Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

LibrarianCroaker posted:

There is 100% going to be a full armor/banshee/phenex.

Sounds like the surface armor is mostly undergated, so the phenex won't be a mess of missing coating, at least.

Missing coating and terrible fitting, you mean. The MG Phenex was the biggest headache to build.

I just hope they don't P-Bandai all over them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I was halfway through building a Jesta when the 30MM tank vehicle showed up, and now I have a monster.

I always did like the PS1 Armored Core designs

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

anybody have thoughts on colored resin for garage and conversion kits? i know it's popular in the toy world but i feel like people are planning on painting a gk anyway

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

everythingWasBees posted:

anybody have thoughts on colored resin for garage and conversion kits? i know it's popular in the toy world but i feel like people are planning on painting a gk anyway

I'm lazy and suck at painting so I'm all on board for it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I was halfway through building a Jesta when the 30MM tank vehicle showed up, and now I have a monster.

As a suggestion you should swap the Jesta for a Jesta Cannon instead, just for the shoulder cannons.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

'with all this time on my hand maybe i should buy a few hgs and get back into gunpla'

three months later:

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

I'm kinda tempted to dedicate 2021 to nothing but Jazzed up HG kits. Possibly something like a family tree of MSes. Probably either Zaku or Zeta (though Zetas get spendy thanks to Advance of Zeta being stupidly P-Bandai).

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

As a suggestion you should swap the Jesta for a Jesta Cannon instead, just for the shoulder cannons.

I would if I had one, but this wasn't an intended build or anything, just "this is on my desk right now and this came in the mail, let's slam them together"

Xaerael posted:

I'm kinda tempted to dedicate 2021 to nothing but Jazzed up HG kits. Possibly something like a family tree of MSes. Probably either Zaku or Zeta (though Zetas get spendy thanks to Advance of Zeta being stupidly P-Bandai).

I'm thinking about doing the same thing, I'd like to have a really nice version of all the protagonist suits since I'm working my way through all the shows with the Great Gundam Project podcast.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Thought this might be of interest to the thread, Square is doing a model kit of a Flight Unit & 2B from Nier Automata.

Looks like Square is making it themselves, so no idea what the build quality will be like. No idea if they've done model kits before.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Veotax posted:

Thought this might be of interest to the thread, Square is doing a model kit of a Flight Unit & 2B from Nier Automata.

Looks like Square is making it themselves, so no idea what the build quality will be like. No idea if they've done model kits before.

:yokotaro:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Veotax posted:

It's going to be pretty big, apparently. Height's comparable to large MGs like the Nu. The 2B pilot figure is articulated, might be able to pose decently on its own.

Unfortunately, it's going to need at least some painting, unknown how much. And, you know. Unknown how Square's model kit making is. They're releasing some small Front Mission kits this year, which might be helpful in assessing the likely quality.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

I'm super sceptical. The build on the Front Mission kits looks like low to average HG, and looking close at the Nier kit.... it seems like a very expensive kit for what you're getting. It's transformation looks great, until you start noticing things like the hands don't fold away and need to be removed.

I mean, it'll be a great kit for Nier fans. But I think anyone who's made a decent transformable MG will feel stung by the price tag.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Veotax posted:

Nah, it's Koto. They also announced that it's going to be similar to hand scale or hexagear if any of y'all are familiar.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Ooof that's a rough price tag.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Nah, it's Koto. They also announced that it's going to be similar to hand scale or hexagear if any of y'all are familiar.

Ooh, that makes me more hopeful. At least for colour accuracy. I've never built a Koto kit (really ned to get around to building my Rex) but I know they're liked.

gently caress it, I'm a massive Nier mark, I've put a pre-order down. Try to actually practice painting before it arrives, although the paint scheme on the flight unit itself is pretty simple.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Nah, it's Koto.

Well that explains the price at least.

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug
For what it's worth I like the koto kits I've made, but the really do need a paint job to look their best. The Rex and Vic Viper I made especially needed paint jobs.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

TaurusOxford posted:

Well that explains the price at least.

It's pretty high, but non-Bandai kits tend to cost somewhere around twice as much to begin with, licensed kits are more expensive than brands owned in-house, and this thing's large master grade sized. It's "Oh, okay, that makes sense" expensive, not "what even is this price?" expensive.

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib
Ooooh, I've been wondering and waiting for a kit/figure of the flight unit. Might have to splurge and get that, build it up and display in flight mode.

I've built a few Koto kits, never had any issues with them really. Comparing injection kits to Bandai is a tad unfair in a lot of cases I think.

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
I know we all have varying degrees of backlog, but do y'all ever feel guilty adding to it? I've been pre-ordering P-Bandai stuff since the US store launched at the start of April, and now a huge chunk of it just shipped and is arriving on the same day next week. Even though the buying was spread out over six months, I feel like crap because I have 18 kits/accessories suddenly appearing all at once and my backlog tripling in size. I keep trying to tell myself that it'll all be built eventually, but I think I need to straight-up stop letting FOMO getting to me with this limited stuff.

And for non-venting content, I finished my build for the Grunt contest:

The HaroLoader Haro! Wait, what's special about that?

He's been taken over by Kremzeek!

This is my second Transformers-inspired paintjob. Constructicon HaroLoader!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

You recognize that you have a bunch of stuff and it will take some time to get through, which is the critical part of not letting a stockpile blow up to ridiculous levels of hoarding like Bimmi and me.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

For me I just stick to 1-2 RG kits a month which I can get through in a couple of weeks. Keeps me paced.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Not including stands and accessories packs, my backlog is at 17 kits and I added one to it yesterday.

My problem is that we had to clear the flat for an exterminator to spray a few months back (don't get bed bugs, they loving suck) and I haven't gotten around to putting everything back. Most of my built kits are sitting un-posed in a box.

Going to try to build something this weekend I think.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

11 if you count the Dendro's GP03 Stamen. (I'm counting the Dendro built, as I've pretty much put all the different parts together and pulled everything apart for painting)

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I currently have 3 HG's (so a day build) and 5 MG's in backlog.

Once they are all done though, I will have the ultimate Setsuna display (Exia R1, 00 XN Raiser, 00Q FS). :getin:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

14 large kits, not counting the half-painted Queadlun Rao, the under construction MG Zaku II, and a bunch of smaller kits.

Also not counting planes and boats I've had for loving ever but can properly move on now that I've got the air brush.

Or my private warehouse at HLJ.

Uh oh.

Hi, I'm mllaneza and I collect model kits.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
I'm about to move on like a half dozen snap fitted kits with the airbrush too. Just gotta keep reminding myself the reward is in the ritual namaste

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Argh when is the RG Zeong going to be on preorder?!?! Release is 2021 apparently?

I never even liked the Zeong! How did they make it look so good

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Yeah it looks drat cool. Apparently it's slated to cost more than the RG FA Unicorn though? :negative:

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
technically yeah, msrp 5500 yen vs 5400 yen. the FA Unicorn might have a cut down price if your shop wants to move some old stock or something, i guess.

unless you want the last shooting premium kit, which yeah, way more expensive.

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
HG Barbados was a fun easy build and good to practice panel lining on but it’s power symbol stickers really make me want to get some markers to draw in those grooves instead since they don’t stay on that well. The same goes for most of the other stickers on barbados’ back legs. The ones on the sides of its skirt seem okay but it can be hard to tell.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

LibrarianCroaker posted:

technically yeah, msrp 5500 yen vs 5400 yen. the FA Unicorn might have a cut down price if your shop wants to move some old stock or something, i guess.

unless you want the last shooting premium kit, which yeah, way more expensive.

Nah, just the regular. I guess the high price despite not having as many accessories as the FA Unicorn is because the Zeong is just a massive chonker?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ibblebibble posted:

Nah, just the regular. I guess the high price despite not having as many accessories as the FA Unicorn is because the Zeong is just a massive chonker?

Partially. But I think it's also reuse potential. When Bandai can reuse a mold, they can make kits cheaper, since the initial investment gets split between multiple designs. It's part of why the IBO kits were so much cheaper than most other lines.

The Unicorn can sell three mainline releases and a ton of exclusives, so they can reduce the cost a little and still be sure they'll get it back. Meanwhile, the Zeong's a weird bad guy suit that doesn't have any reuse in the main shows. It's more of a risk, so the costs don't have as any places it can be moved.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

this is also why there's barely any turn-a kits

Kao_Pai
Mar 25, 2003
Feels like it's been forever since I did a Zaku. I love them but I'll never stop hating the tubings. MG Zaku Cannon

Full gallery is here https://imgur.com/user/kaopai/posts

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

hostess with the Moltres posted:

HG Barbados was a fun easy build and good to practice panel lining on but it’s power symbol stickers really make me want to get some markers to draw in those grooves instead since they don’t stay on that well. The same goes for most of the other stickers on barbados’ back legs. The ones on the sides of its skirt seem okay but it can be hard to tell.

Never use a sticker when you can use a marker. They're extremely useful, so I've got three sets of Gundam markers, a 24-pen set of fine point Sharpies, and a couple of white markers. The white pens are basically a paint stick complete with an agitator to keep it from clumping up between uses. That thing has been a lifesaver in a lot of cases. Like I'm painting an MG Zaku II right now, including a yellow inner lining (orange and 2 layers of yellow over gray primer) on the thrusters. The main backpack pair however snaps on to a rotating post, so there's a hole in the bottom showing dark gray. That got a dot of white and then some red over it and now my thrusters look super cool. My next step is to clean up the edges a little with a black pen.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Can someone remind me what the grunt contest requirements were?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Can someone remind me what the grunt contest requirements were?

1) Build a grunt suit
2) Post a grunt suit

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

1) Build a grunt suit
2) Post a grunt suit

Get it, got it, good.

I shall acquire an HGUC Loto and a 30MM Alto, and it shall be called... the LOLto.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Sep 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Arcsquad12 posted:

Get it, got it, good.

I shall acquire an HGUC Loto and a 30MM Alto, and it shall be called... the LOLto.

Good luck. I recently built the Loto and it's not a great kit. Lots of compromises to make everything fit in scale.