Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

RillAkBea posted:

$110? That feels pretty nuts for what looks like an unpainted fisher price doom castle for adults.

Of course then I see a single hero miniature for $35.. are these things priced according to their relative power in game or something? I'm not sure what I'm missing.

I believe that's correct.

Holy poo poo I've forgotten how expensive GW stuff is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Paper Kaiju posted:

Price has nothing to do with the stats of the model, only the amount of material and complexity. And it is no secret that GW models are ludicrously overpriced, mostly because they overvalue their brand (or maybe they don't, since their customers keep paying for it).

In fact, the entire reason I got into Gunpla was from a TradGames thread devoted entirely to bitching about GW, where a few goons from this thread pointed out the absurd discrepancy in value between GW's models and Bandai's models.

The discrepancy is absolutely nuts. I still couldn't believe what I was getting when I built that 1/100 Lupus Rex, then started on my first RG. Christ.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

That Gobbo posted:

3D printing is basically already there with resin printers, main issue is people needing to create the 3D model of the miniature which GW is clamping down hard on public sites like thingiverse. There's already tons of 3D printable bits to use on shapeways that you can easily order.

Anyways I recently started getting into Warhammer since the actual hobby work is quite different from gunpla generally. It's easier to sit down and do a little hand painting when I'm not exactly feeling up for airbrushing a gunpla kit. It's also fun to learn techniques that can transfer between them like weathering, blending, and such.

The thing I hated was having to paint 20 identical dudes. Ugh, that was so loving boooooring. I started playing Necrons because they were a quick black undercoat + layered grey dry brushing.

Anyway, I was watching some videos about the PG Exia and it's sick lighting system. Are there any other PGs with similar lighting systems? I have to say, it would be great lighting up one of the clear edition Gunplas.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Monaghan posted:

Mecha Gaikoutsu can give some really bad reviews. Other than maybe some of the joints being weaker, none of the stuff he's complaining about is unique to the kit. The Re-100 line is gonna take some paint to get it completely color accurate.

Also I don't know what the gently caress he's on about with the porportions, the rg and the mg sazabi doesn't look like the 80's lineart and no one knocks the kit for that.

The model was falling apart in his hand at several points.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
The IBO HGs are generally awesome, as are most of the Build Fighters. Watch a review on YouTube if you want to avoid something with a dumb amount of stickers.

If you’re looking for a random recommendation, buy a Wing Zero Honoo. They look snazzy and are a solid kit.

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/rYEJx

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Blackchamber posted:

Yeah me too. Probably for the reason everyone dislikes it, that looks like the same milky pearlescent colors of those gundams that came with led lights in the base (assualt kingdom?) that make them look really cool.

I’m a fan as well, crazy color schemes are pretty sweet. It’s a polarizing choice to be sure, but I’d rather the option exist than not.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

goodness posted:

Picked up some of the cheapest kits I could find on USA Gundam, and the barbatos :getin:

These petitguys have gotten my partner into building too. She's not a nerd at all but you can't deny their cuteness.

Hell yeah

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Lol, that poll is split evenly between all options.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

chiasaur11 posted:

Even though I can see the logic (reused molds save money), it still feels weird that Build Divers and Narrative are getting MGs before IBO or G-Reco, and that side suits are getting MGs instead of the leads.

Yeah, it never made sense to me that Barbatos of all things didn’t get an MG or and RG.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Gripweed posted:

Those are all good choices. Anything from the Iron-Blooded Orphans line or the Build Fighters line are gonna be modern good kits. And the Moon Gundam is brand new and has a full internal frame.

One of my faves is the Wing Gundam Zero Honoo. Great theme, next to no stickers, lots of accessories and it really poses well. But there’s a ton of cool stuff so you really can’t go wrong.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Just got the Gundam 00 Sky Higher Than Sky and Heavy Weapons Systems in the mail. The colors are really, really striking!

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Check the price on that Gold Coating Phenex. Any box like that that isn't coloured is a P-Bandai kit.

Other good HG kits in that pile (though all of them are pretty decent);

• Kampfer Amazing
  • HGCE Freedom Gundam
  • Leopard Da Vinci
  • Wing Gundam Zero Honoo

I haven’t done the others, but I can speak for the Wing Zero Honoo. It’s a really fun kit with minimal stickers.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

This just asks for a home country then shows different goods based on the selection. What exactly are you linking to?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Xaerael posted:

I keep having the same conversation at events I attend, and I'm curious what the opinion looks like when it's answered by a larger group.

If you could force BanDai to PG one model, providing it's not much bigger than any PG currently in production, what would you choose?

For me, it's the Hyaku Shiki. I've always adored it's design, and it's V2 MG release is still one of my favourite kits ever.

Barbatos Lupus Rex.

I know you can't really light it up (except for the eyes), but it would be neat if the base incorporated a few spot LEDs to light the model itself maybe.

Barring that, more models that are completely lit up like the Exia.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Lol at the fountain pen with “Seig Zeon” etched on the cap.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

OscarDiggs posted:

An arm-ey boy, plus the knife I use. It's not an exacto knife, more like an off brand one.

You can also see a bit of nub on the right hand, but I'm hesitant to sand or cut any more in case I mark the plastic even more.

Next is the legs.

Not as complex as I had feared on day 2; fiddly as hell though. Eyes are getting a bit more used to it.

If it makes you feel better I can only do it for a hour or two at a time. On the other hand, the HG 00 Sky [HWS] gave me a whole week of fun.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Monaghan posted:

Take off the safety nubs on the v-fin. But good work for a first time build!

Wait, those are safety nubs?

So I just put together a Gundam 00 Sky HWS, and while the line and box art shows those nubs cut off, the instructions (page one, #2) don't say anything about trimming those and the build pictures don't have them trimmed either.

Is this just a personal taste thing or what?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Build Divers is cheaply made and the worst thing a show of its nature can be; Boring. Some of the kits (and the odd episode of the show) are good, there's just a real dearth of new ones rather than a regular output of fancy customized kits.

I'll stand up for the Gundam 00 Sky kits, though I need to tighten some joints on the HWS version. I built the HWS version, my wife built the Higher Than Sky version and they were both a lot of fun and packed to the gills with accessories/weapons, free stands and so on.

I do agree that the series was really a wasted opportunity. The fact that there aren't a million Barbatos variations is criminal. It would have been the perfect way to make more inroads in the US markets.

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Feb 14, 2019

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

LibrarianCroaker posted:

I really like the way the Alex looks with the extra armor on. There any particularly cool kits with that thick boy look that aren't removable extra armor?

Galbaldy Rebake?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Gripweed posted:

hell yeah, new Kshatriya kit gets announced when we're on the Kshatriya page

So what’s up with these three kingdoms kits? Is this a manga or something?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Has anyone seen a US friendly source for the P-Bandai RG Banshee Armed Armor VN/BS Equipment kit? I can't seem to find it around my normal sources.

ETA: This should have been included with the RG kit, damnit.

Also, why don't more stores let you filter by Pre-order/In stock/Backorder/Out of Stock status? It's loving obnoxious going through pages worth of items you can't buy.

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Feb 27, 2019

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Thanks for all the help folks!

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

LibrarianCroaker posted:

https://bandai-hobby.net/site/nextphasegunpla/

RG Nu is 4500 yen. Hopefully it comes with funnel stands.

Do I suck at looking at things, or are there similar design elements in that version of the Nu that you also see in the Narrative and Unicorn? Not specific pieces but rather overall shapes. The lower legs and the skirt armor, for instance.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

The Deleter posted:

So I bought a HG Star Burning Gundam and had a lot of fun assembling it, but there's a problem with the blue translucent parts on the elbows falling out. I'm not sure if it's because there's not enough friction keeping them in or the two halves of the lower arms being pushed apart by various forces when posing the model. What's the fix for something like this? I do have some Citadel plastic glue and am considering gluing the arm halves together, but I'd like to hear other people's thoughts.

Paint the pegs with either paint, nail polish, Elmer’s glue or whatever and let it dry while separated. Then when you stick the pegs back in, they’ll be thicker and stick better.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

The Deleter posted:

I've got my RX 78-2 next to Star Burning, and now I'm having an anxiety attack because I can't tell if the RX's colours have been faded by sunlight (they live on my desk at work) of if Star Burning is just more vibrant. Here they are in identical lighting conditions - can anyone reassure me if things are okay or not?

Rotate the RX 78-2 around and see if there are differences in color on a given piece (like the blue chest piece) at different angles. That will tell you right there if there's any fading.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Wait, so the United States has a legit way to directly order P-Bandai stuff now? Am I reading this correctly?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

chiasaur11 posted:

Yeah. Every IBO Gundam having the same base frame (with variations) gives them the Barbatos variants, Guision variants, Kimaris and its variants, Bael, Flauros, and the manga sidestory stuff.

Pretty good spread if this sells well, which seems more likely than not.

Seriously, it’s about loving time. I know it only shows the Barbatos, but a Barbatos Lupus with clear effects parts duplicating what it looked like during the Hashmal fight would be amazing.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
I will say, I’m building the RG Banshee Norn at the moment and while it’s an excellent kit it most certainly is finicky as all hell. But holy poo poo the engineering involved is nuts.

My first RG was that special edition Build Strike Full Package, and that was a lot of fun.

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jul 5, 2019

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Paper Kaiju posted:

If they would at least make them all into HGs I would seriously buy every single one.

This is not an empty quote.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Ugh, this MG is $126 and available only at the Gundam Base.

It looks so drat good.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Yinlock posted:

do they kick the enemy robot so hard that the top of it's body crumples like a fuckin tin can then proceed to rip off it's wings while making gutteral growls

(the final fight of ggg is fuckin brutal)

Sounds like the last episode of IBO.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

RillAkBea posted:

Wuuuuuuut. Rad.

Also proper MG Barbatos unveil. (4,950 yen so it should be pretty hefty) Images show 4th Form.

Also what looks like SDCS Wing Zero EW, which is pretty welcome.

Edit2: https://twitter.com/gundambase_t/status/1156132346115969024?s=19

Barbatos has a list of option parts behind it. Looks like it comes with extra finger pieces rather than posable hands, the big mace, the sword, and the smoothbore gun. So I'm guessing it's 4th Form only with parts kits coming on PB.

As much of a Barbatos fanboy as I am, I'm really curious what's driving that price point. Also, they shrunk the mace. :( I'll be interested in seeing the reviews, but I'm more interested in the Lupus and Lupus Rex.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
So does anyone know what’s going on between NewtypeHQ and USA Gundam store? I’m hearing odd comments on YouTube from reviewers about pulling out from cons and I’m just curious if it’s dumb drama or something more interesting.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Any online stores out there still selling the MG Barbatos? I didn't realize that I needed to order it three full months in advance. Presumably Bandai will just make more if it's selling out that quickly, but it's a little nuts for a mainstream release, right?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Azubah posted:

Jojo hobby is still accepting orders and their listing says it'll be out November/December.

Thanks so much, I was able to order it just fine. I always forget about that shop and I need to stop doing that.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The HG Wing Gundam was the first in the All Gundam Project, when they started putting real effort into their design and standardization.

They got some real mileage out of it too, considering there's like five variants including the Build Fighters iterations.

The Wing Zero Honoo is an excellent kit!

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Arcsquad12 posted:

Zephyranthes and the Full Burnern are both quite good kits provided you are willing to put some glue in. I had no intention of posing the Fb with its core fighter out, so I glued the top tabs of the chest onto the abs.

Yeah, I’m not going to lie. The RGs I’ve built (Build Strike Full Package and Banshee Norn) are both incredibly fun kits but there are spots that need a drop of glue.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Bees on Wheat posted:

Truly the gooniest of all gundams

brb gonna paint a Barbatos with the SA color scheme and replace its weapons with hanzo steel and flamin' hot cheetos

This feels totally appropriate for season one!

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Lame, the MG Barbatos is being delayed until December.

I'm guessing it's because just about everyone is sold out already and they want to have more kits on demand?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

chiasaur11 posted:

I think that's part of it, but Bandai also didn't have a big ticket item this December. Moving Barbatos there kills two birds with one stone.

I thought there was a PG Strike variant coming out. Is that P-Bandai only?

TaurusOxford posted:

On the plus side, that should guarantee we at least get Barbatos variants, if not the other IBO Gundams.

Seriously, this can’t happen soon enough. Asking for both a Graze and Valkyria (?) frame as well might be too much, but an MG Barbatos without an MG Graze Ein would suck.