Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
OMG, finally caught up with the thread, after starting from the beginning in early May. :toot:
It was a good, often funny read and I have learned quite a bit, like for example what the gently caress Ver.Ka actually means. Also there are quite some talented builders here and I hope some of your stuff will make me better too.

Anyway... hi, thread, I picked up my first Gunpla last month after realizing that building & buying big space Lego models from my early childhood (you know, the kits your parents did not buy you as a kid) was immensely satisfying and put me in a zen like stance, was just not financially viable (build time to money ratio), nor was it an economical use of my apartment space. Despite never having watched Gundam Wing, as far as I can remember, my inner edge lord compelled me to pick up the MG Death Scythe EW as my first kit. Having built tons of tabletop plastic models in the last decades and many Zoids as a kid in the 80's, I went the MG route, as the HG and PG kits felt a little bit to tiny for me. Did not regret that choice and I will stick to MGs. Unsurprisingly, I was more reminded of the 80's Zoids kits than the Games Workshop and Privateer Pres oeuvre, which luckily was exactly what I was looking for. :)

I am currently working through the whole Wing team and really enjoy the models looking good without having to paint them. Although, I might touch up Heavy Arm's guns a little bit, once I am done with it.

All the people who said that the Wing is unable to hold its gun were not kidding; it's atrocious. The pose above is the best I could come up with and I am waiting for my action base 1 to ship from Japan to put it into a somewhat better one.
Speaking about the Bandai action bases, what the eff is their deal? Why are there so many different ones? Does anybody have some advice on which base to use for what or is it purely an aesthetic choice?

My next 11 kits are already ordered and I am looking forward to post my backlog then to be truly a part of this thread. :v:

Oh, and have watched Build Fighters and Build Fighters Try to get in the mood. It was the most anime I have watched in two decades. This was pretty much my reaction to it most of the time:

Well, thanks for reading my blog. I'll have the whopper menu, please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Hell Gem

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

This breaks it down: https://gundam.fandom.com/wiki/Action_Base

But basically Action Bases 1 and 4 can hold MGs, 2, 3 and 5 can't. 4 and 5 are just better versions of 1 and 2, while 3 lets you stick a picture in the base if you want.

edit: I very much dislike my Zaku Amazing, I'd recommend one of the like dozen HG Origin Zakus over it, since you can (could?) get the Zaku Amazing boosters as a standalone thing if you really want them.

Thanks, that was really helpful!

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Hell Gem
Has anybody here experience with the "titanium" plated models? How easy does that poo poo scratch and how much more difficult is the assembly because of it?

Tarquinn fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Jun 13, 2020

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Hell Gem

Snake Maze posted:

I've built the MG Nu with the titanium finish and I thought it looked really good. No scratches or anything, and it wasn't any more difficult than a regular MG. The spots where you trim the piece off the runner are more noticeable than usual, but on the Nu at least they're all hidden from sight in the finished model.

Ah, perfect. That's the one I was ogling. Thanks! :tipshat:

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Hell Gem
Just finished my Heavy Arms and put Wing onto a base.

Looks better now, but I gave up on that effing gun Wing is using and used some glue. Also touched up the Heavy Arms with some paint, but it's not really noticeable on the picture. Baby steps. :3:

Also my order from HLJ arrived today. Build order is probably from top to bottom.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Hell Gem
Thanks, d3lness. :hfive:

Midjack posted:

Having built both I suggest putting something between Gundam 3.0 and Banshee as a break as they are both builds with a lot of little interactive pieces that can get frustrating. With Gundam 3.0 the Core Fighter isn’t required; there is a solid piece that goes in the chest intended for me use with the LED puck that will save you a couple of hours and make the finished model more stable. With Banshee, notice that the very first pieces you put together (I2/I8)have two positions; not moving this piece when transforming is the source of many complaints about the MG Unicorn waists.

I will keep that in mind. Thank you! :tipshat:

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Hell Gem

asterioth posted:

Finally got around to panel lining this:

Looks great. :golfclap:

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Hell Gem
Are there any good guns akimbo MG gunpla and any whose primary color is mostly deep green* and/or purple?

*Besides Zakus. I got Char‘s Zaku in my next batch of orders. Not sure yet if I want a regular Zaku too.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Hell Gem

chiasaur11 posted:

Sounds like you want Dynames. Pretty recent, mostly green, twin pistols in addition to the sniper rifle, and it has the articulation to get pretty much any gunslinger's pose you want.

If that one's not your speed, the GM Sniper Custom might work for you. The green's muddier, but it's still loaded to the nines with a pistol, a beam spray gun, a double barreled beam spray gun, a bazooka, and a sniper rifle.

Thanks, I'll look those up! :tipshat:

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Hell Gem

LibrarianCroaker posted:

The Buster maybe? Mostly green and beige, the hip mounted cannons can go akimbo or be plugged into each other.

I will look into it. Thank you! 🙏🏻

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Hell Gem
Well, it seems I phrased that wrong, sorry. I am looking for two separate MG kits: One that is good for a guns(preferably pistols) akimbo pose and one kit that is very green or mostly purple.

For the first one I am liking the Strike Noir the most right now.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Hell Gem
Thanks guys for all your suggestions! It’s highly appreciated! :keke:

I am not the biggest fan of Zaku types, no. But I feel my collection should include some of them for variety purposes. I want to limit my collection to a certain size*, so that every model still gets room to show off, and I guess that makes me a little bit picky.

I am also considering spraying a model.

*Current plan. Let’s see if I will succeed.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Hell Gem
I will spraypaint the green and/or purple model of my dreams. Seems to be the best way to get what I want. :)

Bees on Wheat posted:

Get the Dynames.

Sorry the picture is poo poo but I just got back from the pub. It's a MG, it's very green, and it has many guns. Literally the only thing I didn't like about this kit is that the pistol holsters don't stay on the legs very well, so I left them off.. but if you want the pistols in hand anyway, that shouldn't be a biggie.

Also, as a matter of science, I left the LED units on for about 4 hours (while I was at the pub) and you can now look at them without immediately going blind, despite using bottom-of-the-shelf batteries from Amazon.
Thanks. I looked at some pictures and unfortunately I think that model is kind of ugly. :shrug:

The color scheme is good, though.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Hell Gem

Zodar posted:

Those are the best/only good mobile suits

What's your favourite?

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Hell Gem

Marx Headroom posted:

Me too :buddy: I just finished snap fitting together the Banshee Ver Ka and it really grew on me. Can't wait for my setter to come in so I can affix the several dozen freakin waterslides!!!

That are some awesome shots!

Looking really forward to building my Banshee now. Thanks! 😊

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Hell Gem

Null of Undefined posted:

I finished weathering my Hello Kitty and made a dumb trendy video of it for my instagram/twitter

https://twitter.com/nullofundefined/status/1278873613169332224?s=20

That is not something I would have done, but it sure is unique and creative. Good job! :)

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Hell Gem

Vaporware posted:

Shipping from Japan is killing me, even surface mail on 1kg is over $20. Why oh why are so many sales going on right now!

I bet DHL is over $40

Same here. My last order of five kits did cost me about EURO 110.00 in FedEx shipping and about the same amount in tolls and fees. If I look at the HLJ prices I can pretty much simply double them to see what I really pay for each kit. :shepspends:

This is also why I really hope this hobby will not end in an addiction and I will manage to curate my collection and limit its size. :v:

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Hell Gem

mllaneza posted:

NewtypeHQ is low on Vallejo paints. Who else is a favored, ideally domestic, reseller ?

Well, probably not a popular or cheap choice, but Games Workshop's paints are really good.

Teehee, totally misread that.

Tarquinn fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jul 6, 2020

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Hell Gem

bij posted:

Handsome big ole boi

For you experts, this is not painted, it is just a matte spray coating, right?

Fake edit: Goddamn, this background. I was desperately searching the submit reply button for a couple of minutes. :v:

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Hell Gem

Magical Bee posted:

Has anyone here made the MG Epyon? Is it like... endless sandpapering to try to get it to look good?

I am currently building mine, and I think that the dark red handles stress marks slightly better than most blues. Also, it seems that all in all the runners are designed pretty well and many of the potential stress points are out of sight on the finished model.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Hell Gem
I'm bad with Gunpla, how did this get there... :ohdear: I haven't even finished the last batch yet.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Hell Gem
Guys, when you are swooning over nippers in this thread, you are talking about these, right?

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Hell Gem
Alright, thanks a lot! :tipshat:

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Hell Gem

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They've been back-ordered since December, but I know they'll be back in-stock and able to fulfill my order one day.

One day... :negative:.

:catstare:

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Hell Gem

Gripweed posted:

They announced a new PG RX-78 a little while back, right? I'm guessing this is what it's gonna look like.

I don't want to be that guy who had to put on all those waterslide transfers. :v:

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Hell Gem
Goddamit, just as I bought my RX78-2 3.0. :argh:

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Hell Gem

mllaneza posted:

The RG Evangelion kits are intense builds. I lucked into a second RG EVA-01 so I'm building one unpainted, looking for clues as to how best to paint the others. And I'm worried, the tolerances are very tight. I can probably avoid the worst of that by only painting the exposed parts of the skeleton. For the rest, that's why there's sandpaper I suppose.

I've got the body and head units assembled. Assembling those were intense experiences. Most gunpla kits are far more on the human end of the "humanoid" scale, when working on an EVA unit you really can't get away from the fact that the thing inside the armor is not human. It's the torso articulation more than anything else, people just do not move like that.

Some real artistry went into the head on this kit. It's got the EVA profile down perfectly. Open the mouth and you've got a red maw that makes it look hungry, and I'd rather deal with Bruce Banner angry than Unit 01 hungry. I'd almost swear the eyes are looking back at you.

And supposedly the PG kit is better.

What size is your Eva kit, say compared to an an average MG?

Seriously considering getting the Eva trio atm. :homebrew:

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Hell Gem
Thanks guys! :hfive:

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Hell Gem
Well, just ordered my MG GM Sniper II to participate. Let's see if I will actually have it till the deadline. :v:

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Hell Gem

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Me too! I just got mine off amazon though so it'll be here tomorrow.

Well, if I order from my regional Amazon it is even more expensive than ordering from HLJ. :shrug:

Looking forward to your Sniper II custom.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Hell Gem

MizPiz posted:

I was planning on painting

The goal is something like this

:catstare: ...

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Hell Gem

MizPiz posted:

I'm guessing I should take that as a "you should figure something else out"

No, that was a “this is so far beyond my own skills and I want to see it”-stare.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Hell Gem

Holy gently caress! My custom Gunpla will be just replacing colours. You win! :v:

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Hell Gem

runwiled posted:

Hello folks! It's been a while!

I'm looking into getting back into model making after a hiatus of a few years due to moving and...life. I need to pick up some fresh tools and was looking for good nippers and I know people talk about GodHands but which version? I'm placing an order through HLJ and wasn't sure which ones I'm supposed to be looking at.

The thread told me it is this one: https://www.hlj.com/ultimate-nipper-5-0-gh-spn-120-godspn-120

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Hell Gem
So, just finished my MG Unicorn, non Ver. Ka and the assembly itself was really fun. Unfortunately its legs dangle around like those if a rag doll when lifted. It stands fine on its own, but I want to put it on base. What’s the best or better easiest solution to fix that problem?

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Hell Gem

Midjack posted:

Clear nail polish on the leg pegs, then slip the legs on when it dries. The joint should be a little tighter due to the nail polish.

Thanks, I will give that a try! :tipshat:

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Hell Gem

Zeether posted:

I'm looking at the Kobu instructions and what the everloving gently caress am I supposed to do here? The ruler doesn't show millimeters

Quick conversion:
30mm are roughly one and one fifth inch.
40mm are roughly one and three fifths of an inch.

If you want to be super accurate look up an online conversion tool.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Hell Gem
HLJ‘s packing is exemplary. Highly recommended. 👌🏻

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Hell Gem

What am I looking at here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Hell Gem
Cool, thanks!