Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

I seem to recall asking about your 1/100 V2A and V2B last time. Or did I PM midjack?

I'd wave my backlog dick, but I'm actually starting to work through it now.

I don't think it was me - I've never had either of those.

I'll spare the hoarders reject pix this thread and just say that Bimmi is the only one who will admit to surpassing my stockpile on this board.

If any of you guys are having a tough time finding a particular kit, PM me or post here before getting scalped on ebay or something. I've sold a few to people who were in need and am thinking that's not a bad way to free up space and help someone else have fun too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ahahaha the gun is longer than the MG Ex-S box. Even I have to say no sometimes.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Because I'm fairly new, I looked up the actual yen price for kits, to see how big the markup actually is, for being outside Japan.

It was a bad move because I just bummed myself out.

Anyway, rather than paying for expedited delivery, I'm now staggering purchases, so I get one a week, while the previous one is shipping.

This is how backlogs start, isn't it.

A thing to remember is that, except for limited kits, they never really leave production entirely with Bandai. They may not make any of a certain kit for a year or so but it will be back someday. It's not like you'll never see it again. So if you're buying exclusives, then keep on, but otherwise try to get only what you'll build on the next month or two.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Bimmi posted:

So, my advice would be "buy what you want when you can and backlogs be damned" unless you're comfortable with the idea of possibly waiting several years for your next shot at it.

I hear what you're saying and don't entirely disagree but that line of thinking is how I ended up with 300 kits filling what was supposed to be a guest bedroom in five years. If you're actually building at the same speed you acquire then good, but be ready to put the brakes on if you start slowing your build rate.

I could probably stop now and die before clearing my backlog unless I significantly speed up.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

mr. stefan posted:

so at what point does the Gold Frame stop technically being an Astray Gundam from all the replaced parts anyway

When it loses the v-fin. :v:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

AstraLunaSol posted:

On another note, is it usual for HLJ to not protect the contents of the box with stuff like paper? Because my Rouge just had its box and nothing else.

About 1 in every 3 I get from them it's just loose in the box. :effort:

SAL to the east coast of the US is about 7-10 days with no damage in about 20 shipments to me.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Revitalized posted:

So I see there's the "Robot Damashii, The Robot Spirits" line of figures. What about Fix Figuration? Which one tends to have better quality?

My experience with GFF is that they are more detailed but not as poseable. The GFF SERIES also has a bunch of things we'll never see in RD.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Zwingley posted:

Is the Extra Finish line even remotely worth bothering with? They look pretty neat, but the markup is pretty drat steep, and I can imagine hiding nubs/sanding marks is a right pain in the rear end.

Basically, please talk me out of preordering the RG Exia Extra Finish from Genteikits.

e: some pictures Dalong has up of them make the nubs very prominent in comparison to their normal counterparts.

Never. Nubs (and often seams) are prominent and unfixable because Bandai never redesigns the runners to undergate them (except I think the 1/100 NG Akatsuki). I built the Strike Freedom MG Extra Finish a couple of years ago and that's the last one I pay for - I have a couple other Extra Finish kits in my inventory but will probably just give them away.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

Oh neat,

RD God Gundam (on the right) is almost exactly 1/144 scale. Hell the only difference is due to a redesign, so it basically is. The rest of the RDs should also be close, so this is the closest we'll ever get to the HGFC line we all dream of.

poo poo, how did I go from buying model kits to buying action figures

If you enjoy having a small representation of the thing more than you enjoy assembling the small representation of the thing, it's a pretty natural shortcut.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Gammatron 64 posted:

Well, I am a dumb mother fucker.

Instead of clear green... I now have clear black.

Yes, I know I just sprayed the runner. I'm lazy and I figured I could paint over any nubs that are exposed.

Soooo... now I'm gonna have to strip all of this off and do silver + clear green like I should have in the first place.

Uh... any suggestions for taking off testor's enamel on an entire loving runner?

If it's any consolation, I only got the kid for half price :smithicide:

Just so we know, this is the result of clear green over the pink runners, right?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Hello old friend.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Literally The Worst posted:

Anyone with a closet full of backlog can suck my nuts. At least I've assembled everything I've bought.

You know, I was kind of on your side right up until this. :colbert:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I just spent like a solid half hour, minimum, assembling MG Unicorn's waist. This kit is DOPE.

Note pieces I2 and I8 (the very first thing in the instructions) have two distinct positions in their joint. This one joint is the source of a lot of the waist complaints in Destroy mode.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

signalnoise posted:

I still don't "get" building a gundam in one day

I just built the MG GM Quel in my hotel room yesterday to enter and lose a contest today. :colbert:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

AstraLunaSol posted:

Since everyone was talking about MG's for a bit, I'll show what I've been working on.

After building so many HG's, I forgot how sturdy MG's are. And a MG Qan[t] is on the way, that's gonna be fun.
Getting the Rouge's cockpit to open is rear end, though.

The backpack on that thing is insane. The sword is pretty cool though.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Luminaflare posted:

I thought you just laid down a base coat of black enamel and sprayed a translucent colour on top of it?

You can but it won't look anywhere near that good.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

We have RE Nightingale, getting RE Shamblo. Can RE Rafflesia be far behind, if RE is the "giant red mobile armor" line?

EDIT: I read poorly.

Midjack fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Nov 21, 2014

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TaurusOxford posted:

I want to know this too, cause GundamGuy has nothing even remotely implying a RE 1/100 Shamblo got announced.

Wait, poo poo. I read it wrong. Sorry guys. :(

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Here's a PDF that's pretty much "Everything I Ever Wanted to Know About Building Models, and Then Some More":

http://funakatown.com/2014/11/download-my-massive-how-to-build-gunpla-guide/

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

And ruin the LED set-up?

There's going to be a P-Bandai PG Awakened Unicorn anyways.

There's no way they won't make every HG and MG variant we've seen so far again in PG.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Swagger Dagger posted:

I feel dumb because I thought the Powered Arms Powereder and the Amazing Booster were extra parts for the kits that had them in the show (GM Cardigan and Amazing Zaku) and not just duplicates of the uniquish stuff they have, and now I've got a few extra parts for the Cardigan and a bunch of ugly rear end poo poo I'll never use because I'm not going to bolt High-Mobility Zaku legs onto another kits' shoulders.
Spoiler that midseason upgrade poo poo, man. :v:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Zedd posted:

I use one of those big plastic binders for all the manuals, I cut up the boxes and store them together in a (nice) pile.
I put spare parts, weapons, etc in ziplock bags, generic stuff like polycaps together and non-displayed modelkits inside shoe boxes with bubble-wrap I had lying around to protect them. I fit like 2-3 1/100 in a shoebox.

This works pretty well. You can also flatten the boxes if you want to keep them entirely and have them take up less space.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

An Angry Bug posted:

After building a few of the HG kits, I feel like trying something more complicated. What are some good first MG kits that don't look like a Generic Protagonist Gundam?

Jesta, Zaku 2.0, Buster, Heavyarms, Tallgeese. Dom or Rick Dom if you can find them.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Monaghan posted:

it's a drat shame because I think the regular freedom is a great design and I would definitely buy a pg version of it.

I kind of expected one based on the Strike Freedom - maybe the SF didn't sell well enough.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

An Angry Bug posted:

Working on MG Zaku. How the gently caress does one model have so many stickers? :psyduck:

Build any ver. Ka or HG Sinanju and find out.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Monaghan posted:

Man the nightingale must not be selling well.

which is good because that design is crap.

Never underestimate the appeal of the dongthruster.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ka0 posted:

I'm scared of trying lacquers after finishing up with acrylics. I wonder if the strong dilutions will wear away the 0 ring seal on the front of the airbrush.

If they do, replacements are cheap!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

Working for the TITANS

Destroying Hong Kong from afar!

You gotta find first gear

In the PSYCO XLR!

You dig giant robots!
I dig giant robots!
We dig giant robots!
Chicks dig giant robots!

NICE!!

Owns

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Wibbleman posted:

Just looking at the build reviews for the Montero and the Ghennam, why does bandai do such obnoxious stickers on some kits. The rear of the feet of the ghennam have a huge sticker that could have easily been another part, and the montero just has lots of odd shaped stickers for the shoulders (so you need to paint it for it to look any good). I ended up having to paint the front section of the waist on my G-Arcane as the stickers looked crap there as well.

Cost. It's much cheaper to mold a single part and give you some stickers than it is to make a mold to cast 3 or 4 smaller parts.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Swagger Dagger posted:

Thin your paints more, multiple thin coats will look better and show fewer strokes.

I've been handpainting some Tamiya acrylics recently and found a paint to thinner ratio 6 paint to 4 thinner was a good starting point. You will need several coats to cover the plastic.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Get a pair of itty bitty tweezers, they make decal work a breeze. You can get them online for like ten bucks. Monoeyes, regular eyes, scopes, the gold poo poo on the Sinanju, all easier thanks to tiny tweezers.

You can probably find some in the cosmetics section of the grocery store or drugstore for less than that; I have some Revlon and Mary Kay branded tweezers that are great for decals.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Mecha Gojira posted:

Oh, wow, the 1/144 Victory kits are cheap. I think I could get over the 25 year old engineering for $4 a kit. They would make for great practice fodder.

Depends on what you want to practice. :v:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Nope forget it, I misread the question.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sharkopath posted:

The second they announce an mg hygogg or capule is the second I get an airbrush and compressor and nobody sees me ever again.

I am kind of surprised that the Capule hasn't seen any release at all since the NG one so long ago. Same with the Leo, though they finally relented with the RD a couple of years back.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ScottyWired posted:

Installing a new CPU cooler, lost one of the plastic bits that attaches the fan to the heatsink. "Gee, what's something of similar size and rubbery-ness?"

Gundam to the rescue!

Char's Custom overclock, three times the bus speed.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

madpanda posted:

My Newtype resolution this year is to continue learning hand painting and topcoating.

Speaking of, how cold does it have to be before I worry about spraycans having issues? 31f in Chicago right now which isn't that cold.
You're usually OK at around 50. Much lower than that and you can see real problems when the paint freezes while in the air between the can and the surface. You will also have worse than usual problems with the can itself freezing up because of the pressure drop. Be sure to have a bucket of hot water to plop the can in after a couple of minutes of spraying. You might luck out depending on the exact formulation of paint, relative humidity, etc but try it on some scrap first. I personally wouldn't even try but ymmv.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

Just realised that some parts need to be poly-cemented around other parts, which is going to get in the way of painting. For example, the arm has two pieces of shoulder which connect through the top of the arm, and there's the eyes, which are a purple piece of plastic inside the two halves of the head. Am I just going to have to do two batches of painting, before and after glueing?

Think I'm going to start on Exia Dark Matter or Rozen Zulu tonight. Both look excellent.

Rozen Zulu has a hilarious amount of stickers, if you hadn't heard already.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

YamataNoOrochi posted:

(also, no actual printed assembly guide, instead it's got a DVD of 3D-renders being assembled).

:pwn:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

lilljonas posted:

Is there any sort of market for built and painted stuff? As in, if I don't have space for a bunch of Gundams but I end up enjoying building them, can you normally recoup the cost of the kit and materials by selling the finished build?
Not much of one. People who just want one to look at usually buy a Robot Damashii or some similar toy, part of the fun of models is the building. You can try eBay but don't expect much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Triggerhappypilot posted:

Well, well, well, look what I found tucked away in some forgotten corner of my local comic story. A regular Astray.

Not a red frame. Not a blue frame. Not a Sengoku. Not even a Gold Frame. A regular goddamn Astray.

I didn't even know they still made these.

The HG Astray was a new mold released a couple of years ago as part of the HD SEED promotion. The old NG 1/144 is still around too; this one is way better.