Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Time per kit really depends on how much effort you want to put into it. If you just snip everything and assemble it shouldn't take more than like, an hour, but if you sand and panel line and topcoat it could easily take a day.

I wouldn't worry about difficulty when it comes to gunpla; poo poo's as easy it gets for the hobby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I finally bit the bullet after wanting to get into Gunpla for years and ordered some models, so a couple of newb questions, if that's okay. I currently have HG versions of Char's Custom Zaku II, an RGM-79 and the 00 Gundam on the way, since everything I've seen says they're all good beginner kits. For someone with zero experience (if you don't include that experimentation with 40k way back in high school), how long is each kit likely to take?

Second, for the panel lines, would something like a liner pen (something like this, for example) work? I don't have any hobby or model shops nearby (barring a GW), and I'm doing everything on something of a budget, so something reasonably cheap that I can find locally would be good.

I'm thinking that once I get some experience behind me, I want to go for something impressive (to me, at least). I love G Gundam, so the God Gundam is an obvious must. Has anyone built the Master Gundam/Fuunsaiki kit? It looks great, but I want to know if it'll be out of my league. Does it come with the stand it's always pictured with? And does the horse have any articulation, or is it a solid piece?

The instructions are really simple and easy to follow, don't worry too much (they're written with kids in mind, after all). Even when there's text, the context is generally pretty obvious as to what its referring to (alternate stickers, take care with snap-in connections, that sort of thing). If you want a really cheap kit to practice on, the Hi-Mock is one of least-expensive (and best made) kits available.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I finally bit the bullet after wanting to get into Gunpla for years and ordered some models, so a couple of newb questions, if that's okay. I currently have HG versions of Char's Custom Zaku II, an RGM-79 and the 00 Gundam on the way, since everything I've seen says they're all good beginner kits. For someone with zero experience (if you don't include that experimentation with 40k way back in high school), how long is each kit likely to take?

Second, for the panel lines, would something like a liner pen (something like this, for example) work? I don't have any hobby or model shops nearby (barring a GW), and I'm doing everything on something of a budget, so something reasonably cheap that I can find locally would be good.

I'm thinking that once I get some experience behind me, I want to go for something impressive (to me, at least). I love G Gundam, so the God Gundam is an obvious must. Has anyone built the Master Gundam/Fuunsaiki kit? It looks great, but I want to know if it'll be out of my league. Does it come with the stand it's always pictured with? And does the horse have any articulation, or is it a solid piece?

I've built the Master + Fuun Saiki kit. The Master is a really great and basic modern HG (the ones you ordered other than the 00 are pretty old and lack a lot of modern conveniences). The Master has a modern swiveling hip joint, a skirt designed to be optionally clipped into parts, pretty good color separation, some cool accessories, and great articulation. Fuun Saiki is a separate model you build in the kit, but has largely no articulation, comes with the stand to prop it up in that one pose, and is pretty sticker-heavy. The whole set could have used a yellow runner instead of a sheet of yellow stickers for Master and Fuun Saiki. The Master also has swappable capes to wear it closed, a Darkness Finger accessory that can interlock with the Shining Finger accessory on the Shining Gundam, and more. It's really awesome all around and super easy to get into. Highly recommended for you.

The God Gundam kit, which I also have, has notoriously bad proportions. Just awful. Contrast it with the MG:

The upside is that it (and a shitload of other kits) can fit onto the horse perfectly fine what with its near-universal saddle peg. What you really want to do is buy the Robot Damashii God Gundam figure with way better literally everything; I think it can even sit on the horse, too! Or, better yet, just pose the God and Master together dramatically, buy a Sengoku Astray, and have that ride the horse.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Just had a look at the Sengoku Astray and... holy poo poo, that is a drat fine-looking kit! Cheap too, by the look of things. If I get into this, that may well wind up being my next kit. Well, that and Beargguy, for obvious reasons. How do you resist the temptation to buy, like, 50 of them and set them around the house in cool poses? Out of interest, does the MG Astray kit add much more to it, other than more work and being more fiddly (and being about three times the price)?

I see what you mean about the God Gundam though. Didn't realise it was quite so microcephalic, poor bastard. The plan was to have him and Master facing off, at least. The Fuunsaiki kit just seemed to be something of a bonus. At least I know it's essentially interchangeable with other figs.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I used one of those pens for a while, and it works. I think I prefer the actual Gundam Markers (excess ink seems to clean up a little cleaner in my experience), but that one should be fine if it's what you've got available.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Just had a look at the Sengoku Astray and... holy poo poo, that is a drat fine-looking kit! Cheap too, by the look of things. If I get into this, that may well wind up being my next kit. Well, that and Beargguy, for obvious reasons. How do you resist the temptation to buy, like, 50 of them and set them around the house in cool poses? Out of interest, does the MG Astray kit add much more to it, other than more work and being more fiddly (and being about three times the price)?

I see what you mean about the God Gundam though. Didn't realise it was quite so microcephalic, poor bastard. The plan was to have him and Master facing off, at least. The Fuunsaiki kit just seemed to be something of a bonus. At least I know it's essentially interchangeable with other figs.

If you want a good martial arts Gundam kit, take a look at the HG Try Burning Gundam from Build Fighters Try.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you want a good martial arts Gundam kit, take a look at the HG Try Burning Gundam from Build Fighters Try.

Definitely. I think someone earlier in this thread had pictures of it balanced upside down on just one hand. It's really well made.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

What is special about the Zaku's there? First one looks like a 2.0 of Ridden's Zaku but I can't place the other two.

The other two are ace units from (I think) MSV-R and Gihren's Greed, respectively.

I wouldn't imagine either of these would be in very high demand, but it turns out that the blue one is actually a reissue, go figure.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf

DigitalRaven posted:

Definitely. I think someone earlier in this thread had pictures of it balanced upside down on just one hand. It's really well made.

Yep! :v:

It's the Build Burning, not the Try Burning, but considering the differences between them are pretty minimal, I can't imagine not being able to get the Try Burning up on one hand too.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Since nobody's mentioned it, make absolutely sure you get a pair of sprue clippers and a good knife before you start building. I use a set of Xuron clippers and a Kobalt refillable knife with snap-off blades. The blades have grooves pre-cut in them so you can snap off the front section when it gets dull and move on to using the next one down. The clippers you can find in a hobby shop, and the knife will be available at most hardware stores. I also recommend getting a pack of wooden toothpicks since they really help when applying stickers.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Speaking of biting the bullet:

RG Zeta ordered. It was bound to happen. I thoroughly expect to hate myself by the end, if the rumours are true.

(e): Found online: THE HIGHBALL.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Mar 25, 2015

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

RG Zeta ordered. It was bound to happen. I thoroughly expect to hate myself by the end, if the rumours are true.

Oh my god yes

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

This... actually looks weirdly good.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Dare I say it... GUNPLA IS FREEDOM!

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
Is that the hg or mg ball?

I am pitiable. A gunpla fan with no balls.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

SpikeMcclane posted:

Is that the hg or mg ball?

I am pitiable. A gunpla fan with no balls.

Definitely the HG, the MG doesn't have the green-tinted window. And I don't either, sadly. Waiting on my MG GM Juggler.

On a totally unrelated note, Hajime Katoki is my spirit animal, and I can't bring myself to stop.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

I too am a decal addict.

Basically, I like my giant robits looking as complex as possible. For example, I love SEED's mecha design, as well as just about every Ver Ka.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Here's some sound advice I've seen for the RG Zeta: Pick wither MS or Waverider mode and leave it in that mode. I watched Robert184's video video on it and it looks like everything can go wrong at once (unless he's doing something wrong).

I don't have an RG Zeta myself so I don't have any first-hand experience with it. v:shobon:v

And I want that Mockball (Ballmock?).

Kaiju Cage Match fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Mar 25, 2015

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

And I want that Mockball (Ballmock?).

Ballock. You need two so you can have Ballocks, though.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

I'm still standing by it being, since it's a Hi-Mock and Ball, being the Highball. :colbert:

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Here's some sound advice I've seen for the RG Zeta: Pick wither MS or Waverider mode and leave it in that mode. I watched Robert184's video video on it and it looks like everything can go wrong at once (unless he's doing something wrong).

I don't have an RG Zeta myself so I don't have any first-hand experience with it. v:shobon:v

Yeah, it's just going into MS mode and staying there.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

The world is sometimes too perfect.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

peeNamaste posted:

Now with legs!

Sorry if I missed it, but could you step me through the technique for the metalic painting, or point me to a guide?

pope archibald
Jun 20, 2006

:420::350:DABS ALL DAY :350::420:
Does Hobby Search still have $12 flat shipping? if so ho does one go about getting it? I was about to place an order until I saw my shipping was going to be $40 which is only a $3 difference from amazon.

It's my brother's birthday and they are having a sale so I figured it was time to get some more gunpla.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

How do you resist the temptation to buy, like, 50 of them and set them around the house in cool poses?

For me at least, what helps me resist the temptation is a pet cat. I can only display kits on the two shelves I have that are high up enough to be out of his reach.

Of course, I still have a lot of kits, I just can't display them all at once anymore...

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

pope archibald posted:

Does Hobby Search still have $12 flat shipping? if so ho does one go about getting it? I was about to place an order until I saw my shipping was going to be $40 which is only a $3 difference from amazon.

It's my brother's birthday and they are having a sale so I figured it was time to get some more gunpla.

That's hobbywave, completely different site. HobbySearch has never had affordable shipping.

e: the op is wrong

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Uznare posted:

the op is wrong

and the first post has never been used.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

boom boom boom posted:

and the first post has never been used.

I've been working on the other side of the country for the past three months, doing 12-13 hour workdays and using hotel internet. Leave me alone. :colbert:

I'll be getting home in the first week of April - i'll be going back through the thread and using that first post for completed goon projects.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

To this day I stand by my claim that the Zeta was Tomino's way of loving with the toy makers.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

mr. stefan posted:

To this day I stand by my claim that the Zeta was Tomino's way of loving with the toy makers.

The G-Gundam deliberately had some of the mechs designed so that they'd be a pain in the rear end for Bandai's engineers to make models out of. The Shining Finger is an example of this; model hands were bad on models before G-Gundam, so he made the MC use his palm as a main attack partially to piss off Bandai when they tried to make a model out of the Gundams that used it.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
That smacks of urban legend to me. There's nothing especially complex about the main robots in G Gundam except maybe the Master's cloak, and they still managed to pull it off with 1994 technology.

The Shining Finger story is almost certainly not true, since adding an extra pair of hands is not really any kind of technical or budgetary hurdle.

The Zeta thing I could totally believe, that one remains a nightmare to this day.

e: I suppose the Dragon Gundam's gimmick wasn't much fun to try and duplicate, which explains why they didn't bother.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Mar 26, 2015

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
If there's anything that challenged the G Gundam model kit designers, it was getting kits flexible enough for the whole martial arts thing to work out.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
And they did a pretty great job on one of them, at least: the 1/100 Shining Gundam was like something from the far-flung future, still one of the most amazing kitbuilding experiences of my life. The others in that scale weren't nearly as good, alas.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Mar 26, 2015

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Sorry if I missed it, but could you step me through the technique for the metalic painting, or point me to a guide?

Sure, it's nothing too complex. I did a coat of gray primer to start, and then I used Tamiya Metallic Blue for the blue bits, and Tamiya Gunmetal for the inner bits. (Airbrushed both colors, as when they're hand painted they look like wet butt) Once that was done I used Pledge Floor Polish as clear coat. The red tubes are Model Master "chevy engine red" enamel. I painted those by covering the whole pieces in liquid mask, and cutting out the tubes. Then the trusty airbrush again. This didn't work on the hand tubes though, because I guess I didn't put a thick enough clear coat on, so I had to repaint those a couple of times. Luckily they were big and straight enough to mask with tape and foil. I did some heat effects on the claws and boosters by doing a few passes with clear colors. I started with a very thin layer of clear yellow, then added some clear red around the tips, and some clear blue at the base. It doesn't show up very will in photos, but when it catches the light in person it looks really cool.

Sorry for the wall of text, but I hope that helps.

P.S. I finished it!

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Always nice to see full, sprayed paint jobs in this thread.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

I like it. I'm sure Andy would've liked it too.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
There's gonna be a RE/100 HyGogg some day soon and people will go utterly loving nuts.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
What's the procedure for using Future with water slide decals? When I prep a surface, should I let the stuff dry before putting on the decals, or apply them while it's still wet? Also, when I brush on the protective outer coat afterwards, how do I keep the brush from moving bits of the decal?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Let it dry. The future will create a nice smooth surface for you to apply the decals to but I personally don't do any messing with it until it's dried.

Edit: Unless you're a fan of thumbprints anyway.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Thanks, that explains what I've been doing wrong. At least there's always the "battle damage" excuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Bimmi posted:

There's gonna be a RE/100 HyGogg some day soon and people will go utterly loving nuts.

Just keep on hoping. :unsmith: