Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
To add to the gently caress UK customs thing mentioned earlier, EMS from a shop (ie not marked as a gift) takes exactly as long to arrive as a SAL parcel, but with added fees for getting "rushed" through customs. I did EMS again recently because it was only £5 more than regular shipping and in the end all the fees and tax came out as an extra 60% of the worth of the goods. I wouldn't mind so much if they didn't tax the postage charge and just the value of the goods, I've already paid for it to go on a plane and be moved and you fuckers didn't have anything to do with that. If it's marked as a gift you'll generally get your EMS thing in 48-72 hours with no charges, I used to order stuff on ebay at like 1am Wednesday morning when I'd get paid and it would arrive on Friday.

Also it's only a backlog if you plan on building it! I think the alternative is "hoarding" though so maybe that's not so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
So what's good primer and top coats to go through an airbrush? Future is out cos I'm in the UK and it sucks. I heard Vallejo primer is good. This is probably mostly to runwiled (thank you for more project posts).

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Luminaflare posted:

I use Vallejo Model Air, the primer can go through without the need to thin, although I tend to thin it a little my self.

As for top coats I'd like to know my self, I managed to get a hold of the UK Future mix but I get results nothing like what's shown from the US stuff.

Nice, do you use Vallejo for all your stuff or just primer? Like I think panel lining acrylic over enamel is easy because you can just rubbing alcohol/wipe away acrylic over the enamel but the other way round is a little trickier. I had to be very careful with the gold trim on Sinanju which was acrylic gold with acrylic gloss clear and then black enamel on top, which I then lighter fluid rubbed very gently, but it ate all the way through on a couple of pieces and I had to redo. Gimme all your secrets.

I had the same thing with my bottle of Future, it's the milky stuff and just no good.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
That's very helpful, thanks a lot! You too Luminaflare!

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
The Master Gundam HG is really good and super poseable, sucks that the ball joint in the waist snapped on mine so I just have him supported in his cloaked pose while I wait for the RD.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

BlitzBlast posted:

Good news for UK goons: you have what looks to be a decent parts replacement service. I think it's available for anywhere, but shipping is probably going to really hurt.

They only accept MGs and RGs though.

I have had a lot of good experiences with this guy and his store, stuff arrives quick and is well priced. Not used the replacement service ever, but he's a nice guy and very communicative.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

MJP posted:

Dom pics

I love painting pics, looking good.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

BlitzBlast posted:

Looking at the manual, the Blue Frame D is literally something a kid would come up with.

no you see it's covered with swords because they all do different things

and they all combine together into one big sword that is also a gun incidentally this thing is practically CE 00Q

and it's not just a black aile striker it's a vouivre striker jeez

If you ignore the silly rear end sensor dragoons the head does look nicer now though.

It's beautiful. I wonder if you can take the head knives off. Dragoons are like funnels in SEED world right?

Edit: wait wait the head ones come off to help make the SWORD GUN? It's me, I'm the Astray guy.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

BlitzBlast posted:

Ever since Astray hit Destiny era it's been impossible to tell if it's ridiculously stupid or straight up parody.

"Put some drat clothes on before you get in the robot" "You made me this way" Astray owns. I love the sword pistols because they're so perfectly dumb. Someone went "I want swords on guns" and then some idiot worked out placing them so the handle on the gun is almost in the right position for where the sword handle would be and everyone in the office thought it was brilliant. Maybe it took so long they didn't have time to design the pilot suit for the lady and someone really wanted to get home in time for dinner so they suggested she just flies nude and that was good enough.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

The 0 Granzon Sword...

That Psyco Megas XLR is also lookin' good keep up the nice work everybody.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Agreed, if you admit you have a problem then you might stop building robots.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Monaghan posted:

I'm not even kidding when I say that buying an airbrush and compressor has saved me money in the long run. Painting a kit makes it so it takes a lot longer to finish, and I buy way less kits because of it.

Finishing kits has never been a barrier to buying more geez,

I just finished snap fitting and cleaning up HG GM Sniper II in prep for washing it and then having it be my first airbrush time. I went with the Neo for Iwata pistol grip gravity feed thing because I am awful at precision grip.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Robot Damashii God Gundam can sit on HG Fuun Saiki. This was probably obvious.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Wowee I just did my first airbrushing. I hadn't pushed the needle all the way in at first and I haven't got the hang of where the paint goes relative to my aiming yet and distance and all that stuff, but I'm low psi and having a good time. Primed all the dark blue bits of the GM Sniper II and only have to strip and redo 2 parts, the bit of the shield and part of the backpack because I hadn't secured them properly. I'll probably give everything another light coat when I redo them but it's a lot of fun I guess if you like spraying stuff all in the air! Cleaning was a breeze too, just have to be thorough.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
I once looked on the floor for several minutes for a part of a Grungust Type 3 convinced that the part had pinged onto the floor. 3 days later I found it sitting on the back of a chair 6 feet away, the trajectory must have been perfect for it to get wedged in the little bit it did.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Dangit my airbrush needle is bent and I ended up ruining 2 parts with too thick paint. Ordered a couple of replacement needles but I'm pretty sure I bent it reinserting after cleaning because the other option of it coming bent is unlikely. How do I get needle in hole?

That DX is actually gorgeous and I'm glad Garrod will finally be able to shoot straight.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
I'm using model air so I think the paint was fine. Maybe the paint is a little too thick because I think water seems to spray ok? I'll give 1:1 water a go tomorrow. It was getting messed up and getting stuck on the bent needle so I needed more pressure than I wanted and then bam hella paint on the part instead of nice thin layers building up. The needle is definitely bent though, when I was giving it a rub with a cotton bud it was getting "caught" on one side and I could feel it on my finger when i dragged the needle across it.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Ka0 posted:

Model air should be fine as it is but to be safe, I'd add some paint retarder. Vallejo sell their own brand but you can also try liquitex. If the paint dries on the way out the nozzle, there will be clogging. I toss in some thinner in between sprays just to make sure.
But honestly, model color is a thick mess. Model air on the other hand is pretty acqueous as it is. Everytime I bring up this topic on other boards some priviledged gently caress will make some cute remark on how tamiya acrylics are superior.

I'll give some retarder a go, thanks! I'm still inclined to blame the needle more than the paint, but if water is fine and super watery paint isn't then the drying on the way out could definitely be a thing.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
My delicate body pretty much necessitates acrylics only so I'm all Model Air all the time. I might have to try taking the front of the airbrush off and removing/replacing the needle from that direction so I don't mess it up again.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
For the rings on the Sinanju I wrapped tape around a kebab skewer until it was thick enough to hold them still so I could clean them up. Then I bought metal parts cos gently caress me.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

TaurusOxford posted:

I don't have it, but looking up reviews of it people seem to be impressed with it. Daban stated that they were using an improved method of casting so the quality is basically on par with Bandai's version, so you're not even really sacrificing quality for price.

It also comes with the diecast metal sword!

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
GODHAND nippers fuckin own. You'll scoff as you take them out of the lightning covered package and then you'll cut with them and feel like you just invented fire.

Basically:

Fauxtool posted:

if you ever get poor results with GODHAND, dont blame the tool. You simply lack the skill the wield GODHAND

It really does cut better than a $20 nipper, but not much better than a $35 one. What it does do is stay sharp for a long time and give consistent results

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
One step closer to the big powerloader suit.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Soul of Chogokin GaoGaiGar came and the drill tanks have working treads I'm crying.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Fauxtool posted:

you probably dont need a replacement needle, they dont go bad that often unless you are doing something wrong.
Get some ragdab oil and a bunch of disposable droppers.

Yeah it's real difficult to mess up a needle to the point you need a replacement. I bent the end of mine and rubbed it on some cardboard or whatever and it fixed it. I ordered 2 replacement needles for the future and they both came with the rubber protector having fallen off. The end of one was so bent I could hang it off my fingernail. I did the thing and fixed it though hell yeah.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

TaurusOxford posted:

I did it...I bought SOC GaoGaiGar. I couldn't resist. I won't even be able to see it until i'm done working in Spring, but I did it anyway...

It's a lot of fun. The transformation is incredibly show accurate even down to the train going too far and then rolling back (which pops out the torso to make it thicker). Posing the full thing sucks because of the bad arm proportions and the shoulder joints, but you can make a huge and heavy GaoGaiGar give you a thumbs up and I think it's easier to Hell and Heaven pose than the SRC. You're gonna love it.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Looks good all the same, nice work!

Suzaku posted:

I...suddenly want to do a The O up like Grimace....

Or a Ronald The O'Donalds.

It's basically already a chicken nugget.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
drat! I'm playing Z2 right now so that Brasta is perfectly timed. AND it ships to the UK hell yeah.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
If you live in a hard water area consider using distilled water in your airbrush so you don't fur it up!

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
You airbrushlers that use the Humbrol clear gloss stuff, what do you use to clean out the airbrush afterwards?

I'm thinking of doing a Hi-Mocktroid Samus Aran style, but I can't think of anything suitable for an arm cannon, any thoughts? A Turn X would be great, but I am 100% sure that doesn't exist. Yet.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
The shalldoll is excellent, thanks! I'm sure I can shorten that somehow or get it fitted at the elbow and if not who cares.

signalnoise posted:

I run Iwata-Medea airbrush cleaner through it

Cool, I was sure regular cleaner stuff would be fine but I wanted to make sure because I can't really do the "wait till sprays clear" thing I normally do.

Oh and just to make sure, for panel lining I do a coat of clear gloss and then do the really thin paint in grooves with a brush thing (mmm capillary action) and then clean up and do the matte coat if I'm into it?

What do I use to clean up any excess that won't chew up the gloss? I'll be using acrylics for the lines (and is under the Humbrol stuff)

EthanSteele fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jan 28, 2015

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

PoptartsNinja posted:

Please tell me you're going to use the Titus shoulders.

It's the second best use of them after a Madoka.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Feddies, please stop trying to shoot Doms in the dick.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Monaghan posted:

Oh man I've been wanting a shin getter forever, considering the only alternative were insanely priced and/or out of production resin kits.

It looks slightly better proportioned than the Super Robot Chogokin and it has a joint in the wings. The SRC is good if you can get it though!

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Gimme the fuckin goldymarg let me order it nowww.

My favourite part of SoC GaoGaiGar is pushing the train through, because you have to do it just like the show and go slightly too far which pushes the lever that widens the torso before springing back to the right position. The attention to detail and dedication of making it exactly like the animation is nuts.

muike posted:

They're garage resin kits of bimbo-upped versions of the lady robots from mazinger

Because I have an incredible memory for stupid poo poo I recognize the base resin kit they;re built on, polynian or something? They do a big tity resin kits of the lady robots from GGG too.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

TaurusOxford posted:

Soul of Chogokin Goldymarg - 19440 yen

http://imgur.com/HooiOg6

That's an impressive sculpt for a mech that required a bit of anime magic for his three modes to work.

Yes. This is good and I need it.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
I Dettol Tamiya paint all the time. I pour some in a plastic takeaway tray with a drop of water, put the stuff in and put a lid on top for 24 hours and its good to go.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

DigitalRaven posted:

Dalong's review of the S-Gundam Booster Type has something that I didn't notice before.

That beam smartgun has a bipod. The S-Gundam is designed for space use. The Booster Type doesn't even have legs. What the gently caress is it going to rest on?

Why am I suddenly obsessed with this one tiny bit of nonsensical Gundam physics as opposed to all the rest? :confused:

Presumably they wouldn't just make a whole new gun for the legless version so it's probably just the same one from the legged one which would in theory sometimes want to rest a gun on a thing maybe.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Is it magic bullshit like you can just pour it neat into your airbrush and it'll turn out ok and you can dip clear bits in and it'll self level and it's definitely dark sorcery?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Yeah! There's also a possessed mode Cybuster kit, but I'd have to measure the 1/144 one to know if it's non scale or not. It's 20cm to the head which sounds about right, but I'm not sure.