Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
The MG EX Unicorn price point makes "sense" when you remember they want $150 for the PG exia's led kit too. Throw a premium master grade on top of that...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

LibrarianCroaker posted:

The MG EX Unicorn price point makes "sense" when you remember they want $150 for the PG exia's led kit too. Throw a premium master grade on top of that...

Yes, but have you considered :jerkbag:

Aimed at Bandai, not the quoted goon.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I got some robots!

https://imgur.com/a/JJQ9I3K

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Shipping from Japan is killing me, even surface mail on 1kg is over $20. Why oh why are so many sales going on right now!

I bet DHL is over $40

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I wish those VOTOMS Bandai kits got a new print run, the Scopedog RSC seems to be going for ridiculous prices on Mandarake and eBay

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Zeether posted:

I wish those VOTOMS Bandai kits got a new print run, the Scopedog RSC seems to be going for ridiculous prices on Mandarake and eBay

They ran some a year or so back, give it a few months.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

Hell Gem

Vaporware posted:

Shipping from Japan is killing me, even surface mail on 1kg is over $20. Why oh why are so many sales going on right now!

I bet DHL is over $40

Same here. My last order of five kits did cost me about EURO 110.00 in FedEx shipping and about the same amount in tolls and fees. If I look at the HLJ prices I can pretty much simply double them to see what I really pay for each kit. :shepspends:

This is also why I really hope this hobby will not end in an addiction and I will manage to curate my collection and limit its size. :v:

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

BizarroAzrael posted:

The Messer has just been released, HLJ previously said it wouldn't be until the end of the month.

Bandai doesn't announce exact release dates until the end of the prior month so sites usually just list it as the end of the release month as a placeholder.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

Tarquinn posted:

Same here. My last order of five kits did cost me about EURO 110.00 in FedEx shipping and about the same amount in tolls and fees. If I look at the HLJ prices I can pretty much simply double them to see what I really pay for each kit. :shepspends:

Good grief!

I console myself that I don't buy anything on a whim direct from JP and in a few years all I remember is how much I enjoyed the things I took the effort to track down.

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

Two new kits completed.

The Vual, despite being an awesome kit has a couple of brutal stickers on it.

I'm surprised at the Destiny 2 / Ultraman feel of the Dantalion (backpack / punch arms left off just for this pic). Definitely need to buy another one so I can have both. Cheeks really should have had yellow parts instead of being a sticker, though.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Tarquinn posted:

This is also why I really hope this hobby will not end in an addiction and I will manage to curate my collection and limit its size. :v:

Yeah I bought the Kobu Kai and Sakura's Spiricle Striker and I think the shipping was more than the two kits (to Aus via DHL, FedEx was more expensive yet). They did arrive real quick at least but uhhh yeah, whew.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Really wish the IBO MS Option packs would get a full reprint run, because I sorely want the ones with arm-mounted cannons for the 30MM kit I have, and one I'm planning to build :shepspends:.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

White glue worked on the Valk's stickers, thank god

Now I just need to panel line the rest and maybe put all 30 of the undercarriage stickers on at some point :suicide:

Never gonna buy another Macross kit after this, I'd take shelling out 200+ for a DX Chogokin or old Yamato over kits, even the Delta ones that transform are apparently a fiddly mess. Seems like the only way to go kit wise is Hasegawa's stuff and I can't paint for poo poo.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I feel you. I built and stickered a 1/100 VF-25 for a friend's birthday. It was laaaaaaaate. It was a pain in the aaaaaaaass.

But god help me I'm going to do it again. With masking tape and the airbrush. But not as my first plane kit !

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Which is the best Zaku family MG model in terms of build quality/engineering?

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Well, Fedex can kiss my fat goony rear end. They claim to have delivered my Newtype shipment about an hour and a half ago.. but I've been home all day and nothing's shown up. I saw the delivery notice maybe 15 or 20 minutes after it was allegedly delivered, checked every possible place it could have been left, but nothing. Called them and had to speak to two different reps because the first call was disconnected as soon as I gave her the tracking number. Second rep said it'll take a few days for them to investigate and they'll give me a call if anything comes up. Bah. :argh:

This package has supposedly been "out for delivery" since about 7:30 am yesterday. At first that had me thinking "hey cool, it's been less than 24 hours since I placed this order, and it's a federal holiday.." but I guess that was a bunch of bullshit. :sigh:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

FedEx is competing with the no-name carriers to be at the absolute bottom of the list. It's a real shame, but change stores rather than risk a FedEx shipment.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

mango sentinel posted:

Which is the best Zaku family MG model in terms of build quality/engineering?

Any of the MG 2.0 Zakus are going to be the same robot with different guns and details so anything 2007 or later will probably be more or less equal. Check dalong, as always.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
anyone here built the RG Tallgeese EW version? i've never built a "Gundam" style RG, just Zakus (oh jesus the tubes) so i'm just curious if there's any little quirks to watch for

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Million Ghosts posted:

anyone here built the RG Tallgeese EW version? i've never built a "Gundam" style RG, just Zakus (oh jesus the tubes) so i'm just curious if there's any little quirks to watch for

I'm in the middle of building it now, it's pretty nice so far. I've got the legs and body finished and the backpack looks crazy cool with "all the rockets".

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Million Ghosts posted:

I just finished it last week, it's incredibly straightforward. Just make sure to follow the instructions when it tells you to put together parts in a certain order, it's usually because they have to slot together a certain way to move.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

mllaneza posted:

FedEx is competing with the no-name carriers to be at the absolute bottom of the list. It's a real shame, but change stores rather than risk a FedEx shipment.

Eh, I might just contact Newtype to see if they can ship via other carriers. I'm not opposed to shopping around and checking out other stores, but so far they've been pretty good to me and the owner seemed hella chill the one time I met him. They used to ship USPS; the Fedex thing seems to be pretty recent. They probably get cheaper rates from Fedex but I'd be willing to pay a little extra to actually have things show up.

If we ever find a cure for Covid, I might just shop there in person, since their warehouse is maybe 20 mins from me. Sad I never got to go before all this poo poo happened.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Bees on Wheat posted:

Eh, I might just contact Newtype to see if they can ship via other carriers. I'm not opposed to shopping around and checking out other stores, but so far they've been pretty good to me and the owner seemed hella chill the one time I met him. They used to ship USPS; the Fedex thing seems to be pretty recent. They probably get cheaper rates from Fedex but I'd be willing to pay a little extra to actually have things show up.

If we ever find a cure for Covid, I might just shop there in person, since their warehouse is maybe 20 mins from me. Sad I never got to go before all this poo poo happened.

I love their storefront even though I have to drive an hour or so to get there. Totally worth it. I just ordered from them the other day and or was usps. Wonder why you got FedEx

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Null of Undefined posted:

I love their storefront even though I have to drive an hour or so to get there. Totally worth it. I just ordered from them the other day and or was usps. Wonder why you got FedEx

No idea! My last.. maybe 3 orders have been Fedex. One of them took a week to get here just because they can't figure out how the intercom/buzzer for my apartment works even though it has directions printed on it, and I have a Fedex account with instructions in my delivery notes. The instructions are literally just "dial apartment number, wait for buzzer". :sigh:

I always buy enough stuff to get the free shipping option, maybe that's got something to do with it? I've never tried any of the paid options.

In less depressing news, did y'all know they sell Gundams at Target now? I normally wouldn't buy hobby stuff at a big box store, but I mean it was right there.

I left the Unicorn on the shelf.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Bees on Wheat posted:

No idea! My last.. maybe 3 orders have been Fedex. One of them took a week to get here just because they can't figure out how the intercom/buzzer for my apartment works even though it has directions printed on it, and I have a Fedex account with instructions in my delivery notes. The instructions are literally just "dial apartment number, wait for buzzer". :sigh:

I always buy enough stuff to get the free shipping option, maybe that's got something to do with it? I've never tried any of the paid options.

In less depressing news, did y'all know they sell Gundams at Target now? I normally wouldn't buy hobby stuff at a big box store, but I mean it was right there.

I left the Unicorn on the shelf.

Deliveries are one of the worst parts of apartment livin for sure. When I was in an apartment I set up a PO box first thing cuz I don't trust my neighbors, or the delivery poeple.

Edit: What the gently caress is up with the forum styling rn?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Some posters in the Anime Death Tentacle Rape Whorehouse demanded a custom stylesheet that includes the image you see behind everything and also puts the poster names and avs on the right because Japan reads right to left, ha ha funy joek.

Adblocking https://forums.somethingawful.com/css/adtrw.css will zap the graphic, still looking to see what will put things back on the left side.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Trying something new at the request of a number of users. This is still very much a work in progress and we're hoping to add a number of features, including the option to disable it without needing to adblock things. Any feedback is welcome here (on QCS) and/or here (within the sub-forum).

Magical Bee
Jul 30, 2013

Million Ghosts posted:

I put this together today, and since it was only my second kit and it went together without too many tears I think it was probably a fairly easy kit. I had to be pretty aggressive with cutting off the nubs or else nothing would fit together, and the stickers were hell, but that's probably just how RGs are.

I did notice that the white parts have some sort of pearly finish on it that got scuffed up pretty easily. It has a ton of undergated parts, so it's not too bad, but I did end up with a few rough spots on the back of the neck.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

NewtypeHQ is low on Vallejo paints. Who else is a favored, ideally domestic, reseller ?

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I'd almost given up on the RG Eva Unit-0 DX edition but I found one in a store by coincidence today. I've only put together the positron rifle so far but it's pretty amazing. It's way beyond the level of standard Gunpla weapons in parts count and complexity. The only downside is the G parts will require you to disassemble Eva 01's shoulder binder if you've already built it.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Anyone have advice for scribing? Based on this video and a few others I'm trying to follow the directions but I'm getting horrible results. Tape refuses to stay, scriber refuses to follow the tape and trying to "turn" and connect lines is a joke. I said gently caress the tape and it actually looked the same. I'm at a loss and it's absolutely aggravating.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

mllaneza posted:

NewtypeHQ is low on Vallejo paints. Who else is a favored, ideally domestic, reseller ?

I don’t know if they’re favored by the thread but I found some recently at scale hobbyist and Burbank’s house of hobbies. Burbank’s particularly shipped stupid fast.

I love my RG Tallgeese but he really does need a stand to operate right.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Vorenus posted:

Anyone have advice for scribing? Based on this video and a few others I'm trying to follow the directions but I'm getting horrible results. Tape refuses to stay, scriber refuses to follow the tape and trying to "turn" and connect lines is a joke. I said gently caress the tape and it actually looked the same. I'm at a loss and it's absolutely aggravating.

Scribing tape loses its tack very easily. Use tweezers and try not to touch it with your greasy digits.
When cutting let the scribing tool do the work. Make repeated light passes and don't force it.
Addressing the part is key. Make sure that you have a firm grip at a comfortable angle and you can see what you're doing clearly.
The act of drawing of the tool across the part is far less important than the preparation.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

Vaporware posted:

I bet DHL is over $40
it was $50.
This box better be freaking huge.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Vaporware posted:

I bet DHL is over $40

Surface mail isn't gonna be cheaper in the US, because it means some poor bastard's driving a truck through COVID-infested regions to get it to you.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

mllaneza posted:

I had a good experience with Miniature Market buying some Mecha Color stuff about a year ago as they had some colors I couldn't find elsewhere.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

Hell Gem

mllaneza posted:

Well, probably not a popular or cheap choice, but Games Workshop's paints are really good.

Teehee, totally misread that.

Tarquinn fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jul 6, 2020

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

mllaneza posted:

Okay hands up ! Who wanted another Unicorn Gundam ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jesDcNYd0s

MG-EX grade is now a thing.

I already pre-ordered this thing, but: fuuuuuuuuuck.

Million Ghosts posted:

It's such a great kit. Looks amazing, and the build goes together super quick - compared to the RG Zaku it's a loving dreamboat. Only think to watch out for is all the sliding mechanisms and gimmicks, but I don't remember any real "gotchas" in the build, just having to follow the instructions real carefully.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

mllaneza posted:

Scale Hobbyist is my first stop for online supply orders lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I'm very interested to see reviews of the MGEX Unicorn. Considering how many good Unicorn options there already are, Bandai is gonna really have to knock it out of the park. Especially with how expensive it is. If it's just OK, just a little better than the existing MG, that's gonna be a real bad start to the MGEX line