Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Almost had a disaster today where I was clipping out a tiny piece for the MG FAZZ and it went flying; guess I'll just stick with using godhands only for those since using the larger nippers to cut a bit off is dangerous.

So much extra plastic in this kit and they couldn't include any extras for that piece; thankfully I was able to find it after panicking for like 15 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Whoever designed the tubing build/runners for the MG Zaku should be fired into the sun. Or forced to make these things forever.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
The only unicorn kit is consider buying is the Kshatriya but there’s no MG and it seems like too cumbersome of a model to do well for in that detail. (There’s an Hg or HGUC version I think)

Other than that I don’t care for Unicorns plot or mechanical design much, the extendable psycho frame stuff just doesn’t appeal to me in a model I guess.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Looks like a review of the MkV just went up pretty recently, seems pretty good. (hope so since I bought one off pbandai)

http://schizophonic9.com/re7/mg_mk5.html

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Well, it seems like a good p-bandai kit since it's a kit from a niche series and not the protagonist suit, but then again Bandai's logic for p-bandai stuff is just all over the place.

Also Gundam Sentinel has some weird licensing issues or something.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009

Balache404 posted:

Do you guys have a preferred brand of sandpaper? I found what looked like good, high grit sandpaper from 3M but I would like y'all's opinion.

I've had very good results with the sanding sticks from Infini (which is rebranded Matador I think).

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
I looked at sidesevenexports site and reviews and they mentioned it can take awhile for things to ship out so I went with the hangar bay instead, just one example I guess but it was shipped fairly promptly, think I ordered on 3/15 and it shipped 3/22 probably because of waiting for restock at Gundam Base.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
I’m like 90% done with one, it’s a pretty good kit although it has screws since it’s mostly an upgrade over the older kit rather than an entirely new one.

It’s not super poseable due to bulk though.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
It's rarely worth the hassle unless the item is both sold and shipped by Amazon. I've bought a few p-bandai kits from Japanese sellers on Amazon and it's worked out, but YMMV and I wouldn't bother for kits that are regularly reprinted.

If you need recommendations for shops to use the gunpla reddit has a pretty decent list.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Gunpla/wiki/shopping

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009

Ibblebibble posted:

So, I just won a voucher from work for 1 item worth approx USD120 based on conversion rates. Unfortunately I can't put it to pay off for my phone that I got a couple of weeks ago, has to be a new purchase, so I decided that I might as well put it to use on gunpla. Main problem is that it's only for one item, so anything too low on price just wastes value. I was thinking either the FAZZ ver Ka or the Sazabi ver Ka, even though the Sazabi is way lower in price. Any other good MGs in the $120 range that I can try to find in stock somewhere? I know it's not enough for any PGs except for like, the really old ones annoyingly.

Edit: had a look through my local online stores. List of stuff that's in stock that are within the range of "yeah I can accept losing that much value on the voucher"
- PG granddaddy (original, not unleashed)
- MG Phenex
- P Bandai MG gundam F90 II I-Type
- MG EX-S Gundam
- P Bandai MG Gundam Seven Sword/G Trans-am
- MG FAZZ ver ka
- P Bandai MG Gundam Sandrock Armadillo
- P Bandai Testament Gundam
- MG Sazabi ver ka
- MG 00 Qant Trans-am mode special coating
- MG Gundam 00 XN Raiser

Double edit: I'm leaning away from the FAZZ ver Ka even though it's a cool beast and it's close to the voucher value because I have very recently made the ZZ ver ka and it's probably similar enough for me to not be as into it as I normally would.

Triple edit: turns out this is all moot because a family member also wants a new phone, so I'll just use the voucher on that and they'll pay me back the same amount in cash that I can use on any gunpla I want lol

Most MGs aren't that expensive, a lot of the ones that are are already in that list (EX-S, Phenex?, FAZZ, Sazabi); if you don't want to make the FAZZ I'd go with the Sazabi as it's a pretty universally praised kit, unless you like either of the P-bandai offerings. I'm not really a fan of special coating or plated kits due to most kits not being sufficiently undergated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Don’t use the slide assemble for the Zaku tubing, it’s 10000x easier just to cut each individual tube coil part out with nippers and then slide them onto the foundation tube.