Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Hey all, I just build my first one over the weekend, and I was absolutely shocked at the details and how well the parts fit together. I chose a 1/100 Barbatos Lupus Rex and it really came out well. I'll try some panel lining in time.

Anyway, just checking in!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
So I picked up a Unicorn in destroy mode, what do folks do about panel lining clear plastic? And holy crap did panel lining make a huge difference on my Barbatos.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Yawgmoft posted:

I don't- did a test once and I couldn't make it look good. If light will ever shine through forget about it.

Thanks for the heads up!

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

EVGA Longoria posted:

Couple new P Bandais announced, MG GM Dominance and the Re/100 Gundam Mk III Unit 8. Nothing too exciting, though I probably would've picked up the Dominance if it had been generate release.

Where do you go to hear about this sort of news?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Guy Goodbody posted:

So many people are going to buy this just for the tail whip

Gundams with tails are awesome.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
How good are the limited edition clear kits? I’m looking at the RG 1/144 Build Strike Gundam Full Package RG System Image Color in particular.

I’m also seeing a wide variance in price. It was originally priced at 2,700 yen, lowest I can find is around $35 or so. If I’m in the US, is that markup just the magic of P-Bandai or am I getting ripped off?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Have there been any previews out of that IBO Gundam design from the Build Divers OP yet?

Is this a known gundam within the series and you're asking about a gunpla release, or are you asking about something that's been announced for the show but hasn't been seen in any form? I'm trying to imagine a Barbatos in a crazy rear end color scheme with a ton of clear plastic bits or something crazy like that.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Mordja posted:

In the OP there's a guy (likely a future teammate) with a unicorn-horned Barbatos wielding some sort of big hammer/pincer thing and what looks like a shoulder mounted mortar. It's actually not that flashy, kind of sand-coloured.

E: Fuckit, here's a screen.

BizarroAzrael posted:

This and the preview suggest a team element yes, that guy, the ninja girl and the the school friends we've met. He looks kind of interesting, like an elf mage that pilots a more brutal version of the most brutal suit from the most brutal Gundam show.

gently caress YES

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Maigius posted:

My model arrived and I didn't realize the instructions are in Japanese. Anything I really need to know before making an attempt other than what's in the OP?

It’s no big deal, but you can install Google Translate on your phone and have it translated in real time.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

EthanSteele posted:

Hobo exia is definitely the best one, followed by the one with the switchblade rifle instead of the sword. I think all the 00 boys' robots get uglier as they upgrade, especially Tieria. At least Setsuna gets the 00Q which is super rad in the end.

And what the gently caress is up with the Nadleeh?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What, you don't like the Virtue stripping off and letting its hair out? :colbert:

Hair? They look more like the dreadlocks of a white, pot smoking, college kid.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Solkanar512 posted:

Hair? They look more like the dreadlocks of a white, pot smoking, college kid.

"Oh no! You've revealed to everyone that your secret power is taking endlessly about Bob Marley!"

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Droyer posted:

Wait, do you think dreadlocks aren't hair?

I do know it's hair, I was just clumsy with my wording.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I was definitely getting ahead of myself jumping on the Mack Knife when this thing exists.

But I can agree with you that IBO has exactly the kind of designs the series needed. It alternates between lithe and athletic designs and big blocky steel chunks, it's amazing. And not a single orb joint to be seen!

To roll this back to gunpla, I wish I had any sort of skill with resin, airbrushing, and handpainting so I could get the Dragon King Barbatos conversion kit and really do it justice.

That greatsword mace :swoon:

gently caress, that's amazing.

I'm with you about IBO, gearing the mobile suits for more H2H combat (more than just beam sabers I mean) really brought out some interesting designs.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
So I just saw the craziest thing. I was cutting pieces off of a normal plastic sprue, and I cut out a particularly large one.

The one large piece was actually three or four smaller pieces connected by ball and socket joints and made with multiple types of plastic. How in the gently caress are these even made?!

Upon closer inspection, it looks like a bunch of custom poly caps were molded right onto parts of the internal frame. This poo poo is nuts.

For reference: Build Strike Gundam Full Package [RG System Image Color].

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

The Muffinlord posted:

That is neat as hell and way overdue but I also would have accepted "he has his father's eyes". :devil:

Yeah, it looks really great.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
I think my wife is hooked. We put together some Haros (yes, I bought her the pink one with cats ears and she loves it) and she has a Denial Gundam waiting for later.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Monaghan posted:

Clear kits almost always look like rear end and that thing looks even worse.

The P-Bandai RG Build Strike Gundam Full Package looks loving awesome though.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Puddin posted:

Real talk though, I'd kill for a RG Barbatos.

Not an empty quote. Galbady Rebake is going to be my next project, once I'm done moving.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Midjack posted:

I've tried something similar but didn't get results anywhere near that good.

That’s too bad, I picked out one for my wife and she had a very similar reaction.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
My wife kicks rear end, she bought me a 1/100 scale MG Blitz Gundam for my birthday!

Not that I’ve ever seen Gundam Seed, but it looks really sweet.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Serious question: if there are so many of us nerds willing to pay P-Bandai prices, why isn’t there a direct online store for Europe and the Americas?

I mean Christ I’m new to this and I already tracked down one and that was pure luck. It’s also one of my fave kits.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Another random question. I’ve half built that MG Blitz Gundam my wife bought me, but it occurred to me that the larger size and theme might lend it to my first painting project, specifically with a base of Black 2.0.

Am I crazy thinking about taking apart the torso/arms and then starting to paint? Should I look at a different Gundam for a first painting project?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Puddin posted:

I paint each part individually other than kits with a full frame in it and even then the frame is the only thing that gets painted when it's together.

It's the only way really to ensure colours don't bleed out if you are changing a specific colour.

I'd suggest a Hg kit for a first paint though. You will learn a lot.

Good call, thanks!

My current experience is with painting up Warhams, so I’m a little excited painting only one of something, rather than 20.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

RillAkBea posted:

RG Banshee regular and RG Phenex sort of half confirmed by the announcement of the Gundam UC Blu-Ray boxset, the first pressing off which includes a bizarre amalgamation of all 3 Unicorns in Real Grade.

https://twitter.com/figsoku/status/1032826930326732800?s=19

I know it likely won’t happen, but that’s a slick looking color scheme (white contrasted with like 4! shades of blue!) and I’d totally buy that RG separately.

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Aug 24, 2018

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Hey, does Bandai ever leak the limited edition gunpla they plan on selling at the major cons? I have a friend going to PAX West and I might want to bribe him but I want to make it easy.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Midjack posted:

Whoa didn't realize they're going to have a booth, will have to peep that tomorrow.

I just saw two huge areas for Bandai-Namico, so I could be mistaken.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Midjack posted:

No Gundams at the Bamco booth at PAX West.

Oh well.

This ad showed up while browsing r/gunpla.

That targeting is a bit creepy!

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

chiasaur11 posted:

I wouldn't expect anything other than a lead Gundam in perfect grade even in a fantasy, but hoping for something like the Nu seemed reasonable enough.

Ah well.

I suppose the Barbatos and the Turn A aren't likely any time soon either.

I mean seriously, there wasn’t even an RG IBO release.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
I'm having a difficult time taking the MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON Gundam seriously.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
It's from the MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON!!!

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Maybe I have bad taste in Gunpla, but this looks pretty awesome. The reviews for the previous 00 Sky have been good, so things are looking good that this will be good as well.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
I’m just surprised it’s a regular release, that sort of opalescent plastic seems usually reserved for P-Bandai/Expo type stuff.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
It looks like a giant parrot to me. I just can't unsee it. But if you folks like it, more power to you!

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

RillAkBea posted:

Huh, turns out Diver Nami is a lot smaller than the previous Gunpla Girls.

http://schizophonic9.com/re4/figurerise_nami.html

This is creepy as hell.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Anora posted:

You must not watch a lot of anime.

B&N got a Build Divers Altron, it's a pretty fun build, love the design. Kind of wish it had a spear like the original.

I’ve seen enough, it doesn’t mean garbage like that shouldn’t be called out. It’s gross as an adult, and I get the feeling the character is a whole lot younger.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
I happened upon an unboxing video for the Moon Gundam. Apparently there are no stickers to speak of. Even the eyes are done 1/100 Barbatos style with plastic pieces rather than the more standard foil stickers.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

BattleMaster posted:

I don't know wtf the Moon Gundam is but I saw Mecha Gaikotsu's review of it earlier and it looks like an astounding kit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38bZ_7-3kiw

Like that isn't even a clickbait thumbnail and title because it looks drat good.

Yeah, that’s the one. The style isn’t for me, but the details and differences in plastic transparency are impressive.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
You know, given that the Action Base 5 is around 500 yen, the total price of 3000 yen isn’t all that crazy. The 00 Sky models are around the 2500 mark, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Nice, I have the "Higher Than Sky" (my wife thought it looked "pretty badass") and "Infinity Trans-Am" 00 Build Divers on order. According to the description on USA Gundam Store, the Infinity also comes with a stand, so that's pretty awesome.