Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Enough posting unbuilt kits and post built kits!

What about partially built kits?

Kitbashigor Hell Custom's about 85% done. I still have some major touch-ups to do, and the Dragon Fangs are nowhere near done. I'm praying I can duplicate the work I've done on this left one--I made a mold of the Abigor's central eye so when it's done both Dragon Fangs are getting three Zanscare bug eyes too.

If it comes out looking OK.

If it doesn't, I get to carefully chip-away green stuff to revert them to their natural state. :smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Bimmi posted:

It is a goddamn tragedy about those blinding green, non-black-backed interior bits though.

Yeah, I fixed that. The knees were one area I didn't think to touch since they're covered so thoroughly by the 'standing straight' pose. The green was made really obvious by my camera's flash but it wasn't too difficult to get a long brush loaded with black paint in the joint. The Abigor's got pretty fat legs.

I didn't get much done today, but I got a good start on one of the Dragon's Fangs.

I still have some major touch-ups to do but I think it came out alright!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Not yet topcoated (I'm thinking about going high-gloss, what's wrong with me?!) but the Abigor is pretty well finished aside from a few minor touch-ups here and there.

It won't fit on a modern stand, but the one it came with is... semi-adequate? It's not very well articulated, so it's not a kit that lends itself to fancy poses.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Darth Walrus posted:

Are there actually any good, solid transformable kits, or does 'transformable' automatically equal 'floppy, fragile piece of crap'?

I really hope the first legitimate response to this is "Psyco Gundam."

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Irisize posted:

Can you, like, build the thing by heart by now?

I'm now envisioning one of those scenes where the gun-nut character can put a weapon together blindfolded, only substituting a Gundam X for the gun.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Dra-C?

Scratchbuild (or 3d print) a 1/144 Adzam? (I kid!)

Zaku-cannon? (Looks like those are 1/100 only)

Kampfer? (I highly recommend a Kampfer--it's got so many great accessories!)

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Do you require an airbrush to pull off a finish like this?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Fauxtool posted:

freedom with meteor pack is better :smuggo:

What is the X for? Is it a capacitor of some sort or cooling fins?

It's a microwave receiver. The Satellite Cannon is a giant microwave laser. The moon base sends the X power, because a mobile suit alone can't power the Satellite Cannon.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

MJP posted:

So I finally finished Metal Gear Rex!

I'm pretty sure that the figures are going to end up in the hall of shame part of Traditional Games but for my first time out, I'm satisfied.

The figures look fine, and everything else looks great (I don't even spot that nub you're talking about, but I admit I don't know where to look)!

One of the tricks I like for painting little plastic men is that, even if your hands shake, your hands tend to shake the same way. If you hold the figure in one hand and paint with the other while resting your forearms on your chest (keep your hands as close to your body as you can), the movement of your chest will tend to equalize the movement of your hands, so even though you're a bit shaky your hands will both be moving the same way. That lets you paint very steadily even with shaky fingers (like mine! :D ).

You just need to wear a shirt you don't mind accidentally getting a little paint on.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Droyer posted:

Convert one into Unicorn Gundam X.

Don't give him ideas!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Blue Frame D 00Q-FX Burst may have to be my next horrible kitbash. Gundam All the Swords, with such amazing potential poses as: "the T Pose" and "the T Pose but on a stand"

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Uznare posted:

HGUC Neo Zeong. Or Dendrobium. Whichever plastic atrocity you prefer. Way better investments than wobbly PGs.

Get the 1/500 Neue Ziel and see if you can fit it into the Neo Zeong to make a Neue Zeong?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
My Psyco Gundam arrived! I wasn't expecting it to have a partial inner frame, but the setup is pretty nifty. Near as I can tell, the only partsforming it does is with the shield.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Day one of the Psyco Gundam Project is over. Status?

Nice.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I am.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Psyco Gundam Day 2:

I didn't get as much done as I'd hoped today, but I am in love with this kit. I mostly did assembly today and didn't get as much painting done as I would've hoped. The head required a lot of attention even though it's pretty simple: the faceplate opens up to reveal the inner door (the hinge is on the chin, it's pretty neat!) and the V-fin folds up to let the head drop down for the transformation to Fortress Mode (the Psyco Gundam isn't a partsformer, you don't have to take the head off to transform it). The transformation frames in the legs are pretty nice and lock together pretty securely, so I can't wait to see the final transformation.

The hands are also really nice, the Psyco's big enough that they've got moving joints. They're a bit of a pain to assemble though: the joints where they attach to the hand are very tight, so the fingers tend to pop out until you can get the backplate put on. The first one gave me a little trouble but the second wasn't as bad so I might've just had a tight fit.

Even with just the legs and part of the hip assembled, the Psyco's as tall as the Abigor on its stand, and the Abigor's about twice the height of my other HGs.

I'm going to need a bigger shelf.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Dec 5, 2014

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I'm hunting for one. N-Scale should do the trick, but I haven't found one I like that isn't made of pewter. Worse comes to worse, I'll try sculpting one with two-part putty.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Ka0 posted:

Would a micro machines red caddie work

Yeah, it really would.

The closest thing I could find for a reasonable price was the pink one from this set I've been waffling on ordering for the past couple days. Or some pewter sports cars from a model train bit supplier, but I hate working with pewter and that option's twice the price.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Psyco Gundam Status Report: Day 5

It's getting closer! Still some major touch-ups to do.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I think this'll work juuust fine (after I paint it).

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

PoptartsNinja posted:

I think this'll work juuust fine (after I paint it).

Yeah. I'm satisfied with this. The scale is just about perfect.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Dec 11, 2014

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Psyco XLR project Day, uh... I forget?

I still have to do the shoulders, back, and etc. but it's really starting to come together now.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Working for the TITANS

Destroying Hong Kong from afar!

You gotta find first gear

In the PSYCO XLR!

You dig giant robots!
I dig giant robots!
We dig giant robots!
Chicks dig giant robots!

NICE!!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I layered it from yellow at the core (over a white base, it's OK if some of the white shines through in the deepest parts!) and wet-blended it with orange (painted orange on very carefully while the last coat of yellow was still wet and making sure not to touch any of the deepest parts), did the same with red, and then did a final coat of black (making sure to keep the edges where the black and red touch as rough as possible to try to give it a bit of a fake heat-shimmer).

Then I went in and very, very carefully highlighted the raised bits and the end of the central thruster thingy with the darkest black I've got to make the rest pop.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I would buy the hell out of a FLAT. :colbert:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Hey, Gunpla Goons. I was just putting together my Gafran--an AGE kit, yes, I'm a monster (I like robots and dragons and robot dragons, ok?! Sheesh). I'm painting it dragon-y colors, reds and oranges mostly, and I noticed something while I was doing it. Something that kinda creeped me out the moment I realized what I was actually doing.

The Gafran, that fat chunky nerd of a mobile suit with a helmet that looks like Emily the Strange's hair and a big poofy dress?

Is secretly an EVA!

(seriously, the lower jaw thing even 'opens' a bit wider to show more teeth)

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Gafran WIP update:

Yup. That's still an Eva.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
So, for some personal reasons I needed something mindless to do today. So I pretty well finished my Zaku Cannon in a frumpy dress Gafran. The legs, wings, and tail need some touch-ups and haven't been varnished yet, but they're pretty well done. Sadly, the feet are tiny and narrow so it's pretty unstable in Mobile Suit Mode (unless you use the tail-cannon to tripod it).

The Gafran has a terrible secret though. When frightened, the legs grow an extra knee and it turns into a winged golden retriever! (I really like this transformation).

Of course, I also think it looks best when it's only half-transformed. It's still pretty much an EVA.

It's a really neat kit overall (but I'll probably keep it in Dog or Eva mode since its normal mobile suit mode looks kinda bad), and the legs are extremely flexible. If it had bigger feet it'd be very pose-able, but it's sadly limited by its own design so if you want something dynamic you probably want it to be on a stand. I also highly suggest painting it since the Gafran's original colors are hot garbage. Because designing a group of monstrous mobile suits that are flashy and eye-catching and giving them the most drab, boring colors possible was a great idea!

It's very well designed though, there's very little rubbing at the joints so even with five+ layers of paint it doesn't seem likely to rub off.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

The Dregs posted:

The robots actually look like awesome toys for an older kid. He is pretty excited to play with the Kampfer. Cheaper and cooler than Legos, IMO.

Gundam AGE-1 is also a really solid kid-friendly kit. It's very flexible, it can pull off all sorts of cool poses, and it's very stable. If he wants a little more bulk the Gundam AGE-1 Titus is basically a robot pro-wrestler (but it's a bit less flexible).

Just don't actually watch Gundam AGE. Whether you like Anime or not the show itself is hot garbage, the kits from the show were just really well-designed.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Kibner posted:

Thanks!

Oh my, the voices! :swoon:

Just wait until you get to Nemesis Prime, who speaks entirely in Bayformers Optimus Prime quotes :allears:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The Gafran's finally cleaned up enough to join my collection. It's the third-tallest suit in the lot (at least until I finish my Danazine), and it isn't much shorter than the Abigor.

Even crouching down it's taller than the Kampfer.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Kibner posted:

What suit is that in the bottom right with the Alibaba style shoes?

Well, since I used most of the cool Deathscythe Hell Custom / Nataku parts on the Abigor, I turned the rest of them into a grunt suit. It's mostly Nataku with Deathscythe's lower arms and feet, and the Deathscythe head with the v-fin trimmed off.

And a really terrible and quickly-done paint. I was using it as a test paint to see how light colors work over black panel lines (result: not well, without a darker foundation). Ultimately decided that color combo was too ugly to use on a real suit, but I learned quite a bit.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

EthanSteele posted:

I'm thinking of doing a Hi-Mocktroid Samus Aran style, but I can't think of anything suitable for an arm cannon, any thoughts? A Turn X would be great, but I am 100% sure that doesn't exist. Yet.

Heavily convert one of the Gerbera Tetra's fuel tanks?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

TARDISman posted:

Shaldoll Rogue from AGE has an arm cannon. It's what I'm planning on using it for my inevitable Shaldoll Aran vs. Ridleyzine project.

Please tell me you're going to use the Titus shoulders.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The Shenlong in the related links is also magic.

Edit: Finished my Danazine.

I wish it was a little more flexible (or that they'd given it bigger feet, it's unstable as hell unless you use the tail to tripod it). The joint that attaches to the head is extendable and adds a bit of movement, but it also makes the head really difficult to mount.

I was expecting to like this more than the Gafran, but the Gafran really grew on me.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Feb 4, 2015

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
My Gerbera Tetra is finally far enough along to show off. Still WIP, but most of the work is done. She's sporting the same color pattern as my Kampfer.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Finished my Gerbera Tetra. I don't think I quite got the future mix right, she came out a little too glossy

It's alright though, she matches her "big brother," who's also quite glossy.

And everything I finished. One of these days I'm going to finish that Build Burning.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I just finished my Grimore. It's cute!

It's going in the grunt collective with the others!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

muike posted:

it should only have one red shoulder...

What?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Mecha Gojira posted:

It should only have one Red Shoulder.

Though, it should really be on the right shoulder, and a deeper shade of red. Like the color of blood...

Huh.

boom boom boom posted:

You accidentally painted a Grimoire in Red Shoulder Battalion colors?

I've never seen Votoms. I was just going shooting for "vaguely Russian" :shobon: