Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Puddin posted:

You know what's great when your hand painting? Puppy training pads. Super absorbant and they cover a large area for any spills and what not.

huh thats actually not a bad idea, thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

hostess with the Moltres posted:

What color markers should I get for panel lining? Right now I have a The Origin Gundam and Char's Zaku II, an HG Wing Zero, an HG Leo, and an RG Eva Unit 01.

I bought a set on Amazon that had grey/brown/black Gundam Markers, and never really felt like I needed anything else. Typically I use grey on white plastic, and black on everything else, but brown on gold/yellow is something I've meant to try.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

What color markers should I get for panel lining? Right now I have a The Origin Gundam and Char's Zaku II, an HG Wing Zero, an HG Leo, and an RG Eva Unit 01.

Black on dark colors, grey on light colors, Red on (lighters) red-related tones, at least that works for me.

Burns
May 10, 2008

http://imgur.com/gallery/Ca2poDl

I cannot seem to decide on a good colour scheme for the NA Type Gundam. So far i made it a metallic undercoat. Im thinking greens and greys with yellow markings.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

ANAmal.net posted:

I bought a set on Amazon that had grey/brown/black Gundam Markers, and never really felt like I needed anything else. Typically I use grey on white plastic, and black on everything else, but brown on gold/yellow is something I've meant to try.

That's a good basic set. If you aren't painting kits, you may want a wide assortment of colors (including white) to help cover up the stress marks where you clipped the part off the runner. I also try to never use a sticker for something I can do with a marker.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Wildcard option: A pot of games workshop Nuln oil gloss (must be gloss!!!), a nice detail brush, and some airbrush cleaner and cotton buds for cleanups.

It's a trickier method, but the end result is far superior.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

It's happening!

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

drat, how big are those boxes?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Xaerael posted:

It's happening!

Holy poo poo.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Ibblebibble posted:

drat, how big are those boxes?

Scale-chan (1/144 RG Zaku) would like to show you

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Jesus Christ.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Weird thing is the Penny has the longer manual. (but I guess a chunk is dedicated to clipping the armour on the Oddyseus.)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
off topic, but are those akira animation cels on the wall there?

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Endorph posted:

off topic, but are those akira animation cels on the wall there?

Yep! I was a big animation production collector in the 90's. I have boxes of cels/dougas/gengas (mostly Akira.) The Tetsuo +Bike cel on the left is my crown jewel, after I foolishly sold my multilayer of the whole gang from the bit where the military pick up Tetsuo for the first time. I also had a really sweet cel of mutated Tetsuo being absorbed by the white light, but it was a bit hosed (lots of cracks/paper sticking), and someone made me a stupid offer for it.

Best part of my collection is about 30% of the cels from the scene where Akira's orb emerges from the stadium. but that's not something I can really display!

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

First pics of the new Wing Zero Ver. Ka are out.

https://bandai-hobby.net/item/3954/

It looks pretty good! It comes with the non-canonical shield so it can do bird mode and it has some hardpoints in the wrists for the twin buster rifles which should be required by law, really.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

RillAkBea posted:

It looks pretty good! It comes with the non-canonical shield so it can do bird mode and it has some hardpoints in the wrists for the twin buster rifles which should be required by law, really.

It looks great, I'm way into the folding guns and bird mode

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I'm not a huge fan of that series, but that's a fine-looking Gundam.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

mllaneza posted:

I'm not a huge fan of that series, but that's a fine-looking Gundam.

gundamwing.txt

Great designs, terrible story.

e.

Dendrobium gun vs Zaku size comparison.

Xaerael fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Sep 17, 2020

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

RillAkBea posted:

Wow that crouching pose looks amazing, that's really impressive. The old 1/100 HG was one of the first kits I ever built so it's nostalgic for me. I prefer 1/144 these days but I might have to pick this up.

Also Xaerael I'm excited to see your Dendrobium build. I don't do much modeling anymore but that kit was like my holy grail as a kid.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

Xaerael posted:

gundamwing.txt

Great designs, terrible story.

e.

Dendrobium gun vs Zaku size comparison.

:stare:

I know this thing is big but goddamn.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

How are the new 1/20 Sakura Wars kits? Been eyeing the one of Sakura's Kobu from the OG series and it looks good aside from some stuff that would need painting like the fan on the back

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

JoeGlassJAw posted:

Wow that crouching pose looks amazing, that's really impressive. The old 1/100 HG was one of the first kits I ever built so it's nostalgic for me. I prefer 1/144 these days but I might have to pick this up.

Also Xaerael I'm excited to see your Dendrobium build. I don't do much modeling anymore but that kit was like my holy grail as a kid.

It's actually been my object of Gunpla desire since the very first day I started the hobby.

I should say it now... This ain't gonna be a straight build. I've already cut a pretty big hole into the side of the gun since that photo for a heatsink. I also have a ton of LEDs and an Arduino Uno on the way.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Zeether posted:

How are the new 1/20 Sakura Wars kits? Been eyeing the one of Sakura's Kobu from the OG series and it looks good aside from some stuff that would need painting like the fan on the back

I did the exact same kit not long ago. It was really interesting to put together, only thing is there's a seam going on the top of the triangular bit and I think a couple on the wrists.

The plastic is a nice pearl pink - not quite the pearl coat of some exclusives, so if you just want it to look nice, it'd make for a fine snap build. I painted mine with pink paint, then a few coats of thinned-down Vallejo Metal Medium to give it just enough sparkle, finished with Vallejo Metal Air clear topcoat to maintain the luster.

The swords are a bit meh, though. The gold parts are the awful curry gold color of the new HG Hyaku Shiki. A gold Sharpie or Gundam Marker is darn near required to make 'em look okay. The gray for the blade is a standard plastic-lookin' thing that improves with baremetal paint.

The interior is pretty nifty - there are decals for screens, fabric-braided wire, and if you're into painting minis, the pilot figures have lots of great detail. The cockpit half slides open to display the interior, which is really cool.

Could have sworn I posted photos somewhere but they're AWOL and I'm lazy. It's definitely worth the time to build and enjoy.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
Gundam Planet has two pages of damaged box stuff on discount. Includes stuff like the HG Penelope and the MG Kyrios, plus a bunch of random HGs.

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!

Endorph posted:

Gundam Planet has two pages of damaged box stuff on discount. Includes stuff like the HG Penelope and the MG Kyrios, plus a bunch of random HGs.

Thank you, and also, crap. I keep telling people I've got enough gundams for a while and I keep being proven wrong!

e: Speaking of getting more models than I need the Japanese P-Bandai site is touting international shipping. If there's something I've really got my eye on, does it make more sense to go through the hassle of using a site that I'm not really able to read (and then waiting on international shipping), or should I just wait for the US store release?

Just Dan Again fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Sep 17, 2020

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

MJP posted:

I did the exact same kit not long ago. It was really interesting to put together, only thing is there's a seam going on the top of the triangular bit and I think a couple on the wrists.

The plastic is a nice pearl pink - not quite the pearl coat of some exclusives, so if you just want it to look nice, it'd make for a fine snap build. I painted mine with pink paint, then a few coats of thinned-down Vallejo Metal Medium to give it just enough sparkle, finished with Vallejo Metal Air clear topcoat to maintain the luster.

The swords are a bit meh, though. The gold parts are the awful curry gold color of the new HG Hyaku Shiki. A gold Sharpie or Gundam Marker is darn near required to make 'em look okay. The gray for the blade is a standard plastic-lookin' thing that improves with baremetal paint.

The interior is pretty nifty - there are decals for screens, fabric-braided wire, and if you're into painting minis, the pilot figures have lots of great detail. The cockpit half slides open to display the interior, which is really cool.

Could have sworn I posted photos somewhere but they're AWOL and I'm lazy. It's definitely worth the time to build and enjoy.
Thanks, I might get it. I'm not planning on painting but it seems okay with the bare plastic. I kind of want to do the pilot figure though and I don't know if I can just primer+hand paint or use paint markers

Zeether fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Sep 17, 2020

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Pics of the RG Zeong are out.

https://bandai-hobby.net/item/4261/

Also despite the price tag it turns out that the last shooting set does not include the Gundam.

https://bandai-hobby.net/item/4262/

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Wow that looks way, way, way better than I thought it would

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

Bit late on big box chat, but I got this last week:

Kshat box is loving huge, it makes my RG Full Armour Unicorn's box look small.
Also have a HG psycho gundam coming, too. That thing's a beefcake.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

RillAkBea posted:

Pics of the RG Zeong are out.

https://bandai-hobby.net/item/4261/

Also despite the price tag it turns out that the last shooting set does not include the Gundam.

https://bandai-hobby.net/item/4262/

That's just the 30 Minute Missions hangar set! You can't fool me, Bandai!

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Mephiston posted:

I still live under the delusion that one day we will have an MG Kshatriya. I get the logic behind bigger = cool, but there's an increasing number of suits that will never be MG'd. The Odysseus is the latest to join that group.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Xaerael posted:

I still live under the delusion that one day we will have an MG Kshatriya. I get the logic behind bigger = cool, but there's an increasing number of suits that will never be MG'd. The Odysseus is the latest to join that group.

Back when RE/100 was announced the Kshatriya was an example of the kind of suit they would do.

Then they went and gave the Jegan a MG so who knows.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

Mephiston posted:

I'm still shook by how big the MGEX Unicorn box is:

There's 45 runners in here.

Burns
May 10, 2008

How much was the unicorn?

Nm, i thought it was the new one.

I found a waterslide decals seller on ebay out of china. Anyone have any experience with these?

Burns fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Sep 18, 2020

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Burns posted:

I found a waterslide decals seller on ebay out of china. Anyone have any experience with these?

Baaaaaaaad. I junked an EX-S because of chinese ebay decals.

They sit really badly, and look like poo poo.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Gripweed posted:

Back when RE/100 was announced the Kshatriya was an example of the kind of suit they would do.

Still waiting for a 1/100 scale non Resin/third party Reborns.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

Burns posted:

It is the new one! With the lighting and all. It was like $220 on HLJ, and then I paid too much for shipping because I'm a dumb dumb and didn't just buy the loving thing from a domestic seller.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Burns posted:

It depends on the brand. SIMP decals are pretty good.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Gripweed posted:

Ditto with the GM Sniper II

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Zedd posted:

Still waiting for a 1/100 scale non Resin/third party Reborns.

Still waiting on the RG Ground Type...