Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Fauxtool posted:

whats with all these casuals making GBS threads up the thread. your addiction isnt even that crippling

Bimmi posted:

Guess I have to post this at least once per thread:

note: this photo is several years old, and the back wall is now almost totally obscured by a giant stack of HGs, MGs, and random miscellania. Also, my collection 20 years ago covered approximately five times the wall space it does here.

So please, tell me more about your loving backlogs.

this is what I meant in the last thread when I told people that a backlog of 15 kits isn't so bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

man at this point astray has got to be the most successful gundam side story ever.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I found the bestway to avoid a 10+ backlog is to only buy them at set times.I only buy around my birthday and summer when I pick them up at conventions. It's works pretty well.

... Although I may be sneaking up on having more then 10, because I've been working on cosplay lately, and dante's sword isn't going to build itself you guys.

Why must I get engrossed in the expensive and time consuming nerd hobbies :suicide:

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Literally The Worst posted:

What do you recommend over Gundam Markers?

I still think that the tamya panel line stuff is the best. Super small brush, lasts forever, easy cleanup.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

Are there actually any good, solid transformable kits, or does 'transformable' automatically equal 'floppy, fragile piece of crap'?

wing gundam, proto zero and epyon.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

chumbler posted:

gently caress that, just make it your christmas tree.

Once I get my own place, you better believe that wing zero custom is going to be the angel on the top of my christmas tree.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Neo Zeong owns, gently caress the haters. It's on my buy list for 2015.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

The decals. The goddamn decals. I spent like a solid hour just doing the knees. The Sinanju took me longer than the NZ did.

that's more of a problem with the design of the sinanju rather than kit quality. Even the mg has those decals.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I just spent like a solid half hour, minimum, assembling MG Unicorn's waist. This kit is DOPE.

prepare to be disappointed.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

He bought a loving Neo-Zeong, think about it.

I said it earlier but stop hating on big red. I haven't heard any complaints about it's engineering.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Warmachine posted:

What do you guys use for stripping acrylics from plastic without hurting the plastic? I dorked up some of the painting on my Zaku, and want to start from scratch on that part (especially after doing things properly on another part).

windex. Get a big rear end jug and it will last forever.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Gammatron 64 posted:

I'm not too happy with how this is turning out. This is the Gundam build from hell.

I broke the part the holds the head together and the paint makes it so most things won't close all the way (namely the chest). Also, should have waited and topcoated it instead of being lazy because man that poo poo scratches off easy. I think I might see if I can spray some into a cup at point blank range and see if I can use that to hand paint some areas where it scratched for touch ups.

I should have just been like "you know, I'm happy with the clear pink."

That, or paid the extra $40 for the full armor and not have been a cheapass.

welcome to my life circa 2013 when I tried to do the same thing. I got so frustrated that I've put the project on hold. Not sure If I'll ever go back to it.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I am seriously thinking of buying the extreme blast mode destiny mg. I swore that I'd never buy a special edition of an mg, but that last episode of BF really got me tempted. Help.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

MJP posted:

I wish I could have done so detailed a face as that, though :-(

For anyone who wants to see an unboxing of MG Rex: http://www.hobbylink.tv/1100-rex-black-ver-by-kotobukiya-part-1-unbox

rrobbert should get back to reviewing gunpla on youtube. :mad:

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Be it skinny or fat, I'll never like the ZZ. Some things are just constant in the universe.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

All right guys.

I want something big and dumb for Christmas. I haven't done a pg in about ten years. So far I've whittled it down to:

PG Strike (or Rouge, getting the pack either way)

PG MK II

PG GP-01

PG Unicorn

Give me your thoughts. Should I even risk getting the PG unicorn giving that the multitude of problems that could arise?

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

well the consensus seems to the be the strike rouge. It was what I was leaning towards as I heard it was the best one. Plus, I don't have a strike. Hopefully it turns out better than the pg wing zero, a kit that turned me off pg's for this long.

mr. stefan posted:

Of course the one time "buy a Neo Zeong" makes sense as purchasing advice happens while Dickeye is probated

Hey I'll have you know the neo zeong is on my buy list for 2015 :v:

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Tenzarin posted:

Tell us what you like about all those series!

I don't really go by series, I go by aesthetics of the suits. While I love the original gundam I'm not a big fan of a lot of designs from the show so I don't buy a lot of kits of them. I like the gp-01, Unicorn and Mk II. The pg strike has the best surface detail out of the pg's I've seen and balances it out by having a reasonable price.

Granted If I like a show a lot I'll more than likely want to buy its suits. Sometimes there's a nice matching of ugly suits and poo poo shows, *cough* age *cough*

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Dec 2, 2014

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

BlitzBlast posted:

A good camera set-up really does go a long way.

In other news, Hi-Nu Gundoom is a bad kit with hilariously bad seams on the arms and gimmicks that were clearly added last minute. And I probably won't get around to fixing it until much, much later.

glad I'm not the only one who had problems with those god drat arms.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Tenzarin posted:

The worst kits are the ones that rely on stickers to color parts.

to be fair it'd be very, very difficult to get the sleeves markings in plastic form. It's more of a fault of the design then the kit itself.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

You are good people Poptartsninja, don't let anyone tell you differently.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Whoops, I meant HG, and GN Sword III.

Yeah I think nobody uses the GN sword II on the 00, the III looks way better.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Just paid the shipping on the two 2.0 kits and I keep telling myself I don't need the Sazabi and I should save some extra money this check but it's so haaaaaard.

I'm not even kidding when I say that buying an airbrush and compressor has saved me money in the long run. Painting a kit makes it so it takes a lot longer to finish, and I buy way less kits because of it.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

TaurusOxford posted:

I hope "Our Lord and Saviour" got a refund.

Speaking of Freedom though, I would totally put down money for a PG Freedom. I find it funny that Freedom didn't even get a ver. RM MG back when Seed/Destiny HD was running.

it's a drat shame because I think the regular freedom is a great design and I would definitely buy a pg version of it.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

TaurusOxford posted:

Christmas sale going on at HLJ, although unsurprisingly their Gunpla selection is sparse at best: http://www.hlj.com/scripts/hljlist?SaleGroup=141215&GenreCode=Gun

Man the nightingale must not be selling well.

which is good because that design is crap.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Is the MG Gouf 2.0 as good as the MG RX-78-2 2.0?

I know they were released around the same time, and the RX 2.0 is so solid and well-made.

All the 2.0 kits are really good. They are a little old, but they don't have any big flaws.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

BlitzBlast posted:

Counterpoint: Zeta 2.0.

Miles better than Zeta 1.0, sure, but ahaha man the Zeta is not a toy-friendly design.

2.0 has some flaws, but I still maintain it's a good kit, as good as it can be given that transformation.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Dec 24, 2014

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Santa was drat good to me this year

Merry christmas gunpla goons.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

The Nu gundam ver ka is one of the best builds I ever did but the hands are annoying as hell and pose it before you put the funnels on.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Mecha Gojira posted:

The Emotion Manipulators are the worst thing to happen to MG kits in a while. They should just take a page from their Tamashii Nations lines and use the swivel-ball joint like on the SH and Robot Spirits lines. Full range of ball joint motion, but with the stability of a good old fashioned hole and peg.

yeah some people like them, I don't see why. I know some people hate the mg wing kits hands, but I love them. I never have stuff falling out of them and they are easy as hell to paint.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

chumbler posted:

Speaking of panel lining, do you more experienced plastic toy builders in this thread do the lining while the pieces are still in the runners, or do you only do it on the completed model? I can see the risk of smudging if you do it first being a problem, but trying to do it on an unwieldy completed model could be worse. Fortunately I kind of like a little bit of darkening and unevenness from trying to buff out mistakes with a Q-tip, so smudging isn't too big of a deal, but I'd still rather take the easier approach, since panel lining takes a long time either way.

I do it after painting and gloss coating. It's easier to do if you do this before final assembly. Keep the limbs, body, head, weapons, etc separated and panel line them.

Also newtype resolution- not lose a single loving model piece this year There is no way that this will happen if the past 12 years are any indication. :suicide:

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I gotta say I really liked how the alclad chrome and clear red look on the mg sengoku astray.

Though holy poo poo is panel lining this thing going to take a while.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Ka0 posted:

I'm doing exactly the same. What clear red did you use?

Tamiya Clear red.

Mecha Gojira posted:

What kind of gloss black base coat did you use for the Alclad? I know they recommend using enamel, but I hate working with enamels especially since the only ones I can get my hands on are Testors. I think I remember someone in the thread saying they used acrylics, though.

That was probably me! I used Tamiya Gloss Black. I've used it before and it always turned out nicely.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Pyronic posted:

Im looking to get my first MG Kit and I'm having trouble deciding between:

Gouf (2.0[2009] or Custom[2001])

RX-79(G) Gundam or EZ-8

Shining or G

Does anyone have any experience with these kits and let me know how the builds are? Should I focus on a newer MG? Should I get my 08th MS team fix in HGUC with the 2010 EZ-8 and Gouf Custom instead?

g's a weird one since you need a screwdriver, pretty good kit though. Unless you really want the gouf custom, the 2.0 is better.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

One's I've built
gn-x good build, though fins are loose
Gelgoog 2.0- good solid build
Geara Doga- good but the cables are a pain in the rear end
Tallgeese- fine, but you'll have to paint it if you want the traditional color scheme
Dom- old but still pretty okay.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Gundamguy's just reported the following announcements

Whaddya reckon; Transient Gundam, Spear set, and whatever that SD Lady was using?

I fell in love with the transient's gundams spear so I'll be picking up the spear set at least. Probably the gundam itself, because the design is pretty cool.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

MJP posted:

Yes, folded over hundreds of times, it can cut through a gateway that's actually a broadsword

I only got it so I could get very close, do a minor Xacto shave, and move on. So far I'm happier snap building; painting has its merits but I'm OK with stock colors thus far. As such if I have a tool that reduces building time effectively, I'm all about it.

and also getting my hands on as many as I can to hock on Ebay for ridiculous amounts

lookit this scrub limiting his gunpla's performance, painting for life. :smug:.

I am tempted to buy the godhand just because of the name.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

MJP posted:

Please add two hours to my average weekday so I have time to do the needful as far as painting goes :allears:

Would that I had such ancestral tin-snips, I could probably learn to sharpen them with a Dremel for long happy life.

You could just be like me and take two months to finish a kit.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

MJP posted:

What's the right way to dispose of your airbrush cleaning bottle's contents? I've got way too much Alclad, lacquer thinner, and airbrush cleaner in there to safely/legally put down the drain, nor do I want to wreak havoc on the ancient plumbing of my house.

don't most cities have a place where you can drop off hazardous household cehmicals like paint thinners?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Ka0 posted:

Everytime I see one of those gorgeous gargantuan kits a gland in my brain releases a chemical that makes me wonder "yes you built it, it's wonderful, and now it's going to sit there collecting dust until you move from home".

doesn't every model kit invariably end up sitting there and collecting dust?