:

Why do I want this? Follow this real, actual story behind the character (and the man who created/performs it): A guy moves to Tokyo to study at an university, ends up working as a video producer for an independent promotion and becomes a cult hero of sorts. He then retires, moves back home to Niigata to run the family business of a machine shop and also moonlights as a local wrestler. Cue the fact that he never really retired and his old home promotion starts booking him. While back home, he also started studying for an MBA. There, he discovered the magic of PowerPoint.

His gimmick is that he gives a PowerPoint presentation before each of his matches, showcasing (in real MBA business fashion) the different business strategies on how to win. Guy becomes viral. Merch is being made. Now his family business is testing out if they could start doing plastic model kits. He's also a local celebrity back home in Niigata, being a host for a morning tv show and has his own radio program.

Please say he hosts the morning program in his wrestler costume.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Please say he hosts the morning program in his wrestler costume.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
insanely blessed

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

:bisonyes:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I know everyone says to get a cutting mat but I've literally never used mine except to get paint on it

yeah I find it's a lot faster to just cut into my thumb

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Gripweed posted:

Not only is blood thicker than water, it’s thicker than skim milk. So you’ll need to thin before airbrushing.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

The new HG 1/100 Macross VF-19 is due next month, autotranslate works fine on this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNavUcbitfE

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

mllaneza posted:

The new HG 1/100 Macross VF-19 is due next month, autotranslate works fine on this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNavUcbitfE

It's out now on HLJ. I know cause mine's already paid for and shipped. (:peanut:)

boz
Oct 16, 2005

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I know everyone says to get a cutting mat but I've literally never used mine except to get paint on it

I use mine to cut out my decals on

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

Computer lab day! Time to spend 45 minutes trying to load pokemon.com!

Gripweed posted:

:vince:

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I notice a lot of places recommend sanding before priming but errrr not to put too fine on a point on it do you really need to if you're using lacquer? For armour parts sure they're big enough but like half these parts are A) tiny and B) have so many crevices sandpaper won't touch them.

edit: Okay apparently yeah there's actually stuff on the plastic you need to remove and it's a necessary step. More stuff to do!

Pierson fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Jan 27, 2023

Nullkigan
Jul 3, 2009
Release agent residues stopped being a thing like 10 years ago I think? Even for re-prints as I understand it. Lots of guides have been kicking around for longer than that and are based on word of mouth from even further back, so they make a big deal about scrubbing things before painting. Though non-Bandai and especially resin kits probably do need a brief wash just in case.

Primer is a thing you use specifically because it sticks to the models better than the rest of the paint and the paint sticks to it better than bare plastic. Lacquer primer especially is basically going to be unshakeable, so long as you let it cure for the full several days/week before doing anything else to it.

If you really want to, stick the parts with some mildly soapy water in the sonic cleaner you've almost inevitably been convinced into buying to go with the airbrush as a cleaning tool. You used to need to use a toothbrush but who has time for that these days? The Beast of Backlog is already powerful enough! (Aldi does a good sonic cleaner meant for jewelry for £20 apparently; ones on amazon cost £40+ and are, uh, a complete crap-shoot - reviews are not to be trusted directly on the site itself, I got stung by a really crappy unit that had several hundred 5-star reviews. Instead of trying to find a good one and being disappointed, just get the cheap one until you know you need something better.)

If you're working with an expensive aftermarket resin job, or just cheap kits with hairlines cracks and scuffed surfaces compared to Bandai extruded polystyrene/ABS, you might want to look into MrSurfacer after washing the parts - low grits is a mix of primer and liquid filler which will close up small gaps and cracks on the surfaces to even them out, whilst high grit is basically just primer with trace amounts of filler.

I did a HG Windam as my first paint pig to get a feel for the process and see what various colours actually look like on a model. Didn't bother sanding or washing it or anything and it came out fine with acrylic over acrylic, no issues with the paint staying down, smooth, and even (excluding some slight pooling where I screwed up my airbrush control and didn't bother cleaning and reapplying the paint).

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Haha I was totally offered an air-dryer as an add-on but I resisted the urge. Yeah I asked around and seems like old wive's tales are a big thing to watch out for. I'm going to just give a light clean to get rid of dust on this kit and then prime+paint and see how it looks.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Nullkigan posted:

who has time for that these days?

People spending their limited time on earth putting together plastic model kits.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Nullkigan posted:

If you really want to, stick the parts with some mildly soapy water in the sonic cleaner you've almost inevitably been convinced into buying to go with the airbrush as a cleaning tool. You used to need to use a toothbrush but who has time for that these days? The Beast of Backlog is already powerful enough! (Aldi does a good sonic cleaner meant for jewelry for £20 apparently; ones on amazon cost £40+ and are, uh, a complete crap-shoot - reviews are not to be trusted directly on the site itself, I got stung by a really crappy unit that had several hundred 5-star reviews. Instead of trying to find a good one and being disappointed, just get the cheap one until you know you need something better.)

To be fair, they're great for stripping paint off of miniatures without melting the model.

At least, the Aldi one I had was until the magic blue smoke escaped.

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

Neddy Seagoon posted:

HLJ currently has a limited-stock Lucky-Dip plamo blind boxes as a sale. For $60AUD and about $40AUD in shipping you get a guarantee of one Gundam kit, a set of markers, and up to 5 other random Bandai plamo kits for a total of 6 maximum with a guaranteed total value of around double the purchase price.

They had a Large one too for $100AUD that's already just plain gone.

There's also cheaper Lucky Dip boxes for Pokemon plamo kits, Tomica cars, and... *checks notes* ...adult toys.

Tried to buy the Large Bandai and it claims 20,000 in value for 11,224 but rings up in the cart for 20408 without shipping...

Tanon
Mar 14, 2011

I has a hat..
Yeah, ringing one up it’s 184 USD and the cheapest shipping option is 54 on top of that. The small ones are all sold out.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Nullkigan posted:

Lacquer primer especially is basically going to be unshakeable, so long as you let it cure for the full several days/week before doing anything else to it.

This is incredibly valuable when starting out or experimenting; I was able to fully strip one part of acrylic 5 times in 91% isopropyl alcohol before hints of plastic color started peeking through.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Does anyone know anywhere with the Psycho Zaku in stock?

Luchacabra
Jun 12, 2015

Asteroid Alert posted:

Is there any place to order this online? In the US, specifically.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

IG-88 posted:

Does anyone know anywhere with the Psycho Zaku in stock?

What scale?

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Midjack posted:

What scale?

MG 1/100 :/

Edit:

https://www.amazon.com/Bandai-Hobby-PSYCHO-Thunderbolt-Building/dp/B01LEQLBNS

Vs.

https://www.thegundamgalaxy.com/psycho-zaku-master-grade-ver-ka.html

IG-88 fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jan 28, 2023

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Those are both the same kit

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Napoleon Nelson posted:

Those are both the same kit

I think they're talking about the price difference.

A lot of places had them in stock in the last month but they were selling like hotcakes.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

boz posted:

I think they're talking about the price difference.

A lot of places had them in stock in the last month but they were selling like hotcakes.

Yeah, I would rather not fork over $200. lol

And sorry, I meant 1/100. BBTS and the other have it for preorder. Might just do BBTS honestly.

IG-88 fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jan 28, 2023

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

parabolic posted:

Tried to buy the Large Bandai and it claims 20,000 in value for 11,224 but rings up in the cart for 20408 without shipping...

Did you do that right when it started? Because I saw the same for the Small Bandai box and a little later it was fixed.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Luchacabra posted:

Is there any place to order this online? In the US, specifically.

Unfortunately, you can only buy this from Sasadangos online store. Since they only ship domestically in Japan, you need to use a proxy.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
When dalong builds an MG/RG and has pictures of the inner frame entirely exposed (like the Aile Strike here) are they building it in a certain way such as to finish it they would need to fully disassemble it and build it properly, or are some MG kits actually designed that the majority of armor can be removed leaving just the skeleton? Would make airbrushing the frame a ton easier.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jan 28, 2023

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
In case anyone is interested in seeing what the box contents of the Super Sasadango Machine kit looks like, here's the link https://sasadango.thebase.in/items/71156911

Sales start tomorrow and that's the official store to buy it from. For proxy buying, Buyee and Tenso are good.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Pierson posted:

When dalong builds an MG/RG and has pictures of the inner frame entirely exposed (url="http://dalong.net/reviews/mg/m169/m169_p.htm"]like the Aile Strike here[/url]) are they building it in a certain way such as to finish it they would need to fully disassemble it and build it properly, or are some MG kits actually designed that the majority of armor can be removed leaving just the skeleton? Would make airbrushing the frame a ton easier.

You may have to have to take the arms and legs off to get some armor bits off/on but for the most part yes

Tho you're going to miss some spots if you're trying to airbrush the frame while it's assembled

Gundam 3.0 is an exception tho

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*

Pierson posted:

When dalong builds an MG/RG and has pictures of the inner frame entirely exposed (url="http://dalong.net/reviews/mg/m169/m169_p.htm"]like the Aile Strike here[/url]) are they building it in a certain way such as to finish it they would need to fully disassemble it and build it properly, or are some MG kits actually designed that the majority of armor can be removed leaving just the skeleton? Would make airbrushing the frame a ton easier.

The RGs I've been building recently have this awesome picture of the 'inner frame' exposed like that on the box/in the manual, and then a little box saying it's just a 3D render and not something you can actually make. Some of them you can get there anyway, like the Zeong (which they make in a clear variant because they're rightly proud of the internals). But I tried it with the Wing TV and it just looks a bit emaciated. I'm not sure you're meant to be able to take the armor off and see that, though it's obviously not impossible. I felt like it was designed to be made with the armor on as part of the process, and didn't put the parts together firmly when building the 'inner frame' just in case - seems like Dalong felt the same, you can see they've left some space in the photos.

YMMV naturally, I think it probably depends a lot on the kit when it comes to RGs at least.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

War and Pieces posted:

You may have to have to take the arms and legs off to get some armor bits off/on but for the most part yes

Tho you're going to miss some spots if you're trying to airbrush the frame while it's assembled
Thanks. I'll probably take that risk and do touch-ups afterwards if I have to.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://twitter.com/tvtuners/status/1619377575188647936?s=20

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Still got the backpack and weapons to go, but man, pretty fun build

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
So my understanding from asking elsewhere is that for priming I still need to put on a solid coat and ideally it should be in 2-3 coats. If it's taking 4-5 what could that be a sign of? Paint too thin? Pressure too low? I'm mixing primer/color:thinner in 1:1 for now and spraying at about 20psi.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Aslong as the piece is completely primed I don't see that many coats as a problem.

Your building it up and getting a nice even coverage.

You can always add more, but can't take it away.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Puddin posted:

Aslong as the piece is completely primed I don't see that many coats as a problem.

Unless detail is being obscured, then that's too much. But in principle, nope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Pierson posted:

Thanks. I'll probably take that risk and do touch-ups afterwards if I have to.

heads up that it won't work on anything older than the Zaku/Gundam 2.0 generation