Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!
I have the Avanti compressor from Harbor Freight and it does a good job. Way easier than rigging up the big compressor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

SnakesRevenge posted:

I have the Avanti compressor from Harbor Freight and it does a good job. Way easier than rigging up the big compressor.

Good to know, thanks.

Is there good 'starter kit' for modeler paints? I live in Bumfuck, Kentucky so I have to order anything that can't be gotten at the Dollar Store and want to do it in one go.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I built the new 86 Reginleif. It's a pretty interesting design, if a bit more conventional than the Juggernaut.

The non-Shin models all have two weapons and two pilots in the box, which gives them more flexibility than the basic kits last time, but in exchange they lose the ammo loading gimmick and the bonus figure. Also, way more stickers. Too many stickers.

Still, it's a fun kit.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Made a big 'ol fuckup on my first Gunpla, the RG Exia, last week. It's a real bummer, I haven't worked on it since.

The peg on the upper arm was not supposed to be shaved off as it is on the left. I'm supposed to hook a plastic ribbon over it and then fit a small fastener over it.

Any thoughts on what to do about it? I found a Reddit post of someone who made the same mistake and people talked about making a replacement peg out of a section of the runner. I tried starting that. Getting it small enough to fit through the fastener will take some work. After that, there's the mater of keeping it at the right angle. Once you put the ribbon on, it presses the arm down just a little.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

Dr Christmas posted:

Made a big 'ol fuckup on my first Gunpla, the RG Exia, last week. It's a real bummer, I haven't worked on it since.

The peg on the upper arm was not supposed to be shaved off as it is on the left. I'm supposed to hook a plastic ribbon over it and then fit a small fastener over it.

Any thoughts on what to do about it? I found a Reddit post of someone who made the same mistake and people talked about making a replacement peg out of a section of the runner. I tried starting that. Getting it small enough to fit through the fastener will take some work. After that, there's the mater of keeping it at the right angle. Once you put the ribbon on, it presses the arm down just a little.

If you don't mind it being permanent, you could superglue the ribbon and the little white piece that slots on to that peg to the arm. Bit of a delicate job but it'd be tough to tell the difference in the end.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Yeah, you are better off gluing it down. You can also use a very small electronics screw.

sarujin_nz
May 1, 2006

Finally got around to finishing a diorama display for an RG RX-78-2 I finished 6 months ago. Not perfect as I'm still getting used to air brushing for the diorama.

Now to finish off the Morstorm Iron Man I'm building, and then moving onto the PG Unleashed RX-78-2.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

sarujin_nz posted:

Finally got around to finishing a diorama display for an RG RX-78-2 I finished 6 months ago. Not perfect as I'm still getting used to air brushing for the diorama.

Now to finish off the Morstorm Iron Man I'm building, and then moving onto the PG Unleashed RX-78-2.

This is fantastic.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Dr Christmas posted:

Take a thicker part of the runner than that piece. Cut out a piece that's a bit longer than it needs to be. Use pliers to hold it level on your table and use an xacto knife to shave it cutting downward in to a square piece (so cutting downward on four sides). Then slowly shave one end of that to be the appropriate angle matching the other when held to the nub. Cut the other end to length, then bevel it by shaving each side slightly at the non-attached end. You'll likely want to use a bit of coarse sandpaper on the nub to roughen it, as well as the side you're going to glue to it.

Use fast drying superglue/plastic glue sparingly to attach it, with tweezers to hold it so you don't get the glue on yourself. Or, for even better alignment, build up a stack of cardboard, index cards, whatever, to the appropriate height so that you can tape or hotglue just a bit of your new nub piece to it with it sticking out, then push the arm in to it instead of trying to hold the nub in place at the correct angle as it dries. That's what I would do personally.

It sounds like a lot of work but it should only take a few minutes to make the piece. And if you screw up, well it's runner so just try again. Alternatively, if you just keep a pile of the bits you clip off as you go and then dispose of them all at once like I do, you may be able to find the piece you clipped off (or if it's still on that runner).

Let it dry for at least a couple of hours so that it has more strength afterwards.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
You are probably the 3rd person I have encountered in the last two weeks that hosed up that peg/ribbon part. The other two are just going to glue it and be done with it.

sarujin_nz
May 1, 2006

Base is a cheap one I found on AliExpress. I haven't ever done much Diorama work (besides as a teen building model railway).

Thought it was a good start as if I stuff up the base it doesn't affect the Gundam. Still need to work on some of my rust and weathering marks, they are a bit off.

Also need to improve my posing. I don't know what it is, but I feel I can never get a pose to look correct versus everything I see online.

I've got an Iwata airbrush ordered that should help and be better than my cheap current one, as I've been struggling on how to clean it. Worked out that the stainless brushes on a stainless brush are thin enough that they can be used to clean the nozzle easily.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Marsupial Ape posted:

Good to know, thanks.

Is there good 'starter kit' for modeler paints? I live in Bumfuck, Kentucky so I have to order anything that can't be gotten at the Dollar Store and want to do it in one go.

The first question is what kind of paint do you want to use. There's several different types of model paints and they don't usually interact well so you're better off picking a single brand and sticking with it.

In broad categories:
Lacquer - Stinky, volatile, requires serious ventilation. Probably not pet safe. Sprays like a dream and is tough as nails.
Acrylic (alcohol-based) - Requires less ventilation, good adhesion.
Acrylic (water-based) - Requires least ventilation, safest. Has adhesion and scratch resistance issues. Can be difficult to spray.
Enamels - Smells like your grandaddy's shed, harder to work with. Good for gloss finishes but usually saved for the weathering layer.

For a starting out acrylics are probably the easiest to work with and the lowest impact. You may be able to find a few non-branded "starter kits" but you're better off buying the specific paints you need piecemeal from a reputable brand.
- Tamiya acrylics are cheap, work well and are widely available. They're incompatible with their enamel line which uses the same naming structure so be careful which you buy.
- Mr. Hobby recently started a Gundam specific line of their Aqueous Hobby Color acrylics if you can find them. They also do the Gundam Color lacquers so be careful.
- Vallejo's Mecha Color line is basically a non-branded Gunpla paint line but you have to read between the lines a little for the paint matches.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Its so hosed up that we'll probably never get a kit of this guy

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Dr Christmas posted:

I made the exact same mistake. I think almost everyone does.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Dr Christmas posted:

Ive got an RG Sazabi I've held off on starting, part procrastination, part I keep hearing about some shoulder joint issue where a number of people have sheared it off. I nearly cut off a tab like that on a different kit and I was stressed but luckily it wasn't completely sheared off and everything worked out thankfully.

Fingers crossed glue works for you!

YanniRotten
Apr 3, 2010

We're so pretty,
oh so pretty
Glue usually solves problems as long as your problem isn't a major load bearing part of the kit.

Break a piece of armor in half or cut off a peg on it? Eh.

Completely snap off a critical part of a elbow/knee/shoulder/hip assembly yeah that's gonna need reinforcement.

That Sazabi issue is mostly about being aware that the part is indexed and making sure it is FULLY snapped in. If the assembly isn't together good any motion puts more strain on it than it can handle and it breaks completely.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

MonsieurChoc posted:

I made the exact same mistake. I think almost everyone does.

I'd like to add my name to the chorus of voices that also did this.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I have it ready for when I'm done the MG Freedom 2.0 (good kit aside from the hip railguns being a bit jank), so thank you for bringing that up.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I managed to avoid it on my RG Exia but it was only thanks to those who boldly went before me and snipped the tab off that I was reminded of it.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012
I never did that to an RG Exia because I've never built one.

I have, however, done it to a Zoids Godos.

I'm pretty sure that every modeler, at least once in their career, accidentally snips something that is not to be snipped.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Suzaku posted:

I never did that to an RG Exia because I've never built one.

I have, however, done it to a Zoids Godos.

I'm pretty sure that every modeler, at least once in their career, accidentally snips something that is not to be snipped.

I didn't do it to my RG Exia :smuggo:

I learned my lesson snipping a peg off the back of one of the legs on my RG Freedom Gundam and had to glue the relevant piece in place :cripes:.

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!
The only peg-snip I can recall offhand was when I shaved the tab off of the HG Guntank's cockpit hatch and had to glue it in place. Fortunately it's hardly the most detailed or valuable kit in the world, but it still made me feel pretty silly to make an unforced error like that.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Now that I'm done the Freedom's wings I have to give the guy who snapped the box photos some credit, because getting one that implied you could have it standing and in a natural pose with them in could not have been easy. Probably shouldn't be telling you to put them in before you have the stand together.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

My greatest shame is breaking the hip joint to a 1/72 VF-25 Valkyrie. Yes, one of the transforming kits. I was checking rotation, it was a bit tight, and the pin sheared off. FML.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
My worst gunpla mistake was using a hairdryer to try and remove frosting on a matte topcoat. My RG Unicorn melted...

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Marx Headroom posted:

My worst gunpla mistake was using a hairdryer to try and remove frosting on a matte topcoat. My RG Unicorn melted...

https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/1459920064413528075/pu/vid/540x270/l8yuDWSk612ItBaA.mp4

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I cut the barrel off of one of Jupitive's arm cannons because I was incredibly sleep-deprived and I thought it was a sprue. :cripes:

Space Opera
Jun 5, 2011

That rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!

Speaking of living in bumfuck nowhere, are there any recommended websites for ordering paints? The only hobby shop in my town went out of business during the lockdowns, and ordering on Amazon has been hit and miss. I'm primarily using water based acrylic and hand painting (Model Master and Citadel where all that my shop carried).

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Space Opera posted:

Speaking of living in bumfuck nowhere, are there any recommended websites for ordering paints? The only hobby shop in my town went out of business during the lockdowns, and ordering on Amazon has been hit and miss. I'm primarily using water based acrylic and hand painting (Model Master and Citadel where all that my shop carried).

If you're in the states then tamiyaUSA has been great for me barring it's just Tamiya and some times they're out of stock for a few months of some paint. Newtype.us is good for pain orders too.

A4 Steak Sauce
May 9, 2016

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

I'd like to add my name to the chorus of voices that also did this.

Same here, but Bluefin customer support are good folk, and are sending me spares!

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Yeah, I've had good experiences ordering paint from newtype, as well as getting turbodork stuff directly from turbodork, if you want their colorshifting or metallic paints (which i like a lot).

I also ordered a bunch of paints from megahobby.com a while back and it was good too.

Space Opera
Jun 5, 2011

That rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!

Thanks, I'll give those a shot

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012
So, today I found out this exists:

https://sidesevenexports.com/collections/mega-size/products/1-48-rx-78f00-gundam-gundam-factory-yokohama

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Currently putting together a gunpla for the first time in a long time. I'm having a good results using nanoglass nail files smoothing out nub marks. Inevitably, though, I am putting scratches and mars in the plastic. What can I use to buff those out?

poo poo like this is why I am considering jumping straight into painting.

Oh, and it's a Jesta, btw.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

It's such a simple thing, but I really like the airplane-style running lights in the knees.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's such a simple thing, but I really like the airplane-style running lights in the knees.

They're in the shoulders too! :3:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bloody Pom posted:

They're in the shoulders too! :3:

Oh yeah, they are too :eyepop:. I missed them in the kibble. It's a really nice "real-world" touch that I'm surprised nobody's done before. Closest I've seen is the Patlabors being street-legal vehicles with license plates and turn signals.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Fuuuuck, I don't need this, I don't need this, I don't need this.

I hope they do a PG unleashed version of the F00.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Space Opera posted:

Thanks, I'll give those a shot

But wait ! The best site for browsing and ordering paints is actually ScaleHobbyist.com. Want to compare the 3 different purples in the MechaColor line ? Easy. Which come in 17mm and which in 60mm bottles ? Another click. They have 571 different browns in the catalog, 450 Tans; 70 oils, 780 lacquers, it goes on. You can drill down to whatever you're looking for.

They also have a good collection of tools, historical scale models, and stuff for dioramas.

https://www.scalehobbyist.com/catagories/Paint_and_Construction/browse.php?s=3&t=1&u=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

Puddin posted:

Fuuuuck, I don't need this, I don't need this, I don't need this.

I hope they do a PG unleashed version of the F00.

On the one hand, I didn't need it either. On the other hand, Gundam Factory Yokohama is closing at the end of March so this is pretty much a rare kit of a rare kit.

And I could justify the order by adding a few AGE MGs and a Hardgraph set I'd had my eye on.