Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I built a model kit of Roll that I got myself for my birthday recently, and loved it a lot. First time I've done a model kit thing.

And I enjoyed it a lot! so i asked some friends about other fun model kits and they suggested gunpla

the first one i got was the hello kitty/SD rx-79 kit. i also got some gundam markers and tried to kinda learn panel lining on that a lil bit

and then i got a few proper kits, and kind of have just been improving as i go in terms of stress mark/nub stuff and panel lining and etc

got the Shining Gundam

Master Gundam & Fuunsaiki

and the Titus Gundam which i know nothing about but thought looked cool and punchy, which appeals to me

aaaand i ordered like 8 more kits and some nicer tools (ive been using a cheapy $9 kit from amazon for these, though on Roll i just used a spare pair of nailclippers i had lying around) so i think i'm all-in on this now. i didn't expect to find myself a brand new hobby that i'd be into so deeply so quickly right off the bat in 2021 but i am so glad i did. everything's been HGs so far except Hello Kitty, but ive got two RGs coming (the gundam mk2 and char's z'gok) and i'm excited to see what building those are like.

next thing i wanna do is start looking into learning how to prime/paint/etc these guys properly so i can do some customs sometime!

also: are there any really cool kits that light up that aren't mega expensive? i love light-up stuff, and the PG Exia looks amazing but i dont have that kind of money, so something smaller-scale would be super fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Hang on, where the gently caress did you find an HG Titus Gundam for a (presumably) normal price? And is it a place with an online storefront?

i got it on amazon. had a gift card i got for my birthday, which is what i used to get all of those except Roll. he was like $22 which i don't know how close to retail that is but it seemed reasonable? free shipping too.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005JABVFO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sea Lily fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Feb 1, 2021

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Made a few more kits after i got my big ol order of gunpla stuff. enjoying them all a lot

there was this uh... non-gundam... clown? thing? i dont really know what it is but it looked cool and was super cheap. lil unstable and fall-aparty but a nice looking kit.

i got about halfway through building Mobile Doll May and needed a lil break so I made this SD Guntank whom I love dearly

and May herself was a really neat build, very different from the standard Gundam-shaped stuff I'd done. a little less posable than i was hoping for? but having a lil stand included in her kit was nice.

and then i got to the big boy- my first RG kit, the Mk2 Gundam. im really happy with it!

this dude was more of an undertaking than I expected- but not in a bad way. really enjoyed building it. ive got a few other HGs i wanna do first, but my next RG is gonna be the Char Z'gok and I'm really looking forward to it.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

maybe went a little crazy with some add-on Builders kits and the 30 Minute Missions effects kits

https://twitter.com/SleepySeaLily/status/1360449624520208385

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I built the Origin RX-78-2 and had a... time of it

It turned out good in the end! but. i lost the red forehead gem and spent like two and a half hours trying to find it on the floor- ultimately i gave up, and used one of the gundam paint markers to just kinda... draw in some red on the spot where it should be. And from across the room it looks great!

the little yellow crotch V sticker also managed to crumble itself into being impossible to use, so i tried painting it myself, and ive learned that i need to get some little tiny brushes because drawing little details on with these paint markers is too messy to do easily. but they do work well!

its kinda funny because i was using this kit to try out some paint marker stuff anyway- the little chest-topper guns look nice with the metallic grey, and i used it in a few other little spots like the vents on the front of the legs, just to kinda jazz this guy up a tad. and the bolts on the shield, which adds a lot to it's look. there's enough detail going on that my sloppy work goes unnoticed pretty easily though

also the ab crunch on this boy is nutso

hoping to attach his unused shoulder gun thing to the Origin Guncannon somehow though. i'll figure out a way

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I did my first mod to a kit, hoorayyy!

Drilled a hole in this guy's backpack to be able to mount a second shoulder gun that I had left over from my Origin RX-78-2 kit (and also put the missile pod together basically backwards, so it'd fit in the middle too).

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I broke my own rule of not getting any kits pre-2010 and built this 2003 HG Z'Gok-E because I liked the design.

Do not make that mistake.

The kit looks alright now that it's done, but it was just the worst part of everything I've built so far rolled into one kit. Extremely obvious nub marks on every single piece, stickers that are thick and just plain don't look good, weird fiddly bits that tend to get themselves misaligned constantly, absolute poo poo tier articulation (also NO EYE ARTICULATION which is KILLING me), the plastic feels old and flimsy, and he cannot hold a single drat pose now that he's finished being built. The boy is a ragdoll on top of having mediocre articulation to begin with.

Still looks nice on a shelf, especially since I painted some gunmetal bits on him to break up the sea of mono-color plastic, but in the future I really should look up reviews if I'm gonna pick up an older kit.

I've learned my lesson.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

did my first 1/100 scale kit, the Full Mechanics Lupus Rex. it rules, I love this thing

i was particularly impressed that the wire for the tail actually holds it up really well without any support. i think it'd droop if i had it just sticking straight out, but have a nice curve to it that works with gravity a little bit and you get great results. filed/sanded the claws down to be more pointy and less just banana fingers, then painted them yellow, which ended up kinda messy but not so messy im gonna redo it again

and here he is hangin out with his new friends, Some Other Gundams. being the only 1/100 ive got makes him like, extra intimidating. i gotta punch up the personality of his shelf pose a lil bit but thats gonna involve rearranging the rest of the stuff on there so ill do it later

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Went with my dad to a hobby shop, just to have somethin' to do, and he was kind enough to buy two kits for me! Thanks, dad.

The first I spotted and knew I needed was the Leo- I haven't found this guy anywhere online for less than like $30 and there he is in-store and in-hand for like $10. I like this hobby shop. (they also had three of the RG Zeong Last Shooting sets and I hope there's still one left by the time my new job starts paying me)

Quick and easy build, I added some gunmetal paint to some spots just to break up the monotony of the green and- wait uh wrong pic one sec

...anyway, I think it turned out pretty good. still looks like a grunt unit, but it's got a little more punch to it that'll help it look good on the shelf alongside protag mobile suits. once I get the RG Wing he's gonna have someone to play with and I'm looking forward to that.

Also, some really bright silver paint on the plastic surface behind the 'eye' helped brighten that up and catch light really effectively, I'm happy I gave that a try because I'm definitely gonna use it on other sets with clear parts in the future

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I built a Kamiki Burning Gundam aaaaaand about around the time I got to the shoulders I realized this kit had no stickers in it. But it was supposed to have stickers in it.

So, since the Kamiki Burning has that big shoulder logo sticker thaaaat was a problem but then I dug through my lil bag of unused parts and effects pieces and I found something I could use instead! Which is why it has that crazy exploding shoulder emblem now

I really like this kit! The arms and head pop off a lil easily but I'm just gonna tighten up the ball joints with some nail polish to fix that. Some metallic silver paint under the transparent parts helped them look visually consistent (some being over red and some being over white looks weird tbh), and it poses super well. And comes with probably the coolest effect parts I've seen so far in any of the kits I've built

but next im gonna build an SD Z'gok and make him the fanciest little lad

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Sea Lily posted:

but next im gonna build an SD Z'gok and make him the fanciest little lad

so, that didnt take very long

love this spicy lil meatball

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Got the EG RX-78-2 because I'd heard good things, and I have now experienced these good things. What a fun, simple, high quality kit. I really hope they do more EG kits in the future, because this thing's rock-solid in terms of engineering.

Also I used the metallic gundam markers to make it shiny.

and here he is alongside the HG Origin version, which I also still love

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

i am running out of space. i need somewhere else i can put these guys

https://twitter.com/SleepySeaLily/status/1370125423519076353

Also working on this lil dude

He's not panel lined yet(and needs some cleanup), and there's still the non-SD transformation portion of the kit I've gotta make. but i went in on painting this guy up moreso than i have any other kit, and it's looking really good so far. I like when kits have little bits that are 'officially' not colored but look great when you throw some on them, like his lil ninja gauntlets.

was also pleasantly surprised to see that he uses an SDCS frame by default, so I threw one of the Silhouette Boosters in there and I love the proportions.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

i got one of the koto MSG weapon kits, thought a sniper rifle sounded cool

it's uhm. its cool! i gotta pretty it up some still, but

it's... a lot bigger than I expected?

the grip's clearly made for 1/144 scale duders, so its not me accidentally getting a 1/100 scale weapon like I briefly thought, its just. huge.

i kinda love it.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I finished the RX-Zeromaru and it's a pretty cool kit.

SD Mode:

Real Mode:

and the True Ultimate Form, Super Baby Mode:

(ok this isnt a real mode but it should be)

If you like painting kits, this one's a lot of fun- but if you're more of a sticker kinda person, stay away. This guy's stickers are really ugly and there's tons and tons of them.

Also, relevant to recent posts, I did all the gold/green/gunmetal/red on this kit with metallic Gundam markers. It looks really good. They're a great way to get into painting- and if you hold the tip down they'll dispense their pre-thinned paint, which you can use with a brush, for smaller spots and fine details.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I built some more stuff!

First was the High-Resolution God Gundam, which was a really interesting kit- the internal frame's already all done, including some metal parts and some very nice joints, and you just do the rest. I enjoyed it a lot and it's a pretty gorgeous kit.

And then, continuing my newfound love of SD kits, I did the SDCS Sisquiede with a CS frame and the Silhouette Boosters thrown in because I love the proportions they get with those.

I love the Gundam aesthetic paired with a monoeye.

bandai please give me an HG or MG Sisquiede. it's so good.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I built another SDCS I've been looking forward to getting, the Barbatos Lupus Rex

And for fun I mashed him up with the Sisquiede to make the Sisquiede Lupus Rex! Which ended up looking pretty good?

Had to mod the monoeye and the lupus rex 'helmet' to get things to fit together, but neither kit was hurt by it so it was fun to screw around with for a lil bit.

also notably the Lupus Rex comes with a CS frame in addition to the SD frame, and with these lanky arms and funky legs the CS frame really is what makes this lil dude shine. good kit

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Decided to try out some weathering and battle damage stuff for the first time, and my Z'Gok-E fell off a shelf and had one of his arms explode into pieces so I considered it him volunteering as tribute

im gonna throw a matte topcoat on him sometime tomorrow, but i haven't tried it on top of any of these gundam markers before so i wanted to document him as-is before the topcoat like... melts all the paint and ink or something.

i think i did pretty okay for a first time!

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Thanks yall 💖 I'm trying to really get a good grasp on it before I tackle the MG Exia with it's repair parts, which I wanna do a really good job on making look like it's been through hell and then left to rot

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

One of my best friends got me a HG Wing Zero kit and I decided- it's a present, I'm gonna do something fancy with it.

Started with just wanting to give it feathery wings like the EW design, but it ended up being more than that in a few ways. So since it was feeling close enough to some kind of Build Fighters style variant MS, I named it the Archangel Wing Zero

closeup on the damaged head

and to further push the Build Fighters vibe I went ahead and gave it a super form kinda thing, Edensguard Mode

Really enjoying adding some chipping/wear/damage to kits, definitely gonna keep doing that in the future.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

That looks way better than I would have expected something described as a 'Lego Eva' to look

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Tarquinn posted:

NGL, that looks pretty awesome! :golfclap:

Where’s that sword from?

Thanks! And the sword is a koto MSG accessory kit thing, the big floating shield in the last pic is from the same lil set, I think it's called the Knight Master Sword

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

de-stressed after work today by building a cute lil HG kit, the Momokapool. enjoyed it a lot, fun and unique build and the kit includes just enough 'unused' parts to extend the arms by another full joint segment each so I went ahead and gave him those extra long wiggly arms

https://twitter.com/SleepySeaLily/status/1379237058351300608

definitely recommend it if you wanna do a build that isn't just the usual gundam/zaku stock biped style stuff

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

If I ever end up finding another Momokapool for cheap I might get it just to make the arms twice as long

Onmi posted:

3 more kits for the wardrobe

haven't built the other two but Leo is a fun, quick lil build to knock out sometime. good picks though. i want to get the hyaku-shiki with the gold coating

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I built myyyy first Master Grade kit, the Gundam Mk2. My fav Gundam design.

and here he is with the RG I built a while back

Really enjoyed it, I like the internal frame thing on this scale more than on the smaller RG scale (though RGs are definitely really impressive for their size). Looking forward to building more MGs in the future, but I think I'm gonna probably keep my focus on HG/RG kits.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I built a non-gundam plamo

https://twitter.com/SleepySeaLily/status/1383242208271224839

I don't know if I'd recommend the kit but it was a nice change of pace to do something cute instead of just more robots whomst fight. i do recommend that guitar though, Koto's MSG Live Axe. it rules, great in both guitar mode and battleaxe mode (the axe head swivels around the bottom to the other side) and it has some cool electricity effect parts. just add a lil paint and that's all it needs

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I always forget that different model kits have different plastics and stuff like that could happen. Hopefully it didn't do anything you can't fix?

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

hey i built the HG Psycho Gundam and oh no its big

RG Mk2 there for scale and also fun. this kit is definitely old, the 3rd party decals i picked up help it out some, but it's just big and lacking detail. i'd really like to see it get an RG or something, someday, just to bring this Huge Boy into the modern era. it's bigger than my 1/100 kits and its only a 1/144 scale. i think it's almost the size of a PG.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

i got me a Woundwort, it's my fav HG kit so far

quick and unique build, if you get a chance to get one for near retail cost you shouldn't pass it up

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Justin_Brett posted:

Is there something in particular you have to do to get the stickers off an RG sheet? I'm close to finishing the Crossbone but none of the eye ones want to budge.

first, make sure it's actually the sticker sheet and not the waterslides.

Second, not really, though I usually slip a blade or tweezer arm beneath them for gentle removal

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I set up a little shelving thing just for my backlog, and if it fills up i make myself empty at least two shelves by building stuff before i buy any more(and theres 4 shelves total so thats half the backlog). its worked out pretty well so far, except that I keep preordering things and my brain doesn't count those against the shelfspace limit no matter how hard i try to make it do this.

though now that i've picked up an airbrush, and the paints i ordered finally got here today, i think i've got a bigger incentive to do customs and kitbashes so things might end up slowing down

like this megaman/roll kitbash that i'm gonna prime and paint (hopefully) this weekend

https://twitter.com/SleepySeaLily/status/1389587052610691075

want to do a glossy metallic/candy finish on the red bits and a more matte look for the darker 'bodysuit' parts, and i think it'll look really good. rebuilding the helmet interior to fit a different kit's face and have a hole for a ponytail in the back, was a mess though. just weird plaplate strip scaffolding in there all over the place.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Built the SDBB Exia and gave it a mediocre-but-relaxing-to-do paintjob. Gundam markers are so nice when I just wanna do some lil color corrections and chill instead of making it into a whole Thing

Before markers:

After markers:

not perfect, but it looks good enough on the shelf with the rest of the SD Crew thus far

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

i built the HG GM Custom and it rules. this kit aged incredibly well, if it had an ab crunch it'd feel like a modern release instead of one from 2011.

and i used the EX Shine Silver gundam marker on the interior bit that the transparent visor snaps in over, which really worked out great

i just can't stop playing with this guy, and his joints all hold better than any other kit i've assembled. feels less like a model kit and more like an action figure, very sturdy and satisfying. you should get one.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

got a big ol package today

i gotta finish my current projects before tackling it, but that's gonna be my first PG and I'm super excited

also got some 3rd party 1/100 zaku-style hands for the MG 3.0 Monoeye Char Gundam custom I'm gonna be doing sometime soon, which is this guy:

who i uh, probably went a little overboard with during the concepting.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I finished my first big kitbash/repaint thing!

https://twitter.com/SleepySeaLily/status/1396529416369491975

My next paintjob will hopefully be a bit less messy looking, but I'm still really proud of the candycoat look on the red armor parts.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Got a GM/GM and finished it up yesterday. Really good kit! Wish it was easier to find, but maybe it'll get a big restock sometime.

can't see it in the pics, but since his shoulders sorta like, fold forward, out of the torso, to give this interesting forward articulation, leaving this weird like exposed-internal-machinery stuff visible from above or behind? but its just molded in red as part of the chest bits. painted that all gunmetal to kinda match the elbow and knee joints. i think the red-gold color i painted the yellow bits looks good with the red and white too.

here he is with his work friends

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

oh, yeah, I love the Origin Guncannon. modded his backpack to have three weapon mounting points instead of just one, so mine's a lil fancy.

unfortunately his head antennae have since broken off, but still looks cool

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

i built the Nobell Gundam! super cute and simple kit. tried out the pour type gundam markers for panel lining and i like them. also scribed some of the panel lines and interesting corners or curves a little deeper which had mixed, but mostly positive, results. i think as i do that more im getting better at it. next time i might try to add some entirely new panel lines to a kit.

i really like the beam ribbon, it's fun. its a shame this kit's so hard to find, but i'm glad I got it when it was available recently for the normal retail cost

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I built some more SDs, and I love them

The SDGG Zaku II, which genuinely is still really good despite being an SD kit from 2001

and the SDCS 2-pack of the RX-78-2 aaaand Char's Zaku II. this set includes CS frames for both of them, it rules

i think the SDCS kits might be my favorite line, out of like, all of the lines. they're so cute and fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I made a thing

https://twitter.com/SleepySeaLily/status/1408236850792304640

it was really fun, and a lot of work. i learned a lot that I can use next time I do a kitbash, though. and seeing the Deus Rex standing on my shelf feels good