Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

overlordbunny
Feb 16, 2011

Clearly all new model lines need to be introduced with a gusion model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

The Unicorn is good, and I'm glad that the line's starting off with it instead of yet another loving RX-78, or god forbid some weird bulbous monstrosity.

I like the Unicorn but it’s way overexposed. I’d have been thrilled to see MGEX line debut with a Leo or Capule with old-school PG levels of detail.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

There's literally no way in hell it wasn't going to be a mainline suit of some kind. They obviously wanted to kick off with a bang, so why not something complicated enough that let them really flex in terms of engineering?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you're right. they should have debuted with the big zam

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Self Transforming Zeta when?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

There's literally no way in hell it wasn't going to be a mainline suit of some kind. They obviously wanted to kick off with a bang, so why not something complicated enough that let them really flex in terms of engineering?

I mean at this point, I don't think there's any suit that would have satisfied most people - the pricetag is already scaring people off. Even if this was a *insert favorite MS here* most would scoff at it. It being another Unicorn is just insult to injury, especially when the PG Unicorn is comparatively priced.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The GP01 would've worked. The existing MG is extremely outdated, and not even the PG got all the mechanical details right. I think even people who aren't themselves GP01 fans, such as myself, would've been like, "yeah fair enough"

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Gripweed posted:

The GP01 would've worked. The existing MG is extremely outdated, and not even the PG got all the mechanical details right. I think even people who aren't themselves GP01 fans, such as myself, would've been like, "yeah fair enough"

This is the right answer. It's a very mechanical design they could have showed a lot off with and its most recent release is a RG. Would have been way more excited at that.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Zedd posted:

Self Transforming Zeta when?

It'll jam and explode halfway through the transformation.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Droyer posted:

There is no Master Grade Vidar

I know, but there's a 1/100 Full Mechanics which is the same scale. I'm not too educated on the differences between MG and the 1/100 line but it can't be that stark. In the HG sphere I've seen my fair share of "this kit it poo poo" that is the silliest hair splitting of all time so in my brain that extended to MG vs. 1/100. Get a robot mans you like, you know?

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

If the core of the new line is extra lighting effects and accessories, then the Unicorn really is the best choice as tired as it may be.

Given the price tag, it's almost cetainly going to be a prestige line, which means no they're not going to use a grunt from 30 year old show no matter how much you wish against sense that it weren't so. They need a highly a recognizable protagonist suit to push the line beyond the usual circle of hardcore builders. Given that they're probably trying to attract younger customers to the brand, RX-78 aside, the first 20 years is out already. That leaves us with Strike/Strike Freedom, 00 Raiser, Unicorn and RX-78. If lighting is to be a big part of MGEX then we can pare that down to 00 and Unicorn and we all know which of those 2 is going to sell better.

Zodack posted:

I know, but there's a 1/100 Full Mechanics which is the same scale. I'm not too educated on the differences between MG and the 1/100 line but it can't be that stark.

Said literally everyone until MG Barbatos came out and taught us all a valuable lesson.

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jul 1, 2020

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

RillAkBea posted:

Said literally everyone until MG Barbatos came out and taught us all a valuable lesson.

I didn't voice it well but my point was more about not worrying about buying a 1/100 Full Mechanics if an MG didn't exist of the kit, not picking between the two. Only a lunatic would pass up the MG Barbatos if they were a fan.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Gripweed posted:

I would have loved this since Stardust Memory is one of my favorites. One of my friends got into this hobby a little while ago, but only because he saw a picture of the Unicorn and thought it looked awesome. So as far as I know, he only owns Unicorn variant gunpla. At build-con he bought the RG Unicorn and Banshee Norn and the PG Unicorn. He's obsessed with this robot, so it makes me feel better about this release cuz like... at least someone is really stoked for it so it's not a total waste of time.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

was unicorn gundam, the series, popular with the young folks?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

RillAkBea posted:

If the core of the new line is extra lighting effects and accessories, then the Unicorn really is the best choice as tired as it may be.

Given the price tag, it's almost cetainly going to be a prestige line, which means no they're not going to use a grunt from 30 year old show no matter how much you wish against sense that it weren't so. They need a highly a recognizable protagonist suit to push the line beyond the usual circle of hardcore builders. Given that they're probably trying to attract younger customers to the brand, RX-78 aside, the first 20 years is out already. That leaves us with Strike/Strike Freedom, 00 Raiser, Unicorn and RX-78. If lighting is to be a big part of MGEX then we can pare that down to 00 and Unicorn and we all know which of those 2 is going to sell better.

I think there is another option. I think there's another protagonist suit, even more recent than 00 and Unicorn, with light up bits all over it.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

if they wanted to show off their engineering prowess they should've debuted with a zeta that doesn't suck

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

they'd have to retcon its stupid squid face first

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

was unicorn gundam, the series, popular with the young folks?

Somewhat. The big Gundam poll from 2018 put it as a favorite for the 20-something demographic, with a reasonable chunk of teens voting for it. Not youth focused as IBO votes, but not old either.

Zodar
May 21, 2007

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

or god forbid some weird bulbous monstrosity.

Those are the best/only good mobile suits

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Zodar posted:

Those are the best/only good mobile suits

What's your favourite?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

RillAkBea posted:

That leaves us with Strike/Strike Freedom, 00 Raiser, Unicorn and RX-78. If lighting is to be a big part of MGEX then we can pare that down to 00 and Unicorn and we all know which of those 2 is going to sell better.

Why leave out Barbatos when talking about main line protagonist suits when you mention the MG release? It even had multiple printings before it was officially released, so there’s obviously a demand there.

Rabbi Tupac
Jan 1, 2010

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

chiasaur11 posted:

Sadly, there's not a MG Vidar or MG Kimaris yet. There's 1/100 kits of both, so you have models in scale with inner frames, but they're not up to full MG standards.

My mistake, I just saw 1:100 and assumed they were MG.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Solkanar512 posted:

Why leave out Barbatos when talking about main line protagonist suits when you mention the MG release? It even had multiple printings before it was officially released, so there’s obviously a demand there.

Because it literally just had a MG release with multiple printing that sold out in preorders. People just bought an MG Barbatos, not all of them are going to be eager to buy another slightly different and five times as expensive MG Barbatos a few months later

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Gripweed posted:

Because it literally just had a MG release with multiple printing that sold out in preorders. People just bought an MG Barbatos, not all of them are going to be eager to buy another slightly different and five times as expensive MG Barbatos a few months later

Plus i'm not even sure what a MG"EX" Barbatos could do engineering-wise that the current MG doesn't.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

MGEX should've been a GP03S with a 1/100 Dendrobium the size of my car with lights and sound and could actually fly don't @ me

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

JoeGlassJAw posted:

MGEX should've been a GP03S with a 1/100 Dendrobium the size of my car with lights and sound and could actually fly don't @ me

I’m gonna @ you.

You’re absolutely right.

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
i don’t think it would have been a good choice to do the gp01 for the first MGEX, it’d be better served getting a 2.0. my gut says that MGEX gonna be a “MG with LED kits” line which sure, the 1/100 unicorn family could use a rework

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Are there really that many other suits with tons of glowy bits? Seems like the big draw of MGEX is the LED stuff.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Marx Headroom posted:

Are there really that many other suits with tons of glowy bits? Seems like the big draw of MGEX is the LED stuff.

I know of one! A recent protagonist suit with several glowing bits on it! That doesn't even have an MG!

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://twitter.com/SpaceQueenEmily/status/1278429626734436353?s=20

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Gripweed posted:

I know of one! A recent protagonist suit with several glowing bits on it! That doesn't even have an MG!

Fans: G-Self?
Bandai: No, F-You.

mobile suit goatse
Apr 21, 2010

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Monkey's paw: Yet another RX-78-2

lol

mobile suit goatse
Apr 21, 2010

Gripweed posted:

Yes, we need MG 2.0's of the 0083 kits

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

so this isn't strictly gunpla but:

So my parents are cleaning out their attic and gave me several boxes of old transformers. I'm thinking of selling these and figured I'd post them here in case anyone's interested.

https://imgur.com/a/YY2Kdr5

If you are interested PM me or contact me on discord (Droyer#6908). I can also take pics of other modes and answer questions about condition there.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

When will there be a kit of the loving bandit

mobile suit goatse
Apr 21, 2010

Stairmaster posted:

they'd have to retcon its stupid squid face first

excuse me

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Droyer posted:

so this isn't strictly gunpla but:

So my parents are cleaning out their attic and gave me several boxes of old transformers. I'm thinking of selling these and figured I'd post them here in case anyone's interested.

https://imgur.com/a/YY2Kdr5

If you are interested PM me or contact me on discord (Droyer#6908). I can also take pics of other modes and answer questions about condition there.

You should post that in the BSS toys thread, there's some Transformers fans in there I think

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3068921&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

d3lness posted:

Fans: G-Self?
Bandai: No, F-You.

I wonder if the G-Else was released partially to test the claimed interest.

There's a lot of people saying they want a G-Self, but the kits only sold okay at best, the show's ratings were better than expected for the timeslot, but not amazing, the DVD sales were worse than IBO season 1 or Build Fighters, but better than their sequels, and in general (as best I can tell without the movie box office numbers), it falls into an area where nobody at Bandai can know how it sells, while suspecting it's not going to be worth the investment of a full Master Grade.

A Build Fighter kit is a good way to see how much people like the design independent of the show context.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Gripweed posted:

You should post that in the BSS toys thread, there's some Transformers fans in there I think

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3068921&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

BSS has a dedicated transformers thread and i already posted it there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Joke option: MGEX G-Saviour.