Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Man, I like the Jesta, but I keep holding out hope that one day they'll announce MG Jesta Cannon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

How's the 1/100 nemo? Good kit, or would I be better off just getting another GM79 to replace the one I busted the shoulder on?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

MJP posted:

(you should really be listening to this in the background while you read this post: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21OCh6Znel4)

He's a veteran ground-type with an eye for justice, his feet on the streets, and one hand on his Heat Hawk.

He's a new model fresh from Zimmad, with a chip on his shoulder as big as his experimental beam bazooka.

This summer, these two suits... are getting mobile on crime.

Zaku Morris II and Rick Dominguez are...
ZEEKS

Thursdays at 9/8 Central on Zabi TV

How do you like the Dom?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

The mono eye that slides from side to side when you turn the head is seriously the best gunpla technology. What an elegant and fun way to give character to the kit and make most any pose look more natural.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

The shields look almost like Nu Gundam shields, but would the Build Fighters Gouf R35 work, maybe?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Still waiting on the Guncannon 2.0 that was definitely coming with MG Guntank and RX-78 2.0 :smith:

How is MG Guntank, by the way? Obviously I wouldn't expect it to be super poseable, but I love the original series designs and how unique Guntank is compared to everything else. Can the LED that it comes with be used in another kit if I want to, or does it not include a normal neck assembly to replace it?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Aw man, looks like I accidentally must've filed off or snipped off one of the nubs that allows the Turn A's missile hatches to hook into the hinge. It stays put from friction, but when you try to open the hatches it pops off. Then again, most of the ones that have proper hinges pop off, too, so I guess it's no big loss.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

I think I remember hearing somewhere that the MG Turn A was supposed to come with an action base, is that not the case? Mine doesn't have one, at least. What's the right size base for 1/100 kits, anyway?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

New real grade prototypes are looking great

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

What's the deal with the MG Turn A arms? I've looked it over several times and I can't see how I've built them anything but correctly, but the elbow joint pops off at the slightest provocation, and doesn't ever slide fully into the slot it's meant for. Also, the bicep armor just kind of jiggles around on the bicep, it doesn't actually click on to anything.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Uznare posted:

Push it in until it pops. thats literally all it is.

Thanks, I figured it might be that but I don't really like to take the "try and force it" approach unless I know it works. It always wigs me out how often "just fuckin cram it in there" is the solution when it comes to hundreds-of-dollars PC components.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Man, you guys were completely right about the MG Turn-A. What an astounding kit, it's just a joy to pose. Doesn't hurt that its design is one of the best in all of Gundam, for sure. The gimmicks are great too, even if one of my chest-missile hinges is broken.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Gafran, that fat chunky nerd of a mobile suit with a helmet that looks like Emily the Strange's hair and a big poofy dress?

?

I tried coaxing my Turn A's hand to hold the little pop-out handle on the extended beam rifle and his hand exploded, sending fingers flying off into a black hole. :smith:

Edit: Two of these fingers are definitely gone for good. I know you can order generic hands for EF and Zeon, but the Turn-A has different, tiny hands. Is there a way to order the right type that doesn't involve getting a MG Turn A sprue shipped from Japan? What a bummer. I guess if it comes down to it I'll just put giant emotion manipulators on it and consider it an upgrade, or use the static posed hand.

Anonymous Robot fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jan 18, 2015

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

For real, is there any way to get new fingers for the Turn A MG? I looked at some spare hands I had lying around but they're all ball-joint, whereas the Turn A hands are sockets, and they're smaller and less articulated than 2.0 or 3.0 hands, but apparently bigger than kits that preceded it. It'd be a real bummer to have to put the static hand on it so it can't hold any weapons.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

The Zoids RPG on Game Boy Advance was some kinda dope poo poo.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

I just got my first action base and being able to do flying poses is so cool :swoon:

I do wish it could go short enough to add support to standing poses the kit isn't balanced enough to manage on its feet, though, or pegs on the base for the same.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

alphabrawl posted:

I'm probably the only nerd that things most Gundam look like over designed boondoggles.

I like the Zaku, though. They look like a more reasonable boondoggle. Are there any "must-have" Zaku kits out there?

We have similar tastes. The MG Zaku II 2.0 is an excellent kit, as is the MG Gouf 2.0. On the Fed side, check out the Jesta (MG and HG are both great kits).

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

You're definitely right about the 2.0 having more accessories, but I'm a big dumb oaf who's broken almost every Gunpla kit I've had in one way or another, and the 3.0 doesn't feel super fragile to me. I had no problems with the build, and I seriously can't stress how loving dumb I am (just look at my posts in this thread).

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

The arms' construction can best be described as "gently caress you", the little bits on the backpack and the beam saber recharge racks can snap off at a moment's notice, it has the ever fragile emotion manipulators, and thanks to the Core Block system it's entirely too easy for the bottom half to just fall right off.

Personal experience can vary on a lot of details, but most of the stuff I just listed is inherent to the design. The 3.0 is specifically supposed to be a hodgepodge of all of the latest advancements in gunpla, so naturally it's not exactly the stablest thing.

I've never built a 2.0 so I can't really compare them, but I guess we'll have to agree to disagree! I seriously love the emotion manipulators and think they're the sturdiest hands I've ever seen. I was wary of the RX78 because other kits I've had with core landers or transforming kits have that problem where they break at the waist constantly. By contrast, the core torso/waist connection on my 3.0 is incredibly solid, to the point where I have to use a bit of force to get the lander out! (Also, doesn't it give the option of building it without the lander system?)

The arms are a poor design. There's no actual problem with their end result, but the process of building them is unlike anything I've seen in gunpla before- ideally, you don't want to be holding the arm when putting it together, but instead bracing it against a surface and resting the parts where you want them, before closing the arm up. It's weird and they should at least explain it in the manual.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

This is a Zaku 2.0 recolor, right? http://smile.amazon.com/Gundam-MS-0...er+grade+gundam

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Hey y'all, gently caress the treads on the MG Guntank, gently caress them forever.

Where can I order another sprue? :)

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Chewbacca posted:

I already have a Gundam 2.0 and a Guncannon, so some day I will inevitably buy and build that kit. What should I be on the lookout for? Let your own pain be a lesson for others.

The treads lock together via latches that fit into extremely small plastic nubs. The slightest over-exertion of pressure when fitting the treads together will file a nub right off, rendering the tread useless. Graciously, each sprue (each one builds one track) has two more treads than you need to complete the track, so there is some leeway. Unfortunately, I'm an ogre, so now I have a Guntank with one sad, drooping tank track.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Bimmi posted:

Why not glue the damaged links with contact cement and place them along the bottom of the track?

Because I'm not smart.

Nah, actually I was considering doing that but it just kinda got away from me I guess. I still have the busted links, though, so I'll do it now.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

MG Dom and Rick Dom are getting reprints? Is this something I'll actually be able to get my hands on, or will they sell out before they're available internationally?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Holy poo poo please make a MG of this

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Bimmi posted:

GrrrrrrraaAARRRRGHHH (rends garment):

Oh man this is exactly my poo poo :smith:

What is the process of getting a web shop exclusive anyways? Is it a crapshoot if you aren't Japanese? Are supplies super low? Does importing cost a lot?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Seriously, GM Cannon is the next best thing after MG Guncannon 2.0 on my wish list of kits.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

So, I'm building a MG Jesta at the moment, and it appears that I don't actually have the I1 sprue. It's a small one, but I don't see myself having thrown it out when taking the sprues out of their bags. But, it's definitely not in this box, either. Huh...

Edit: It was a 2-piece clear sprue, so maybe I actually did somehow put it in the trash with a polybag. Either that or it was just never included. gently caress me, now I have a useless kit. :smith:

Anonymous Robot fucked around with this message at 22:57 on May 22, 2015

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

If anyone was interested, Gentei Kits is taking preorders for the GM Cannon now.

Edit: What is EMS shipping and why is it faster and cheaper than air mail?

Anonymous Robot fucked around with this message at 06:22 on May 25, 2015

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

I don't know anything about the anime, but despite my usual aversion to Gundam hero suits, the MG Age kits look really nice. Distinctive, characteristic, and with clean, simple silhouettes. It looks like the kits are pretty good for poseability and stuff too, and they're pretty cheap, I'm guessing because the show tanked?

Edit: Looking over some reviews, I guess they're not very good and the Double Bullet is a transforming suit. Hm.

Anonymous Robot fucked around with this message at 05:10 on May 31, 2015

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Those grunt suits are cool, I wish they made MG's of them. Of the AGE sets, I like Sparrow the best. Titus is cool too, though.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Based on everything you keep extolling about suits you like, I've found the ultimate suit for you, just in silhouette. Look forward to the Bandai official release in a year.

Hey thanks for this, I was able to search around and find some production photos

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Whoa, Unicorn Z'Gok is so cool looking.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Just ordered my first ever HG kit. I couldn't resist the charms of the Zogok, despite my monomaniacal fixation on having everything be the same scale.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Built my first HG kit today, the Unicorn ver. Zogok.

I love the design, how goofy it looks, almost like something out of Big O, complete with telescopic piston punches. The boomerangs are really fun, and the emphasis on the Zeon cyclopic aesthetic with the giant glass eye in the torso is awesome, truly alien looking and emphasizing just how strange the idea of a mobile suit really is. It almost looks like a kaiju monster.

The actual kit I'm less enthused about. I like it, overall, but it's definitely more of a statue than what I expect of a gunpla kit. I'm sure this is partly the limitations of the Zogok itself, being a hunched, hose-limbed doofus, and partly that it was a HG kit. You actually get decent poseability in the legs, taking in those considerations, but the arms are pretty limited and will pop off at the elbow and wrist pretty often. I don't like kits with extra hands in general- this happens with MGs too, and I just choose which hands are the permanent ones, toss the extras in storage and pretty much never consider them again. The telescoping arm effect is achieved with an extra part that you have to take the hand off, attach to the wrist, and then re-attach the hand. Were it a MG kit, I imagine there'd be some kind of slide/lock mechanism to permit this to happen without a parts change and as an action feature, but maybe that's hopeful thinking. Similarly, the backpack has hoses that are molded as a single plastic piece which completely immobilizes the torso. On a MG, I have to think this would be a flexible hose.

Now I remember what it reminds me of! Mega Man's Yellow Devil.

It's really good looking, though! For the price, I would consider getting more kits that are cool and would probably never get a MG release.

lovely cell phone photo, pre (minimal) panel lining:

Anonymous Robot fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jun 5, 2015

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Kibner posted:

Anonymous Robot, the MG Acguy has the extending, sliding limb feature you were lamenting wasn't on the HG Zogok. It works ok. Both the arms and legs are telescopic.

Yeah, I figured. When I saw it was an effect part I thought "hm, this wouldn't fly on a MG". Funny enough, I don't really care to much for the Acguy, but I love the suit with the dumbass elephant snout. I'm thinking about getting a MG Z'Gok if I can find one for a decent price and get over my apprehension about pre-2.0 kits.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Man, the LED effect on MG Jesta is fantastic. I wish, though, that they could've engineered it so that the clear parts pipe to the communicator thing on the side of the head. It probably wouldn't work very well (even the head gem doesn't pipe light super well), but the sticker they gave it looks really cheap, particularly because it's too big to actually fit in the space where it's meant to.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

I have definitely seen people advise others to avoid Toyshop Japan Hobbyone on the grounds that their shipping is really cheap and packages can end up getting wrecked. The thing about Amazon Prime is that if a product is Prime, then it's already in the United States in an Amazon warehouse, so it's safe to order from TSJHO. Otherwise, there's at least some risk to it, I guess.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

TaurusOxford posted:

Quick update and early thoughts:

- Really fun to build so far
- V-fun safety nubs were easy to remove
- Gold sharpie does wonders
- Sora Tryon's stickers are awful. The eyes were a pain to line up and don't even bother with the yellow ones on the side of its head.

Wow, you did that with sharpie? Did you have to primer it first? Thinking I may try the same thing with my RX78 3.0 copper parts, because I could never get the paint to stick even when primed for some reason (probably because I used paint-on primer).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

closeted republican posted:

Banzai Hobby is running a 25% to 30%-off sale on certain kits from today to the 14th.

http://banzaihobby.com/plastic-models/epic-gunpla-sale-11-14th-june

Most of the kits are HGUC, but some Wing MG kits, like the Deathscythe, along with the Sinanju ver OVA and Hi-Nu Gundam Ver Ka, are on sale.

I managed to snag an HGUC ZZ Doven Wolf and Black Tri-stars Zaku I for a cool $28, including shipping. :toot:

Man, if only that Nemo was the MG one.

Edit: They have a lot of MGs for 25% off, too. These are really great prices.

Edit2: Shipping, drat. Ah well, I'll still see how much it costs to get a bunch of the goofy HGs I had an eye on.

Anonymous Robot fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jun 12, 2015