Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

END ME SCOOB posted:

You son of a bitch my money

Tell me about it :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Cinnamon Bear posted:

I think I'll pick up the green Zaku II and some different color markers next before I think about going any deeper. I should finish the RX78-01 this weekend and I'll post pictures of my terrible lining job for your amusement.

You can clean up those liner markers fairly easily. I've seen a lot of guides suggest a plain white eraser once its dried but you can also clean it up with tissue or q-tips before it dries too much.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Taintrunner posted:

I just got some God Hand nippers in the mail today, and holy poo poo, does working with these feel amazing

I saw those in a hobby store and while they did look pretty drat nippy the price tag was a little too much for a semi-casual snapper like myself.

Kuvo posted:

the ZZ is a beefy mess of a design and its pretty amazing they got that to even work

I really unironically love the ZZ and that actually looks good enough that I might want to drop the bucks on an MG.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Yesterday I snapped together the HGUC GM Cold District and today I put together the fairly new HGUC Barzam. I knew the line had come along way but holy crap this is quite the comparison. Apart from the more common changes like better joints and not just splitting legs in two and such, what really cements the changes is the Barzam's crotch is 3 separate color matched pieces. Not too long ago that would have been a sticker. Heck, I had assumed it would be a sticker and was fully prepared to begrudgingly stick it on before I opened the box. I'm glad to see some of the effort they put into the RG series is finally trickling down to the HGs.

I also put together the original GM but that thing is so darn simple not even early HG laziness can mess it up too much :v:

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

asterioth posted:

Looks like Mecha Gaikotsu is going to be done with videos for a bit, he's leaving Japan:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtLhohj5Lyk

As someone who's been living in Japan for longer than him, I would have to disagree with him, it's still pretty awesome. :v:

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

asterioth posted:

So I'm working on the Hayaku Shiki 2.0, while covering one of the few nub marks i've noticed that the gundam markers take the HK's coating off. Good thing I found that out on the underside of the hands, plus the gold marker matches nicly. Panel lining this thing is going to be a loving nightmare though.

Hayaku? Perhaps, 3 times hayaku? :hurr:

I did see that about Gundam Markers taking off metallic coatings in a book I have. The gold marker is pretty much the most reliable color I've tried though, it worked great for some details on Beargguy P. On the other side of things I find red never mixes properly.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Neurolimal posted:

My guess is that it banks on form factor, since japanese enthusiasts might not always have space for various paints and thinners, but only needs a drawer for markers and marker-sized airbrush.

In my experience in living in tiny Japanese apartments, they're not really big enough for full size setups and you'd probably get a noise complaint.

That said it's probably aimed at a younger audience who can't quite get mom and dad to drop the dolla on pro spray equipment.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

END ME SCOOB posted:

I'll back this, even if it means now I need to buy and get used to using a file. The cat clippers were rounded and on some pieces that made a difference in a flush cut or some plastic leftover.

I guess any recommendations or tips there?

The other option is carefully shaving off the remains of the gate with a craft/hobby knife.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I picked up HG Banshee Norn... the stickers.. oh dear lord、 the stickers... :negative:

I think the worst part is even if you plan to paint it, some of the stickers are pretty much mandatory because they cover great big holes.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

That's funny, I picked up the HG Phenex (G-Reco version) at Gundam Front Tokyo, and it barely had any stickers.

I counted and it has 30 small gold highlights/vents for the base Banshee and an additional 20 large gold stickers for the Norn backpack crap. Ironically enough, this is the unicorn mode but the fully splayed out destroy mode has less stickers.

Somehow between my collection of Tamiya, Mr. Color and Aqueous Hobby Color, the gold Gundam marker is still the best gold paint I own.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Neurolimal posted:

Do you have any gaianotes? Bright Brass is really good for gold.

None of the hobby stores around me stock gaianotes so I hadn't really bothered with them yet. If they're good though I'll probably pick some up next time I see some!

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Neurolimal posted:

Not entirely related to gundams, but I'm surprised by how prolific Bandai model kits are becoming, at least among toy coverage/YT channels/nerds. I certainly wasn't expecting a random glowing review of one during Ashen's stormtroopers video (especially since he seems to only have the patience for lego wrt building stuff).

From watching far too much Ashens, I've noticed he appreciates figures for detail, coloring and articulation, something you definitely cannot fault the wider Bandai model ranges for. Other than that I think the painting and gluing puts people off model making more than the basic assembly itself.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Bimmi posted:

That is the saddest thing I've seen all week.

The saddest thing I saw all week is how insanely well the gunpla girl figures are selling. The P-Bandai Fumina Command sold out within days and almost every other premium figure is on sale by lottery because they can't fill enough orders. So ya, like this guy says:

Guy Goodbody posted:

You'll get Rick Do Gyanko and you'll like it

We can expect to see many many more of these. :negative:

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Kuvo posted:

when you talk about frosting do you mean the spray gets cold as the internal pressure drops (like with compressed air cans)?

If you mess up with matte coat it'll turn a hazy white.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

asterioth posted:

So what are the odds we get RG Nu/RG Sazabi next year since it's the 30th anniversery for Char's Counterattack?

Nu, I can see and am frankly baffled why it hasn't happened yet. (They can even sell an effects package for that sweet sweet p-bandai cash!) Sazabi though I wouldn't hold my breath on. It seems like a lot of the RG choices go for the more slender mobile suits.

I imagine we'll just get another Astray frame and maybe some flavor of Banshee if we're lucky. If we're incredibly unlucky though, Bandai will combine the figure rise and RG technology to bring us RG Super Fumina. :suicide:

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Be aware there's about 20+ kits in the HGPG line now :v:.

Do it.

I pretty much have all of the regular ones. Until the 00 series comes out, there's 18 on general release including charagguys (which come with a regular bear head as well as the waifu head), plus the one included with Beargguy F. Then you start getting into the limited releases where you really have to start questioning how much you wanna pay for tiny plastic bears. For example the Taiwan only editions are going for about 40 bucks from resellers here in Japan. :stonk:

I was actually pretty lucky this week, I found the 7-Eleven special editions in a second hand store for slightly less than the going rate.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

JBP posted:

I'm mainly impressed with how good the kit is. It's clean as hell and all the gates are in smart places. I'm pumped to put this baby together.

I think the fact that most people who buy the kits won't bother painting them really gives them the incentive to make things that will look good as is, compared to the more grognardly areas of modelling where a certain level of preparation and customization is a given. Wait until you see the RG kits and things with metallic coating though, that's where it gets really crazy!

On a side note, I recently put together the HGUC Zock and I think it's my new favorite model in my collection. It's just so drat big and goofy, I love it. :3:

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Puddin posted:

RG Psycho Zaku

I ain't even gonna pretend I don't want that.

:swoon:

Ok, now I just want to see an entire line of goofy aquatic conversions.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

YamataNoOrochi posted:

Oh gently caress what did I get myself into?

That thing on the right just looks like Sandrock hit the protein powder a little too hard.

Funky Valentine posted:

The Zeong design just straight up does not look right without the shapely hips.
I'd go further to say about the only thing that ties the two together is the antenna antlers. If you put a different head on it, I doubt most people would be able to make the connection.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

How are the various 1/72 scale Bandai star wars kits? I'm nearly finished with my PG zaku and that cleans out my backlog, so was thinking about what's next.
Next thought was that PG falcon looks awesome but probably need to warm up to it

There's a pretty good pictorial rundown of the Falcon on this page. However, it was a limited run premium bandai only item and isn't on sale at the moment, so I hope you like paying out the rear end to resellers.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

Upstate New York, USA checking in with my second finished gunpla:

After doing a RG, a HG was hilariously easy and quick, but he looks good! I had fun building him, and so: my fate is sealed. My wallet will be sacrificed to the altar of buying more kits. May I become brave enough to apply stickers, amen.

The classic GM is definitely one of the more hilariously easy ones, it was a much less ambitious line back in those days.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

That Gobbo posted:

If you want a massive monster buy the HG Psycho Gundam.

I already did :smugdog:

The head is just sitting on my desk here in front of me until I'm ready to build the rest :v:

StrixNebulosa posted:

If I have any complaints about the GM, it's a short list

- Why are you teal instead of white, like you are on the box and in the manual? The teal's cute, but I'd prefer accuracy in advertising.
- Thanks to the front skirt he can't sit down, which is a bummer for posing.
- The location of some nubs, especially the ones on the front of his feet protectors. I'm not sure how to hide or get rid of those marks, and it's just... sigh. I can live with it, but man.

The colors thing is a result of the constant toss-up between having the models be exactly the same color as they were on TV or substitute an alternate real world interpretation of that color. As a result depending on where you see them a lot of things will be slightly different white, grey or teal/seafoam green. I assure you though, that the GM's tone is not nearly as shocking as the seafoam green on the HGUC Jegan, it looks like a drat bar of soap.

Your choices for cleaning up visible nubs are careful shaving with a hobby knife or sanding. Either way on certain colors of plastics you can pretty much forget hiding every stress mark! :argh:

Arcsquad12 posted:

I do wish high grades would move away from ball joint shoulders back to pegs. The peg and slot hinges on RGs work just fine.
Some of them already have, the recent HGUC Barzam in particular has the dual axis pegs with the ability to slide the joint outwards for extra lateral motion.

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Oct 25, 2017

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

That Gobbo posted:

Other than Odaiba as the obvious place to go, here's what I've got for Akihabara:

• Yodobashi Camera
  • Gundam Cafe
  • Mandarake (There are also locations in Shibuya and Nakano Broadway)
  • Yellow Submarine
  • Surugaya

You will be around when the Gundam 4v4 VR arcade demo is happening at Shinjuku VR Zone. I'll be in Tokyo at the end of November so I'm hoping it's not too packed so I get a chance to check that out.

If anyone else has good places to go in Tokyo and Osaka I'd be happy to hear them.

Seconding Yodobashi Camera. I haven't been to the Akiba store because I never go to Tokyo but Yodobashi anywhere is legitimately the best store in Japan for models and hobby supplies.

Important to note also that Mandarake is a second hand store so it's better for finding the odd rarity rather than regular stock items.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Jesus christ that's expensive for a kit that size.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Guy Goodbody posted:

for the second ever C-SPAM Gunpla Challenge, we've decided to go with a theme instead of a specific kit.
Unfortunately we can't think of a theme. What's a good theme for a Gunpla challenge?

Mobile suits on their day off

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Pierson posted:

What's the Gundam equivalent of the Osrey or F-35? Just a giant boondoggle mobile suit that got shoved through a corrupt acquisitions process that cost billions of space-dollars and kills it's pilots.

A lot of the Titans inventory counts for this. So much of it is just weirdo experimental stuff that's bankrolled on the premise that maybe this thing will be the magic bullet that defeats AEUG but just ends up getting smashed to pieces like the one before it.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Mimir posted:

Zaku Flipper and Zaku Tank are very good, imo.

I'd buy Zaku Tank even if it was an overpriced P-Bandai with an uncalled for ~specialu~ coating.

Finally got around to putting together RG Sinanju. The weird frame stuff was even weirder than I had expected. Seeing how every advanced MS joint runner is pretty much exactly the same dimensions, I get that perhaps there are some size limitations, but did it really save them that much money to do the weird frame adapter parts instead of throwing in a second advanced joint runner?

Other than that though, I found the finished result to be very pleasing. The inlays on the metallic parts put it ahead of both the HG and MG models and the gloss finish on the red plastic works really well too, though it did make it fairly brittle and harder to cut. I've also ordered the P-Bandai extras which should be coming at the end of the month.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Good thing we established that they aren't bootlegs forever ago, huh.

So if you make a NEW product based primarily off of an IP you don't own the rights to, it's NOT legitimate copyright infringement? Be right back, I gotta go whip up some original Mario merchandise before the Odyssey hype wears off..

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

worthless. posted:

Hey guys I like model kits of giant robots. What are some of your favorite giant robots? I’m building an MG Ez-8 right now what fun model kits are you guys building?

I recently finished the HG Psycho Gundam. I guess the size helps but the mechanisms are pretty darn solid for an HG. It also looks good in both Gundam mode and the Mobile Brick Fortress mode. Stickers ahoy, but it it's only HGUC 049 so I can give it a pass. I also just finished snapping together the Methuss which isn't that bad for a regular size fully transforming HG but there's something about it, and I'm not sure whether it's the proportions or just the realization of the model in 3D but the robot mode looks a little ropey so I'm leaving it in MA mode for now.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

punchymcpunch posted:

i think the decals are dry rubs, any caveats for a first timer? how easy are they to mess up?

They're very easy to mess up as you pretty much only have one chance to do it right.

Just cut out the decal you want and make sure to use masking tape to stick it in place. If you mask over the decal area you can use something like a ball point pen to rub it on and you'll be able to see where you have and haven't rubbed. Too many times I've pulled the decal sheet off only to see I missed a spot. :negative:

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Guy Goodbody posted:

new kits, and the next RG is completely unsurprising

Eh, I'm fine with this. I really rather like the Banshee and was actually close to pressing the button on the MG Norn the other day because unpainted the HG leaves a lot to be desired. RG though? Definitely. This post has saved me a lot of money. :v:

Guy Goodbody posted:

The next P-Bandai RG is also completely unsurprising

Look on the bright side, they didn't try to fob it off as a main release. Now that would have been cheeky even for Bandai.

Darth Walrus posted:

Aww, nuts, they went with the Norn as the basic version again. The original version with the claw and smartgun is way cooler.
I smell another P-Bandai only expansion set on the horizon. In a probably not so startling coincidence, orders for the PG Armed Armor expansion set have just reopened.

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Nov 20, 2017

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

For larger stickers with details underneath, pushing down and massaging with a cotton bud is a great way to mold the sticker around the details without leaving scratch marks.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Gammatron 64 posted:

You gotta have the Gundam, Guncannon and Guntank all together.

On a similar note, we have yet to receive an HGUC Revive Guntank.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

DKD posted:

Does anybody have a good way to display funnels? I've seen suggestions involving clear acrylic rods, but that seems to be a bit more involved than I want. I was thinking of just using wire, maybe even with insulation if the rubber's the right color, and anchoring the other end in one of the Kshatriya's wings.

I picked up the P-Bandai effects part set for my HG Revive Qubeley. It looks pretty good, but it's not very sturdy so I daren't touch it now it's all in place.

In other P-Bandai stuff, I got my first ever package from them today (though I'd previously bought other out of print stuff from resellers). I got the HG Type 94 Base Jabber which was a fun little quick build, it's basically the boosters from FA Unicorn kit strapped to a frame. Now I just need an extra Jegan or something to sit on it. :3:

I also got the Z'Gok Amazing and was somewhat disappointed, though not entirely surprised to find the base kit is the god drat HGUC 06 version. The molds do look very clean though so they may have recast it recently, I guess.

(And I got the RG Sinanju expansion set too, but I'm a little embarassed how much I paid for 2 rocket launchers and a bust up head. :20bux:)

Guy Goodbody posted:

i thought the Pandagguy would just be a Petitgguy with a bunch of stickers, but they actually did a whole new sculpt! The construction of the head is completely different. The Pandagguy actually uses fewer stickers than the Petitgguy!
Pandagguy is pretty drat good, probably better than it even deserves to be. They cut a lot of corners across the line but for some reason somebody up at Bandai loves them some pandas.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I really want something big and dumb.

MG Perfect Zeong? Get your toaster head on!

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Puddin posted:

RG are good and all but sometimes I just want to sit and chill and make a model in a few hours.

Yeah, I would agree that HGs are a lot more fun in the traditional sense. The simplicity of the kits make them a little more hardy too, which is relevant because while I really enjoy the RG series they can be pretty fragile. I'm afraid to touch my RG Zeta Gundam because to accommodate the may as well be magical engineering that went into fitting a full transform in a 1/144 scale figure, most of the structural pieces are bordering on paper thin.

Personally, though perhaps controversially, I think the RG series can also be a bit over-articulated at times. There's so many joints in there it's another entire process to get everything pointing in the right direction.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

I kind of want to get the HGBF Psycho GM, but I'm afraid it's kind of big for my shelf space. I hesitate to purchase Master Grades due to the display size, and the Psycho GM is even bigger despite being an HG.

I have the original Psycho Gundam model, and yeah even in brick mode it's hilariously big.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

numerrik posted:

So my local comic shop sold me a mg Justice gundam for $35, how big of a price cockup was that, I don’t even see them online under$45.

A pretty big one indeed, that's cheaper than you could even get them at a brick and mortar in Japan.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

GoBob posted:

I have the standard Damashii Sinanju, but no RG to compare it to. It's pretty solid, but finicky in a couple places. The tubing around the waist frequently pops off the skirt and the shield fairly easily pops off the connection on the shoulder armor. The waist connection is loose and can hold a tight abs crunch, but easily snaps out of a slight bend. I feel a base is best due to the backpack, unless you like messing around for a basic standing pose(looking at Dalong, it seems like they pose about the same). That said, I have no regrets with not having the RG and have no intentions of getting it.

So it's exactly the same then. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

parabolic posted:

Your intuition is definitely right, they are quite tall for HGs. Personally, I use acrylic risers to give them a little more variety and verticality.

They're a lot shallower and probably better for smaller items but Bandai also produces their own 'Collection Stage' series of risers which are 5 bucks for 2 in native pricing. (It's displayed casually!)

I'm currently using a set to show off my GM and Unicorn collections which they work for because they're all so similar you don't really need to see much of each figure to get the effect. For a more varied collection though, I think you'd want taller steps.