Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

It's been a looong time since i built any gunpla but i was bored yesterday and decided to build my zaku I origins, its the first origins kit i've done and man it was fun to build and the poseability is great. I decided to add a few bits from other random gunpla kits I had around to make it a zaku I custom designed for urban combat

i wanted to give it some crackers too but surprisingly none of the kits i have had any. can anyone recommend me a good cheap hguc kit that comes with some?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Are the non-pour markers (GM01/GM02 200, blue marker body) safe to use on ABS? I think the kit I'm working on now might be the first kit I've had where this would be an issue.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I got some Gundam Markers now. How does the lining work?

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

Gm01/gm02? Color in the gaps, white off the extra with your finger. Quick and dirty but adds a lot

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
I was thinking of which kit to to paint first to learn how to use an airbrush. I haven’t really painted gunpla before. Should I try painting the HG beyond global gundam first instead of my MG Zaku first?

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Paint the one you care less about screwing up first.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Do a couple of HG kits first. An MG is a real step up in painting complexity.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Bill Posters posted:

Paint the one you care less about screwing up first.

This.

mllaneza posted:

Do a couple of HG kits first. An MG is a real step up in painting complexity.

In some ways MG is easier because the parts have better color separation. I’ve had a number of HGs that needed a lot of masking where I could just pop a part off of the MG and not mask.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Got the front legs done for the Imperialdramon model kit. It’s very fiddly because they need it to be able to go from dragon to fighter mode so you spend a lot of time making joints

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I wish Bandai et all would just do two seperate kits for the robot and it's transformed state, I loving hate building these incredibly fragile over-engineered kits that break the second you stop looking at them. Yes I did try and build a VF-1, and yes I'm mad as hell about it

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I broke my own rule of not getting any kits pre-2010 and built this 2003 HG Z'Gok-E because I liked the design.

Do not make that mistake.

The kit looks alright now that it's done, but it was just the worst part of everything I've built so far rolled into one kit. Extremely obvious nub marks on every single piece, stickers that are thick and just plain don't look good, weird fiddly bits that tend to get themselves misaligned constantly, absolute poo poo tier articulation (also NO EYE ARTICULATION which is KILLING me), the plastic feels old and flimsy, and he cannot hold a single drat pose now that he's finished being built. The boy is a ragdoll on top of having mediocre articulation to begin with.

Still looks nice on a shelf, especially since I painted some gunmetal bits on him to break up the sea of mono-color plastic, but in the future I really should look up reviews if I'm gonna pick up an older kit.

I've learned my lesson.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Fiddly and a little fragile. It transforms so the joints are a lot of work

thetoughestbean fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Feb 22, 2021

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

MonsieurChoc posted:

This works for me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95MD5IXiXqE

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Thanks!

I ordered two more kits: HGUC Gerbera Tetra and Turn A. I am now doomed.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Tetra is pretty but also fairly basic. The Turn A. Is fun and it has a mustache.

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
I want to get an HG Char Zaku II b/c it's more anime accurate than my the origin Char Zaku II, help

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

hostess with the Moltres posted:

I want to get an HG Char Zaku II b/c it's more anime accurate than my the origin Char Zaku II, help

Buy the 2020 version, it has the rotating forearms so you can do the animation accurate twisted arms.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

The Tetra is pretty but also fairly basic. The Turn A. Is fun and it has a mustache.

Hey I'm just starting. Only built a Zollidia and a Grimoire so far. Got a Koto Cybuster I'm working up the courage to start too.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

MonsieurChoc posted:

Hey I'm just starting. Only built a Zollidia and a Grimoire so far. Got a Koto Cybuster I'm working up the courage to start too.

I'm not dissing you, sorry if it came off that way. The Gerbera Tetra is a nice kit and it looks very pretty. I'm just pointing out that it is a bit older in its design since it still uses the ball and socket leg assembly, so keep that in mind if you've cut your teeth on some more modern kits already.

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

Buy the 2020 version, it has the rotating forearms so you can do the animation accurate twisted arms.

That’s the one I meant. My only real complaint about The Origin Char Zaku II is that posing it with the gun is a pain and the bazooka holder broke since the connection was too tight.

Edit: is it alright if I mix together different paint brands? It’s tough to find all the colors I’m looking for on the same storefront under the same brand and I want to save on shipping.

hostess with the Moltres fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Feb 22, 2021

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Yes and no. As long as the paints chemical makeup is the same it should be okay.

Be aware that there are different types of acrylics that won't play nice with each other.

There's alcohol based and water based acrylics which will not mix, their respective binders and thinners will clump the pigments when you mix them.

As with all paints a small test with it's thinner in a small pot is advisable.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Tried doing some shading on a candy coated kit, hard to see but I think it turned out okay. Also the astray designs got god drat ridiculous as the series went on

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Feb 22, 2021

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Monaghan posted:

Tried doing some shading on a candy coated kit, hard to see but I think it turned out okay. Also the astray designs got god drat ridiculous as the series went on

I straight up detest most of the astray designs. I'm sure there's one somewhere I might end up liking, which is why I qualify with 'most' even though I can't think of a single one off the top of my head.

If it isn't the exposed frame, it looks like something out of a 12 year old's super edgy robot OC (do not steal!!!)

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I had a little over a week off work so I finally got going with a project I've been meaning to do for a while. The Kotobukia Metal Gear Rex:

Fully painted other than the gold parts on the backpack/weapon-pod (well, and other than a few parts you can't see that didn't need to be painted) and waiting to do the camo pattern and panel-lining and weathering this weekend, hopefully.

It's my first time painting a model fully, used Vallejo Model Air and Mecha Color since they are airbrush ready and don't need thinning. Some of the joints have gotten a bit tight, but once the model's finished I'm going to be putting it in a pose and never changing it again.

Unfortunately part of the right leg got broken off at some point (around the "knee"), kit might have even come like that. Going to try to do some scorch marks or something and try to pass it off as battle damage. I'm thinking of making the scene where Liquid has Gray Fox under Rex's foot, so some damage would make sense at that point.

Also prongs on the rail gun are bent in, I've put some Blu Tack in there to stretch them out (you can see it in the last picture), maybe it'll stretch out in the week it's going to be sitting there? If not, I've still got the remains of the clear runner sitting around, I'll just snip a rod out of it and use that to hold it open.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Forgive me if this is an off topic, but for some reason I find the Zaku I really weird. More specifically, it feels like the uncanny valley version of the Zaku II. I think it is the helmet more than anything else.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Unlucky7 posted:

Forgive me if this is an off topic, but for some reason I find the Zaku I really weird. More specifically, it feels like the uncanny valley version of the Zaku II. I think it is the helmet more than anything else.

It looks like an anteater to me. I really like the Origin and Thunderbolt redesigns that give it some sharper edges.

Mostly it depends on the animation and whether the gunpla is going for a show accurate look or not. The ones in Origin are mean bastards.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Unlucky7 posted:

It has to be the tubes or lack of them that's throwing you off. What else could it reasonably be.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Sazabi posted:

It has to be the tubes or lack of them that's throwing you off. What else could it reasonably be.

The monoeye divider. If you're used to the traditional Zaku II head, there's the lack of tubes and the divider on the monoeye track.

Oh, and I think the beak-snout thing is a bit longer on the Zaku I as well. I think this might be it because it's usually the subtle stuff that gives an uncanny valley effect, and if you're not flipping between two pictures of their head, you might not catch it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

HLJ has added surface mail to their shipping options, which may work if Fedex or DHL shipping would be ruinously expensive for your order. It takes a few weeks to get across the ocean, though.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So, I placed an order on Ebay way back in December for the GM Sniper Custom with the missile launche expansion. Little did I know, that I was going to be jerked around the way I was. The place selling it, put the shipping, the only option, at a method that hasn't been available due to covid. So they came to me demanding more money for a new shipping method. After getting confirmation from Ebay that I didn't have to do poo poo, I asked why they couldn't do Air Small Packet, since Amiami and HLJ can do it, and Japan Post said it goes to Australia. For about 5 hours they were adamant, no matter what I said or showed, that they couldn't send it via ASP, and to either pay for better shipping, wait until the only shipping method they'd let me choose was open again, or cancel the order..

So I hunted around, saw the kit on The Hanger Bay, Decided to pick up some other kits for value, cancelled my order and now hey.

I should be getting these relatively quick.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Onmi posted:

So I hunted around, saw the kit on The Hanger Bay, Decided to pick up some other kits for value, cancelled my order and now hey.

I should be getting these relatively quick.

Well, gently caress; I went poking around and they had one last Extreme Gundam Type Leos, so I had little choice but to hit that buy-now button.

I blame you :argh:.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Speaking of Scams and bullshit, I almost fell for a scam site today.

https://www.kaupthings.top/gundam-c-1495_2076_2136_2137.htm?page=1

This site looked too good to be true, priced in CAD, which is basically a direct conversion to AUD, promising Free shipping over $50 and with some truly rare kits, I thought I'd hit the motherload... until all the suspicious stuff started being aware, like the social media not linking anywhere, no one I know having used it, the fact the about page and contact was all bare and the only contact email was from what appeared to be a scam website.

Unfortunately, I'd "Registered" for the account, which means they'd gotten my email, but they shouldn't have anything worse than that, hopefully, I'm fine, but I'm keeping a watch on things just in case. So yeah, be careful around the internet.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
lol they still have Google+ in their social media section

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Onmi posted:

Speaking of Scams and bullshit, I almost fell for a scam site today.

https://www.kaupthings.top/gundam-c-1495_2076_2136_2137.htm?page=1

This site looked too good to be true, priced in CAD, which is basically a direct conversion to AUD, promising Free shipping over $50 and with some truly rare kits, I thought I'd hit the motherload... until all the suspicious stuff started being aware, like the social media not linking anywhere, no one I know having used it, the fact the about page and contact was all bare and the only contact email was from what appeared to be a scam website.

Unfortunately, I'd "Registered" for the account, which means they'd gotten my email, but they shouldn't have anything worse than that, hopefully, I'm fine, but I'm keeping a watch on things just in case. So yeah, be careful around the internet.

Same email, multiple different websites, and same general gambit of good stuff for low prices.

It's a scam alright.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

I just wanted to come back and share my pain.

I preordered the MG Barbatos expansion pack last May or whatever. It was "delivered" christmas eve, but FedEx didn't deliver it to me or lost it or lied I have no idea because they never actually did the investigation they said they would then told me to chase the vendor. So P-Bandai was able to get a replacement kit from Asia, but then when it got to the US it was so damaged they couldn't ship it to me. So now I just will never get it :(

Twas heartbreaking esp given i got the "we have a replacement for you" & the "it's hosed we can't send it to you" emails on the same day. Elation then crushing hurt.

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
I had the same thing happen with my first US P-Bandai order. FedEx said it was delivered, but it wasn't. I was home at the time and there was nothing. I immediately contacted them and Bandai.

After a couple weeks, Bandai agreed to replace the items since Fedex couldn't find where they actually delivered it to. A few weeks later and I get an email saying the replacements were, and I quote, "destroyed during transit." Which makes me wonder if they were on that cargo ship that lost containers from around that time. Finally, a month after that, they got new replacements and I finally got them 3 months after they were to be delivered.

In conclusion, hell yeah to Bandai for giving me constant updates, and gently caress FedEx for losing $300 worth of gunpla and insisting I was lying since it was signed for by "Mr. F. Door."

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's crazy seeing so many people have problems with FedEx, I've never had problems with them or UPS, only with the us postal service.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

It's crazy seeing so many people have problems with FedEx, I've never had problems with them or UPS, only with the us postal service.

For all the carriers it can depend a lot on who owns your local routes. My local FedEx operator is pretty decent but if their performance is any indication the owner of the DHL business here probably has to put on a helmet before he tries to tie his shoes.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Moai Ou posted:

I had the same thing happen with my first US P-Bandai order. FedEx said it was delivered, but it wasn't. I was home at the time and there was nothing. I immediately contacted them and Bandai.

After a couple weeks, Bandai agreed to replace the items since Fedex couldn't find where they actually delivered it to. A few weeks later and I get an email saying the replacements were, and I quote, "destroyed during transit." Which makes me wonder if they were on that cargo ship that lost containers from around that time. Finally, a month after that, they got new replacements and I finally got them 3 months after they were to be delivered.

In conclusion, hell yeah to Bandai for giving me constant updates, and gently caress FedEx for losing $300 worth of gunpla and insisting I was lying since it was signed for by "Mr. F. Door."

Im glad they finally got you those items, but now it really makes me wonder what went down with these ones that sure weren't delivered to the addresses listed. Who wanted my random plastic and a rug? FedEx also just insisted I was full of poo poo. They're on my annoying as piss list I'm never happy to see something arriving carried by them anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Sea Lily posted:

I broke my own rule of not getting any kits pre-2010 and built this 2003 HG Z'Gok-E because I liked the design.

Do not make that mistake.

The kit looks alright now that it's done, but it was just the worst part of everything I've built so far rolled into one kit. Extremely obvious nub marks on every single piece, stickers that are thick and just plain don't look good, weird fiddly bits that tend to get themselves misaligned constantly, absolute poo poo tier articulation (also NO EYE ARTICULATION which is KILLING me), the plastic feels old and flimsy, and he cannot hold a single drat pose now that he's finished being built. The boy is a ragdoll on top of having mediocre articulation to begin with.

Still looks nice on a shelf, especially since I painted some gunmetal bits on him to break up the sea of mono-color plastic, but in the future I really should look up reviews if I'm gonna pick up an older kit.

I've learned my lesson.

As somebody who cut my teeth on the hobby at that time, there's pros and cons to pre-2010 models and quality is variable but not across the board bad. I just built Cima's Gelgoog from that era and aside from a couple of seams I had to fix and some sharp lines I had to sand down, it was a quick and fun build. There's some floppy joints and legs-fall-off-itis but that's a problem on new models too. The biggest gains in new models over old models is better joint engineering and much better color accuracy, we just kind of accepted that some models had to be painted back in the day. After the dark days of the 1990s models we were all just happy poo poo fit together relatively evenly and had the right proportions.

Having split my recent purchases between mid-early 2000s and modern models, I also think the plastic from that era was just better, much firmer and less prone to shredding when you're fixing nub marks with a knife. I just built a Leo this morning and my knife was melting through it like it was vinyl. If I'd gotten a kit made out of plastic like this in 2003 I would have thought I'd bought a counterfeit. The thinner/softer plastic is easier to clean up and build out of the box but I have to be more careful with it than I'd like with my style of building :shrug:

free hubcaps posted:

It's been a looong time since i built any gunpla but i was bored yesterday and decided to build my zaku I origins, its the first origins kit i've done and man it was fun to build and the poseability is great. I decided to add a few bits from other random gunpla kits I had around to make it a zaku I custom designed for urban combat

i wanted to give it some crackers too but surprisingly none of the kits i have had any. can anyone recommend me a good cheap hguc kit that comes with some?

I think the only source of crackers is the HGUC Zaku the Ground War set which is not cheap but comes with a bunch of neat stuff:
https://www.amazon.com/Bandai-Hobby-MS-06-Zaku-Ground/dp/B001P4DFIO

I feel like you could probably make good-enough crackers from sprues if you're comfortable with all the cutting, gluing, sanding and painting required

edit: I'm looking and finding more models but it's mostly hard to find limited run/P-Bandai stuff/OOP and all of it's expensive. I do not believe any of the in-print main line HG Zakus have any, though? You're lucky to get a Bazooka most of the time

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Feb 25, 2021