Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

If anyone hadn't heard, apparently Bandai underestimated demand for the PG Unicorn (how they could do that I don't know) and shipped less than distributors had ordered. The second wave will ship in April. If you haven't already gotten a notification that your order is shipping, or were waiting to order one, you will probably have to wait a couple of months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Anonymous Robot posted:

New real grade prototypes are looking great

I have one of those little guys on my desk too! :3:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Zedd posted:

The only ones that might stand a chance:
Unicorn variants (because duh)
Sinanju (Unicorn hypetrain and popular)
Nu Gundam (Iconic MS)
GM (I doubt they will ever want to 2.0 a PG 78-2 and this is a solid choice)

After that it gets even more shaky IMO. Either something from SEED/D (Very popular), Exia/00Q (reusable frame) or the gundams without a lot of high engineering gimmicks (Ground Gundam, God Gundam, AGE1, etc) and ofcourse should the shows be popular enough <currently airing show here>

I'm still surprised they haven't done PG Freedom yet.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Anyway, I've finally cracked and I'm trying to hunt down an afforable MG The O. It's not going well :smith:

Seriously considering MG Ball now too though.
If you can't find The O PM me, I have one untouched in the box.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I wish I had checked this thread first, because I just bought a HG The O, because I couldn't find MG at an affordable price :smith:

At least, due to it's massiveness, it's practically the size of a normal MG.

The HG is supposed to be better anyway, so you did OK.

For anyone though - if there's something you're having a tough time finding check with me before you pay a crazy price on ebay or something. I have a giant hoard, and though I'm not actively trying to liquidate it I'm open to selling kits to people who will actually, you know, BUILD them.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

If that's the case, you got MG GP01 Fb or GP02A?

I have an MG GP01 Fb with the shiny metal finish. No GP02.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's an RG. Super-fiddly parts are the kit line's bread-and-butter :v:. Just take your time and build it on something low to the floor rather than at your desk. Some of those pieces can ping off into the ether like you wouldn't believe.

You can also put the sprues in a large (1 or 2 gallon) ziplock bag and do your cutting inside the bag. Parts will only have one way to escape, which will be nicely blocked by your chest.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

muike posted:

Does anyone know of a good guide or just write-up on kitbashing stuff, it's cool to read about and I might as well learn some techniques that people use

Poke around in science fiction and military model forums. A lot of the same techniques apply. If you can read Japanese or Chinese go trawl some forums in those languages - there is a huge corpus of mecha-specific knowledge in Japanese that you could apply with no thought, but the fundamental ideas are available in English and ready to be adapted.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

A P95 rated respirator cartridge will filter 95% of airborne particles bigger than some size (1 micron I think) and is oil-proof (will not degrade when exposed to petroleum vapors). I suggest you get a P100 + organic vapor cartridge for that mask (3M part 60921) which as a bonus will also filter out farts.

When you put the mask on check that you have a good fit by covering the intakes with your hands and breathing in (you shouldn't feel any air coming in through the seal around your mouth) and then cover the exhaust and breathe out gently (again, no air should escape the seal around your mouth and nose). I have a big nose and sometimes have to fuss with masks to get them to seal on exhaust.

EDIT: looking closer at the description, that says it has organic vapor cartridges and a separate particle filter that straps on over them. You are probably OK out of the box with that mask but you can get 1-piece replacement cartridges that do both.

Midjack fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jan 14, 2015

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TheManSeries posted:

So my macross kit was missing these small metal rods used for folding effects. Anywhere I can get replacements?

If it's just a straight rod go to a hobby or art store and get some rod stock of the appropriate diameter.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ka0 posted:

What is a good place to buy vintage 1980's gunpla like Zaku IIs or a RX-78-2?

Find an established mom and pop hobby store that never marks anything down. You'd be astonished at what you can find gathering dust.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

muike posted:

Was thinking about getting the master gundam HG to use the torso in a kitbash but the mold on it is way less dynamic on basically every other master gundam thing out there

speaking of, please let me know if you can think of any kits with knives aside from the grimoire and gm sniper k9

Destiny has the shoulder dagger things.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ka0 posted:

Reiji's Beginning G, Lady's Zero gundam, the turn-A from the guy at the fashion race and Aila's own BB Command gundam. Now I'm going to try and locate a Talgeese to paint it in Logan Greco's colors.

The 1/144 Tallgeese is one of the 20-year old molds, be ready for that.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ka0 posted:

How likely is it Bandai releasing a newer version under HGAC. We got the Wing and the Wing Zero already.

If we'd gotten more than those two I'd be optimistic but we haven't. I'd say probably not.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

Airbrushed some spoons with 2 colors today, great tip you guys. Need a poo poo ton more practice, but I can save the best spoon per color as a reminder of how the paint looks. There was like a small color in the airbrush paint thing that no amount of thinner on the rag I could wipe it out, is that normal?

You may have to disassemble and soak for an hour or two to loosen up everything but yeah, it seems like no matter what I do I can always find something dirty in there no matter how I soak and scrub.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Nice! The blacklight really helps the psycoframe.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Bimmi posted:

Can't decide if the psyco-frame funnels are ridiculous or awesome. Where are those from, anyway?

They look like the BTF aftermarket parts.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Swagger Dagger posted:

I don't want to totally derail the general Gundam thread so I'll ask here, is there really no good ZZ model? I see there are a couple MGs , are they not worth the cash?

The MGs are oooold and baaaad. I haven't done one personally but one of my modeling buddies has been working on one for a while and is not at all happy with it. The HGUC is fairly new and looks many mucho times better.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

An Angry Bug posted:

Also, heads up to anyone in Austin, the Barnes and Noble had a ton of kits in stock. HG, MG, RG, plus these weird tiny rubbery kits in little boxes.

The little boxes were probably Converge, Assault Kingdom, or Standart. They're small prepainted figures. Converge is SD, Assault Kingdom is articulated, and Standart is more detailed than AK but not articulated. Minor assembly is required but it's nothing more than tab A into slot B.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ka0 posted:

Is there gunpla that comes in a snack bag? A friend asked me about "speed grade" kits.

Yeah, they're super low effort all around. The Wing, Zeta, and RX-78 were the only ones in that line, I think. If you want something to poke out and put together in 30 minutes they're OK. If you enjoy the building part of the hobby at all then get an HG. The AGE FG kits come in a box but are the same thing, I believe.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

JoeGlassJAw posted:

Is there a consensus here on what spray can top coat is the best? Airbrush is not an option for me. I recently got back into the hobby and the best thing I could find at hobby shops in the area was Testors Dullcote. It wasn't bad, honestly, but it looks a little splotchy if you get up really close. I think I remember hearing there are some laws preventing Japanese brands of aerosol sprays from being imported to the states?

It was kind of tough to get your hands on Gunze stuff for a while in the US but it seems to be back in widespread supply now.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

MG Leo and Capule will be the last release when Bandai goes bankrupt. They are waiting for the technology to reach its apex.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

Was there ever a 1/144 GN-XIV conversion kit? I've found pictures but can't seem to find it on sale.

I see the resin conversion kits on ebay every once in a while but I've never seen a plastic one.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

After a year and a half, I finally completed the MG Unicorn ver Ka. This was my second time airbrushing and my first time using waterslide decals in over 20 years. I had to hand brush some parts that I couldn't disassemble, and when I build one of the 5(!) other Unicorn variants in my inventory I'll remember those bits.

It's presently on display at a convention where we're running a semi unofficial contest (I made the push to complete it so there would be more stuff on the table) but I can throw up some pix later if it's of interest.

So Diana, wherever you are, I brought you a Unicorn. :smith:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TARDISman posted:

Overall the Wing MGs are pretty high quality stuff. You can't go wrong with any of them.

The MG Wing Zero EW predates the others by several years and it shows.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I'm talking about just MG Wing EW. The updated version of Wing Ver Ka. Not Wing Zero. Came out in early 2011 alongside the Deathscythe H, Shenlong and Sandrock.

Yes I know, and I agree with what you are saying. As TARDISman says below I wanted to explicitly call out the Zero Custom as not being part of that same bunch in case someone drew the inference "well this is a Wing MG, so it must be good like all the rest, right?"

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Broken Loose posted:

It's literally just a repaint. Nothing was actually changed about the model.

The ver EW has a different piece to connect to an Action Base, but other than that it's a recolored ver Ka.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Bendigeidfran posted:

Hey so I just got the HG Turn A Gundam at a con, and basically it's my first gunpla project. Do you guys have any recommendations on glue or beginner mistakes to avoid? And can anyone who's done the HG Turn A tell me if there's anything specific I should keep in mind? Thanks in advance!

If you don't already have then, get a set of nippers (small set of cutters with a flat edge); this is the single most important tool you can have.
Don't clip out parts until you need them.
Don't force parts unless you've triple checked that it's the correct parts in the correct orientation; they typically go together pretty smoothly.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The Muffinlord posted:

Okay, good to know. I gotta get that, and some of those alligator clippy guys on the sticks, and a couple foam blocks, and I'll be set. Now if it can just stay above freezing for a few days...

You can buy alligator clips from an electronics supply house (or raid a Radio Shack that's going out of business) and glue/putty them to shishkebab skewers for cheap clips.

edit

Suzaku posted:

For alligator clips on sticks, you can get a big ol' pack of alligator clips for cheap from online or an electronics store and some wooden barbecue sticks in bags of 100 for around $1 from pretty much any grocery. Wrap some electrical tape around the non-pointy end of the stick so that the alligator clip slots in nicely, and boom--cheap clip sticks. I trim my sticks down so they're not as long, and the pieces I trim off also double as really great stirring sticks.

:hfive:

Midjack fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Feb 17, 2015

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

It is literally never worth it to pick up batteries at a brick and mortar store. That stuff is beyond overpriced.

Well, they're worth it if you need a battery RIGHT NOW, which Amazon can't ever compete with unless you live in Manhattan.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TARDISman posted:

I really want a Rick Dom if only for that beautiful beautiful bazooka.

Make me an offer!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

Why don't you build your kits in space?

EDIT: Now that I'm looking, the MG BF manuals actually have a poo poo ton more information than most other modern MGs. Weird.

The show's first season is about the love of models, it's kind of fitting that it goes both ways.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Definitely go for the HG, because it has one accessory that makes it totally worth it. :kheldragar:

If you go for that immediately it comes with the HG GP03.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Yes.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Bimmi posted:

I don't buy a lot, but I don't want to see the MG line wither on the vine either and that sort of seems to be happening.

I'm sure the RG line is selling well enough, but there's no way something that takes almost as much engineering effort as an MG but sells for considerably less is raking in the cheddar.

I'm pretty sure production costs totally overwhelm engineering cost, and any 1/144 that doesn't come in a suitcase is cheaper to produce and ship than an MG. RG is probably comparable if not better profit than MG for Bandai.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TARDISman posted:

Drop Bearguy into HGUC Neo-Zeong. Bearguy becomes the vessel for the will of all spacenoids. Baby Bearguy yells "BUT EVEN SO!" and the Neo-Zeong explodes into a cloud of cotton

Don't post spoilers for the Build Fighters OVA, thanks.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

MG Ball is absolutely amazing. If you can find it, at least; it doesn't get reissued often.

If you're looking for a MG to start with, you should pick MG Gundam X. Because I said so.

Someone posted a ball for sale in samart, they mentioned it in this thread last week.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Speaking of biting the bullet:

RG Zeta ordered. It was bound to happen. I thoroughly expect to hate myself by the end, if the rumours are true.

(e): Found online: THE HIGHBALL.

Oh my god yes

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

I don't remember where I read to mix Tamiya acrylics with thinner at a 50/50 ratio. Using a 66/33 ratio the paint goes on so much smoother and doesn't pool as easy. I take it that since the paint is thicker it is the reason?

Hand brushing or airbrush? "Consistency of milk" is the rule of thumb for airbrush and it's a good starting point for hand brushing too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Midjack posted:

After a year and a half, I finally completed the MG Unicorn ver Ka. This was my second time airbrushing and my first time using waterslide decals in over 20 years. I had to hand brush some parts that I couldn't disassemble, and when I build one of the 5(!) other Unicorn variants in my inventory I'll remember those bits.

It's presently on display at a convention where we're running a semi unofficial contest (I made the push to complete it so there would be more stuff on the table) but I can throw up some pix later if it's of interest.

So Diana, wherever you are, I brought you a Unicorn. :smith:

Never did upload those pictures:

The pile of sticks in the fume hood are all the skewers and alligator clips I used to hold the parts while I was painting them. I bought out several Radio Shacks' worth of gator clips, and will probably never have to buy any ever again.