Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

asterioth posted:

Decided to not line the gold parts of the Hyaku Shiki as the gold catches the light and makes the details standout on its own. Besides some scratches that were on the gold out of the wrappers I really like the kit, iot's probably one of the best kit's I've built so far in terms of the actual build. Managed to knock one of the finger segments off and it bounced on the ground where it seems to have gone to the void. Took one of the spare fingers from the Gouf, as it turns out its the same finger segment. Managed to get the paint mixed to drat near the same shade of grey.

Still need to work on using the lightbox and figuring out a good setup for the lights, also my camera work isnt that good either.

This looks real, real good. Is that a matte topcoat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
Oh god I got the RG Unicorn linked earlier and have only put 4 HGs together, ever

The assembly manual has 23 pages and dozens of "Don't cut this thing that looks exactly like a sprue" warnings

No idea how to put on these decals, the diagram looks like something leaked to Mulder

I am not prepared

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

StrixNebulosa posted:

Take it slow and enjoy building this thing!

:hai:

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
That GM is rad. Be careful if you xacto I've stabbed myself twice working on this Unicorn. Someone earlier recommended a scalpel, I think I'd be dead now.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
ty whoever linked the RG Unicorn sale earlier, ty ty. My first RG, finally finished assembly and it's rad as hell. The detail is incredible. I can't believe this thing emerged from those runners. Probably going to take another 2 weeks to put all these tiny tiny stickers on.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

Cojawfee posted:

Ah, ok. Thanks!

Have fun with that Rouei! I really like that model, it's on my wish list. It's a good color scheme, the head is cool, and the club is a nice weapon.

Midjack posted:

With the Unicorn and derivatives especially, you can stop when it looks good. They have a lot of blank space that a little decal breaks up nicely, but they provide way more decals than is (strictly speaking) sane.

Word. I've seen some pictures online that are pretty crazy, maybe even too busy, I guess that's why they say this stuff is more art than science.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
Omg just put a matte topcoat on for the first time

Matte topcoat is the best idea anyone has ever had

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

Gammatron 64 posted:

That action base with the explosions is freakin' sick.

Yeah that thing is cool as heck

Nice job all around

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

Neurolimal posted:

https://imgur.com/gallery/35gSN

Words fail to describe how glad I am that this project is finally finished. They also fail to describe how bad I am at camera settings.

:captainpop:

wanna dip this guy in butter. Love the fuel lines

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

Nebakenezzer posted:

I like the hoses. Boot lace?

The RG Gundam Mk II Titans comes with those kinda things too. You thread a wire through the middle to keep them in place.

Unfortunately all the measurements in the instructions are in millimeters (:911:) but they do have a scale ruler printed in the instructions hooray!

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
I put together the RG Unicorn and had so much fun I picked up the untransformed HG so I can put them next to each other. Gotta say, that HG is one of the best I've had. Stable, 2 stickers, easy to panel line, nearly everything is white so no stress mark worries. Took 3 hours masking the clear bits on the RG

Also made little notecard placards with their name + grade + scale so they look like museum specimens

Wow! So real!!

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

TaurusOxford posted:

They'll live on, on my shelf.

Very nice decals. Did you paint the metal bits (ie the blade shield) or did they come in that sheen?

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

Note that he didn't accidentally put the arms in the leg sockets and vice versa. Tired of seeing this amateur mistake in my DMs

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

MJP posted:

I did this a bit ago, and it is a good Soviet frog derivative until I have $160 I can dispose of without jeopardizing my funbux: https://imgur.com/gallery/Xvmgd

Maybe OT but how's the Cherno Alpha build going? I'm assuming it's the Plamax 1/350? I have big moon hits the eyes like a big pizza pie for that kit.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Well I tried to get the lighting as good as I possibly could but it's still a little bit spotty. But finally, three years after paying for it, and two years after starting the build, the Mechanicore Deep Striker is finished. Ish. Still have to decal up the thrusters/fuel tanks and build the rifle/hand but I can finally say I did it.

One grail down.

Holy loving poo poo dude

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
I'm putting together a 1/100 Graze and it's a lot of fun, like a real big HG with extra gimmicks (moving pistons, verniers, head stuff).

The Graze Kai looks cool, I wish they included that huge cannon in the HG.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
I was finishing up a Gouf Custom and my SO said "Oh he's stout, isn't he?"

just fuckin fat shamed that robot stone cold

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

Neurolimal posted:

O W N E D

Are you going to display him next to an overflag?

That's hilarious but I think I need a Gusion now

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

oh gently caress ive been doing it wrong this whole time

that's what i get for thinking i can read instructions in japanese!!

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

Beelerzebub posted:

The best part about winter break: I can finally work on my FM Bael and my first RG kit: Wing Gundam EW.

Are those FM kits about as complex as MG like I've heard?

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
Do they have like, a gold chrome out there? For the Hyaku Shiki. Google tells me something like Tamiya gold, buffed and gloss topcoat is the way to go. Will that give it a mirror sheen?

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

Beelerzebub posted:

I found him

there he is! Frank Gundam!!

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

:thunk:

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

Kuvo posted:

9 months and ~100 hours later MG Sazabi is done

:drat:

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
I didn't have too much trouble with the cables. The instructions have a mm ruler in the margins. The cables fit snugly and really make the model pop. Unfortunately they're most visible from behind!

But yeah it is a fun kit. I was a little surprised at how much of the internal frame was already assembled but man are those mechanics impressive.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
I'm surprised Bandai hasn't pooped out an MG Graze considering there's a million variants out there to milk. This frustrates me because I would buy all of them.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
I like the weathering :shobon:

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
Speaking of Big O, what kind of paint/weathering/effects would you need to recreate the kind of wrought iron, mottled texture they have on the Max Gokin figure?

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

Darkman Fanpage posted:

What is the most phallic of mobile suit designs? I’m having an idea...

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

asterioth posted:

From reddit, behold the abomination:

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
Hey kids gunpla master Marx Headroom here with a hot tip: using Contractor's Solvent to remove excess paint will make your model dissolve and melt before your very eyes. It's bad to kill but if you just murdered a gunpla and need to hide the evidence, ask your hardware store for Contractor's Solvent.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

Neddy Seagoon posted:

A pass through Google Translate says it's just a general "we're making HG's better" description. Finer details and part separation, more intricate assembly, that kinda thing.

Sounds about right. The new Act Zaku HG actually has a freakin gear system in the head that turns the eye sensor as you turn the head.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

DigitalRaven posted:

Bunch of kits from the new Build Fighters ("Build Divers") been revealed. The best one is the Grimoire Scopedog Red Beret.

https://www.gundamkitscollection.com/2018/02/hgbd-1144-grimoire-red-beret-release.html

Ha, I was like "Yeah that's scopedoggy if you squint" until I saw the red shoulder... on the wrong side

Def picking this up

Marx Headroom fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Feb 2, 2018

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

The Muffinlord posted:

I can't zoom in far enough, what the hell is going on inside of Haro on the bottom left?

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
the "Use MGs to slow down" strat works great for me, combined with the "Never start another kit until you're finished with your current one" rule it's like a brick wall, plus feels great to poop out an HG after you're done

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

That Gobbo posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Master-Performance-Airbrushing-Dual-Action-Airbrush/dp/B0017640RK/

This is the one I always recommend, you get a good compressor with all the addons and a decent starter airbrush. You can use the compressor going forward if you want to upgrade to a better airbrush.

Do you use a painting booth? I see some super nice ones on Amazon but lots of video tutorials feature some dude with a cardboard box

Improbable Lobster posted:

Heavy robots are the best robots. Gusion, The-O, the Hy-Gogg, drat. Thicc.

My man

Related: lol at Man Rodi being a kit, but infinitely better Landman was P-Bandai

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
What's the best way to paint tiny recesses and edges? I'm assuming a brush but wouldn't it be a huge pain to clean up mistakes? Would it be simpler (generally) to mask and spray? Example, yellow bits here:

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
If the heavy has the same head as the North American Local, you can indeed look forward to slick robot Oakleys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

Guy Goodbody posted:

Like, it skips the scene where Kamille and Jerid meet. The thing that sets up all of Kamille's development over the course of the whole story.

Seriously? Jeez that meeting sets up Jerid's development too, which is almost more entertaining. He gets in that one good :iceburn: on the kid and spends the rest of his miserable life paying for it.

Jokes on Kamille bc nobody ever tops the Mk-II color scheme