Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

mllaneza posted:

NewtypeHQ is low on Vallejo paints. Who else is a favored, ideally domestic, reseller ?

I've had great luck with Michigan Toy Soldier Company, Burbank House of Hobbies, and occasionally Gamecraft Miniatures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!

I think I'm slowly getting the hang of this. Still can't pose them worth a drat though :v:

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
thanks for all the words on RG Tallgeese everyone! it's one of my fave suits so i'm glad the kit is quality. the Zakus all have some pretty disgustingly tight tolerances so i'm sure i'll make it.

now it just has to show up.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Sykic posted:

I think I'm slowly getting the hang of this. Still can't pose them worth a drat though :v:

They look great and your posing is solid too!

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Sykic posted:

Oh, hey. I just made that too!

Pulled this out of the backlog because I wanted a change of pace after all the MGs RGs and PGs of my Quarantine Builds. Also, I'm working from home now and I need my build space for the laptop my office lent me, so I need something I can finish and get out of the way, not leave half-built and taking up space.

Enjoyable build, articulation is a little limited but that's to be expected when it's based on a kit from 2010. Was nice that there was a grand total of one colour-correcting sticker, everything else was foil for shiny parts.

Fits in nicely on what I'm now calling my cute shelf.

I moved the Eva after taking this picture

Originally brought this kit just for the cat ears, wanted to use them on a different kit for a dumb idea for a custom build. Not sure if it would have worked, but I can probably find a substitute. I have a 3D printer now, maybe I can design and print a replacement?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Does the filtering in in-stock items on HLJ just not work. I keep trying it but it keeps showing out if stock and backordered stuff.

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug

BizarroAzrael posted:

Does the filtering in in-stock items on HLJ just not work. I keep trying it but it keeps showing out if stock and backordered stuff.

Try clearing out your browser cache/cookies for HLJ. I've noticed their site isn't very stable, especially on Firefox.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Pretty sure my Newtype order never actually left the FedEx truck because there's now two different shipments with the same tracking number.. one that was allegedly delivered yesterday, and one that's on the truck for delivery today. Bastards.

mllaneza posted:

NewtypeHQ is low on Vallejo paints. Who else is a favored, ideally domestic, reseller ?

Never ordered from them myself, but a lot of my friends that do Warhammer and other minis swear by Game Kastle. https://www.gamekastle.com/online/index.php?m=list&v=444

I met the owner during Newtype's BuildCon, and he seemed like the good kind of weird. Really personable, would probably talk your ear off for hours if you let him. Knows its weird and gross to lick your brushes but does it anyway and can tell you exactly what kind of paint is on it just by taste. He did a couple classes on painting techniques that were pretty interesting. I just wish I hadn't been working so I could have actually participated.. :shobon:

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

What is that green and white kit? It's adorable and I want it.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

d3lness posted:

What is that green and white kit? It's adorable and I want it.

The Shia QAN[T]. It's pretty cute, but you want to be careful building the shield, since some of the parts are kind of fragile and easy to mix up.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

chiasaur11 posted:

The Shia QAN[T]. It's pretty cute, but you want to be careful building the shield, since some of the parts are kind of fragile and easy to mix up.

Thanks much :)

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

chiasaur11 posted:

I think that's just every QAN[T] to be honest. I finished up my MG QAN[T] last night and getting all the sword bits on was a pain and a half, plus other unrelated parts kept popping off for no goddamn reason. The RG isn't much better in this regard, but it's such a pretty robot. Then again, I'm kind of a sucker for anything with cool shiny clear parts. :shrug:

Took some quick lovely pics by the window because I didn't want to spend forever posing it just to have everything fall apart.. again.

Kind of scared to start panel lining (aside from what I did on one sprue) or stickering because I don't want to spend another hour or so reassembling everything. I don't even dare attempt to assemble the buster rifle/sword/whatever out of all the bits.. though I do find it amusing that this kit comes with a basic Action Base just for holding up the sword.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Try shining a UV light on that Shia QAN[T], the clear blue parts glow really good and it's a shame they don't advertise that

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I just got a chunk of cash, and I am trying really hard to resist the urge to get back into this hobby.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

PMush Perfect posted:

I just got a chunk of cash, and I am trying really hard to resist the urge to get back into this hobby.

Dooooooo ittttttttttt!

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

PMush Perfect posted:

The trick is to just buy like 4 or 5 kits, and keep them in your backlog, so you won't be tempted to buy more. "I want this, but I shouldn't buy it, I still have this backlog"

doesn't work for me I still buy them way faster than I can build em.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Null of Undefined posted:

The trick is to just buy like 4 or 5 kits, and keep them in your backlog, so you won't be tempted to buy more. "I want this, but I shouldn't buy it, I still have this backlog"

doesn't work for me I still buy them way faster than I can build em.

Hahahaha

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!
The best way to stop buying more kits is having all the shops in your country run out of all the kits you want while being too stubborn to pay for postage from Japan.

Who am I kidding even that doesn't work, I just end up buying random poo poo to fill the order. Half of the kits I've bought weren't even ones I originally wanted. :shepface:

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
I'm not entirely sure how many kits are in my backlog and I've already forgotten about half the kits in my last order but I'm still mad that FedEx hasn't delivered yet. :argh:

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

Bees on Wheat posted:

The RG isn't much better in this regard, but it's such a pretty robot.

Can confirm, RG Quanta is a pain in the arse to build. The shield is quite fragile.

Poses well enough, even if you're poo poo at it (like me).

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

I have one of those con exclusive transparent Trans-Am RG 00QAN[T] and while posing it is hell due to the bits liking to fall off it is one of the single coolest kits I own.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Hot drat. Not gonna lie, I'm more than a little bit jealous.

Meanwhile, Fedex is continuing to gently caress with my package. It's been (allegedly) on the truck for delivery since yesterday morning, and they claim to have made a delivery attempt at 9:30pm.. then again at 10:00am today.. both times when I was very much at home. Their piece of poo poo website won't let me manage delivery options for this package, so I can't just go to a Fedex store to pick it up in person.. at this point I'm kind of hoping it just gets sent back to Newtype and they can do something about it. :sigh:

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

I'll say this, though: If you ever get a translucent kit, make sure to get an MG or RG. I have a translucent HG Build Strike Gundam Full Package I bought at the same con and it looks like utter rear end because it doesn't have an internal frame, and the stickers used for color separation make it look even worse.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

Bees on Wheat posted:

Hot drat. Not gonna lie, I'm more than a little bit jealous.

Meanwhile, Fedex is continuing to gently caress with my package. It's been (allegedly) on the truck for delivery since yesterday morning, and they claim to have made a delivery attempt at 9:30pm.. then again at 10:00am today.. both times when I was very much at home. Their piece of poo poo website won't let me manage delivery options for this package, so I can't just go to a Fedex store to pick it up in person.. at this point I'm kind of hoping it just gets sent back to Newtype and they can do something about it. :sigh:

That sucks. I have a fedex package that was supposed to be here two days ago; they apparently gave up and gave it to the USPS? Fine by me; my mail office is pretty good, but dang. Isn’t it your drat job to mail packages?

Sucks because I actually have another, later order from the same place and they again used FedEx. Who suck.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Captain Magic posted:

That sucks. I have a fedex package that was supposed to be here two days ago; they apparently gave up and gave it to the USPS? Fine by me; my mail office is pretty good, but dang. Isn’t it your drat job to mail packages?

Sucks because I actually have another, later order from the same place and they again used FedEx. Who suck.

Yeah, there are FedEx services that'll ship your stuff most of the way, then hand it off to the local post office. Those I don't mind, because the mail carrier can figure out how to mash a couple buttons and gain access to my apartment building. Meanwhile, FedEx will drive by without even attempting or leaving a notice.

On the upside, I finally got the Deathscythe hoodie I pre-ordered from Crunchyroll yesterday, just in time for the middle of summer. :shepface: My husband immediately asked if the package was "gundams or gundams-adjacent" because I guess we're at that point now. He's not wrong though.

I also finished this rear end in a top hat tonight, after it sat in the box for nearly a month waiting for me to build one of its legs.

I'm a little annoyed that there doesn't seem to be anything built into the platform to actually hold the EVA in place. Like yeah, there's slots for its shoulders to slide into, and the umbilical cable plugs in, but neither of those features actually secure the figure in place. :shrug:

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Bees on Wheat posted:

Yeah, there are FedEx services that'll ship your stuff most of the way, then hand it off to the local post office. Those I don't mind, because the mail carrier can figure out how to mash a couple buttons and gain access to my apartment building. Meanwhile, FedEx will drive by without even attempting or leaving a notice.

On the upside, I finally got the Deathscythe hoodie I pre-ordered from Crunchyroll yesterday, just in time for the middle of summer. :shepface: My husband immediately asked if the package was "gundams or gundams-adjacent" because I guess we're at that point now. He's not wrong though.

I also finished this rear end in a top hat tonight, after it sat in the box for nearly a month waiting for me to build one of its legs.

I'm a little annoyed that there doesn't seem to be anything built into the platform to actually hold the EVA in place. Like yeah, there's slots for its shoulders to slide into, and the umbilical cable plugs in, but neither of those features actually secure the figure in place. :shrug:

But then there would have to be holes in the bottom of his feet and it would look weird. I guess maybe it could have come with a pair of feet with and without holes depending on the situation

Edit: Why is every store in the world sold out of gray Mr Surfacer 1500? Literally no one has it in gray. Or black for that matter. Can't even find any Gaia surfacer. :smith:

Null of Undefined fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jul 8, 2020

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Null of Undefined posted:

But then there would have to be holes in the bottom of his feet and it would look weird. I guess maybe it could have come with a pair of feet with and without holes depending on the situation

Edit: Why is every store in the world sold out of gray Mr Surfacer 1500? Literally no one has it in gray. Or black for that matter. Can't even find any Gaia surfacer. :smith:

Massive supply chain disruptions due to COVID, probably. I had the same issue finding the 200ml bottles of Vallejo Flow Improver and Airbrush Thinner a few months back. It took hours of googling and checking out hobby and wargaming shops on distributor lists before I found 'em on one site that wasn't doubling the price.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
I ran into the same problem with Mr Mark Setter. Sold out on all the usual haunts, double price and August backorder on the bigger marketplaces.

Kao_Pai
Mar 25, 2003
Bashed up another Tomytec Little Armory gun kit with a Großer Hund.

album https://imgur.com/gallery/8R7erHX

Gat crew

I guess depending on your outlook, this can either serve as a cautionary tale or something to aspire to. This is my on-deck backlog that isn't boxed up in the basement.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Bees on Wheat posted:

The forearm binders also clip into the rack if you get the angles right.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Kao_Pai posted:

Gat crew

I guess depending on your outlook, this can either serve as a cautionary tale or something to aspire to. This is my on-deck backlog that isn't boxed up in the basement.

Extremely rad.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord

Kao_Pai posted:

Gat crew

These look amazing. I really like the ammo belts going from the crate/drums to the guns.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kao_Pai posted:

I see the Gojulas Cannon Set there, so where's the Gojulas Ogre to mount it on?... :unsmigghh:

Kao_Pai
Mar 25, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I see the Gojulas Cannon Set there, so where's the Gojulas Ogre to mount it on?... :unsmigghh:

Nicely spotted. After I built Gojulas the Ogre a few years ago, I thought the Gojulas cannons were so cool I picked up extra two standalone sets for future use. I've used one of the sets of two cannons so far, one for a ThreeZero Votoms toy add-on, and one as a sort of giant anti-gundam space cannon platform.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

How is the ThreeZero VOTOMS stuff anyway, one reviewer had his break at the waist but I don't know if that was just his experience

Kao_Pai
Mar 25, 2003

Zeether posted:

How is the ThreeZero VOTOMS stuff anyway, one reviewer had his break at the waist but I don't know if that was just his experience

It's really fragile for a "collectible" that's pushing $500, and I think that's a pretty uniform opinion for everyone that owns either Scopedog version that ThreeZero put out. I haven't broken mine but I rarely handle it, in fact the only time I handled it after initially putting it in the display case back in March of 2019 was to pose it with the Gojulas cannon. The detailing and quality of the design with the ThreeZero Scopedog is fantastic and I love the huge thing, but I have to handle it as though it's the most delicate model in my collection. It's very heavy and on the surface it tricks you into thinking it's reasonably rugged until you start posing it and feel the joints, something just doesn't seem right.

I saw the reviews of the initial Scopedog and then the Melquiya version before I got mine, so I at least knew to be careful from the start. I'd still buy a red shoulder version if they came out with one because I'm a huge sucker for Votoms.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Finally, the plamo crossover we've all been waiting for

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Bring back Speed Grade.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
FedEx finally figured out how to deliver my poo poo! It's only been "on vehicle for delivery" since the 4th, except for when they allegedly "delivered" on the 5th. The driver's notes on the box are giving me kind of a ALL WORK AND NO PLAY kinda vibe though..

RillAkBea posted:

The forearm binders also clip into the rack if you get the angles right.

I must suck because I can't get them to "clip", then. :sigh:

Oh well. It stands up well enough on its own that it's no biggie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Handsome big ole boi